House Churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amen

well, It also condemns building permanent structures, paying particular attn to towers, but we aren't considering those vv at all, right
Gimmie you verse. I will look at it and see if it condemns all permanent structures and all towers.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Nothing in this quote disproves the obvious conclusion that Paul was speaking of a literal place.
ah, maybe i better get a lawyer, if we are going to proceed any further lol. Obvious conclusion to you, perhaps, but i can only reiterate that groups do not require buildings to gather together in, and you have no def of "church" as building that you can...build upon, pun intended there :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you say, but you have added the building here, see, to fit with your preconceptions. you can come together in the church anywhere. Personally i doubt Jesus would go within a million miles of a building with a cross on the roof lol
Paul desctibed it as a place. When do you plan to address that? He contrasted Church with house. When do you plan to address that?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And God was there in those literal places.
not denying that--unless He was not, of course; i doubt God is spiritually present where evil reigns, tbh, omnipresent or not--seems i recall a parable about a curtain being rent top to bottom, that should be considered here too though.

Reactions: pia

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This is an honest question - do you guys think think that house churches are more susceptible to heresy/corruption than larege churches? Or is it the same risk, but perhaps different forms?
imo when the personal definition of "church" is adjusted, this Q kind of...goes away, or whatever.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I don't have an answer for that Aspen. Wish I did. But I suspect both have a danger. Large Churches are susceptible to public opinion. Go against it and it wont stay large for long. Small Churches -- including house Churches-- can be limiting and cultish (in a bad way).
hmm, i note that all of those same things can be going on in my temple, the one i am the priest of!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we are together right now, you and i; what place would have sufficed to describe where we are right now 2 millenia ago?
"in the air" is the only one that seems to work :)
No we aren't together! The verses we are discussing are about bei g gathered together in on place. My cat is on my lap. We are in one place. I suppose since we are both on the same planet we are in one place.... But how far do we take that? The universe is onw place too. If you are on Mars and I am on earth, are we in one place? No!

This whole conversation is pretty funny... But its nonsense. You are doing everything you can to avoid admitting that the Church in 1 Cor 11 was a literal place.

Its been fun, but I am done.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right. Its not always a smokescreen. I contend it sometimes is but I retract the statement that it is a smokescreen.

Hey, I knew what you meant. No problem. I started this thread, so I feel obligated to gab, even if I've got very little to say!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
best of luck, let me know what you decide!
Lol! I asked for verses bbyrd009 had for God condemning all permanent structures and towers. This was his answer!

No verses. Just wishing me "luck" and asking for a decision on verses he doesn't provide.

Hilarious!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is an honest question - do you guys think think that house churches are more susceptible to heresy/corruption than larege churches? Or is it the same risk, but perhaps different forms?

For me personally...NO!
In all the house churches I've been in they were all with an 'open' floor.
All were free flowing..( as Paul encouraged when he said " One has a song, One has ...one has...every joint supplying.")

Sitting in some building with one guy calling the shots, there is much less "check and balance". And much less opportunity (if at all ) to say.."wait a moment , hold your horses, where did you come up with that?"
Where as, in the house groups that I have been in, the one who 'has the floor' for the moment and is sharing what they believe God gave them to share..... knows they they will have to be accountable to the listeners.. which is correct.
Re- " Let one speak and the others judge.."
The established church has pretty much done away with any witness that the do, can, and should hear, agree, and confirm, amen-ing, what is being spoken.
Some church leaders have very conveniently forgotten that the hearers have the witness of the holy Spirit in them too!

So, as you can tell Aspen...my answer is a firm NO. :D

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Gimmie you verse. I will look at it and see if it condemns all permanent structures and all towers.
ah, we can get back to that i guess, it is slowly sinking in that we are really contemplating institutions now; interesting that the one v does not seem to include your concept of institution there. Is the "preacher" pastoring or Instituting an Office, i am now led to ask. The bell curve is severe, especially in light of the monetary incentive/conflict of interest introduced, right. i can even legitimately suggest that the far end of the curve, that you hope that you occupy, has a line that you might draw elsewhere

you strike me as a great pastor, but nonetheless you were basically forced into ordination by nefarious means, right, simply from lack of perceived choices. That was the only way to get "approved" iow. Yet we are all supposed to be "pastors," right.

"Pastor" should really be defined in the framework of our responses to others, whoever we are.
Best reflected in an older brother with a favored younger sibling or something
the institution i cannot find wadr, except as an arm of the ones mentioned in the v
anyway the building vv seem really insignif now, but i'll bring them next

Last edited:

pastor marty

Aug 19, 2017
Battle Creek,Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A church is any place a group of likeminded individuals, who share the same beliefs meet up. It can be done at a stadium or someone's home. God doesn't care either way. A house church is a bit too touchy feely for me, and crosses the line of my privacy. My house is off limits.
*********mine 2;besides ya might trip over a druggie I'm tryin 2 clean up B4 rehab !

pastor marty

Aug 19, 2017
Battle Creek,Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, we can get back to that i guess, it is slowly sinking in that we are really contemplating institutions now; interesting that the one v does not seem to include your concept of institution there. Is the "preacher" pastoring or Instituting an Office, i am now led to ask. The bell curve is severe, especially in light of the monetary incentive/conflict of interest introduced, right. i can even legitimately suggest that the far end of the curve, that you hope that you occupy, has a line that you might draw elsewhere

you strike me as a great pastor, but nonetheless you were basically forced into ordination by nefarious means, right, simply from lack of perceived choices. That was the only way to get "approved" iow. Yet we are all supposed to be "pastors," right.

"Pastor" should really be defined in the framework of our responses to others, whoever we are.
Best reflected in an older brother with a favored younger sibling or something
the institution i cannot find wadr, except as an arm of the ones mentioned in the v
anyway the building vv seem really insignif now, but i'll bring them next
******(re: title o'pastor)I got picked 4 the job cause I had no outstanding warrants & actually owned a Bible****<m>****

Reactions: bbyrd009