I'd like to have a calm, rational conversation about End Times...anyone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i'm thinking we need to come to a mutual def of Absolute Truth
again

and i invite you--also--to state one from Scripture, if you think you can.
bowling balls are always spheres

That depends on how precisely you measure them. A ten pin bowling ball is not completely spherical as they have three holes in them so that you can hold onto them. Otherwise for all intended purposes they are considered to be spherical.

Remember that in the limit as the radius of a straight line approaches infinity, it becomes a part of a circle.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
hmm, i'd say whether God exists as an AT or not might depend more upon how you define God than AT? A Creative Force is all but proven; an Old Guy with a beard, maybe not so much. Imo despising one's birthright, inheritance likely has a lot to do with the definition.

i guess an Old Guy with a beard is just a lot more likely to give us what we really want, red suit or not?
and having been raised in it from the cradle we don't even think about it any more, but if Christ was really being Proclaimed in churches we would not even be going there i guess, i mean who would pay a tenth for that lol; "Hate your family, hate your life, give everything you own to the poor--not us--and walk away from your life, and you'll be fine."

so--just like the Book says--the two have come up together, and the older serves the younger, and etc
"stay here for the present" worked a thousand years ago--ok, 800 years ago--and it will work 800 years from now, i guess
or as long as it takes us to learn that the present really is a gift

so then, i would like to present the present as a present, and compare the number of buyers to Christ's Message

I only have an idea of about half of what you just said. The rest, you could have been speaking pig latin....sorry.
Firstly...who on earth (who's read the bible), actually thinks God is an old man in the sky with a beard??!! I think we can safely relegate that picture to little kids in Sunday School who still have no idea of what's really going on.
For most people, having read the bible, they will know that God the Father is spirit. And clearly he cannot wear a red suit. I'm assuming here your reference is in terms of Santa, and therefore people assuming God will give them what they want? I'm not sure how that related back to our very simple question of "does God exist and can we claim that to be and AT that we can know?"
And for now, that's the only question I care about. I don't particularly want to do our normal dance where you throw numerous, hard to determine, vague references out there that cause the conversation to go around and around. Let's just...you know...stick to the topic.
How do you see your belief in God? Is it an absolute truth? Do you believe in his existence so firmly that you hold it as an AT? Do you see enough evidence in nature and in scripture to back that up?

Reactions: brakelite
B

brakelite

Christ assured them that their generation would not pass away before all of those things took place, right;

King James Bible
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Jesus knew what was coming upon his disciples. Persecution first from the Jews, then pagan Rome, then papal Rome. This was what he was preparing them for. But Jesus also wanted us to be prepared. So his lessons apply to both generations. His prophecies had a double fulfillment.

Jesus had to correct their misconceptions it was likely bc they had recently crept in,
the Pharisees and Sadducees were in opposing camps with regard the afterlife. Both Jesus and Paul used this disagreement to their advantage on several occasions. The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection. This life, they thought, was all there was. I don't know how recent this development took place. We do know that Israel had some baggage when they returned from Babylon 400 years previously. Some of that baggage they never got rid of.

B

brakelite

I am neither a linguist, philosopher, or theologian. So it is with a certain amount of assumption when I suggest that the opposite to absolute truth would be a truth that is true sometimes, depending on circumstances?Right? So does God exist only when we believe circumstances allow for such a belief? When I said earlier that we can understand absolute truth as regarding the character of God being such as love, if that is not absolute truth, does it mean there are times when God acts from a motive devoid of love? Or when scripture tells us that God cannot lie, if that is not absolute truth does that mean, God on occasion can and does lie when the situation requires it?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
How do you see your belief in God? Is it an absolute truth? Do you believe in his existence so firmly that you hold it as an AT?
i see we still differ on the definition of Absolute Truth. i can prove bowling balls are spheres, see, not perfect spheres, but spheres. And i could demonstrate God as an Old Guy with a beard too, in adults that perception is shifted to Christ, bodily returning in a world-wide Miracle, always soon or very soon of course right, nevermind all those wars or rumors of wars or earthquakes or famines in our time. Just turn Jesus into God, and voila, right

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That depends on how precisely you measure them. A ten pin bowling ball is not completely spherical as they have three holes in them so that you can hold onto them. Otherwise for all intended purposes they are considered to be spherical.

Remember that in the limit as the radius of a straight line approaches infinity, it becomes a part of a circle.
then you might prefer another example, i just threw out the first thing came to mind.

Infinity does not really exist of course, except as a human concept, and imo quite illuminating for revealing our bad definition of eternity, but otherwise the proof for it is mathematically flawed; infinity is a useful philosophical construct, useful mainly to witness the less and less that we can apply it to every year imo.

The number of atoms in the universe is less than a googol, right, so imo "infinity" might be another expression of "Old Guy in a beard" even, reflected still in our poor def of "eternity" or even "1000 year reign."

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
which are both after all the same as a day
I'm not sure how that related back to our very simple question of "does God exist and can we claim that to be and AT that we can know?"
And for now, that's the only question I care about.
imo it relates bc if i were able to define God for you perfectly, you would surely deny knowing Him, or at least acknowledge that you cannot know Him completely i guess. You would surely be intensely uncomfortable in His Presence, etc. so a point was to see that "God" as we have likely defined Him prolly does not exist anyway.

So my reply to your Q "Does God exist?" i could pretty confidently say "no," if for no other reason than that you have not defined God.
How can something that you cannot define exist? You must first define it, yes?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I don't particularly want to do our normal dance where you throw numerous, hard to determine, vague references out there that cause the conversation to go around and around.
that is your perception surely, but then you could have asked for clarification if something was too vague or even a reasoning as to why the ref might be pertinent, and we could go from there. Or better yet demo why it may not be pertinent
Let's just...you know...stick to the topic.
How do you see your belief in God? Is it an absolute truth? Do you believe in his existence so firmly that you hold it as an AT? Do you see enough evidence in nature and in scripture to back that up?
yes, i do, but that does not make God an AT, but rather a belief that we share; and that is why we call them "beliefs." And were we to delve much into this shared belief, we would see further divisions, in our def of God, bc you have defined God in your own image, just like me, and what you are really asking me is "do you believe in my god?"

so beliefs are made into Absolute Truths, and then God is made into the Nice Old Man that Promises to get my Ego into Heaven after i am Dead. But regardless, God is not made into AT bc of our belief, no. i might even demonstrate proof from the Scientific Method of God as Creative Force, but an Atheist disagreeing cannot be disproven yet (and the debate is raging right now--along with the search for proof, both of these can be clicked for more). And even that is surely not an adequate or complete definition of God.

"Absolute truth is something that is true at all times and in all places. It is something that is always true no matter what the circumstances. It is a fact that cannot be changed. For example, there are no round squares."

(the fact that 95%+ of Creation is unknown and unknowable to us--as either Dark Matter or Dark Energy--is true at all times and in all places. It is something that is always true no matter what the circumstances...)

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
so, does the Nice Old Man Who is Going to Get Your Ego Into Heaven with Him After You Die exist?
i srsly doubt it
doesn't = Life More Abundantly to me

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Jesus knew what was coming upon his disciples. Persecution first from the Jews, then pagan Rome, then papal Rome. This was what he was preparing them for. But Jesus also wanted us to be prepared. So his lessons apply to both generations. His prophecies had a double fulfillment.
well you say "double" where i would say "cyclical" maybe, all generations rather than two, but of course applying to your specific gen also yes, so that works fine for now. Be prepared for lightning to flash from the East to the West imo :)
no reason you can't meet Him in the air today
Understand I AM
the Pharisees and Sadducees were in opposing camps with regard the afterlife. Both Jesus and Paul used this disagreement to their advantage on several occasions. The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection. This life, they thought, was all there was. I don't know how recent this development took place. We do know that Israel had some baggage when they returned from Babylon 400 years previously. Some of that baggage they never got rid of.
and there were many other competing factions, Essenes, Nazarenes, Nazarites, Sons of God, Simeonites, Zealots, on and on

any concept of Ancient Israel should prolly start from "crossroads of civilization" or something, far from the Unified System of Belief we are presented tho. No two ppl believed exactly the same way imo, just like today.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
How do you see your belief in God? Is it an absolute truth?
no
Do you believe in his existence so firmly that you hold it as an AT?
yes, but we are prolly talking about two different things now; by definition we almost have to be.
any description of the fruit of this belief would suffice to determine i guess
"i expect my beliefs to culminate/manifest in the payoff of ____"

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i see we still differ on the definition of Absolute Truth. i can prove bowling balls are spheres, see, not perfect spheres, but spheres. And i could demonstrate God as an Old Guy with a beard too, in adults that perception is shifted to Christ, bodily returning in a world-wide Miracle, always soon or very soon of course right, nevermind all those wars or rumors of wars or earthquakes or famines in our time. Just turn Jesus into God, and voila, right

It's not about what you can 'demonstrate'. It never has been. Which is why you continually miss the point.

which are both after all the same as a day

imo it relates bc if i were able to define God for you perfectly, you would surely deny knowing Him, or at least acknowledge that you cannot know Him completely i guess. You would surely be intensely uncomfortable in His Presence, etc. so a point was to see that "God" as we have likely defined Him prolly does not exist anyway.

So my reply to your Q "Does God exist?" i could pretty confidently say "no," if for no other reason than that you have not defined God.
How can something that you cannot define exist? You must first define it, yes?

Again, missing the point. You're going to say God doesn't exist because you cannot define him? Or I cannot define him? That's like a caveman saying air doesn't exist because he can't define it. Of course air still exists...he wouldn't be alive without it. Just because it is so far beyond his ability to explain or understand doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Or...should someone suddenly find the ability to explain it to him...poof! It suddenly exists?!
The same with God. He does not need explaining. He does not need defining. How ludicrous that we should even think we could. The height of pride. No...as his created beings, we either start believing he is, or he is not. The bible tells us that he is, that he always has been, that the creation (that includes us) screams his existence, his presence, his will, from all it's corners. You start there. Then you begin to build what you can, from scripture, from nature, from the Spirit, about who he is. But never will we know everything there is about him.
But knowing that he IS. Yes. That is knowable. As truth. As an absolute. It's a tangible evidence. Like air. And it's foolish to pretend we have to understand him for him to exist.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
that is your perception surely, but then you could have asked for clarification if something was too vague or even a reasoning as to why the ref might be pertinent, and we could go from there. Or better yet demo why it may not be pertinent
Actually, I was referring to last time when, after all the relatively frustrating chasing of AT definitions, you couldn't actually deny that what the bible said was true after all. Oh, and that you agreed with me.

yes, i do, but that does not make God an AT, but rather a belief that we share; and that is why we call them "beliefs." And were we to delve much into this shared belief, we would see further divisions, in our def of God, bc you have defined God in your own image, just like me, and what you are really asking me is "do you believe in my god?"
Just like hope does not mean 'wish' in this instance, when we talk about our beliefs in God's existence, we rarely just mean 'we think'. This is heavy stuff. If we are wrong and God does not exist, then our souls are forfeit. No...mostly, when a person comes to a 'belief' in God, they embrace it, accept it, as an absolute truth. God does exist.
And that brings me to the second point. Who's God exists? I wasn't, actually, asking if you believed in your god? No such thing. There isn't a billion gods out there that correspond to everyone's unique understanding of who god is. No...there is one God. The God of the Bible. And this is why I've stressed the importance of the Bible and the truths it holds. It tells us the truth about God and about his nature. He has given us his word so that we may know about him. So...I was asking you if you believed in the God of the Bible. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God that sent his only son, Jesus, to die for us, in our place. That God.

so beliefs are made into Absolute Truths, and then God is made into the Nice Old Man that Promises to get my Ego into Heaven after i am Dead. But regardless, God is not made into AT bc of our belief, no. i might even demonstrate proof from the Scientific Method of God as Creative Force, but an Atheist disagreeing cannot be disproven yet (and the debate is raging right now--along with the search for proof, both of these can be clicked for more). And even that is surely not an adequate or complete definition of God.

"Absolute truth is something that is true at all times and in all places. It is something that is always true no matter what the circumstances. It is a fact that cannot be changed. For example, there are no round squares."

(the fact that 95%+ of Creation is unknown and unknowable to us--as either Dark Matter or Dark Energy--is true at all times and in all places. It is something that is always true no matter what the circumstances...)

:rolleyes: Have you even read your Bible? God never changes. He IS always the same. All his attributes remain constant. It doesn't matter a jot what you think, or others think. He is the very definition of AT.
And 'nice old man?' Again, where are you getting this? He is God! Loving, yes. Nice? That is way too tame. Way too small, way too domesticated. And as far as us making up fantasy's about heaven...again...read your bible. We have no need to make up fantasy's when God promises us exactly that. There are far too many references to ignore or ridicule it. That you are doing so makes me wonder what kind of agenda you have. There has to be something there for you to ignore all those verses. A lot of people don't care enough to focus on the last days, that okay, they like being in the here and now. Plenty argue on how those days will go down, that's inevitable I suppose. But outright denying all those verses...? That's just odd.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It's not about what you can 'demonstrate'. It never has been. Which is why you continually miss the point.
then you need a diff term, other than AT wadr, bc AT is about what you can demonstrate, the fruit is all that matters there.
How ludicrous that we should even think we could.
i agree, yet we do this all the time nonetheless, very similar to your assumptions at Absolute Truth in fact. Everyone does this, bc we have to; we all make assumptions, thousands a day prolly, and the joke about them is strictly cute tv, at least in that context, the general one. We have expectations too, and generally speaking we define God by them...which is why i asked about your expectations.

Bc obviously if we differ @ AT we will differ @ God too, right, i mean AT is defined and we are not agreeing on what it means lol.
But the fruit can easily be defined, right

so, i don't wanna put too fine a point on that, you can avoid the Q entirely or answer it for yourself,
but imo just remember that Free Beer Tomorrow is a joke ok
i mean you might note that you are reluctant to confess what you should be the most proud of here, seems like anyway? Verifying that you cannot define God is great though, don't get me wrong. Only now the rest of Determinism has no thread to hang from, see. And insisting upon a bad def of AT is just a symptom, wadr.

i mean, if your beliefs are ATs then mine are too, right? :)

no one knows where they go when they die
all go to the same place
you and your sons will be here with me
no one has ever gone up to heaven except He Who came down from it

etc

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But knowing that he IS. Yes. That is knowable. As truth. As an absolute. It's a tangible evidence. Like air. And it's foolish to pretend we have to understand him for him to exist.
i agree, i was not doing that; that was not the standard. The standard was Absolute Truth. (Which btw God can still fit as long as the definition is "unknown," in a neat little trick even Atheists have a hard time disagreeing with--i'll see if i can dig it up) but anyway, this is why i invoked the fruit, you will know them by their fruit.

hence a statement of the expected payoff will be an approximation of the knowledge of God

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No...mostly, when a person comes to a 'belief' in God, they embrace it, accept it, as an absolute truth.
hopefully we have at least realized the issue there; he can embrace it and accept it better as a grilled cheese sandwich than an AT.
We are clear on that now, i hope. AT is defined, and that is not it.

Beliefs that cannot be proven cannot be Absolute Truths, right?
Now they can be convictions, you should def be convicted imo, but as we might see i guess we differ there too
And that brings me to the second point. Who's God exists? I wasn't, actually, asking if you believed in your god? No such thing.
actually that was your God, you were asking me if i believed in your God, what you are about to do below there, once again; having rejected my definition, see. How 'bout we discuss that one? :)
There isn't a billion gods out there that correspond to everyone's unique understanding of who god is. No...there is one God. The God of the Bible.
lots of gods, different classes of gods even, all acknowledged by God.
And this is why I've stressed the importance of the Bible and the truths it holds. It tells us the truth about God and about his nature. He has given us his word so that we may know about him. So...I was asking you if you believed in the God of the Bible. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God that sent his only son, Jesus, to die for us, in our place. That God.
The same One Who wrote "No Son of Man may die for another's sins?"

you don't think you have a definition of God, Naomi? Expectations of God?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We have no need to make up fantasy's when God promises us exactly that.
ok, we'll see if you are in fact convicted of your belief next if you like;
but you aren't gonna like, ok.

Yes, you need to make up fantasies, and help God with His promises, just like the rest of us i guess
But outright denying all those verses...?
the verses that you have not bothered to list, i notice, while skipping over the ones i posted, tra-la. Ok, what vv Naomi.
Just apply them all to after the light dawns, as opposed to before or whatever.
Move heaven from after you have physically died to after you have died to self, daily.

or i mean bam post a v and let's see;
and then i get to post one, k? and you have to explain your position on it

i am happy to keep coming back here until the fact that you do not get to arbitrate the definitions becomes clear, Naomi, but understand that if you are not convicted already this is going to knock out one of your three legs, ok, expose its absence or whatever. seeing how you might have been convinced without being convicted is not a pleasant thing, alright. I say 'might have' bc you decline to respond at my definition of God there, so that i might know, and pls note that i am responding unequivocally to yours.

God never promised you Death, More Abundantly, like everyone is obsessed with, and Scripture makes it plain, more than plain, that you are not promised anything after you physically die, unless you choose to deliberately misunderstand
the dead know nothing

Samuel was brought up from the earth
13The king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What do you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I see a god coming up out of the earth.”

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Plenty argue on how those days will go down, that's inevitable I suppose. But outright denying all those verses...? That's just odd.
we can note that those in Acts were in those same last days, and we don't really acknowledge this, but every generation since then has surely considered themselves the generation i guess lol. Armageddon is only in the Book in one place for a reason; bc there are no witnesses, see. Dunno if that makes any sense yet or not though. But those vv are about the Revelation of Christ, after all. And Christ is being revealed, no doubt about that; just apparently not in the manner that we expect or desire, right.

so you might see that it is expecting Death More Abundantly that is odd; it has just become comfortable by repetition
puts you to sleep

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And it's foolish to pretend we have to understand him for him to exist.
what might be the more foolish is to pretend you have not defined Him, as soon as you say "God is going to do _____ (for me)." (God = going to do ____)
So imo it would be better to be honest now, and see if your expectations will stand in the fire; bc God promised to send you strong delusions too, see, if you could not accept the truth

No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man.