If We Protestants Truly Hated Catholics...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pontefice is taken, for catholics, to mean the bridge that connects man to God.
How is this a false claim?
I never said it didn't mean bridge builder...but that is not how it's understood in Christianity.

This might also interest anyone reading along who wants more info...

Why does the Pope carry the title "Pontifex Maximus"?
Why do you keep posting NON-Catholic sources to define Catholic beliefs and practices?? You make your statement above in RED by posting a secular source. This makes as much sense as ME defining the Protestant doctrine of Sola Scriptura by posting Kim Kardashian's thoughts on the subject . . .

I showed you the 8 official titles of the Pope. ONE of them is "Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church".
He not the ONLY bridge builder between the world and God - we are ALL called to be bridge-builders. His title simply indicates that he is the CHIEF Bridge builder.

YOU can believe what you want to believe - but you cannot redefine what the Church teaches.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He lists all the popes because of my explanation which I will not go into again.
AFTER the first official pope was elected, all the bishops before him who served as "pope" were then given that title.

This seems easy enough to understand.
The SUPER BOWL was not always called the super bowl.
After it was given that name in, I believe 1969, every championship game spoken of AFTER that was called the Super Bowl even though it was NOT called the Super Bowl at the time of the earlier games. (pre 1969).
This is ludicrous - and historically-bankrupt.

Irenaeus wrote Against Heresies in the SECOND century (AD 175-185).
YOU claimed that there was no Pope at the Council of Nicaea in the FOURTH century (AD 325).

Make up your mind because you are speaking complete historical gibberish.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
YOU can believe what you want to believe - but you cannot redefine what the Church teaches.
Well if Pope Francis is redefining what the Catholic Church teaches, it is now open season on Catholicism.

He has just come up with the bizarre idea that plastic litter in oceans is more important than the souls of men, and addressing the monumental sexual abuse within the CC.

Pope calls plastics littering oceans an ‘emergency’
https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/pope-calls-plastics-littering-oceans-an-emergency/

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if Pope Francis is redefining what the Catholic Church teaches, it is now open season on Catholicism.

He has just come up with the bizarre idea that plastic litter in oceans is more important than the souls of men, and addressing the monumental sexual abuse within the CC.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/pope-calls-plastics-littering-oceans-an-emergency/
WHO said that he is "redefining" what the Church teaches??

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Enoch,

Can you show me in his speech where he said "plastic litter in oceans is more important than the souls of men..."???

Message of the Holy Father for the celebration of the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation (1 September 2018) | Francis

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Pontifex meant a connection to false pagan gods. Pontifex Maximus was the title of pagan Roman priests.

Pontifex Maximus was only a legal title and the Popes didn't pay much attention to it at the time. It wasn't until the Popes began to conflict with several heretical Eastern Emperors that the Popes began asserting their legal authority under imperial law. That is why the Pope is referred to as the "Pontifex Maximus" or "Supreme Pontiff" today......not because of any carry-over from paganism.

Historical Mary

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Enoch,

Can you show me in his speech where he said "plastic litter in oceans is more important than the souls of men..."???
Really Mary? Just at the point when a huge sexual abuse and sexual predator scandal is rocking the CC under the watch of this pope, and there are now actually calls for the resignation of the pope, to speak about plastic litter in the oceans IS TO IMPLY that it is more important than the souls of men.

If you cannot read between the lines, that's your problem. Let's hope you and millions of other Catholics say "Enough is enough" and walk away from this unholy mess of a church where the priests and the bishops are the evildoers. When are the Catholic "faithful" ever going to learn?

2 CORINTHIANS 6
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's hope you and millions of other Catholics say "Enough is enough" and walk away from this unholy mess of a church where the priests and the bishops are the evildoers. When are the Catholic "faithful" ever going to learn?

Give honor to all, love the community, fear God, honor the king.

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

For whenever anyone bears the pain of unjust suffering because of consciousness of God, that is a grace.

But what credit is there if you are patient when beaten for doing wrong? But if you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace before God.

I did not disbelive the Gospel beacuse one of Jesus' 12 chosen turned out to be an unbeliever, theif and traitor.

Neither will I abandon my brethren and the Table of the Lord because someone abuses, desecrates, or betrays their office...

I reject your insinuation that all the presbytery is evil. Most are surprisingly holy men, true servants of Chist and His Church, and they will be rewarded.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Pax!

Reactions: aspen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I reject your insinuation that all the presbytery is evil. Most are surprisingly holy men, true servants of Christ and His Church, and they will be rewarded.
And I sure you are familiar with the term "accessory" as related to crimes.

Those who failed to actively expose, remove and shut down the predators in the Catholic Church are in fact accessories, as is the entire hierarchy of the Catholic Church. And the proof is in the fact that they PROTECTED the guilty and failed to protect the innocent. And Pope Francis continues to protect the predators and their pals e.g. Cardinals Wuerl and McCarrick.

#CATHOLICMETOO: WILL CDL. WUERL BE THE NEXT ONE TO FALL?
#CatholicMeToo: Will Cdl. Wuerl Be the Next One to Fall?

Cardinal Tobin reportedly declined to investigate McCarrick misconduct rumors
Cardinal Tobin reportedly declined to investigate McCarrick misconduct rumors

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And I sure you are familiar with the term

Neither will I abandon my brethren and the Table of the Lord because someone abuses, desecrates or betrays their office...

I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them.

This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really Mary? Just at the point when a huge sexual abuse and sexual predator scandal is rocking the CC under the watch of this pope, and there are now actually calls for the resignation of the pope, to speak about plastic litter in the oceans IS TO IMPLY that it is more important than the souls of men.

If you cannot read between the lines, that's your problem. Let's hope you and millions of other Catholics say "Enough is enough" and walk away from this unholy mess of a church where the priests and the bishops are the evildoers. When are the Catholic "faithful" ever going to learn?
Thank you. That's what I thought. At no time did he say plastic litter in oceans is more important than the souls of men.

Ninth Commandment: You Shall Not Bear False Witness

Mary