How is Jesus the light of the world?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.

God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good topic. addressing the OP only, Light can also be used metaphorically for "WISDOM", and "UNDERSTANDING.

just as in Genesis 1 "Light"/Day can indicate "Knowledge and Understanding" which is Wisdom. and Night/Darkness which can signify "Ignorance".
John 1:9 "That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world".
this can be signfying spiritual knowledge and understanding, or better known as common sense. just as each man is given the measure of Faith, likewise we all have common knowledge, or God given sense.

so if you want to know the truth, ask and it shall be given unto you. for ye have not because ye ask not.

PICJAG.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You also may find this "enlightning":
John 9
[5] As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
John 17
[11] And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
Mat. 5
[14] Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:6-9 . .There came a man who was sent from God; his name was
John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through
him all men might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a
witness to the light: the true light that gives light to every man, was coming
into the world.

In order for that passage's claim to be correct, the light would have to
enlighten "every man", in other words: beginning with Adam thru to time
indefinite.

John 1:18 . . No one has ever seen God. The only begotten Son, who is at
the Father’s side, has revealed Him.

Again, in order for that passage's claim to be correct; it would have to begin
with Adam.

Jesus Christ-- a.k.a. The Word of John 1:1-14 --has been busy illuminating
the world with the true light since the very beginning of humanity; and that
totally includes people of the world who know nothing of Jesus Christ
because he is, and always has been, the light of not just some of the world,
but the whole world; maybe not always in his human state, but certainly
always in his divine state.
_

Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and love is God.

While we know that the scripture says that God is love; we cannot make the conclusion that the inverse is also true (that love is God). Love might be considered to be an esoteric value that is impersonal; but God is personal and the fact that He is love means that He is a personal God who in His very nature can be defined as love: God is personal love.

However, impersonal love is not God; for God is a Person.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ummm got to think about that one @justbyfaith God is everything but 'a person'. Depending on what you are meaning here. hmm[1].gif

God IS...
Love...IS...

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You also may find this "enlightning":
John 9
[5] As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
John 17
[11] And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
Mat. 5
[14] Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
correct. the church is that city that impart "knowledge" and "Understanding"/Light, unto the dark/lack of understanding wordl, well at least it should be doing that

so keep the lights on.

PICJAG.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The world is in darkness, thus, Jesus is he who brings the light into the world, that leads the way to truth and salvation.
He is the beacon and the lighthouse, drawing people into safety, security and life.
Through Christ there is light, truth and glory, and without him there is darkness, blindness and shame.

Reactions: justbyfaith