How the religious make a mockery of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nehushtan is the Snake on a Pole that the Wanderers looked to in the desert to save them when they got snakebit; if they didn't look at Nehushtan, they died. 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,
Thank you so much, I really had no clue about that. Not even sure I have read the entire account of Moses and the 40 years in the wilderness, I have read some but could not recall seeing that word.
Thanks for taking the time :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amen, and yes, surely.
So then how is it that we can possibly "judge by the fruit," if we cannot judge between sweet and bitter fruit?
Someone who had the Holy Spirit within and is not quenching that Spirit, but rather is paying attention will be able to discern the difference. Some people, I believe, say they have the gift of the Holy Spirit when they do not, or they have formed the habit of quenching the Spirit when doing otherwise would conflict with a "pet" doctrine of theirs.

Many organized church groups routinely teach people to quench the Spirit. Of course they do not call it that and very probably they do not realize that that is what they are doing. They may call it doing things in order, but quenching the Holy Spirit in you is certainly not correct according to God's order as I understand it.

Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Someone who had the Holy Spirit within and is not quenching that Spirit, but rather is paying attention will be able to discern the difference. Some people, I believe, say they have the gift of the Holy Spirit when they do not, or they have formed the habit of quenching the Spirit when doing otherwise would conflict with a "pet" doctrine of theirs.

Many organized church groups routinely teach people to quench the Spirit. Of course they do not call it that and very probably they do not realize that that is what they are doing. They may call it doing things in order, but quenching the Holy Spirit in you is certainly not correct according to God's order as I understand it.
it is tempting to think that experience would be a guide, but it also either is or it isn't, huh. We are told to "judge by the fruit," but i am seeing that it is a statement like "come, let us reason together," iow some fun is being poked in a way, because we obviously have plenty of examples from our own lives where we were--or still are--unreasonable (in a bad way), or in denial of the cause and effect, reap what you sow thing.

Reactions: pia and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is tempting to think that experience would be a guide, but it also either is or it isn't, huh. We are told to "judge by the fruit," but i am seeing that it is a statement like "come, let us reason together," iow some fun is being poked in a way, because we obviously have plenty of examples from our own lives where we were--or still are--unreasonable (in a bad way), or in denial of the cause and effect, reap what you sow thing.
Oh yes, and I have reaped some very edifying but uncomfortable things as a result of my ignorance and/or foolishness and/or stubbornness over the years. People [meaning usually church groups or denominations] want to have it all quiet and settled right now with no waves allowed, and they sometimes sacrifice their walk with God to achieve a stable unchanging church. Of course, they might not even realize that what they have done is quench the Holy Spirit of God. Yet, they may be willing to fight to retain the status quo and will teach others to behave the same.

Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Mary, my salvation depends 100% of Jesus Christ, He is The Way, the only Way.We will probably disagree on this too!! :)
Hi BG,

You are right. Our salvation does depend on Jesus Christ.

Can you quote the passage from scripture that backs up your statement?

Curious Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi BG,

You are right. Our salvation does depend on Jesus Christ.

Can you quote the passage from scripture that backs up your statement?

Curious Mary

Yes , for sure I can, ....but I'm not going to....I am sure you know the scriptures just as well as I do. :)
Foundations of our faith.

Reactions: pia

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes , for sure I can, ....but I'm not going to....I am sure you know the scriptures just as well as I do. :)
Foundations of our faith.
Hi BG,

My dear friend. I don't know scripture as well as you. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking. You seem to know something about scripture that I don't. Or maybe you don't since you refused to answer.

You stated salvation depends 100% on Jesus Christ and he is the way, the ONLY way.

It appears you are saying ONLY Christians go to heaven. Where does it say that in scripture?

Curious Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Oh yes, and I have reaped some very edifying but uncomfortable things as a result of my ignorance and/or foolishness and/or stubbornness over the years. People [meaning usually church groups or denominations] want to have it all quiet and settled right now with no waves allowed, and they sometimes sacrifice their walk with God to achieve a stable unchanging church. Of course, they might not even realize that what they have done is quench the Holy Spirit of God. Yet, they may be willing to fight to retain the status quo and will teach others to behave the same.
"A spirituality that preaches resignation under official brutalities, servile acquiescence in frustration and sterility, and total submission to organized injustice is one which has lost interest in holiness and remains concerned only with a spurious notion of 'order.'" Thomas Merton Bystander
https://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-the-Fallacy-of-Death-Centric-Western-Christian-Models

Reactions: amadeus and pia

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Hi BG,

My dear friend. I don't know scripture as well as you. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking. You seem to know something about scripture that I don't. Or maybe you don't since you refused to answer.

You stated salvation depends 100% on Jesus Christ and he is the way, the ONLY way.

It appears you are saying ONLY Christians go to heaven. Where does it say that in scripture?

Curious Mary

it is even stranger than that viz only Catholic/Christians go to heaven so by the grace of God all must be and are born again as Catholics = extra ecclesiam nulla salus imho - so please don't hurt or harm Catholics - twinc

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are quite right sir and may I also commend you for following the truth.

To Judaize was made an evil thing early in the Christian movement even though Christ is a Jew and he set Jews to carry his message to the world.

On the venerable Day of the sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits: because it often happens that another Day is not so suitable for grain sowing or for vine planting: lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.
Constantine (321 AD)

Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday (Sabbath), but shall work on that Day: but the Lord’s Day, they shall especially honour; and as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ.
Catholic Church Council of Laodicea (364 AD)

I'm glad you mentioned idolatry. This truth will likely also "bring on indignation" (as you said) to a great extent. The symbol / idol of the Christian cross is a pagan symbol adopted during the early years of Catholicism.

"That which is now called the Christian cross was originally no Christian emblem at all, but was the mystic Tau of the Chaldeans and Egyptians -- the true original form of the letter T -- the initial of the name of Tammuz [...] That mystic Tau was marked in baptism on the foreheads of those initiated in the Mysteries, and was used in every variety of way as a most sacred symbol. [...] The Vestal virgins of Pagan Rome wore it suspended from their necklaces, as the nuns do now. The Egyptians did the same [...] There is hardly a Pagan tribe where the cross has not been found. The cross was worshipped by the Pagan Celts long before the incarnation and death of Christ." (Tom Harper, The Pagan Christ, pp. 45-46)

"A still more curious fact may be mentioned respecting this hieroglyphical character [the Tau], that the early Christians of Egypt adopted it [...] numerous inscriptions, headed by the Tau, are preserved to the present day on early Christian monuments." (Wilkinson's Egyptians, by Sir J. G. Wilkinson, volume 5, page 283-284)

The use of the cross as a religious symbol in pre-Christian times, and among non-Christian peoples, may probably be regarded as almost universal, and in very many cases it was connected with some form of nature worship."
(The Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th edition, 1910, volume 7, page 506)

Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God...

God does not change.... what they didn't like in the old testament they most assuredly won't like in the new.

This was refreshing, I know that we are not alone, but sometimes it feel's that way. My wife and I researched this and much more 13 years ago, so your post was a refined statement, compared to my of the cuff statements. Thank You

Reactions: KBCid

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well this will bring on indignation, The forth Commandment Remember the Sabbath, this Day was changed, because the law said that we will not keep the Feasts of the Jews, nor any of their Sabbaths, do not blame the Catholic Church, this was established by a Roman Emperor, and if you disobeyed it you lost your head! Constantine made this edict at the Counsel of Trent, He also said this, Sol Invictous my companion! he was saying the unconquered SUN my companion, and so we have Sun-Day which was when they worshiped the "Sun"! I have been keeping the Sabbath described in the 10 commandments for 13 years, and it is a delight, there are many other things that are observed that are a hand me down over the centuries, that are watered down forms from Idolatry.
Sabbath Day is now "small business day" lol what an abomination

Reactions: KBCid

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is even stranger than that viz only Catholic/Christians go to heaven so by the grace of God all must be and are born again as Catholics = extra ecclesiam nulla salus imho - so please don't hurt or harm Catholics - twinc
Hi twinc,

I am glad you put imho in your statement because it is your opinion and not true. We all have opinions, however, it is best to back them up with facts.

Please take the time to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church #847.

Mary

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Hi twinc,

I am glad you put imho in your statement because it is your opinion and not true. We all have opinions, however, it is best to back them up with facts.

Please take the time to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church #847.

Mary

847 is right and correct and so is EENS - see my post re Lk 10:16 - twinc

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....And Wyclif, by thus translating the Bible, made it the property of the masses and common to all and more open to the laity, and even to women who were able to read … And so the pearl of the Gospel is thrown before swine and trodden underfoot..... Henry Knighton canon of St. Mary's, Leicester

Who could deny the very Christ like behavior of Henry.....

speedyj1992

Sep 19, 2017
Silicon Valley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just reading a post from one saying about being obedient to the ordained. No guessing to what religion this is. But you see this statement flies in the face of God, because according to him these men are ordained by God. So here we have God who supposedly knows the hearts of men, who created the universe and the world us and all therein, ordains, homosexual priests, child molesters , drug dealing cardinals, murders etc etc and yet they cant see the issue, another one goes on about Jesus being the fullness of His church of course he is not referring to the Lords church but His own and therefore is saying that Jesus is a rapist, child molester, homosexual, drug dealer liar etc etc and doesnt seem to be to concerned with that, But than that is that religious for you, only see there religion cant see God.
There are a lot of things out there that people say that are ridiculous and inaccurate for all kinds of reasons, but we definitely need to look past people to Christ. We know Christ best through the Bible, the very Word of God, and as much as I grieve for the , we need to communicate with them directly and pray when we do and even pray when we can't.