How are we to reckon ourselves as being dead to sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No he doesn't use the word of God- he adds , subtracts from Gods word. Try reading the account in Genesis 3 and in Matthew 4. He deceives by twisting scripture.
Exactly...twisting the meaning of the bible to suit the flesh. But you aren't seeing how that works with the modern gospel that confirms rich people in their delusions.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is not a conjuring book that you have control over by your beliefs. You are using the bible as if it had a magic book applicability.

The bible speaks of the truth...a truth that will cut off those who misuse it to support the flesh.
when will you believe the truth of the bible then? And stop making up your own interpretations?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
when will you believe the truth of the bible then? And stop making up your own interpretations?
I'm not going to play the opposite game with you. I've tried that and you didn't get it. I've tried telling it to you straight...and you didn't get it.

There's nothing else I can say. Go to the cross.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not going to play the opposite game with you. I've tried that and you didn't get it. I've tried telling it to you straight...and you didn't get it.

There's nothing else I can say. Go to the cross.
I went to the cross 40 years ago.

You still have not found the cross..

No, I will not get your gospel. You have no gospel. You deny the payment of sin. You deny the power of the cross. You in effect deny Christ.

You want to run again, Run, It will not stop me

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible speaks of the truth...a truth that will cut off those who misuse it to support the flesh.

True.

“Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (2 Corinthians 3:17)

“For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13)

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True.

“Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (2 Corinthians 3:17)

“For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13)
or to say its not meant for us today its just a history book for believers 2000 years ago who is was written to and not for us today. that is a pretty scary thought and belief for someone to hold.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
read...

" Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."
I think this ties in:
Abraham reasoned that if Isaac died, God was able to bring him back to life again. And in a sense, Abraham did receive his son back from the dead.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
or to say its not meant for us today its just a history book for believers 2000 years ago who is was written to and not for us today. that is a pretty scary thought and belief for someone to hold.
It's meant to either lead us to God or deceive us into justifying ourselves. So either we will be blessed by it or cursed by it. It depends how we read it and what part of us we think it's speaking to.

The truth is that a modern Publican would beat his chest and quickly identify himself with the words of Jesus that say "you are poor naked, wretched and blind. But a modern hypocrite would ignore every warning and zero in on Paul, claiming to have everything he had and all that the ones whom he was speaking to had.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice the Bible below does not say anything bout consider or reckon but in facts says we died. And the fact we have been raised, not will be or consider yourself raised. We have actually died and have been raised. Scripture interprets scripture. Its why no verse stands in isolation from the rest. Thats where false teaching gets its foot in the door.
Yes, the Bible tells us we've died, and having died, we are now freed from sin, and that we should reckon this so. Pretty straightforward to say.

Our walk is by faith, and not by sight, why? Because not everything looks like what is actually true. All things are put under Him, but we do not see all things under Him yet.

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's meant to either lead us to God or deceive us into justifying ourselves. So either we will be blessed by it or cursed by it. It depends how we read it and what part of us we think it's speaking to.

The truth is that a modern Publican would beat his chest and quickly identify himself with the words of Jesus that say "you are poor naked, wretched and blind. But a modern hypocrite would ignore every warning and zero in on Paul, claiming to have everything he had and all that the ones whom he was speaking to had.
No one is trying to justify themself my friend. Your continued slander of people will not go unnoticed

Reactions: mailmandan

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now in Romans 6:11 we read...

" Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."
How to reckon yourself dead to sin? Accept the truthfulness of the passage a few verses above,

Romans 6:3-7 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7) For he that is dead is freed from sin.

We should believe these words. Reckon this to be true. I think God speaks this way because it's easy to not account in our minds that this is in fact what God has done, IF we've been baptized into Jesus Christ.

Our walk is by faith and not sight. God is instructing our faith.

And not at all just that we are dead indeed to sin, but also that we are now alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Dead indeed to sin is like closing the door to darkness, alive unto God is like opening the door to light.

Simply put, we are to believe the words of the Bible, including this part, that our old man was crucified with Jesus, that this actually produced his death. Jesus died, and our old man died. Jesus rose, and now we are alive in Him.

Another great topic, and I'm glad you decided to look at this part.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No one is trying to justify themself my friend. Your continued slander of people will not go unnoticed
Why is all the truth I'm trying to convey to going unnoticed? Why is truth seen as slander? Consider the part of you that motivates that reaction. Think...is it carnal? Is it a divine nature?

Why is it every time I speak of hypocrites in general you take it personal?

i realize that if I changed my profile and posted as a different person...I would get about half my posts approved by the majority. But since it is the nature of carnal men to judge by an emotionally biased reaction, as soon as they see who it is...I'm automatically wrong.

In contrast I will like and approve whenever there is truth being avowed. My goal is not to have control over others. That's the flesh that seeks to stifle and control. My goal is that we ALL come to the knowledge of the truth.

So lets get all the future condemnation out of the way...

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How to reckon yourself dead to sin? Accept the truthfulness of the passage a few verses above,
Not accept the truthfulness for oneself. Seek God and ask Him to make it a reality in your life. Why all the reactions against seeking God for power and truth? Would it be like the mafia calling the police?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the Bible tells us we've died, and having died, we are now freed from sin, and that we should reckon this so. Pretty straightforward to say.

Our walk is by faith, and not by sight, why? Because not everything looks like what is actually true. All things are put under Him, but we do not see all things under Him yet.

Much love!
The facts are we have died with Christ and have been raised with Him, So based upon these facts we should consider/reckon ourselves to be dead to sin and alive in Christ. So the considering is based upon the truth of our death and resurrection in Christ. Its a faith/trust issue.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that mean we can claim to be without sin by a mere reckoning? We can only reckon with our mind. Our reckoning helps to line up our way of thinking with the direction we are hoping to go in. Only God can rescue us from the power of the flesh.
Whether or not we commit sins is a matter of fact, and not some trick of the mind to ignore facts. Believing what is true is not a mental trick itself.

I would say that if we are using "reckoning" as a means to "line up our thinking in the direction we are hoping to go", isn't that like "the power of positive thinking"? Like, I want to be sinless, so I'll imagine that I am sinless?

But if we are reckoning the truthfulness of something that is true, then we are aligning ourselves with reality.

Some struggle with the question of, why, if we are dead to sin, does sin still seem to have a hold?

And the answer is, if you are not reckoning that you are dead indeed to sin, it means you think you are not actually dead to sin, and you'll believe you have to sin, and you will have ascribed power to sin that it no longer has.

Much love!

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is all the truth I'm trying to convey to going unnoticed?
because it is NOT truth?

Why is truth seen as slander?
Its slander when it is NOT TRUE
Consider the part of you that motivates that reaction. Think...is it carnal? Is it a divine nature?
It is calling out a sinner ans asking him to repent and stop bearing false witness against other people
Why is it every time I speak of hypocrites in general you take it personal?
Me take you? The number 1 hypocrite here. personal? Don't think so highly of yourself my friend. I take nothing you say personal.
i realize that if I changed my profile and posted as a different person...I would get about half my posts approved by the majority. But since it is the nature of carnal men to judge by an emotionally biased reaction, as soon as they see who it is...I'm automatically wrong.
You could post under any name, male or femal. If you post the stuff you post now. You would still get the same flack.

Its not about you, Its about your words.
In contrast I will like and approve whenever there is truth being avowed. My goal is not to have control over others. That's the flesh that seeks to stifle and control. My goal is that we ALL come to the knowledge of the truth.

So lets get all the future condemnation out of the way...
if your goal is to come to knowledge of the truth, then open your mind up. and lets both seek to find the truth.

As long as in pride you think you KNOW IT ALL.. WE will never come to an undestanding of truth.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not accept the truthfulness for oneself.
I'm not sure what you mean here. In rebirth, God makes us a new person. We should believe that.

Seek God and ask Him to make it a reality in your life.
Amen!

John 1:12-13 KJV
12) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13) Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And in being reborn,

Philippians 2:12-13 KJV
12) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13) For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

And many other places like that.

Are you suggesting that the one who believes these things true, that our old man was crucified with Jesus, that we are dead to sin, freed from sin, and alive unto God, that believing these things means somehow that we don't seek God, His Spirit, His power to walk in this truth?

Much love!

Status
Not open for further replies.