How could the Messiah be sinless?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Jesus was sinless, because God cannot sin.

That tells you who Jesus is.
Do you believe that the Word, who was God (John 1:1), became flesh (John 1:14), in the person of Jesus? I think the subject question of this thread is premised on that.

Tong
R0918

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If you'll state it plain and simple, in the OT, God saved through what if not through faith? Will that be by perfect obedience to the law? For I recall what Paul said about the circumcised, that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. Can you name one who was saved in the OT times and how he was not saved through faith but by the Law? Or is what you say there in your post just your own conclusion and opinion?

Tong
R0915
Hebrews 11, with all those OT examples, shows it was emphatically by faith...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being there, Im fine. But you are responsible for so many as a teacher, be careful what you wish upon others, it may fall upon you.

I do not wish condemnation on you, friend. I wish only the best for you.

And I know that in responding to the call to teach, I have chosen the better part; for I have not hidden my talent in the sand, laid up in a napkin, thinking the Lord to be an austere man.

And why did you keep them from me?? Jesus asks,, well Jesus, its like this, im a teacher.....

Also, I am most certainly not attempting to keep people from Him. I am wanting to win people to Him.

We can only do what we know best and hope that it's blessed; and Jesus takes care of the rest (to put it in the words of a song by Keith Green).

Reactions: Nancy

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Yes, I do believe as you say. :)
Then, how do you answer the question "How could the Messiah be sinless?" with respect to the truth that He had partaken of flesh and blood, made like His brethren, in the likeness of men?

Tong
R0919

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hebrews 11, with all those OT examples, shows it was emphatically by faith...
That's why I was asking @DNB, who believes that Faith was not the means to salvation during the Old Covenant but was by the Law, how one is saved by the law and name one who was saved in the OT times and how he was not saved through faith but by the law.

Tong
R0920

Reactions: farouk

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's why I was asking @DNB, who believes that Faith was not the means to salvation during the Old Covenant but was by the Law, how one is saved by the law and name one who was saved in the OT times and how he was not saved through faith but by the law.

Tong
R0920
I wouldn't even deal with @DNB for the most part...he denies the Deity of Christ, which means he is not a Christian; and is carrying doctrine contrary to what you have learned (see Romans 16:17)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible clearly says that every human will sin someday:

There is no human who does not sin. (1 Kings 8:46)

But then how could the Messiah be sinless?

I would say that the spirit in the Messiah was not a human spirit but the spirit of God. The Spirit of God in the flesh, therefore John 1:1 and 14. But then one asks oneself the question, did the incarnation of the Spirit create another person separated from the father? Should one think that God has begotten a real son? That God has begotten a real son sounds illogical to me, since this would then be a second God, but if the Messiah is the Father, one would have to ask oneself why the Bible constantly separates the Son from the Father.
Jesus Christ, the Messiah, was born into sin, but did not sin. He became sin, lowered Himself in sacrifice that He might save the world from sin, but sinned not.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I wouldn't even deal with @DNB for the most part...he denies the Deity of Christ, which means he is not a Christian; and is carrying doctrine contrary to what you have learned (see Romans 16:17)
My asking him is a strong objection and disagreement to what he teach.

Tong
R0924

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Scriptures to back up what you just said about Jesus.
"He had partaken of flesh and blood, made like His brethren, in the likeness of men"

Hebrews 2:14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Phil. 2:7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

Tong
R0925

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, the Messiah, was born into sin, but did not sin. He became sin, lowered Himself in sacrifice that He might save the world from sin, but sinned not.

He became sin for us when He died upon the Cross.

Before that, and during His life, and after His resurrection, He was and is without sin (2 Corinthians 5:21, Hebrews 4:15, 1 Peter 2:22, 1 John 3:5).

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"He had partaken of flesh and blood, made like His brethren, in the likeness of men"

Hebrews 2:14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Phil. 2:7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

Tong
R0925
The NLT Bible puts Hebrews 2:14 better. "Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying and rising again could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death."

The "Summarised Bible" explains it like this:-

God took on (partook) of our flesh and blood and became like us (but sinless) so that He might die in our place. For as God He could not die, therefore He assumed another nature and state. To be a perfect Savior of mankind, He must in every way take man’s place being proven perfect under all conditions, and then, as the perfect One, bear our sins. Because of His sufferings as a man, He is made a merciful High Priest, in every way qualified to succor His people.

Philippians 2:7
But made himself of no reputation - Ἑαυτον εκενωσε· He emptied himself - did not appear in his glory, for he assumed the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of man. And his being made in the likeness of man, and assuming the form of a servant, was a proof that he had emptied himself - laid aside the effulgence of his glory.
(Clarke)

Jesus himself did not sin, instead he took our sins upon himself and HE paid the penalty of death instead of us, thereby redeeming us from our sins. Only a sinless God could do this and make our sins whiter than snow. (Cooper)

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The NLT Bible puts Hebrews 2:14 better. "Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying and rising again could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death."

The "Summarised Bible" explains it like this:-

Quite simply God took on (partook) of our flesh and blood and became like us so that He might die in our place. For as God He could not die, therefore He assumed another nature and state. To be a perfect Savior of mankind, He must in every way take man’s place being proven perfect under all conditions, and then, as the perfect One, bear our sins. Because of His sufferings as a man, He is made a merciful High Priest, in every way qualified to succor His people.

Philippians 2:7
But made himself of no reputation - Ἑαυτον εκενωσε· He emptied himself - did not appear in his glory, for he assumed the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of man. And his being made in the likeness of man, and assuming the form of a servant, was a proof that he had emptied himself - laid aside the effulgence of his glory.
(Clarke)

Jesus himself did not sin, instead he took our sins upon himself and HE paid the penalty of death instead of us, thereby redeeming us from our sins. Only a sinless God could do this and make our sins whiter than snow. (Cooper)
So, having gone through that, then how do you answer the OP question "How could the Messiah be sinless?" with respect to the truth that He had partaken of flesh and blood, made like His brethren, in the likeness of men, with the OP arguing that every human will sin someday, and that scriptures say that there is no human who does not sin?

Tong
R0928

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, having gone through that, then how do you answer the OP question "How could the Messiah be sinless?" with respect to the truth that He had partaken of flesh and blood, made like His brethren, in the likeness of men, with the OP arguing that every human will sin someday, and that scriptures say that there is no human who does not sin?

Tong
R0928
Jesus did not commit any sins himself, He (God with us) is sinless now and forever more. Jesus took OUR sins upon himself. Philippians 2:7 tells us he was "made in the likeness of man."

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1 Peter 2:22 who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth;

2 Corinthians 5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

Luke 1:35 The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

1 John 3:5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.

Matthew 27:24 When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather that a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd, saying, “I am innocent of this Man’s blood; see to that yourselves.”

John 19:4 Pilate came out again and *said to them, “Behold, I am bringing Him out to you so that you may know that I find no guilt in Him.”

John 8:29 And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.”

Isaiah 53:9 His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.

1 Peter 1:18-19
knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

The above is about the sinlessness of Jesus. What we have from the OP is a grave misunderstanding of two verses.

(LIghts out.)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And I know that in responding to the call to teach, I have chosen the better part; for I have not hidden my talent in the sand, laid up in a napkin, thinking the Lord to be an austere man.
Yes the world is filled with teachers I wonder how many where really called, or just think because they read a bit in the bible they might be. Would you ever get up on a pew and tellmen , Hey you dont need me, Jesus came so you could learn from Him, go find Him for yourself,The Spirit of God teaches us we dont need men. I seriously doubt you could.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@justbyfaith

15 He said to them, But who do you say I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 Jesus answered and said to him, You are blessed, Simon, son of Jonah, for flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father in Heaven

And according to you I have a demon really, so than so must have Peter