Headship, Submission and Women in Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jun2u said:
The problem is who will judge a translation to be the word of God as accepted, except God? If you wrote a book and left a chapter on the kitchen table, another in the bedroom, and another chapter in the living room, etc., will you allow someone else to put the chapters together, or will you do it yourself? Don’t you think God will take care of His own word and put it together Himself? I believe He allowed and guided sinful man to put together a Holy Book which became the Bible.

I believe all Bible translations are trustworthy! My preference is KJV because the translators used the Received Text which is a far superior translation. Except for “Thee and “Thou” and few other words like “concupiscence”, and along with the warning to the reader that words in italicize are not in the original, and with Strong’s and Young’s concordances as word study helps, the KJV is the best translation as it also withstood the test of time.

Whether in forums or commentaries there are those who will push their own fallacious agendas, I agree.

To God Be The Glory
God has NEVER operated this way Jun2u. He uses men to fulfill His will, just as He inspired men to write it. IMO, God has been very diligent it ensuring His written word gas been protected and maintained, even despite the fact that there are no autographs.

No offense, but the KJV is the least reputable amount English translations, and very out of date. Nobody goes around using Elizabethan vernacular in their everyday lives, and the vast majority of users of the KJV don't really understand it. Unless you are a real Shakespearean fan, why use it?
All linguists will tell you it is NOT relevant to English today. Even the RCC has a modern English version. Also IMHO, it keeps the Bible a tad mysterious /mystical for people and assuage their cognitive dissonance in that they don't have to be responsible for something they don't RIGHTLY understand. Plus it helps preachers fill in about 10 minutes of their sermons by having to paraphrase it into our modern vernacular. :)

I agree with your last comment, which is why we all have a responsibility to 'study to shew ourselves approved'.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wormwood said:
Oz,

Glad to see you joined the discussion. Wow, I didnt log in over the weekend and it looks like people were posting every 5 minutes! As you can see, the issue I was having was not with looking at the context of difficult passages with Barrd to help explain their validity. I tried discussing context, language and a host of other issues in both OT and NT passages, but it seems to me her determination use the silence of Scripture as a launching point for all kinds of wild speculation and context manipulation...as well as a blatant disregard for much of the OT made the conversation impossible.

Also, I have Gleason Archer's book you referenced. His introductory chapters on the inerrancy of Scripture are among the best I have ever read. Excellent book.
Gleason Archer was a superb OT scholar. He spoke 30 oriental languages. The Lord took him home on April 27, 2004. Here are some 'Memorials' to him at his funeral.

In addition to being a supreme defender of inerrancy, he did not accept the 6 days of creation as 24-hour periods, as some conservatives do today. He explains this in a few of the answers to the questions in The Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
Narrative poetry.....uh, "The Walrus and the Carpenter" by Lewis Carrol....
Lyric poetry....my favorite "Ode To Joy" by Friedrich Schiller

The author writes her vision...if she's done her job well, she has turned on her reader's mind...and he will find his own vision.
Please provide me with definitions of:
  • Narrative
  • Poetry, and
  • Narrative poetry
I was not asking about narrative poetry but about the difference between narrative and poetry. Narrative poetry tells a story but it is quite different from the meaning of narrative. Please tell me what kind of style this item from the Brisbane Times is using today:

Queensland's Islamic community has vowed to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with "Christian brothers and sisters" to protect asylum seekers from being returned to offshore detention centres, "even if it means our arrest" (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/islamic-community-shoulder-to-shoulder-with-christians-to-help-asylum-seekers-20160208-gmovu2.html).
Thanks,

Oz

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
OzSpen said:
You think that they met on Sunday, then?

Someone probably should have told Paul:

Act 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
Act 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
Act 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Perhaps, if someone had sent him the memo, he wouldn't have continued "as his manner was" to worship on the sabbath.

Act 13:13 Now when Paul and his company loosed from Paphos, they came to Perga in Pamphylia: and John departing from them returned to Jerusalem.
Act 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

Here again, is Paul, going to worship on the sabbath day. Guess he hasn't been clued in, then?

Act 16:12 And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia, and a colony: and we were in that city abiding certain days.
Act 16:13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.
Act 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

Going to worship with some women by the river, on the Sabbath. What's the matter with him? Why doesn't he tell these girls that the day has been changed...we're doing it on Sunday, now?

Act 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;
Act 18:2 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them.
Act 18:3 And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers.
Act 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
Act 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

Whoa! Every Sabbath, for a year and six months?

Evidently, NT Christians did worship on the Sabbath. At least, Paul did...evidently he did it regularly.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
  • Narrative
  • Poetry, and
  • Narrative poetry
I was not asking about narrative poetry but about the difference between narrative and poetry. Narrative poetry tells a story but it is quite different from the meaning of narrative. Please tell me what kind of style this item from the Brisbane Times is using today:

Thanks,

Oz
I can do better than that, Oz. I can provide you with examples of all three...in fact, I will be more than happy to do so, from my own writing.

Narrative:

“I have a job for you, Simon of Cyrene,” Petronius told him. Simon stood listening, saying nothing. Petronius pointed at Jesus. “I want you to take his cross, and carry it the rest of the way.”
“That I won’t,” Simon told him. “You have no right to ask me to do such a thing.”
Petronius sighed. Technically, the man was right. But it went against his grain to have one of these provincials tell him what he did or did not have the right to do.
“I will rephrase,” he ground out through gritted teeth. “Rome would consider it a service, if you would be kind enough to take his cross, and carry it for him.”
Simon looked at Jesus. His face was covered in dried blood. More blood was dripping from newly opened cuts on his back, and running in streams down his arms and legs. It was impossible not to have compassion on him, he thought. What had he done, he wondered, to deserve such cruel treatment? Ah, these Romans were beasts—but, apparently, this Centurion at least had some pity. Could he do any less?
“I’ll do it,” he said quietly.
“Rome is grateful to you,” Petronius told him with a formal little bow.
Trophus led him back to where Jesus stood waiting. Jesus looked at him, and their eyes met. For just a moment, the world stood still. He heard the voices of children crying. He saw the great love of this man—and he knew. Later, alone with his wife, he would struggle to find the words to explain, but, for the moment, he knew. This was the Son of God, come into the world to save those weeping children. Children like him.
His resentment gone, he reached out and tenderly took the cross from his back. Ignoring the blood that stained his hands and his robe, he laid it across his own shoulders. He heard the sigh of relief that came from him, and something in him broke. With tears in his eyes, he heard his Master say, “Thank you, My friend.”
A strange kind of contentment filled him as he gladly fell into step behind Jesus. He was proud to bear his cross—it was the least he could do for him.

From my novel, "The First Sinner", available on Amazon under Deborah Anne Barrd

Example of poetry in next post...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
  • Narrative
  • Poetry, and
  • Narrative poetry

Thanks,

Oz
And here is Poetry:

The Saint’s Prayer
(based on the prayer by St. Francis of Assisi)

Be thou, Oh Father, ever with me
And let Thy peace be seen in me
Where there is hatred, let me sow Thy love
Where doubt, faith in the Lord above
Where despair, let me teach hope in Thee
Thy pardon for every injury
Where there is darkness, let me shine Thy light
And where there is sadness, Thy joy so bright
Not to be consoled, but to console
This is Thy plan to make me whole
Let me be Thy example, Lord
Let me bring Thy love to a hate-filled world
Not to be understood, but to understand
In Thee, Oh Lord, have I made my stand
For it is in giving that we receive
As Thou hast taught us to believe
To Thee, Oh Lord, my life I give
For it is in dying that I live
Amen
Narrative poetry is next:​

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
  • Narrative
  • Poetry, and
  • Narrative poetry

Thanks,

Oz
Narrative Poetry:

Part I
The Son

The pleasures of the flesh are calling
His young heart stops to listen
A siren song his ears enthralling
A dream of lips that glisten
A little wine to ease his heart
A little song to make him merry
Arms that open, thighs that part
His misgivings he will bury
His passion and his money spent
He awakens all alone
No swaying breasts, no flashing hips
His companions all are gone
"Why?" he cries to cold deaf ears
He's homeless, cold and hungry
"No one cares, no one hears
The city is heartless and lonely!"
He thinks of the family he left behind
He thinks of the hearts he left broken
What kind of welcome could he find
When no goodbyes were spoken?
And now, with nowhere else to go
His thoughts toward home keep turning
To face a future he doesn't know
At the prodigal's returning

Part II
The Father

He sits at the window, a broken man
Forgotten, gray and old
Remembering the touch of a tiny hand
As memory grows cold
Listening in silent dread
As if all hope were gone
For the old familiar tread
The old familiar song
Oh, where, oh where is the little boy
Where my darling one?
What happened to the boundless joy
My precious, long lost son?
Has he forgotten home and family
Now that he is grown?
The father's love, the mother's kiss
Has he left us all alone?
Noisy rooms gone quiet now
No need to shout, "Behave!"
No merry laughter, no prayers to hear
All is quiet as the grave.
Is he lost? Or is he dead?
Oh, how his heart is yearning!
His deepest, his most earnest prayer
For the prodigal's returning.

Part III
The Homecoming

There, on the deserted road
A figure walks alone
Bent as if by a heavy load
His weary steps toward home
And, there, in the window, a head comes up
And unbelieving tears
Come coursing down the withered cheek
Forgotten, the bitter years
"Father!" comes the timid voice
"My son!" the joyous cry
"My lost child, you're home at last!
A happy man am I!"
"My Father, I am sorry
For all the wrong I've done"
"My child, all is forgiven.
Welcome home, my son!"
The hillside echoes their joyous cries
As angels dance about the pair
They look into each other's eyes
And see the love reflected there
Forgotten, all the lonely years
Forgotten, temptation's burning
Forgotten, the sorrow; forgotten, the tears
At the prodigal's returning.

Part IV
The Jealous Brother

"Now, let us kill the fatted calf!
And let the guests arrive!
For he who was lost is now found
He who was dead, alive!"
Now, as the feast was carried out
With generous libation
With merry laughter, joyous shouts
And wondrous celebration
Another son, in agony
Was watching, all alone
"My father has forgotten me
Me, his loyal son."
"My son, my son", his father said
"Come, now, let's rejoice!
For he's alive, who once was dead!
Now, hearken to my voice!"
"For him you kill the fatted calf
For me, what have you done?"
"Why, everything I have is yours
My faithful, loving son."
He wouldn't see, he wouldn't hear
His heart, with jealous churning
Would not accept his father's joy
At the prodigal's returning.

Part V
The Moral

And now, in sorrow, our Father waits
And watches from above
As we follow the wicked siren's song
His heart breaks with His love
We chase our golden idols
We ignore His broken plea
We follow after every lust
Our hearts cannot be free
With ears gone deaf, and eyes gone blind
Allured by worldly pleasure
We close our hearts, we close our mind
Upon our greatest Treasure
The feast is ready, He paid the price
He extends a loving hand
Will we accept His sacrifice?
Oh, will we understand?
And will we share His happiness
As the lost ones stumble home?
Or seethe with inward bitterness
And wander off, alone?
He stands before the open gates
His heart, with patient yearning
And so our Father sadly waits
For the prodigal's returning.
From my book, "The Parables of Christ Retold" available on Amazon under Deborah Anne Barrd

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
You think that they met on Sunday, then?

Someone probably should have told Paul:

Act 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
Act 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
Act 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Perhaps, if someone had sent him the memo, he wouldn't have continued "as his manner was" to worship on the sabbath.

Act 13:13 Now when Paul and his company loosed from Paphos, they came to Perga in Pamphylia: and John departing from them returned to Jerusalem.
Act 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

Here again, is Paul, going to worship on the sabbath day. Guess he hasn't been clued in, then?

Act 16:12 And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia, and a colony: and we were in that city abiding certain days.
Act 16:13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.
Act 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

Going to worship with some women by the river, on the Sabbath. What's the matter with him? Why doesn't he tell these girls that the day has been changed...we're doing it on Sunday, now?

Act 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;
Act 18:2 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them.
Act 18:3 And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers.
Act 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
Act 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

Whoa! Every Sabbath, for a year and six months?

Evidently, NT Christians did worship on the Sabbath. At least, Paul did...evidently he did it regularly.
The Barrd,

Of course Paul would go to the synagogue to reason with people on the Sabbath. He was a converted Jew and knew that was where he would find the Jews to preach the Gospel to them.

It's too bad you didn't read further to Acts 20:7 (NIV), 'On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight'.

Paul and these Christians did not meet for the Lord's Supper on the 7th day Sabbath. It was on the first day of the week - now known as Sunday.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
I can do better than that, Oz. I can provide you with examples of all three...in fact, I will be more than happy to do so, from my own writing.

Narrative:

“I have a job for you, Simon of Cyrene,” Petronius told him. Simon stood listening, saying nothing. Petronius pointed at Jesus. “I want you to take his cross, and carry it the rest of the way.”
“That I won’t,” Simon told him. “You have no right to ask me to do such a thing.”
Petronius sighed. Technically, the man was right. But it went against his grain to have one of these provincials tell him what he did or did not have the right to do.
“I will rephrase,” he ground out through gritted teeth. “Rome would consider it a service, if you would be kind enough to take his cross, and carry it for him.”
Simon looked at Jesus. His face was covered in dried blood. More blood was dripping from newly opened cuts on his back, and running in streams down his arms and legs. It was impossible not to have compassion on him, he thought. What had he done, he wondered, to deserve such cruel treatment? Ah, these Romans were beasts—but, apparently, this Centurion at least had some pity. Could he do any less?
“I’ll do it,” he said quietly.
“Rome is grateful to you,” Petronius told him with a formal little bow.
Trophus led him back to where Jesus stood waiting. Jesus looked at him, and their eyes met. For just a moment, the world stood still. He heard the voices of children crying. He saw the great love of this man—and he knew. Later, alone with his wife, he would struggle to find the words to explain, but, for the moment, he knew. This was the Son of God, come into the world to save those weeping children. Children like him.
His resentment gone, he reached out and tenderly took the cross from his back. Ignoring the blood that stained his hands and his robe, he laid it across his own shoulders. He heard the sigh of relief that came from him, and something in him broke. With tears in his eyes, he heard his Master say, “Thank you, My friend.”
A strange kind of contentment filled him as he gladly fell into step behind Jesus. He was proud to bear his cross—it was the least he could do for him.

From my novel, "The First Sinner", available on Amazon under Deborah Anne Barrd

Example of poetry in next post...

The Barrd,

That's a red herring fallacy.

I didn't ask for examples of those three; I asked for definitions of those three.

Why are you off and running with what you want to do and not respond to what I asked of you? This makes conversation impossible when you engage in use of a logical fallacy because what you have done is resorting to fallacious/irrational reasoning.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
The Barrd,

That's a red herring fallacy.

I didn't ask for examples of those three; I asked for definitions of those three.

Why are you off and running with what you want to do and not respond to what I asked of you? This makes conversation impossible when you engage in use of a logical fallacy because what you have done is resorting to fallacious/irrational reasoning.
I think I've demonstrated rather well that I know the definitions of those three. What you are doing is just being difficult. I'm not exactly sure why...but if it makes you happy, here are the definitions:

narrative

noun nar·ra·tive \ˈner-ə-tiv, ˈna-rə-\

Simple Definition of narrative

• : a story that is told or written

Full Definition of narrative

1. 1 : something that is narrated : story, account

2. 2 : the art or practice of narration

3. 3 : the representation in art of an event or story; also : an example of such a representation

narrative adjective

nar·ra·tive·ly adverb

poetry in next post

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
poetry

noun po·et·ry \ˈpō-ə-trē, -i-trē also ˈpȯ(-)i-trē\

Simple Definition of poetry
Popularity: Top 30% of words

• : the writings of a poet : poems

• : something that is very beautiful or graceful

Full Definition of poetry

1. 1 a : metrical writing : verse b : the productions of a poet : poems

2. 2 : writing that formulates a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response through meaning, sound, and rhythm

3. 3 a : something likened to poetry especially in beauty of expression b : poetic quality or aspect <the poetry of dance>
narrative poetry in next post

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
narrative poem

noun

a poem that tells a story and has a plot

Historical Examples

• "Young Clare," by Edith Miniter, is a narrative poem of that power and polish which might be expected of its celebrated author.
    Writings in the United Amateur, 1915-1922 Howard Phillips Lovecraft

• It is a narrative poem, not a poem of lyrical allusions, not an heroic ode.
    Epic and Romance W. P. Ker

• As a narrative poem, I do not yet think it quite distinct enough, though it always rises at the right moment.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Now, if you will kindly put down the torches and pitchforks, and remember that I am not a threat to anyone, perhaps we can get back to having some civil dialogue.
Otherwise, I'm out. I've played the target in this thread about as long as I intend to.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
The Barrd said:
I think I've demonstrated rather well that I know the definitions of those three. What you are doing is just being difficult. I'm not exactly sure why...but if it makes you happy, here are the definitions:

narrative

noun nar·ra·tive \ˈner-ə-tiv, ˈna-rə-\

Simple Definition of narrative

• : a story that is told or written

Full Definition of narrative

1. 1 : something that is narrated : story, account

2. 2 : the art or practice of narration

3. 3 : the representation in art of an event or story; also : an example of such a representation

narrative adjective

nar·ra·tive·ly adverb

poetry in next post
The Barrd said:
poetry

noun po·et·ry \ˈpō-ə-trē, -i-trē also ˈpȯ(-)i-trē\

Simple Definition of poetry
Popularity: Top 30% of words

• : the writings of a poet : poems

• : something that is very beautiful or graceful

Full Definition of poetry

1. 1 a : metrical writing : verse b : the productions of a poet : poems

2. 2 : writing that formulates a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response through meaning, sound, and rhythm

3. 3 a : something likened to poetry especially in beauty of expression b : poetic quality or aspect <the poetry of dance>
narrative poetry in next post
The Barrd said:
narrative poem

noun

a poem that tells a story and has a plot

Historical Examples

• "Young Clare," by Edith Miniter, is a narrative poem of that power and polish which might be expected of its celebrated author.
    Writings in the United Amateur, 1915-1922 Howard Phillips Lovecraft

• It is a narrative poem, not a poem of lyrical allusions, not an heroic ode.
    Epic and Romance W. P. Ker

• As a narrative poem, I do not yet think it quite distinct enough, though it always rises at the right moment.
Any idiot with GOOGLE could have given you these definitions, Oz...and I'm pretty sure you know that.

Not many could provide you with examples from their own writing.

So, what have you proven?
Other than the fact that I know how to use Google...

Was there actually a point to this foolish exercise, or are you just being a noodle?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
The Barrd,

Of course Paul would go to the synagogue to reason with people on the Sabbath. He was a converted Jew and knew that was where he would find the Jews to preach the Gospel to them.

It's too bad you didn't read further to Acts 20:7 (NIV), 'On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight'.

Paul and these Christians did not meet for the Lord's Supper on the 7th day Sabbath. It was on the first day of the week - now known as Sunday.

Oz
So, you've got one example of Paul preaching after midnight, after having a farewell dinner with his friends, as he was getting ready to leave the next day. This example doesn't prove anything at all.

And here, I always thought the whole point of this story was the death of poor Eutychus. If nothing else, this little incident ought to serve as a warning to long-winded preachers. Keep it short, keep it simple, keep it interesting...and whatever else you do, keep it short. An hour is more than enough time to get your point across, and if it isn't, perhaps you don't need to be behind a pulpit to begin with. I always shoot for about 45 minutes, and that's usually enough. I have always hated long, drawn out sermons, myself, so why impose them on other people?

And you are going to fall back on the seriously lame excuse that, the rest of the time, he went to the synagogue because that's where the Jews were, so that he could preach to them?
Did you think that he might not have encountered any Jews just hanging out in Jerusalem, or in any of these other towns where Jews lived?
Do you think that he went every Sabbath for a year and a half, because he was just looking for Jews to preach to? Was Paul really so desperate as that for people to listen to him?

Oh, Oz...I gave you more credit than that, now. You disappoint me, here.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Now, if you will kindly put down the torches and pitchforks, and remember that I am not a threat to anyone, perhaps we can get back to having some civil dialogue.
Otherwise, I'm out. I've played the target in this thread about as long as I intend to.
Then I would suggest you remove the bullseye you keep painting YOURSELF with.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Then I would suggest you remove the bullseye you keep painting YOURSELF with.
My old Gran' taught me long ago...an opinion is only worth as much as the person who holds it.

Let's just say that, given some of the things we disagree on, your opinion has no value to me whatsoever.

For you to actually hurt my feelings, Stan, I'd have to actually care what you think.