I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you, as an unlearned person, think you can help? Which word/s “fail”, “cease”, or “vanish away” do you NOT understand seeing these words are synonymous!?!?

Your post does not even deserve a response. However, here is an advice.

Carefully read again and again 1 Corinthians 12, 13, and 14 until you have understood it’s contexts. The Holy Spirit might open your spiritual eyes. Then and only then can you even discuss the gifts of the spirit with others!!

To God Be The Glory.
This so-called unlearned person has a theological degree, three university degrees and has lectured in bible colleges.

Having studied the suggests chapters over and over and over and over and over again and been taught by men who know far more than I do, I fully understand their contexts and the Holy Spirit was gracious enough to open my eyes to the truth. I have regularly taught others the truth of those chapters bearing in mind the gift that I have been given by the Holy Spirit is teaching, which was confirmed through prophecy from four different men on four different occasions in four different meetings who all prophecied the same thing.

Sorry to disappoint you brother, but I have more faith in the teaching of the Holy Spirit and the prophetic word which was given and confirmed by four different men, none of whom knew me and none of them who were known by me than your prognostications about my ability to discern truth.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. Joel’s prophecy was indeed in accord with Pentecost in Acts Chapter 2.

Note in verse 16 – But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel
Verse 17 – And it shall come to pass in the last days (we are living in the last days), saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters will prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams.

PROPHESY WHAT? The Gospel of course as three thousand souls were saved that day. You will not find this kind of language at the end of the Book of Revelation as you claim.

In fact, the context of Acts 2:39 will Not allow for the timing to be at the end of the world… because there is an ominous warning in Revelation 22:18-19.

18) For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book (Bible), if any man shall add unto this things,God shall add unto him the plagues (damnation) that are written in this book.

19) And if any man shall take away from the words of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Therefore, Acts 2:39 cannot be teaching the end of the world rather at Pentecost!!

To God Be The Glory

The deceivers always find a way to twist things. Why do you do such as that?

I NEVER said that Acts 2 was teaching the end of the world. That is YOUR take.

I showed how the Joel 2 Chapter is teaching about the end of this world, and that is a different idea than your crazy rant. You never went to the Book of Joel to study what Peter was quoting, just as most Pentecostals don't take the time to do that, and thus are deceived, and instead create a whole other doctrine about the cloven tongue!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. Joel’s prophecy was indeed in accord with Pentecost in Acts Chapter 2.

Note in verse 16 – But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel
Verse 17 – And it shall come to pass in the last days (we are living in the last days), saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters will prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams.

PROPHESY WHAT? The Gospel of course as three thousand souls were saved that day. You will not find this kind of language at the end of the Book of Revelation as you claim.

In fact, the context of Acts 2:39 will Not allow for the timing to be at the end of the world… because there is an ominous warning in Revelation 22:18-19.

18) For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book (Bible), if any man shall add unto this things,God shall add unto him the plagues (damnation) that are written in this book.

19) And if any man shall take away from the words of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Therefore, Acts 2:39 cannot be teaching the end of the world rather at Pentecost!!

To God Be The Glory

And another thing. Since our Lord Jesus showed in Mark 13 that some of His elect during the coming tribulation are to be delivered up to councils and synagogues to give a Testimony for Him by The Holy Spirit speaking through us, and to not premeditate what we will say in that hour, then HOW is it those who claim to speak the cloven tongue instead... are on men's doctrines that tell them they are going to fly away to escape the tribualtion???

If someone claiming to speak the true cloven tongue of Pentecost had it, they would understand what Jesus showed about being delivered up at the end of this world, which is what timing the Joel 2 prophecy was about!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that 1 Thessalonians 4:13-5:11 teaches a pre-tribulation rapture.

At the very least, the church designated Philadelphia will escape that hour of trial, Revelation 3:10, if they keep the word of His patience.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that 1 Thessalonians 4:13-5:11 teaches a pre-tribulation rapture.

It doesn't though.

1 Thess 4:13-18
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.

Paul says for us to not worry about brethren that have already died, because Jesus will bring those "with Him" when He comes. HOW will our Lord Jesus do that? It's called the 'resurrection'. Well, when does the 'resurrection' of the saints happen per God's Word? On the very last day of this present world (John 5:28-29).

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

That word "prevent" actually means 'precede' in the Greek texts. Those of us still alive on earth shall not 'precede' those asleep saints who have already died. Simple. It means we won't be changed prior to those asleep being resurrected.

16 For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
KJV

The "dead in Christ shall rise first"??? Yes! Those asleep saints Jesus brings with Him must be resurrected first, prior to those on earth being gathered. Again, that proves this "caught up" event can only occur on the day of the resurrection, which is on the last day of this world when Jesus returns.

At the very least, the church designated Philadelphia will escape that hour of trial, Revelation 3:10, if they keep the word of His patience.

You don't really understand that Scripture either. It's because of who you've been listening to instead of staying in God's Word with His help.

The Church of Philadelphia represents one of the symbolic candlesticks of Christ's very elect that are sealed in prep for the tribulation. Their escaping the hour of temptation simply means they cannot... be deceived by the coming Antichrist. That is why... they are sealed with God's seal.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The 1 Thessalonians 5 part...

1 Thess 5:1-9
5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

Paul's "times and the seasons" are about the events of the end of this world leading up to our Lord Jesus' coming. That "day of the Lord" for the end was first spoken of by the OT prophets like Isaiah. That is where Paul is pulling from here. That "day of the Lord" is to be a day of destruction from The Almighty (Isaiah 13). Apostle Peter also showed this in 2 Peter 3:10-12 about God's consuming fire on that day burning man's works off the earth.

3 For when they shall say, "Peace and safety"; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

In the time at the very end, just prior to that "day of the Lord" that will occur on the last day of this present world, the deceived will be saying, "Peace and safety". They will think that Antichrist's reign will have been the return of Messiah, and peace is then established on earth, no more wars, chicken in every pot, etc. But instead shortly after, God's "sudden destruction" will come upon them, ending this present world. Paul is pulling those ideas from the OT prophets about the 'day of vengeance' (Isaiah 61:2), the part about Christ's second coming that He didn't read in Luke 4.

4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

We are not to be in darkness, that that day should surprise us as a thief breaking in. We're supposed to be on watch like our Lord Jesus said at the end of Matt.24 and Mark 13.

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
KJV

That "wrath" is about that time of "sudden destruction" Paul mentioned in verse 3 that is upon the deceived and wicked. It is the 7th Vial of Rev.16 when God's cup of wrath is poured out upon the earth on the last day of this world, i.e., His consuming fire that will melt man's works off the surface of this earth. It is not... about the previous vials of Rev.16.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that you have to deal with all of the passages that teach the doctrine if you are going to refute the doctrine; and you have not dealt with Revelation 3:10. Therefore, I believe if you look at the passage in Thessalonians in light of Revelation 3:10, you will see it differently.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would also point out that 1 Thessalonians 5:9 is in the immediate context of 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that many of the things that are spoken of in the book of Revelation can be none other than the wrath of the Lord on a Christ-rejecting world.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To use the words of another poster, what a load of balderdash!!

Haha!! I haven't heard that word for many a year ...great word.
I use codswallop once in a while..but forgot balderdash....my dad used it all our lives. :) In our family is 'died with him' and he's been gone a few decades.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This so-called unlearned person has a theological degree, three university degrees and has lectured in bible colleges.

Having studied the suggests chapters over and over and over and over and over again and been taught by men who know far more than I do, I fully understand their contexts and the Holy Spirit was gracious enough to open my eyes to the truth. I have regularly taught others the truth of those chapters bearing in mind the gift that I have been given by the Holy Spirit is teaching, which was confirmed through prophecy from four different men on four different occasions in four different meetings who all prophecied the same thing.

Sorry to disappoint you brother, but I have more faith in the teaching of the Holy Spirit and the prophetic word which was given and confirmed by four different men, none of whom knew me and none of them who were known by me than your prognostications about my ability to discern truth.

No one gets save because he has knowledge of Scripture or was taught by four prophetic different men, who may have labels in front of or after their names, for their beliefs are still tainted by sin!! A child of God is taught to discern whether the spirit of a person is of God. FYI, I do not see your name in prophecy as you have claimed as to have been given the gift to teach seeing your knowledge of Scripture is defective and not of God.

John 10:27
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me".

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: SovereignGrace

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No one gets save because he has knowledge of Scripture or was taught by four prophetic different men, who may have labels in front of or after their names, for their beliefs are still tainted by sin!! A child of God is taught to discern whether the spirit of a person is of God. FYI, I do not see your name in prophecy as you have claimed as to have been given the gift to teach seeing your knowledge of Scripture is defective and not of God.

John 10:27
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me".

To God Be The Glory

Oooooh, you are judgmental aren't you but if it makes you happy, be my guest.

I never said people get saved by their knowledge of scripture. Where did you get that strange idea from?

I never said people get saved by being taught by four prophetic men. Where did you get that strange idea from?

I did not make any claim to having my name in prophecy. Where did you get that strange idea from?

What is defective is your judgmental attitude towards others who know more than you do.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Haha!! I haven't heard that word for many a year ...great word.
I use codswallop once in a while..but forgot balderdash....my dad used it all our lives. :) In our family is 'died with him' and he's been gone a few decades.

Pity as it is a great word which you can put a lot of expression into.

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been fairly skeptical about tongue speaking for quite some time, as and I can't say that I had honestly encountered it before today. But I do believe what I experienced this morning was real, and I'm exceedingly grateful for it.

I was attending a prayer meeting before service for some extra fellowship and prayer time. About a dozen of us were centered around a square table, and we were all invited to pray as we felt led. A man came in late, we made eye contact, nodded, sat next to me. We started praying.

A few minutes in, this man sounded off a string of phonemes and morphemes in rapid succession in a whispered voice. It didn't sound so much like a language. He did not draw attention to himself. When he was moved to speak his prayer, it was not long but it was solid supplication and there was a tenor of strong emotion in his voice as he pleaded with God. A few minutes later, I heard this rapidity again. I felt an urging to look at him the next time he did this.

When it happened again, I looked up and he was staring right into my eyes, nodded, I averted my gaze almost immediately. Frightening. The prayers continued until our session ended a few minutes later. He introduced himself to me and to my friend.

We got up to leave and I called his name and asked if I could ask him a question. In the hall, "Were you just speaking in tongues?" His response was an immediate and confident "Yes." I told him that I had been rather skeptical of tongues and we talked a bit about it. He said tongues was "All from God." I was floored by the clarity, calmness, and peaceful composure of the man.

He spoke encouragingly to me, mentioning for me to plead with God and ask him to find what His will for my life is. To fast and pray and seek earnestly more spiritual gifts to serve our Lord. 1 Corinthians 12:31

All in all, a phenomenal day at church.

What are you experiences with this phenomenon? Does my account sound genuine with your own experiences? Do you speak in tongues, and if so, how often?

I will praise God for this gift and for this profound experience today. I am now decidedly less skeptical/judgemental about this claim.

When I pray in tongues it sounds like a real language with sentences and full stops and commas etc. And I find I also move my hands as you do when you are in conversation. This is an entirely involuntary action but I am aware and can stop any time. Usually the prayer comes to a natural conclusion as it would in English but afterwards when I begin praying with understanding I find that the words flow in a beautiful way without conscious thought and often I can't remember what I said, so that indicates it was on a different level.

I also sing in tongues. I have often heard the sort of 'singing in tongues' in meetings which sound more like chanting than heavenly worship but even though I'm not much of a singer when I sing in tongues in private even to my own ears it sounds beautiful. So much variety. Some times it's all African rhythms and at other times it's almost ethereal but I love just giving my voice over to the Holy Spirit and seeing what he does with it.

The first time I ever sang in tongues was about 40 years ago. I was working in my kitchen and just started to sing. The same tune over and over with what felt like verses and a chorus and it just went on and on. And then amazingly I began to sing it straight off in English and was later able to remember every word and wrote it down. I never was able to write down the tune but I still remember it and sing that song to myself as it is prophetic and always uplifts me.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oooooh, you are judgmental aren't you but if it makes you happy, be my guest.

I never said people get saved by their knowledge of scripture. Where did you get that strange idea from?

I never said people get saved by being taught by four prophetic men. Where did you get that strange idea from?

I did not make any claim to having my name in prophecy. Where did you get that strange idea from?

What is defective is your judgmental attitude towards others who know more than you do.

You may not have said the above word for word, but they were implied.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping in mind that the Holy Spirit in the heart is not....

1. Anger
2. Aggression
3. Ego or Egotistical
4. Flesh - As defined in Galatians

Which is why the yankee white male has such a tough time getting in. There is such a powerful presence of the flesh that God cannot get a spiritual blessing in there edgewise. The elephant size ego inhibits the spiritual man from going through the eye of the needle and getting any kind of meaningful spiritual blessing.

D

Dave L

Keeping in mind that the Holy Spirit in the heart is not....

1. Anger
2. Aggression
3. Ego or Egotistical
4. Flesh - As defined in Galatians

Which is why the yankee white male has such a tough time getting in. There is such a powerful presence of the flesh that God cannot get a spiritual blessing in there edgewise. The elephant size ego inhibits the spiritual man from going through the eye of the needle and getting any kind of meaningful spiritual blessing.
"Which is why the yankee white male has such a tough time getting in" doesn't sound too spiritual to me, rather fleshy......

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Which is why the yankee white male has such a tough time getting in" doesn't sound too spiritual to me, rather fleshy......

My family ...

1. Moms side - Virginian Pentecostal Holiness
2. Dads side - Michigan Catholic

My dad's side of the family was Catholic and my dad actually went to Catholic seminary. They use to attend Holy Family Catholic in Saginaw Michigan and just walking up the stairs into a high ceilinged sanctuary pictured below with priests, monks, nuns, in a medieval setting, was a treat in itself. All of dads side WW2 generation were Catholic.
a1806aef84a478b9380c4022c842b5fc.jpg

One of my cousins started going to a Baptist church and decided to invite my elderly great Uncle Frank (his father). Well, Uncle Frank did not like the order of service from the beginning. He kept growing more anxious as the service went by. I believe that they had a communion service at the end of the service in which Uncle Frank had enough. He basically threw a temper tantrum right there in the church service in front of everybody and threw such a fit that none will soon forget!

I let my dad live in one of the two houses I own. My dad drove my tractor into the building and hit the accelerator instead of the break and run the tractor into equipment, letting out a God D’mit as he did. I think to myself if I had him a hundred years I do not believe I would ever break him of those cold hearted northern ways.

Pictured below is the Virginian farmer I would work for in the hay field... Dallas would shout at work, shout in the hay field, and shout in church. He would also speak in tongues and run the aisles. He and his wife would operate a dairy farm and he would also work at the local ammunition plant. A very large soul his shouting would ring through the building. In the altar services he would kneel behind me in prayer and tears would roll off his cheek and onto my shoulders. A wonderfully large soul. Along with Dallas there were many others like him who would let the praises roll during church service. During the altar service old Evans Linkous used to weep like a baby. And if he were to look back to catch the amazed look in my eye he would weep, "The Holy Ghost! The Holy Ghost!" And point to all the souls being blessed around the altar. After I experienced these things for myself the people would make a fuss, or in the words of the Apostle Paul, glorify God in me.

Dallas.... Jesus in the family! What a happy home!
Dallas_zps81e23487.jpg

You can hear Dallas shouting in the background. Dallas, Gertrude, and Pastor Vaught have all went to glory.

And the old Merrimac Pentecostal Holiness church. I have never heard such singing , preaching, and shouting anywhere else in my entire life!

Merrimac_zps2a25944e.jpg

All accompanied with a Walton like warmth and love. And I never heard a curse word one out of any of them!

Reactions: Pearl