How are we to reckon ourselves as being dead to sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can indeed ALWAYS triumph over the flesh..but that takes the power of the cross and walking in the Spirit. Reckoning ourselves to be dead to sin is akin to carrying our own cross...not being crucified on the cross of Christ. That is at a whole other level and at a depth that very few will be able to comprehend let alone experience.
This is why I find both parts of the verse, "dead indeed unto sin", and, "alive unto God in Christ Jesus our Lord" to be so important. We don't merely "put off" the one, we likewise "put on" the other, putting on the new man, putting on Christ.

I see this passage giving us a step by step "How To",

2 Peter 1:5-7 KJV
5) And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6) And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7) And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Much love!

Reactions: Keturah

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is why I find both parts of the verse, "dead indeed unto sin", and, "alive unto God in Christ Jesus our Lord" to be so important. We don't merely "put off" the one, we likewise "put on" the other, putting on the new man, putting on Christ.

I see this passage giving us a step by step "How To",
That would be like Moses getting a book on how part the Red Sea. The OT is perhaps more of a "how to" book...based on learning righteousness. But not the NT...as in..."how to raise the dead in three easy steps."

The NT speaks of a miraculous walk given to those who please Him and to whom it pleases Him to give His grace.

If you want to try a learn "how to" walk in a miraculous power over sin...by reading and re-reading what you believe is a formula found in the bible...I say good luck on that.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does it mean to you to be regenerated? Born from above? Born again? Do these each describe the same thing?

Much love!
Yes they do. But God visiting us with a gift of initial grace is not the same as going to where He is to get the full measure. God wants to be in relationship with us. For that we need to go to Him. ALL who are of faith recognize that.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a formula found in the bible...I say good luck on that.
That was one of the hardest things for me to stop doing - looking for an exact formula with God. We are creatures of habit and routine. He is not! :)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. He changes not and is Immutable. God is a God of order. God is a God of design, intention purpose and will. His revealed will is the Bible. God is knowable and God is Immutable. His yes is yes and His no is no.

hope this helps !!!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What on earth does that mean…?
It's backward speech. In French there is something called "Verlan"...it is "envers" (or backwards) with the syllables reversed.

There is a Belgian artist who calls himself "Stromae"...and that is verlan for "maestro".

Now EG has mastered the art of backward speech.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's backward speech. In French there is something called "Verlan"...it is "envers" (or backwards) with the syllables reversed.

There is a Belgian artist who calls himself "Stromae"...and that is verlan for "maestro".

Now EG has mastered the art of backward speech.
Wha….?! Lol.
run, nur, urn….what the frickety frack you talking bout epi…:jest:

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
they can run but they cannot hide.
That is a rendering from the statement by EG that read "You want to run again, Run, It will not stop me"

A brief summery of the seeming difference in meaning: The syntax and conjugation are somewhat obscured by a regulatory distortion that allows for one ideology to be juxtaposed with another in such a fashion that brain synapses misfire in exactly a proscribed series to make no sense at all of what is being spoken.

• Haha

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wha….?! Lol.
run, nur, urn….what the frickety frack you talking bout epi…:jest:
No one ran…Rita closed it. (She’s a woman too :) - and a pretty smart one!
I mean…he achieved his goal but…it’s delusional to think that was you running…
but never mind, I give up, what was I thinking trying to make sense of him. It would be like trying to figure out what Biden says in one of his fogs.
Going to go begin season 2 of The Chosen. I’ll just look only for your posts when I come back. You’re certainly the only one making sense. :)

Reactions: Episkopos

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a rendering from the statement by EG that read "You want to run again, Run, It will not stop me"
I heard this music in my head. Lol. And I saw his character spit tobacco and squint into the sun. sorry epi, but no you can’t wear the black hat.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
by reading and re-reading what you believe is a formula found in the bible...
Formula?

Or a real baptism into Christ, a real death of the old man, a real newness of life, being actually dead to sin, and actually alive unto God. A new state of being.

This isn't just about words, it's a new life. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God, but we are not reborn just by reading the Bible. So in this way I agree with what you are saying, but being baptized into Christ, shall we go on to deny the power of God in us?

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Formula?

Or a real baptism into Christ, a real death of the old man, a real newness of life, being actually dead to sin, and actually alive unto God. A new state of being.

This isn't just about words, it's a new life. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God, but we are not reborn just by reading the Bible. So in this way I agree with what you are saying, but being baptized into Christ, shall we go on to deny the power of God in us?

Much love!
Only if it stands against the power of God that is in God.

Can we boast for an acorn against the tree that produced it?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Formula?

Much love!
Amen !

Status
Not open for further replies.