How to be saved...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this whole OP comes down to one thing that I would like to discuss. How have you as a Christian found ways and what are they to relieve your temptations and become free from sin? I found that for me daily Mass is helping, but I would like to hear other peoples examples.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look at the temptation to sin in the light of it's consequences to myself and other people. That helps me to turn away from the temptation to sin. And I know that I'm putting the fire of the Holy Spirit out and distancing myself from fellowship with God when I sin. Those are the two things that keep me from sinning.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this whole OP comes down to one thing that I would like to discuss. How have you as a Christian found ways and what are they to relieve your temptations and become free from sin? I found that for me daily Mass is helping, but I would like to hear other peoples examples.

My love for Jesus is stronger than my flesh's will to sin. No man/woman can serve two masters. He/She can't serve Jesus and sin too.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My love for Jesus is stronger than my flesh's will to sin. No man/woman can serve two masters. He/She can't serve Jesus and sin too.

So what you're saying is that to serve God is to not sin? That appears to be what the bible teaches and is something I think I'm learning. I have little opportunity to serve so I attend online church services as of lately, and I find my temptations are lifting. So that is a "cannot serve two masters" concept? Thanks.

Matthew 6:24

24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Reactions: amadeus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look at the temptation to sin in the light of it's consequences to myself and other people. That helps me to turn away from the temptation to sin. And I know that I'm putting the fire of the Holy Spirit out and distancing myself from fellowship with God when I sin. Those are the two things that keep me from sinning.

I use the consequences to not break mans law when tempted. I never thought of using it for God's law. And I am noticing a coming and going of the holy spirit when I sin.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what you're saying is that to serve God is to not sin? That appears to be what the bible teaches and is something I think I'm learning.

Yes, but it's not a do-it-yourself project. We are to be a yielded vessel that God can perform His work upon. We play an active part, but we are God's workmanship. He teaches us to resist temptations of the flesh by walking in the Spirit. It takes spiritual exercises to enter God's workmanship: Prayer, fasting and dining on the Word of God.

Romans 8
[10] And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
[11] But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
[12] Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
[13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

I have little opportunity to serve so I attend online church services as of lately, and I find my temptations are lifting. So that is a "cannot serve two masters" concept? Thanks.

Being continually fed God's Word is part of serving Jesus. The more we feed ourselves the Word [Jesus], the stronger we become in the Spirit. And, the stronger we become in the Spirit, the stronger Satan fights to knock us down. But, the Word gives us the remedy.

James 4
[7] Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Matthew 6:24

24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Yes. We can't serve two maters. We will either serve Jesus or the flesh/sin.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My love for Jesus is stronger than my flesh's will to sin.
That is the goal. It may not be that way presently for some, but that is where God is taking them. And he will get them there if they continue to hold on to the gospel and don't give up on God.

Sometimes it just takes time to see that the payback of the flesh is far less satisfying then dwelling in the love of God.

Reactions: dev553344

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what you're saying is that to serve God is to not sin? That appears to be what the bible teaches and is something I think I'm learning.
You are serving God whether you're working in a soup kitchen or, for example, keeping yourself from saying something you know you shouldn't. In fact, you kind of erase the benefit of the former by not doing the latter.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the goal. It may not be that way presently for some, but that is where God is taking them. And he will get them there if they continue to hold on to the gospel and don't give up on God.

Sometimes it just takes time to see that the payback of the flesh is far less satisfying then dwelling in the love of God.

Well the holy spirit definitely is a more clean feeling than the fleshy works. More holy.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are serving God whether you're working in a soup kitchen or keeping yourself from saying something you know you shouldn't. In fact, you kind of erase the benefit of the former by not doing the latter.

I think saying is one thing, but doing has more power. I know that Jesus taught it's not what goes in the temple that defiles it but what comes out. And with that works speak louder than preaching. So I agree but watch out for doing evil rather than speaking evil I think.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It takes spiritual exercises to enter God's workmanship: Prayer, fasting and dining on the Word of God.
But even getting us into prayer, fasting, and the word of God is in itself a work of God in a person. He knows how to do that, too. Boy, does he! Still not big on the fasting part. I just don't have the stomach for it, lol (pun intended). But maybe that's the stuff of another thread.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the holy spirit definitely is a more clean feeling than the fleshy works. More holy.
I think you are describing 'Christian liberty'. The freeness and cleanness that we experience when we don't sin and rest in the presence of God, despite the unsure circumstances we may be in at the time.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But even getting us into prayer, fasting, and the word of God is in itself a work of God in a person. He knows how to do that, too. Boy, does he! Still not big on the fasting part. I just don't have the stomach for it, lol (pun intended). But maybe that's the stuff of another thread.

I have a strong testimony of fasting, seen miracles that God has answered upon fasting for a day or three. It works.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think saying is one thing, but doing has more power. I know that Jesus taught it's not what goes in the temple that defiles it but what comes out. And with that works speak louder than preaching. So I agree but watch out for doing evil rather than speaking evil I think.
You're serving God when you are a nice person in personality just as much as when you are serving in some outward work of service to God like evangelizing, or serving in a helps ministry. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the former is way more important. The Pharisees were good at the outside stuff, but scored zero on the inside stuff. The outside stuff never makes up for the lack of the inside stuff. Never.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're serving God when you are a nice person in personality just as much as when you are serving in some outward work of service to God like evangelizing, or serving in a helps ministry. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the former is way more important. The Pharisees were good at the outside stuff, but scored zero on the inside stuff. The outside stuff never makes up for the lack of the inside stuff. Never.

Sure but they killed God. So outward works are negative infinity points. Words from the Jews killed Jesus too, sure, but I think exterminating the voice of the healer and savior was a terrible work of evil. And I think that's what the bible says.

Basically if they just spake against Christ, then Christs works would have spoke for themselves, someone had to exterminate the doctor among them and stop the healing of the nation of Israel. So how much of that was Israel and how much was Roman?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has yet to instill the faith in me to adopt that as a regular part of my life in him.

I don't fast anymore, but at one time I did and it lifted evil from my life also. Someday you might experience that too. But maybe you don't need it? If Jesus is with you then no you don't.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
outward works are negative infinity points.
Only if they are not driven by inward works—kindness, patience, long suffering, peace, love, etc. Clean the inside of the cup first, then the outside of the cup will be clean too, Matthew 23:26. The church tends to focus on and take comfort from the outside of the cup stuff.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only if they are not driven by inward works—kindness, patience, long suffering, peace, love, etc. Clean the inside of the cup first, then the outside of the cup will be clean too, Matthew 23:26. The church tends to focus on and take comfort from the outside of the cup stuff.

Which church is that? My church is driven by Christ, and I've heard the inward works pushed in the RCC during daily Mass.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which church is that? My church is driven by Christ, and I've heard the inward works pushed in the RCC during daily Mass.
All the institutionalized churches in the world today. They focus on proper worship and liturgy and Christian duties instead of on godly character. Our differences stem from those things. If we'd just keep the main thing the main thing we'd get along pretty well I think.