How to humble ourselves?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Pride is something a lot of us have to deal with at times, so how may we humble ourselves?

I found an article from Billy Graham's site that addresses this issue. About how one may humble themselves, Bible verse references are given inside the article.

12 Ways to Humble Yourself

I will also list those Biblical scripture References here here.

Luke 18:9-14
James 3:2
James 5:16
1 Peter 3:8-17
1 Peter 2:18
Proverbs 10:17
Proverbs 12:1
Proverbs 25:6-7
Luke 7:36-39
Philippians 1:1
2 Corinthians 4:5
Matthew 23:11
Matthew 18:21-35
1 Thessalonians 5:18
Ephesians 4:31-32
Luke 9:23

Reactions: Heart2Soul

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
despite all that info posted, the true test is "fear the Lord thy God". many do not acknowledge the Truth meaning the Truth of God. they don't because they have no fear of the Lord God. therefore do not acknowledge that which is of or from God. just as the Israelites did many times in their history, even in the case of Jesus. they didn't reject Jesus the Son of man, they rejected that He was of or from God the Son of God, therefore having no fear of God. they feared Pontius Pilot they feared the roman empire they also feared what their people thought of them. their public image, but the Lord God, they had no fear of.

the fear of the Lord is what keeps because acknowledgement is required, which induces repentance. the acknowledgement of the Truth of God induces repentance because we are incorrect in all cases and He is correct in all cases. hence the beginning of knowledge understanding and wisdom is the fear of the Lord God.

and its most certainly isn't your fellow man's acknowledgement that you're humble, its the Lord's acknowledgement that you are in His Judgment.

and its no secret that the overwhelming majority of those who claim they are Christian don't believe they should fear God and will proudly say so and argue so. its basically become a church that proclaims to be a church but it in essence without the Lord God and worshiping their image of what they think their god ought to be. you know, god in their image, that is what is worship today. same as Israel did.

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May be often "false humility", as often demonstrated by b.g. (an exposed long ago false teacher) ....

Don't ask for the 'proof' - it has been published ever since 1948 online, and men of God went to him and warned him of his going on the wrong path, and he never repented from it. He in his own words said as much before he died. It was not until I saw him in his own words say as much, before I said anything publicly, though I had read it for five to ten years earlier - I waited until he proved it himself, on live television broadcast before he died.
The 'results' can be found by internet searches....

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pride is something a lot of us have to deal with at times, so how may we humble ourselves?

I found an article from Billy Graham's site that addresses this issue. About how one may humble themselves, Bible verse references are given inside the article.
Although I'm hesitant to see the efficacy in confessing sins (first 2 points), in and of itself, as it can often be construed as a false sense of security. Sometimes people simply admit a fault in order to make it seem like their addressing the issue, even though it's more feigned and pretentious, than sincere.
But, as to those who's intentions are well meaning, I still find that, for one, enumerating or keeping track of your sins is misguided, and even once divulged, where's the remedial affect? Is it simply an exercise in recognizing one's imperfections, and thus, subduing their ego, as far as BG is concerned?
I was actually a bit surprised at the lack of profundity of BG's list?

I must admit, I think that @DPMartin practically nailed it. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and therefore, what can be more sobering and humbling but to recognize your standing with your Sovereign Creator. And this might be the epitome of arrogance, is the defiance that we all have towards him. For, from the transgression of Adam, we became gods unto ourselves. So that now, who regards God with the reverence and submission that is truly warranted and commensurate to His Majesty? (and I don''t believe in a fallen nature, or the doctrine of total depravity)

Genesis 3:5
"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
Genesis 3:22
Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"--

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here's another verse.

Ecclesiastes 7:8 (Good News Translation)

The end of something is better than its beginning. Patience is better than pride.

Ecclesiates 7:8 (KJV)

Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

The verse would seem to suggest that patience is also a characteristic of a humble person.

How often do you hear of people bragging about how fast they can do a task? Hehe

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Here's another verse.

Ecclesiastes 7:8 (Good News Translation)

The end of something is better than its beginning. Patience is better than pride.

Ecclesiates 7:8 (KJV)

Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

The verse would seem to suggest that patience is also a characteristic of a humble person.

How often do you hear of people bragging about how fast they can do a task? Hehe
Philippians 2 is a great passage about the Perfect Servant humbling Himself and becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross.

"Thus found in fashion as a man,
All blameless, spotless, pure,
He was obedient unto death,
Sin's judgment to endure."

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Philippians 2 is a great passage about the Perfect Servant humbling Himself and becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross.

Hmmm, I believe the best way one may humble himself or herself, is to follow the ways of Jesus.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Well, you just summed it up. If it's true that fear and love for God is the epitome of wisdom and humility, who but Jesus loved and revered God more than anyone else, unto perfection? He did not do his will, but that of Him who sent him.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, you just summed it up. If it's true that fear and love for God is the epitome of wisdom and humility, who but Jesus loved and revered God more than anyone else, unto perfection? He did not do his will, but that of Him who sent him.
I do love Philippians, the Epistle of Joy, with the example of the obedient, suffering Servant for those who suffer and endure today with joy.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I will also list those Biblical scripture References here here.

Luke 18:9-14
James 3:2
James 5:16
1 Peter 3:8-17
1 Peter 2:18
Proverbs 10:17
Proverbs 12:1
Proverbs 25:6-7
Luke 7:36-39
Philippians 1:1
2 Corinthians 4:5
Matthew 23:11
Matthew 18:21-35
1 Thessalonians 5:18
Ephesians 4:31-32
Luke 9:23
I agree....I have some sisters here that I had to get Godly Counsel on some of my areas that He was speaking to me on and it's always a good outcome to receive Godly Counsel that leads to repentance and spiritual growth.

Reactions: Josho

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do love Philippians, the Epistle of Joy, with the example of the obedient, suffering Servant for those who suffer and endure today with joy.
Yes, likewise, the Carmen Cristi does make Philippians exceptional in that way!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Also, 1 Peter 1.11 speaks of "sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow".
Yes, God's wisdom is unfathomable. His pre-eminent son, became our servant so that there should be an equality in all things (my understanding, anyhow). As He did with the body, the more unattractive parts and organs require more care and concern. Christ suffered in such an ignoble manner, and yet, he was the noblest of us all.