If you think Mary remained a virgin till she died, then bet on it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Jesus had siblings.

You haven't shown why Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's siblings, because you refuse to answer the questions under each section of verses in the opening post here.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This OP is NOT about whether Mary was a perpetual virgin or not. I assume that you think she was. This post is about betting on what you believe.

Let proposition P1 = Mary remained a virgin till she died.
P2 = Mary did not remain a virgin till she died.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Are you willing to bet based on your weighting scheme?

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a bet to mathematically and scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. I am interested in finding out the strength of your belief mathematically. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability.

You can say you are 100% sure the earth is flat. Words are cheap unless you are willing to bet on it.
P1

Scripture says she was a virgin.

Nothing in Scripture says she had other children.

Our Christian history says she remained a virgin.

About 500 years ago SOME Protestants started teaching opposite of Scripture and Christian history.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting that Mary's sex life is now in at least two different threads.

When I saw this thread title again the first thing that came to mind was, if you think Mary remained a virgin till she died... get a grip on reality and face biblical facts! Virgins don't have children, and Jesus had siblings.
Get over it! The bible isn't what you want it to be. It's what God wants it to say.

Why are we arguing with those who don't believe that? hmmx1:

Well, the FACT is Scripture doesn't come right out and say that Mary had other children that is 'why we are arguing'.

The FACT is that those 'siblings' mentioned in Scripture never say they are Mary's children. And those 'siblings' can be accounted for as children of other women in the NT

The FACT is the word for brother/sisters in those passages could mean cousin or step brothers/sisters. About 1,500 years AFTER Scripture was written your Protestant men decided it meant blood brothers/sister.

The FACT is you accept the 500 year old teaching on Mary and reject the 1,900 year old teaching on Mary.

The FACT is there are historical Christian writings from1,900 years ago that say she was a perpetual virgin.

Those are the FACTS....Get over it. There is no argument.....there is only rejection of the FACTS by SOME Protestants.

Keeping it real....Mary

Reactions: Sigma

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You haven't shown why Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's siblings, because you refuse to answer the questions under each section of verses in the opening post here.
@BlessedPeace can't show you because it's not in Scripture. IF they do, I look forward to their evidence.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Jesus had brothers and sisters is not in dispute.....
YES, it is in dispute. That is what we are doing right now o_O

Your Protestant men started disputing it about 500 years ago. YOU don't dispute it because you reject the 2,000-year teaching of Christianity and accept a 500 year teaching. AND you reject what Scripture says when properly translated.

Keeping it real....Mary

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But while He (Jesus) was still speaking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and His brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak with Him (Matthew 12:46, HBFV, see also Mark 3:31, Luke 8:19).

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't bet. I keep my money and do with it what I want.

Mary had children as the bible spells out. Anyone that can't see that is distorting the truth to believe some lie fabricated by someone for some reason that remains unknown to me.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But while He (Jesus) was still speaking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and His brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak with Him (Matthew 12:46, HBFV, see also Mark 3:31, Luke 8:19).
We will believe the word of God or the ideas and opinions of little men=all our choice!!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P1

Scripture says she was a virgin.
Yes, she was (past tense)
Nothing in Scripture says she had other children.
Not true
Our Christian history says she remained a virgin.
YOUR history said so.. Not christian history
About 500 years ago SOME Protestants started teaching opposite of Scripture and Christian history.

Mary
Actually they started to appose the roman church, because they started to study the word..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't bet. I keep my money and do with it what I want.

Mary had children as the bible spells out. Anyone that can't see that is distorting the truth to believe some lie fabricated by someone for some reason that remains unknown to me.
Because it would appose their belief system..

They are told to never do that.. I think it is a fear tactic used by that church, Much like the jews did against their people

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) aren't specifically called "siblings," nor "half-brothers," but rather "ἀδελφοὶ" (adelphoi), which has the broad familial definition "kinsman, or relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc. Can you provide evidence that proves Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His siblings? I know you can't, because in my thread Were they Jesus’s siblings?, I’ve proven Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of His mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus, thus making them His cousins.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) aren't specifically called "siblings," nor "half-brothers," but rather "ἀδελφοὶ" (adelphoi), which has the broad familial definition "kinsman, or relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc. Can you provide evidence that proves Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His siblings? I know you can't, because in my thread Were they Jesus’s siblings?, I’ve proven Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of His mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus, thus making them His cousins.
I don't go with people's own interpretations of the bible, I actually use the NKJV and believe that.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't go with people's own interpretations of the bible, I actually use the NKJV and believe that.

Koine Greek isn't an interpretation, it's a language, and it's the original language used in the books that make up the New Testament. So, what you're really saying is that you don't go with the original language used, because if you did you'd have to admit Scripture doesn't clearly "spell out" what you think it does, and you don't want to do that, especially to a Catholic. It's lazy, prideful, and dishonest.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOUR history said so.. Not christian history
Dear EG,

From our past conversations you have revealed that you do not know your own Christian history. That's ok. Most Christians don't.

After you learn your own Christian history.....we can talk.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, she was (past tense)
Nope, not past tense. Luke 1 calls Mary a virgin AND she said she does not know man.

Show me in Scripture where that is rescinded, and I will join you and your ilk.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear EG,

From our past conversations you have revealed that you do not know your own Christian history. That's ok. Most Christians don't.

After you learn your own Christian history.....we can talk.

Mary
Dear mary,

After our past conversations, it has been shown that you listen to men, They are your leaders.

We also learned that you blindly follow them so you will believe anything they say whether it is truth or not.

I know my history.l it is found in the word of God.

It is the ONLY history that can be trusted.. But only if it is correctly interpreted. Otherwise, Like the jew. Your belief of your history will be your downfall. not your reward.