i honestly feel trapped.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

Butterfly

If your grandparent's love for you is conditional, you don't need friends like that.
I am not sure it is as simple as that with family - i do not have my grand parents anymore, but certainly looked upon them in a much deeper way than friends. How they react to us goes much deeper. Surely you can understand the dilemma for Michael, I can.
I am a lone Christian in a family, even that brought about dilemmas , and I didn't have the pressure of negative reactions to deal when I came to faith at the age of 21. I wasn't endeavouring to leave a cult and stand up to my family, but I was often torn.
It's all good and well giving advice, but quite frankly some of the advice being given to Michael is without any kind of empathy with regards to his age, fears and the reality that even an older adult would find it incredibly difficult leaving the JW's and standing up to family members ingrained in its teaching. Obviously he is presuming that he would be completely rejected, which may well be the worse case scenario - but it is still a possibility ( although I am more hopeful that he would have his dad on his side )
As for the comment that he should talk to his parents and not strangers, he is seeking help from ' Christians ' because of the pull towards Christianity - to me it seems logical to confide and talk it through with those outside of the JW's first.
Rita

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus
B

Butterfly

NO TEENAGER WOULD ACTUALLY TALK TO THEIR PARENTS
That made me smile - my four children are all adults now, but as teenagers they went anywhere but me and their dad if they wanted to talk - to be honest it was as if we spoke a different language to them at times
On the upside, they often came to me first when they got a bit older - we talk the same language now !! ( but sadly they are not believers yet X )
Rita

Reactions: Acolyte

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
It seems you are more concerned with how your faith looks to others than how it looks to God. If you can't love God & your neighbour then it won't matter what group your following, your faith will be useless.

When a Christian approaches me with the Gospel but has no charity then I dismiss their fath as fake. For the scriptures say that if you can not love your brother who you see but say you love God who you do not see, you are a liar.

D

Dave L

I am not sure it is as simple as that with family - i do not have my grand parents anymore, but certainly looked upon them in a much deeper way than friends. How they react to us goes much deeper. Surely you can understand the dilemma for Michael, I can.
I am a lone Christian in a family, even that brought about dilemmas , and I didn't have the pressure of negative reactions to deal when I came to faith at the age of 21. I wasn't endeavouring to leave a cult and stand up to my family, but I was often torn.
It's all good and well giving advice, but quite frankly some of the advice being given to Michael is without any kind of empathy with regards to his age, fears and the reality that even an older adult would find it incredibly difficult leaving the JW's and standing up to family members ingrained in its teaching. Obviously he is presuming that he would be completely rejected, which may well be the worse case scenario - but it is still a possibility ( although I am more hopeful that he would have his dad on his side )
As for the comment that he should talk to his parents and not strangers, he is seeking help from ' Christians ' because of the pull towards Christianity - to me it seems logical to confide and talk it through with those outside of the JW's first.
Rita
I'm only thinking how horrible it would be for me needing to become something I'm not before I could experience the love of a close relative.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T
D

Dave L

If my parents knew i was postjng to this forum they'd think i was up to something suspicious. Or would ask me what i was doing on here and i wouldn't come uo with a good enough answer.
You need to include their wisdom in your decisions. If you belong to Christ, nothing will prevent your salvation. “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” (John 6:37)

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
You need to include their wisdom in your decisions. If you belong to Christ, nothing will prevent your salvation. “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” (John 6:37)
If this is true why does Michael need any of you. You Christian's spend so much time trying to convert others, but in the end the only one who can change men's heart's is God.

D

Dave L

If this is true why does Michael need any of you. You Christian's spend so much time trying to convert others, but in the end the only one who can change men's heart's is God.
He doesn't. All he needs to do is honor his father and mother so things go well with him. If he's one of Christ's, he will do this and profit from it.

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
He doesn't. All he needs to do is honor his father and mother so things go well with him. If he's one of Christ's, he will do this and profit from it.
I say to honor that which God made parents for & not the parents themselves. For which parent has not sinned against God. For there is no father or mother but God who is father & mother of all.

D

Dave L

I say to honor that which God made parents for & not the parents themselves. For which parent has not sinned against God. For there is no father or mother but God who is father & mother of all.
Scripture doesn't support your claim.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
They don't care what i do.