1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Is The Greatest Commandment Kept?

Discussion in 'Christian Spirituality Forum' started by Hidden In Him, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Not me

Not me Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Your more than welcome;

Working towards the “more”. I love that thought, be blessed as we all strive for the more.

In Christ, Not me :)

2. Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yes, yes. I'm not arguing for making everyone the same. But regardless of one's calling and ministry, every member of the body has to have the Power and Presence of God in order to fulfill their purpose. And that power comes through the very activities I was asking you about:

Believers prayed incessantly, so that the Spirit would speak through them (1 Thessalonians 5:16-19; Ephesians 6:18-19); God inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3), so they were continually singing to one another in psalms and hymns (Colossians 3:16); and they were continually meditating on His words because His words are Spirit and Life (John 6:63).

How can any member of the body fulfill their calling without His empowerment, and how can His empowerment come without these activities?

3. Episkopos

Episkopos Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

What I'm trying to communicate to you was they were a "they" not just individuals...they were joined together as a community of faith. Not just meetings. It was every day.

4. Truth

Truth Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yes! You are correct, as I presumably jumped right to how we are to Love one-another, in Deuteronomy 5:29 after the giving of the 10 commandments, God responds to Moses " Oh, that they had such a Heart in them that they would Fear ME and always keep all My Commandments! Also in Deuteronomy chapt's 28 & 29 there are many verses about the Heart? To which men stood or fell. The Greatest Commandment is and always will be to Love God, without that How would we ever Love our fellow man!
    At an early age I had a strong concern for other's, But, and only after I received the Gift was I able to understand what my concern for others was about, and with His love I am able to Love others without reservation. I have come to understand what Blessed are the Poor in Spirit relates to, to weep and morn for the souls that are still without the Grace of God in their lives. to Grieve and Morn for the wickedness that permeates this world.
    Sorry I went sideways!

Hidden In Him, amadeus and Helen like this.
  5. DoveSpirit05

DoveSpirit05 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    I could but its pretty simply, if u love God ull keep his commandments, not much else 2 say on dat!!

6. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    I fear you may be offended by what I'm going to write, but you did ask the question.
    The short answer is no. If you are performing these fasts etc. to try to get right with God, then I would describe them as dead works. We cannot get right with God by the things we do; our good deeds are like filthy rags before God.
    But whatever your motivation, the practices are not the righteousness of God. The righteousness of God is that bestowed by the Lord Jesus Christ to those for whom He died (2 Corinthians 5:21; 2 Peter 1:1). We need a righteousness that is greater than that of the scribes and Pharisees (Matthew 5:20), and in Jesus Christ, we possess it by faith (Romans 3:21-22).

The good works that we are to do are those which God prepared in advance for His already justified people to perform (Ephesians 2:8-10). These will flow naturally as the Christian exhibits more and more the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness (or 'meekness'), self-control. At the same time, the Spirit leads us to hate sin as God hates it, and to battle it all our lives (eg. Colossians 3:5-8), knowing that God will give us the victory. 'For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace' (Romans 6:14). Note that it is not 'must not' or 'should not;' 'shall not!' The thing is absolutely certain if you're a Christian.

Helen and amadeus like this.
  7. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That is not by chance close to Joel's bar is it? If so we a may meet in passing, but Joel's only serves that "new wine", ya know...!

Hidden In Him, bbyrd009 and Helen like this.
  8. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    What we do should be and must ultimately be directed by God in us. We may be doing some of those things: prayers, fastings, giving alms, reading the scriptures, but always our Director is not to be our own self, but the Holy Spirit in us. It needs to be the Holy Spirit in us directing us to do any of those things:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

9. VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You won’t like the answer wadr...what does #48 have to do with the greatest commandment?

John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

“...I will give ...my flesh” which “I will give for the life of the world.” Is it not the same for “He who loses his life for My sake, will find Life.”

(Isaiah 58:6)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    amadeus likes this.
  10. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

John 6 is a great chapter! so searching! (I don't myself see the Lord's Supper in John 6, BTW.)

VictoryinJesus likes this.
  11. VictoryinJesus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    “I don't myself see the Lord's Supper in John 6, BTW”

Not sure what you mean? What do you see there in Him saying He is the bread?

12. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Some ppl see John 6.51 as referring to the Lord's Supper; I don't; it seems strongly to be a reference to feeding on Christ by faith.

Steve Owen likes this.
  13. Earburner

Earburner Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Only Christ is able to love God with all His heart.
    If one is born again of/by the Holy Spirit of God, it is by Christ's presence within us, that through us, He does. Therefore by abiding in Him through faith, WE DO also.
    Gal. 2[20] I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

14. VictoryinJesus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Will sleep on it. It’s been a sad day and probably not the best time to respond to any thing. Interested. In the morning hopefully.

15. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    That is just nonsense. Fasting, prayer, worship, study of the Word, etc. are Christian practices of those who already have the righteousness of God imputed to them. They are all a part of sanctification.

Hidden In Him and friend of like this.
  16. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    narf

amadeus likes this.
  17. brakelite

brakelite Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    @Hidden In Him I came to this thread specifically to mention Isaiah 58. I remember as a young Christian over 40 years ago asking God what He wanted of me. His reply was Isaiah 58. But being a Pentecostal at the time,I didn't take the last two verses to heart, believing them invalid. 20 years later as I was studying about the Sabbath and meditating and praying as to its validity to the Christian faith, the Lord again impressed me to read Isaiah 58. All of it. That chapter was the first scripture I learned by heart. Didn't take much to add two verses to the memory bank. It is still my favorite portion of scripture...So personal...And I still have a hand written calligraphy I did of that chapter 20 years ago. .

Hidden In Him likes this.
  18. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    You're actually agreeing with me. I am not criticizing prayer, worship, study of the Word, etc. - not at all - but they are not the righteousness of God, which is what you are saying. I have some unease over fasting as a part of sanctification, though if some folk find it beneficial, I will not criticize. It does seem to me that fasting, even in the O.T. was something done at certain critical times (cf. Ezra 8:21-23; Esther 4:16). I think it is also worth reading Isaiah 58 and check out one's motivation for fasting.

When we have done all these things, we are still 'unprofitable servants.' We do not earn bonus points from God by doing them.

From the Heidleberg Catechism, 1563:

Q1. What is thine only comfort in life and death?
    Ans. That both in body and soul whether I live or die, I am not my own, but belong wholly unto my faithful Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who by His precious blood most fully satisfying for all my sins, hath delivered me from all the power of the devil, and to preserve me, that without the will of my heavenly Father, not so much as a hair may fall from my head, yea, all things must serve for my safety. Wherefore by His Spirit also He assureth me of everlasting life, and maketh me ready and pre[ared that henceforth I mau live to Him.

Q2. How many things are necessary for thee to know, that thou enjoying His comfort mayest live and die happily?
    Ans. Three. The first, what is the greatness of my sin and misery. The second, how I am delivered from all sin and misery. The third, what thanks I owe unto God for this delivery.

19. VictoryinJesus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Struggled with a reply because don’t necessarily disagree in “it seems strongly to be a reference to feeding on Christ by faith” but thrown at this is not the Lord’s supper. See (if I’ve understood) you are saying the words are Spirit spoken in John 6:5 but that is the bread one is to eat of from above. So as to not derail the thread will leave it there. Spiritual as also 1 Corinthians 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

God said He would add drunkenness to their thirst ...and pretty sure confusion. The word instructs to be sober and to have tables to eat of at home, so when coming together it is “to care for one another.”

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  20. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    How can they not be the righteousness of God being worked out in sanctification by the Holy Spirit? "For it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure".

Hidden In Him likes this.