"Heaven Is For Real" Is it really such a threat?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
For me, the title of this book is also the main point of the book. But Christian radio talk show host Hank Hanegraaff, (The Bible Answer Man) still rips into this book now written 3 years ago as if it were a dire threat to sound doctrine.

http://youtu.be/hhT36Dizo2s

For those of you unfamiliar with this book, it was written by Pastor Todd Burpo based on the his 4 year old son's near death experience. Colton talks about being taken up to heaven, seeing many relatives, seeing Jesus and some of the angels and saints, and then being told he needed to come back to earth. The book is certainly a target rich environment for those who want to seize upon contradictions between Colton's account and what the Bible has to say about heaven and Mr. Hanegraaff is certainly wasting no opportunity.

I have to reflect that Colton was only 4 years old. When John the Revelator was taken into heaven, he was an aged and learned man and he was confused by what he saw and had to have much of it explained to him. I doubt any of us on such a beatific journey could make heads or tails of what we saw.

But the point of the book isn't to give the reader an accurate, detailed description of heaven, it's to assure the reader that "Heaven is for real" based on the witness of someone who was there and came back.

Is that really such a terrible thing for Christians to hear?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I went to a combined Church service in another city once where a visiting speaker from the US asked by a show of hands, how many people had ever had a "near death experience". Over half the congregation raised their hands of approximately a thousand people or more... I do not think that it is a terrible thing for Christians to hear...I think that many there were led into salvation because of that experience and others hold on to their faith with everything they have got due to that little glimpse of their eternal future hope.... ^_^

Shalom!!!

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I fully agree with you. Sometimes as Christians we think we have every thing down pact, so much so that we let a story of hope be replaced with what we presume are false details. I do wonder if the experiences of heaven were written down now a part from the bible by the famous three in the bible who saw heaven if some would also denounce them for some faulty details.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If your experiences don't mesh with the teaching of the bible it is due to one of three things: Incorrect doctrine due to a misunderstanding of scripture, An elaborate deception by demons, or.Hallucinations.

Many will explain away experiences such as these as a deception and/or hallucination when they really should be questioning their understanding of scripture. People are very proud of the understanding they have acquired and it is staunchly defended against any perceived threat. Our correct understanding is given no guarantee, it is only by God's graciousness that we understand the little bit that we do. Why not accept that we can't fully understand the ways of God which are beyond understanding, and accept that his word is true on faith? Have faith that one day you will understand, but never compromise the truth as it is revealed.

Reactions: the stranger

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
This Vale Of Tears said:
Is that really such a terrible thing for Christians to hear?
Not for me. I have been there. Recently I met a guy who been there too. It was nice to compare notes. He knows somebody else who had same experience. It is not all that uncommon.

Oh by the way. You do not have to be Catholic to go to heaven.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
When I was 8 I fell down a flight of stairs. When I felt my body stop moving at the bottom, I continued to feel my spirit moving until it left my body. I was then asked by 7 angels if I wanted to come with them. I said no and found my spirit back in my body, and that's when the pain started. I didn't see Heaven, but I do believe in near death experiences. Which is kind of a wrong thing to call them. You are not "near" death, you "are" dead. God just sends you back. If it wasn't for my daughter eventually being born I am tempted to say with hind sight I should have said yes.

Anyone who mocks or scoffs at these experiences just does not have the faith to believe in them is all. Simple.

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
It is very interesting to read the examples just given. I will say one thing though. I have did a lot of reading on "NDE" on -- I will have to give it to you in a bit. Some of the experiences are just way way out there. Some certainly are not of Christian experiences. I do believe that when allowed, Satan plays a big role in some of these experiences. I am not talking about any of the above. However, when it revolves around just a big Cosmo, or a spirit of love, or a lot of other things which talks nothing about some of the basics found in the bible, it does trouble me. Going on some of these experiences alone one could lose faith in the one true God and fall right into Satan's trap. We do have to use some discernment.

http://www.near-death.com/ It may have been this one but it has been a while since my research on the topic. I do believe most are true accounts. I just wonder with some who was the directer.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Suhar said:
Not for me. I have been there. Recently I met a guy who been there too. It was nice to compare notes. He knows somebody else who had same experience. It is not all that uncommon.

Oh by the way. You do not have to be Catholic to go to heaven.
I don't think you even have to be Christian if the opportunity never availed. God will judge each man according to their works.
laid renard said:
When I was 8 I fell down a flight of stairs. When I felt my body stop moving at the bottom, I continued to feel my spirit moving until it left my body. I was then asked by 7 angels if I wanted to come with them. I said no and found my spirit back in my body, and that's when the pain started. I didn't see Heaven, but I do believe in near death experiences. Which is kind of a wrong thing to call them. You are not "near" death, you "are" dead. God just sends you back. If it wasn't for my daughter eventually being born I am tempted to say with hind sight I should have said yes.

Anyone who mocks or scoffs at these experiences just does not have the faith to believe in them is all. Simple.
Great post. I've also learned not to scoff at these experiences.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
This Vale Of Tears said:
God will judge each man according to their works.
[SIZE=medium]More catholic delusion but…. Whatever! You can believe whatever you want.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Just because some guy in fancy nightgown said so it does not mean that it is so. You can believe what pope said and I will believe in what God said. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.” John 14:6[/SIZE]

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I believe it is good to have a healthy amount of fear that one's salvation is genuine. You can believe something in your heart but can you be sure of it until it manifests in actions? Will a faith that has only been tested in the heart of the believer be sufficient in a time of trials? These are real concerns, because the heart is deceitful so shouldn't be trusted fully. Jeremiah 17:9.

But I'm not worried, because surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save. The concern I have is that I will invite the Lord's chastening if my sanctification is behind schedule.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
There has been quite a bit written about NDE's that sound trustworthy and I tend to believe most of them .... but I dont think we should use them to form doctrine

As a side note I know a man who was still-born in Hungary in the 1950's .... his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he was given up for dead.

But an old Jewish doctor spent an hour trying to resuscitate him .... and it worked.

He said he saw and learned amazing things in heaven during that hour ...... but never talks about it because nobody understands.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]More catholic delusion but…. Whatever! You can believe whatever you want.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Just because some guy in fancy nightgown said so it does not mean that it is so. You can believe what pope said and I will believe in what God said. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.” John 14:6[/SIZE]
Actually, people being judged by their works comes directly from scripture in numerous locations. Way to know your Bible!
lforrest said:
I believe it is good to have a healthy amount of fear that one's salvation is genuine. You can believe something in your heart but can you be sure of it until it manifests in actions? Will a faith that has only been tested in the heart of the believer be sufficient in a time of trials? These are real concerns, because the heart is deceitful so shouldn't be trusted fully. Jeremiah 17:9.

But I'm not worried, because surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save. The concern I have is that I will invite the Lord's chastening if my sanctification is behind schedule.
There's actually a word for that notion. Purgatory. It's a preparation for those going to heaven and it's nothing to be afraid of because Jesus will be there with us every step of the way. Some of the godliest men in history have wondered if they'll be accepted into heaven, Billy Graham is one of them, btw. Yes, we ought to tremble at the notion we will one day stand before a holy God.
Arnie Manitoba said:
There has been quite a bit written about NDE's that sound trustworthy and I tend to believe most of them .... but I dont think we should use them to form doctrine

As a side note I know a man who was still-born in Hungary in the 1950's .... his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he was given up for dead.

But an old Jewish doctor spent an hour trying to resuscitate him .... and it worked.

He said he saw and learned amazing things in heaven during that hour ...... but never talks about it because nobody understands.
That's the point of this thread and the book Heaven Is For Real, isn't it? The details aren't important, we should be celebrating the fact that somebody confirmed what we've believed our entire Christian lives. I remember watching a documentary by somebody who didn't go to heaven, but to hell or perhaps a holding place for the damned. It was a horrible place as he described it full of miserable ruined souls. The thing that really makes it believable is how much he changed. Not only did he come to faith in Christ, but he refused to quarrel with his wife. Ever. He had a perspective of how insignificant our disputes are in light of eternity and he didn't want to waste a single moment of his life being sore at his wife or anyone else. He had a healthy fear of damnation that we all ought to have.

Reactions: Suhar

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yeah, i liked the book. It was not written as theology or new revelation - i think it is quite encouraging.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
This Vale Of Tears said:
Actually, people being judged by their works comes directly from scripture in numerous locations. Way to know your Bible!
Explain away John 14:6 and then you can start on "works".

[SIZE=medium]Since you have proven complete ignorance of scriptures on that other topic I will take your “expertise” with very large grain of salt. Or two, or more…[/SIZE]
This Vale Of Tears said:
I don't think you even have to be Christian
Then why are you one?

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen2 said:
yeah, i liked the book. It was not written as theology or new revelation - i think it is quite encouraging.
And that's my point. It was written to encourage us, not to be an expert witness on what heaven is. The Burpo family has essentially said they've learned to look past all the fundamentalists attacking their book and look to all the people who were helped and comforted by it.