I Thessalonians chapter 4:13-18 & chapter 5

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you read what God has written, along with my inner verse dribble … the coming of our Lord Jesus (rapture) …will be quite evident.

1Th 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

We are not to be ignorant (conversely, God wants us to be informed) so He’s going to tell us what is happening.…

“Brethren” is addressing those at Thessalonica and all the believers in Christ…. the letters are/were encyclical and still applicable today.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

This is addressing the living believers concerning the ones who have died (sleep in Jesus). It is NOT referencing anybody else except those who have fallen asleep in Jesus….No Old Testament Jews or Gentiles…that is what the resurrection(s) are about …and this is not called a resurrection, because there are still those who are alive.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not precede them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout (keleusma) with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Shout = A stimulating cry, an order, command, ….. with the voice of the archangel… and trump of God ….Not quite like a thief in the night….

The ones who are raised, are the dead in Christ, those born again ….no one else.

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Whoever is alive and remains are caught up together (with those who were dead in Christ) in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so shall we ever be with the Lord.

We are the body of Christ….. Christ is the head. Currently we are seated in the heavenlies IN Christ, that is our citizenship (Phl 3:20) … but when the rapture takes place, we will (with our spiritual bodies) be with Him wherever Christ is, whether we are in heaven or on earth.

1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I Thesalonians 5:1 begins with a contrasting conjunction which distinguishes itself from the previous event when the Church of God is caught up together to meet the Lord in the air…(Remember in the originals …there were no chapter divisions)

This section contrasts the two groups of people children of the light and children of the day …with those who are of the night and of darkness → (them and they)

Keep an eye on the pronouns (I have bolded and underlined them for the distinction) It will delineate between the two.

The day of the Lord or the Lords Day always references the tribulation.

The gathering together unto Him….the day of redemption….our glorious hopethe coming of our Lord Jesus (and a few others) give reference to the rapture.

1Th 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord (tribulation) so cometh as a thief in the night.

1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

1Th 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

1Th 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

1Th 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch (be vigilant) and be sober.

1Th 5:7 For they that sleep, sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1Th 5:9 For God hath NOT appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

1Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Reactions: BeyondET

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
II Thessalonians 2

Again, watch the pronouns and remember the day of the Lord or The Lords day is always referencing the tribulation period

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

Brethren indicates Paul is talking to those in the body of Christ…. born again believers…

2 things… coming and gathering …addressed to born again believers of the church of God. Jesus is coming and gathering us, to Him…. as spoken of in 1Th 4:17

2Th2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Lord is at hand.

Just as today, there were those spreading false information including → that the day of the Lord is taking place right now.

If your Bible say “Christ” it should be translated Lord. All critical Greek text read Lord. KJV/NKJV is the only common version that wrongly has Christ.

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come] except there come the departure (hē apostasia) first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

In order to not be deceived, we need to be aware that there is a departure first.

**(See below on hē apostasia)

2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Who = the man of sin … son of perdition

2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

Remember dudes…. I went over this stuff with you.

2Th 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth (katechō) that he might be revealed in his time.

withholdeth = holds back, restrains, detains

2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth (restrains) will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Letteth is the same word as withholdeth.. (katechō) = restrains, detains

Taken out of the way …or out of the midst….not a voluntary falling away. We (body of Christ) are taken out of the way… gathering together unto Him

2Th 2:8 And then shall that wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

And then ….when? ….When that which detains is gone….taken out of the way …departed. Once light (that’s us) is gone …darkness takes free reign.

2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Them and they…not us

2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

But (contrasting conjunction)…..in contrast to verse 8-12 We = born again believers

2Th 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2Th 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,

Everlasting consolation = eternal encouragement, comfort, solace.

2Th 2:17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Comfort your hearts …comfort yourselves together (1Th 5:11) …. comfort one another (1Th 4:18)

There is comfort in the truth.

**Addendum from 2Th 2:3

hē apostasia

This word has caused much consternation between those of pre-trib post-trib mid- trib ……or whatever. One group has a vertical lift, the other has horizontal exit. Personally…I can deal with either one, but it is important to be biblically honest about the word… and that just means…. ~What is Gods’ intent~

Gods’ intent has nothing to do with what we believe. What we believe should be neutral until we know what His intent and meaning is. As humans we have a tendency to see what we believe in effort to confirm our dogma. (In today’s vernacular it’s called conformation bias, and to some degree we all do it.) Our practice should be (with a neutral mind) to thoroughly seek the truth that fits → in the verse, in the context (both immediate and remoter) including the entirety of the Bible, so that it does not contradict (and that is based on certain research principles, like …. to whom it is written and to whom does it apply and other things including Greek/Hebrew syntax.)

I am not going to break down the word apostasia (unless you want, but it’s extensive) What I am going to do is bring up a few simple points to read….

1.) Just read this section of 2 Thes 2:1-8…If a word doesn’t interpret itself in the verse…. context is the next step. And in this case context does determine the use of the word…. just read (with a neutral mind set)

2.) Throughout the book of 1Thes there are several mentions of the rapture, but no place does it mention an apostasy taking place beforehand.

3.) Because the word apostasia employs the article (). When the Greeks use the article, it is done to draw special attention to something in particular, a discernable event. … In 2Th 2:3 the Word is pointing to a particular type of either The departure or The falling away. If it’s the falling away …you have to ask …where is it? It would have to be before the son of perdition…. But there is no reference to the falling away (apostasy) from the faith. There is however a reference to the departure in 2Th 2:1 coming & gathering.

4.) If the Authorized Version (1611) had followed suit with the previous seven English versions Wycliffe (1384); Tyndale (1526); Coverdale (1535); Cranmer (1539); Breeches (1576); Beza B(1583); Geneva (1608)…..and the Vulgate (400 a.d.) who all translated apostasia as departing or departure… It makes me wonder…. if this would even be an issue.

I am not trying to change anyone’s mind regarding the words hē apostasia, but hopefully I have given you enough information based on the written Word to make a new decision. As you can see, trying to promote the definition of an apostasy is like flying a kite with no string attached ……

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you read what God has written, along with my inner verse dribble … the coming of our Lord Jesus (rapture) …will be quite evident.

1Th 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

We are not to be ignorant (conversely, God wants us to be informed) so He’s going to tell us what is happening.…

“Brethren” is addressing those at Thessalonica and all the believers in Christ…. the letters are/were encyclical and still applicable today.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

This is addressing the living believers concerning the ones who have died (sleep in Jesus). It is NOT referencing anybody else except those who have fallen asleep in Jesus….No Old Testament Jews or Gentiles…that is what the resurrection(s) are about …and this is not called a resurrection, because there are still those who are alive.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not precede them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout (keleusma) with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Shout = A stimulating cry, an order, command, ….. with the voice of the archangel… and trump of God ….Not quite like a thief in the night….

The ones who are raised, are the dead in Christ, those born again ….no one else.

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Whoever is alive and remains are caught up together (with those who were dead in Christ) in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so shall we ever be with the Lord.

We are the body of Christ….. Christ is the head. Currently we are seated in the heavenlies IN Christ, that is our citizenship (Phl 3:20) … but when the rapture takes place, we will (with our spiritual bodies) be with Him wherever Christ is, whether we are in heaven or on earth.

1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I Thesalonians 5:1 begins with a contrasting conjunction which distinguishes itself from the previous event when the Church of God is caught up together to meet the Lord in the air…(Remember in the originals …there were no chapter divisions)

This section contrasts the two groups of people children of the light and children of the day …with those who are of the night and of darkness → (them and they)

Keep an eye on the pronouns (I have bolded and underlined them for the distinction) It will delineate between the two.

The day of the Lord or the Lords Day always references the tribulation.

The gathering together unto Him….the day of redemption….our glorious hopethe coming of our Lord Jesus (and a few others) give reference to the rapture.

1Th 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord (tribulation) so cometh as a thief in the night.

1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

1Th 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

1Th 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

1Th 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch (be vigilant) and be sober.

1Th 5:7 For they that sleep, sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1Th 5:9 For God hath NOT appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

1Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
Nice write up :) thanks for posting

Reactions: Tommy Cool