"If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, lol, a thought is not a sin. That's a temptation. It's not a sin to be tempted. Set your heart on it, entertain it, roll it around in your mind, then it's a sin.

Correct! Jesus was tempted in every way, just as we are. Hebrews 4:14-16, "Therefore since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest incapable of sympathizing with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace whenever we need help."

Aren't those great verses!!

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping it in context is always helpful.

2....'You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘Hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,.....' Jesus. Matthew 5:43. ....A search for 'you have heard said' will pull up many more.
3.... 'A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things...' Moses. Deut. 18:15
4.... 'He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. Deut. 8:3
Did Jesus teach adherence to God's laws? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that God created man and woman? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that marriage was between a man and woman? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that man is supposed to love God and his neighbor? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that God expected to be worshiped according to His instructions? Yes.

According to the standards set in Deut. 13 and Isa. 8:20, the only way Jesus could ever be considered to be a true prophet was if He taught the same thing Moses taught. So no, i didn't take Moses' words out of context at all. Show me 1 passage where Jesus disagreed with Moses, and then you can rightfully accuse me of taking Moses' words out of context.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means to be guided by the Holy Spirit that we Christians have been given to think and act according to God's will.

And once we have that Spirit “IN” us , it is so much superior to the Commandments carved in Stone......we can live our lives by heeding the superior of the two.....if the Commandments have served their REAL purpose by showing you that you can’t and don’t keep them .....if they have caused you to “ shut up” ( close your mouth) about the folly of thinking that you CAN keep them , and have made it Crystal - Clear That you MUST have a Savior......you no longer need them as a way to become “Righteous”........You have become * MADE “ Righteous by your Faith in the Shed Blood Of The Lamb! Concentrate on your Faith as opposed to concentrating on “ do do this and don’t do that” and if you let God Work “ Through” you, you will FIND YOURSELF doing a better job of keeping the Law than you ever did by using fear and will power to try to keep it...

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And once we have that Spirit “IN” us , it is so much superior to the Commandments carved in Stone......we can live our lives by heeding the superior of the two.....if the Commandments have served their REAL purpose by showing you that you can’t and don’t keep them .....if they have caused you to “ shut up” ( close your mouth) about the folly of thinking that you CAN keep them , and have made it Crystal - Clear That you MUST have a Savior......you no longer need them as a way to become “Righteous”........You have become * MADE “ Righteous by your Faith in the Shed Blood Of The Lamb! Concentrate on your Faith as opposed to concentrating on “ do do this and don’t do that” and if you let God Work “ Through” you, you will FIND YOURSELF doing a better job of keeping the Law than you ever did by using fear and will power to try to keep it...
There's a lot of noise about 'the two' and about 'the ten' unaware that your process is self sabotage.... nor do you try to understand how that is.
So what can I say? .....except to allow you to splash in the pond of your own making!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” John 14:15 RSV

Notice what He didn't say.
Here is what Jesus didn't say......"if you love me you will keep my commandments, and if you keep them, you will go to Heaven"

Did you notice what i added that He didnt say, that most religious but lost people believe the verse means?
Reader ....Do you know why Jesus never said that keeping commandments will get you into heaven?
If you dont know, then there is a really good possibility that you are not on your way to heaven, but you think you are..

Let me show you a verse that is related to people who worry about keeping commandments, and rant about water baptism, and yet these people are not going to heaven if they died in the next 60 seconds.

Once again, Jesus speaking to this RELIGIOUS but LOST commandment keeper..

"Depart from me..... I never KNEW YOU"...

See that? And let me tell you one more thing, reader.....if you dont know why Jesus would say that to a obsessed commandment keeper who died and went to hell 60 seconds from now, then there is a good possibility that you are the very person Jesus is talking to....,= "DEPART."
Really.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did Jesus teach adherence to God's laws? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that God created man and woman? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that marriage was between a man and woman? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that man is supposed to love God and his neighbor? Yes.
Did Jesus teach that God expected to be worshiped according to His instructions? Yes.

According to the standards set in Deut. 13 and Isa. 8:20, the only way Jesus could ever be considered to be a true prophet was if He taught the same thing Moses taught. So no, i didn't take Moses' words out of context at all. Show me 1 passage where Jesus disagreed with Moses, and then you can rightfully accuse me of taking Moses' words out of context.
That's correct, Jesus took nothing away from Moses at all, but fulfilled it all.
Moses handed down the Law of God as the foundation. One can not undermine what God set ! But Jesus fulfilled as Moses said the day would come that Jesus would come.
But if one is not truly born again then such a one thinks or claims that the Law of Moses is dismissed and only the two that Jesus said are worthy.
But No ! the two that Jesus brought to light shine upon the rest and bring them to life, not as they were in the OT but as beacons of light as all of them are under Grace ! but for the people who are not truly Born again, they are claiming that the OT Laws are worthless ? because they do not understand that the two that Jesus pointed out are truly. for they lack Grace themselves, so they have not eyes to see or ears to hear.
The OT Law are somewhat like rocks to the Carnal, or maybe seen as eggs lets say, but the difference with Chris t Jesus is that now the eggs hatched, they have changed, in all their glory to God !
If one thinks that the OT Law is not changed under the two that Jesus Gave us, you are being fooled. they are the same but they have been changed, but a Carnal man can not see that. but to the truly Born again they can see it clearly.

Who bags the first Commandment ? only a moron would do that ! now go down the list ? what is wrong with any of them at all, nothing !

Who would come out and bag the Commandments, the Devil himself and Satanist ! in fact.

I have seen such idiots bagging the OT Commandments but then idolising the Jews ? Now what Jews ? It can not be the true Jews who are worthy of the OT who serve Holy Moses ! but another bastard so called Jews in fact ? The ones that Jesus warned about in fact !
But when I inquired about the Jew's that this mob of so called Christians claim ? I find out that this Mob are looking for Jesus ? they claim to be born again by mans words ? but have another Jesus, he has not come yet ! but they will make him come ? for he will be their servant.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is what Jesus didn't say......"if you love me you will keep my commandments, and if you keep them, you will go to Heaven"

Did you notice what i added that He didnt say, that most religious but lost people believe the verse means?
Reader ....Do you know why Jesus never said that keeping commandments will get you into heaven?
If you dont know, then there is a really good possibility that you are not on your way to heaven, but you think you are..

Let me show you a verse that is related to people who worry about keeping commandments, and rant about water baptism, and yet these people are not going to heaven if they died in the next 60 seconds.

See that? And let me tell you one more thing, reader.....if you dont know why Jesus would say that to a obsessed commandment keeper who died and went to hell 60 seconds from now, then there is a good possibility that you are the very person Jesus is talking to....,= "DEPART."
Really.
It's not about keeping them but holding them as Gods word.
If one does not hold them as Gods word, you will not enter Heaven.
One must repent your Sins, if you do not then you are not worthy of God. one must try and keep on track, or one has no regard or lack of regard, yet do not be stupid about such. as one idiot mate claims, if you were to die with just one sin that you did not repent of just before you die, your a goner ! How pathetic, God knows ones heart ! One is with him or against him, that's the main point over all !

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Really.
Is there a reason someone shouldn't obey the Lord's commandments?

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a lot of noise about 'the two' and about 'the ten' unaware that your process is self sabotage.... nor do you try to understand how that is.
So what can I say? .....except to allow you to splash in the pond of your own making!

Calling clear Scripture that a ten year old could understand “Noise?” .......Tell it to God as I enjoy “splashing in my pond” while you Splash about in a Lake Of Fire where all the Self - Righteous ,Deluded , so- called “Commandment Keepers” Who tried to rob Jesus of the Glory That was His ONLY wind up.....You and your ilk will be the ones hearing, “ Depart from me — I never knew you”.....You tried to be a “Co- Savior” with your stellar performance and found out that God would have nothing to do with it —- or you....You really do NOT “ know Him”.....You Preach a “False , Perverted ,Gospel” That rejects Grace and promotes works .....it is Paul, not me , who declares you “ Accursed” ....it’s in Galatians 1:8..... take a good look at yourself.....of course, you will be blind to that verse also....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Calling clear Scripture that a ten year old could understand “Noise?” .......Tell it to God as I enjoy “splashing in my pond” while you Splash about in a Lake Of Fire where all the Self - Righteous ,Deluded , so- called “Commandment Keepers” Who tried to rob Jesus of the Glory That was His ONLY wind up.....You and your ilk will be the ones hearing, “ Depart from me — I never knew you”.....You tried to be a “Co- Savior” with your stellar performance and found out that God would have nothing to do with it —- or you....You really do NOT “ know Him”.....You Preach a “False , Perverted ,Gospel” That rejects Grace and promotes works .....it is Paul, not me , who declares you “ Accursed” ....it’s in Galatians 1:8..... take a good look at yourself.....of course, you will be blind to that verse also....
I'm sorry, but your post confirms you're ears do not hear at all anything I'm saying BB.....although it seems you are sure that they do....subsequently I use the metaphor of splashing around in your pond. The labelling and judgment you engage reveals immaturity and shortsightedness.....and as I said, I'm sorry to draw this to your attention.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there a reason someone shouldn't obey the Lord's commandments?

A wise man will keep every Commandment that he is able to ......The Commandments are like the instruction manual for a car....It’s there to help you....it’s for “ Your” benefit.....It’s there to guide you....God’s Law is Perfect....the problem is— we AINT!

Be smart....try to obey the Commandments for you OWN SAKE ! Just don’t fall into Error, Believing that the Key to Salvation is Law- Keeping.....Why not? The Bible is clear.....” Christ is THE END OF THE LAW for Righteousness! “ and “ By The Works Of The Law NO MAN will be Justified”..... it could not be more clear....what on Earth is wrong with some of you guys? I already know......God has to “ open your heart” to understand the Truth.....it ain’t happened to some of you Blind Guides out there....please go elsewhere to spread your Leaven..you are going to be called - out in here.....every time.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but your post confirms you're ears do not hear at all anything I'm saying BB.....although it seems you are sure that they do....subsequently I use the metaphor of splashing around in your pond. The labelling and judgment you engage reveals immaturity and shortsightedness.....and as I said, I'm sorry to draw this to your attention.

You opinion ( and it’s your opinion only) is worth exactly what I paid for it—- Nothing.

My ears hear everything you say...... to your dismay, I have been hearing “ False , Perverted Gospels” like yours for decades....Newbies to the Faith can get ruined in their Walk Of Faith before they even get started if they fall victim to your “ Leaven” Of Commandment- Keeping for Salvation...”A little Leaven leavenith the whole batch”..... I’m here to try to protect those new to the Faith before they get ruined by modern- day Judaizers—- like you.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses handed down the Law of God as the foundation

God changed the “ Foundation” ......Jesus revealed it Through Paul .....1Cor 3:1 .....” For God has already placed Jesus Christ as the one and only Foundation and NO OTHER Foundation can be laid.”

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, lol, a thought is not a sin. That's a temptation. It's not a sin to be tempted. Set your heart on it, entertain it, roll it around in your mind, then it's a sin.

Jesus words differ —- all you have to do is “ Look”.....” But I say to you that everyone who even LOOKS at a woman with Lust has already committed Adultery with her in his heart”

Sorry, I Didn’t see anything said by Jesus in that verse that involved any “ entertaining” or “ rolling it around” —- did anybody else ?

Why parse the verse? Jesus is making a point...you can’t escape the fact that you are a Sinner ....He us showing why we MUST have a Savior....The Pharisees Of His day thought that they were “ A-OK” with God .....they though that just because they never murdered or committed Adultery , they were keeping the Law....They became Self - Righteous.....Jesus pricked their “ self- righteous balloons” with His Words....Deluded ,so- called “Law Keepers” Of His day did not like it.....Nothing has changed....Deluded people who think that they can keep the Law to be Saved in this day and age dont like it either.....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The labelling and judgment you engage reveals immaturity and shortsightedness..

Good Students of the Word that know how to” Rightly Divide” would disagree....my “labeling and judging” might just reveal Truth......I believe that it is YOU that is immature and short-sighted....so I guess that makes us even.....You certainly have the right to be wrong and I will defend that right forever....Meanwhile, I will use you as a “Springboard” to get the Truth Of Paul’s Gospel Of Pure Grace out there for the Newbies in the crowd....and here is what that “ Truth” is—- NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD of JESUS for SALVATION .....Nothing. That would include your pitiful attempts of Law Keeping t Merit your Salvation....It’s NOBODY’S “Performance” That Saves—— it’s HIS Blood......you’d better get that straight before you stand before God .....Remember you heard it here....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The labelling and judgment you engage reveals immaturity and shortsightedness..

Good Students of the Word that know how to” Rightly Divide” would disagree....my “labeling and judging” might just reveal Truth......I believe that it is YOU that is immature and short-sighted....so I guess that makes us even.....You certainly have the right to be wrong and I will defend that right forever....Meanwhile, I will use you as a “Springboard” to get the Truth Of Paul’s Gospel Of Pure Grace out there for the Newbies in the crowd....and here is what that “ Truth” is—- NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD of JESUS for SALVATION .....Nothing. That would include your pitiful attempts of Law Keeping t Merit your Salvation....It’s NOBODY’S “Performance” That Saves—— it’s HIS Blood......you’d better get that straight before you stand before God .....Remember you heard it here....
Your chorus continues BB. ....the chorus of grace, grace grace....and let's continue the badmouthing unabated!
Yeahhhhh, nice message of grace you've got....about as gracious as burning someone at the stake!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your chorus continues BB. ....the chorus of grace, grace grace....and let's continue the badmouthing unabated!
Yeahhhhh, nice message of grace you've got....about as gracious as burning someone at the stake!

Who drew First Blood when it came to the “bad mouthing?” I know who— do you? As you continue to mock and reject the Grace that saved every man or woman that was ever saved, I’ll continue to be like Paul.....Paul said, “I don’t hold back the Grace of God” ....He had the Wisdom to know that everything good that comes in us and through us is ONLY by the Grace of God....Grace saves us, justifies us , sanctifies us and empowers us to live lives that are pleasing to him— and you poor- mouth it.....

Anybody that downplays or rejects Grace is woefully ignorant .....your self- righteous pride in what “ you “ can do to merit your Salvation prevents you from seeing the truth about yourself—- you are a MUCH WORSE Sinner than you think you are......when you stand before a Perfect, Holy God someday , you are gonna be crying out for the Grace that you rejected here on Earth....

Nobody is “ burning you at the stake”...... Nobody is “ giving you hell”.......You are just being told the Truth and you “ think” it is Hell....Believers are ordered to correct and rebuke those that preach False Gospels of Works .....I am trying to help potentially gullible Newbies and I am trying to end your Confusion and ignorance in regard to Pauls Gospel Of Pure Grace .....”Better is open rebuke than hidden love” .....ponder that as you sit in your church pew today and pat yourself on the back for being such a “ good boy” who saw no need for the Grace that could have saved him....

Reactions: Jim B

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus words differ —- all you have to do is “ Look”.....” But I say to you that everyone who even LOOKS at a woman with Lust has already committed Adultery with her in his heart”

Sorry, I Didn’t see anything said by Jesus in that verse that involved any “ entertaining” or “ rolling it around” —- did anybody else ?
"28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28

See it yet? ↑↑↑

BB1953, in your doctrine Jesus is just as sinful as the rest of us, lol, since you equate temptation with actually sinning. Here, read this and get your head on straight about this. ↓↓↓
Correct! Jesus was tempted in every way, just as we are. Hebrews 4:14-16, "Therefore since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest incapable of sympathizing with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace whenever we need help."

Aren't those great verses!!

The Pharisees Of His day thought that they were “ A-OK” with God .....they though that just because they never murdered or committed Adultery , they were keeping the Law....They became Self - Righteous.....Jesus pricked their “ self- righteous balloons” with His Words.
What Jesus was showing them is they were not the law keepers they thought they were. For the law also says to not covet your neighbor's wife, not just 'don't commit adultery' with her. They kept the laws governing the outside of a man, but failed miserably at the laws that governed the inside of a man. And so he was exposing their unrighteousness that way, not by making new, more righteous laws as is popularly taught in the church.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A wise man will keep every Commandment that he is able to ......The Commandments are like the instruction manual for a car....It’s there to help you....it’s for “ Your” benefit.....It’s there to guide you....God’s Law is Perfect....the problem is— we AINT!

Be smart....try to obey the Commandments for you OWN SAKE ! Just don’t fall into Error, Believing that the Key to Salvation is Law- Keeping.....Why not? The Bible is clear.....” Christ is THE END OF THE LAW for Righteousness! “ and “ By The Works Of The Law NO MAN will be Justified”..... it could not be more clear....what on Earth is wrong with some of you guys? I already know......God has to “ open your heart” to understand the Truth.....it ain’t happened to some of you Blind Guides out there....please go elsewhere to spread your Leaven..you are going to be called - out in here.....every time.
Did the Lord give us commandments that can't be obeyed?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the Lord give us commandments that can't be obeyed?
We can certainly "keep" Greek word "tereo" (guard, observe, watch over) the Lord's commandments (1 John 2:3), yet none of us obey His commandments flawlessly, 100% of the time. We are not sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, 100% of the time. (1 John 1:8-10) It's not about flawless or lawless.