Interpreting Romans 6:23 In Context

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to disagree...this passage, like pretty much everything Paul wrote, is highly theological in nature.

We seem to be missing each other. The passage is theological, yes, as I said. But there are individual verses in the passage that should not be taken as applying to every Christian who ever lived. It's like if someone claimed that the verse that says "and they were all in one accord in the upper room" was written in reference to every Christian who ever lived. Some could argue that that verse is talking about every Christian who ever lived, but in truth it is not. It is only referencing the 120 who joined the apostles in the upper room before Pentecost. I'm saying there are verses in our passage that are quite similarly not universally making reference to every Christian who ever lived.
that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. -Ephesians 3:16–19

Do you feel how rich and full of promise that passage is? Not in a 'strive towards obedience' way, but in a 'run towards joy' sort of way.

But I don't read this passage in a "run towards joy" sort of way at all, Naomi. These promises are entirely conditional on if the Ephesians drew close enough to God to see them fulfilled in their lives. The word "may" is the key word here. He is telling them that he is hoping and praying that God MAY do those things in and through them. Not that He already has, but that He may. "I bow my knees to the Father... that He may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...I suppose that I would say...I do hope that when your box opens, your cat will be found healthy! :p
I'm probably going to sign off over Christmas, so I hope you have a very Merry, blessed Christmas with your family!

A Ha Ha!

cat-box.jpg

I hope you have a great Christmas as well, sister, and thanks for the discussion : )
God bless!

Reactions: brakelite

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Blessings, Earnest T., and I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

I am in agreement with most of your interpretation. The only exception would be here where you say justification comes after entering into obedience (i.e. #3). My belief is that we are immediately justified the moment we put faith and trust in Christ having died on our behalf. Where I think obedience comes in is that if it remains blatantly absent from the believer's life, the justification that came as a free gift can be rescinded if the sin is egregious enough.

But maybe I'm not fully understanding you correctly. Just thought I'd clarify where we would potentially disagree.

Thanks for the post.

Hi,

Paul put "obeying from the heart" BEFORE 'freed from sin (justified)" in Romans 6:18-19.

As Paul points out in verses 16 if one is not serving 'obedience unto righteousness" then he is serving 'sin unto death'. No one can be justified while continuing to serve sin unto death. There is not a single example of one being justified BEFORE obeying the will of God.

One other point.....obedience to God's will does not earn justification but obedience is a necessary condition God has put upon His free gift of justification. Again, I know of no example in the Bible of one earning God's grace by being obedient to God. One's obedience will not be perfect and flawless therefore an imperfect obedience can never merit justification. Hence grace is needed for one not being perfectly sinless.

Justification therefore takes God's grace and man's obedience for again if man is not obeying then he is serving "sin unto death" and serving "sin unto death" does not bring grace but death while "obedience unto righteousness" does bring about grace.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is good. It's why I have no problem with your insistence on discussing the word. I just think there are things there that require a leading of the Spirit to see - many things actually - and we miss them unless we have ears to hear, and are not dull of hearing (not you; I'm talking about everyone here).
Hi Hidden In Him,

I think all things spiritual require the leading of the Holy Spirit to see, and He shows us those things as He chooses. But that just the same, all truth that is revealed from God, aside from personal revelations intended for our lives, but that the truth of the Gospel and God and man is in the Bible.

The Holy Spirit may use a dream or vision or revelation to bring us to a spiritual understanding. But that thing we understand must be tested against the Word of God, which will determine whether it is true or not, whether we understand rightly or not.

We need to be paying attention, but sometimes, even that doesn't matter when God begins to move. But an open heart towards Him is best.

And in as much as I am mindful of God with me, and His love for me, all matters of sin and obedience resolve themselves into - no - I won't say perfect - but into obedience out of faith in God's saving grace in my life, not faith in God's grace, faith in God, my Faithful Creator.

This is also good. If you'll notice, I never argue with this.

Does this mean you see it the same?

All matters of sin and obedience resolve themselves into - unmindfulness of sin - in God's presence. We can never be the judge of ourselves, only Jesus knows us well enough to do that, we can only know that we are in fact reconciled to God, and in knowing this, we know we are not under any condemnation out of disobedience, and in knowing this, we are released to serve Christ fully. Not double minded, unstable. Both minds fighting for control, the mind of the flesh against the mind of Christ. Through death and resurrection in Christ, the mind of the flesh now has a more powerful rival, and it has been made powerless.

God has released us from all the horror because we are no longer of that creation, "Let there be light . . ." We are a new creation, where sin does not exist, "He has shone in our hearts. . ." Notice the difference . . . "let there be light", "He has shone into our hearts".

Our mission in this world is to harness the fallen flesh to serve God. Offer our bodies a living sacrifice. Present your members, body parts, as instruments for righteousness.

Being recreated moves us into the Kingom of Christ. The condemnation for wrongdoing is against the Adamic creation.

This is what it then means to be freed from sin through death in Christ, being raised with Him unto newness of life.

OK, I think I'm getting back to the passage!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well yes, I think there are some that can react like this. And I think the Lord takes special care with such people that they don't misunderstand what issuing said. But for me the power to live godly is not emotion-based. Rather it is His actual Presence. Only through His Presence do we have His power, and it is not something that we simply believe we experience "by faith."

Hi HIH, On this above . . .

Do you not believe you are always in God's Presence? By faith I believe I am with God and He is with me, and in my life experience, I know this is true. But it is always by faith. Our walk is by believing, not by seeing. What is seen should always be judged according to belief, and that belief is to be founded in the Word of God. I know you know these things, just to remind.

When are we not in His Presence? When is it that we actually lack the power to live godly lives? To do righteousness? To live in holiness? We can always do these. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

I believe we are always able to live pleasing to God by believing that He is here to make it so, faith that gives us access into the grace in which we stand.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Paul put "obeying from the heart" BEFORE 'freed from sin (justified)" in Romans 6:18-19.

Thanks for explaining your position, Earnest T.
I don't know that I have the time and energy for a long-winded back and forth on it, but I will just state what I think contradicts this (in a nutshell):

V.22 seems to reverse the process, stating, "But now being made free from sin, and having become slaves to God, you have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." Also, the analogy in this passage is of being purchased out of slavery to sin through Christ's blood. Thus, "being made free from sin" is a reference to when ownership is transferred from sin over to Christ, i.e. it takes place (I believe anyway) the moment we put faith in His having died for our sins.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
while "obedience unto righteousness" does bring about grace.
If obedience brings grace, how is it that you can obey? I would answer that obedience comes through grace. By faith we have access into the grace in which we stand. To stand, I believe, includes obedience. Rather, standing means remaining true to our nature.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in as much as I am mindful of God with me, and His love for me, all matters of sin and obedience resolve themselves into... obedience out of faith.

All matters of sin and obedience resolve themselves into - unmindfulness of sin

:). I read these as two different statements. Mindfulness of God resolving into obedience is the ultimate objective. Mindfulness of God resolving into unmindfulness of sin is simply a helpful step on the way to the former; an encouragement not to look backward at one's failings but forward to one's successes. This is why I don't disagree with it.

But actually, the more I look at the original statement, you may be saying something I really don't agree with by the word "resolve." If by "resolve" you mean "resolve themselves as a result of my seeking to enter ever-deeper into Christ," then yes. But if by "resolve themselves" you are suggesting sin and obedience resolve themselves automatically by being mindless of sin, then no. There is an effort involved in entering deeper into Christ. Simply assuming or believing I have is not the same thing as actually doing so, and it can lead to self-deception IMO.
Do you not believe you are always in God's Presence? By faith I believe I am with God and He is with me, and in my life experience, I know this is true. But it is always by faith. Our walk is by believing, not by seeing. What is seen should always be judged according to belief, and that belief is to be founded in the Word of God. I know you know these things, just to remind.

When are we not in His Presence?

I think this might illustrate a difference in our church backgrounds, marks. I was a Baptist for awhile, but most of my church life was spent around Pentecostal churches. Thus, when I am referring to being in His Presence, I am talking largely about Pentecostal experiences; i.e. being caught up in the Spirit. For instance, there were times during services I was involved in that the Spirit of God fell so strongly upon the congregation that no one, not a single soul, said a word or even moved from their seats or places for upwards of 15 minutes. The Presence of God was so strong that no one dared disturb the sacredness of it. There are a number of other experiences I have had with the Presence of God, but I'm not referring to simply knowing that He is with me. I am referring to quite literally feeling His manifest Presence. I have felt His Spirit descend upon me tangibly a great many times. These are the kinds of things I am talking about when I refer to abiding in His Presence.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:). I read these as two different statements. Mindfulness of God resolving into obedience is the ultimate objective. Mindfulness of God resolving into unmindfulness of sin is simply a helpful step on the way to the former; an encouragement not to look backwards at one's failings but forward to one's successes. This is why I don't disagree with it.

But actually, the more I look at the original statement, you may be saying something I really don't agree with by the word "resolve." If by "resolve" you mean "resolve themselves as a result of my seeking to enter ever-deeper into Christ," then yes. But if by "resolve themselves" you are suggesting sin and obedience resolve themselves automatically by being mindless of sin, then no. There is an effort involved in entering deeper into Christ. Simply assuming or believing I have is not the same thing as actually doing so, and it can lead to self-deception IMO.
OK, good!

Do you think we are always aware of sins we commit?

What I'm saying is that when I am focused on God, my mind anchored on Him, I am at peace with all things, because I am filled with peace from Him. And being at peace, there is never any desire for anything other than what God is doing, and therefore, no sin.

I'm saying two things here.

One is that being freed from sin, we are in fact that, freed from sin. There is no sin that has any power over us to make us commit it. Our flesh CANNOT make us sin, not anymore.

For me, the effort in "entering into Christ" is to remain trusting in the reconciliation that God accomplished.

I am in Christ, and Christ is in me, and by accepting this as reality, that this is what God did, I am free to live according to my new nature.

The other is that even if we do sin, and do we know all the sins we commit? I doubt it. Even if we do, there is no separation, we have been reconciled, and that reconciliation remains.

If we have awareness of sin in our lives, that should not become a stumbling block into legalism as we imagine that God now pushes us away until we get clean again, so now we must start minding our behavior.

Simply returning our thoughts onto Jesus, and His care for us, and His life in us, and His love, is sufficient to conquer all sins, all temptations, and to restore us to that wonderful feeling of peace, because we have peace with God.

Believing I'm in Christ allows me the benefit of being in Christ. If I don't think I am, then what?

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, good!

Do you think we are always aware of sins we commit?

What I'm saying is that when I am focused on God, my mind anchored on Him, I am at peace with all things, because I am filled with peace from Him. And being at peace, there is never any desire for anything other than what God is doing, and therefore, no sin.

Absolutely. I would put it that I am aware of sin, but it is just sort of a mild nuisance that I don't think about for very long. I'm too conscious of continuing to walk with God, so consciousness of sin is constantly being put behind me as I press on towards the mark.
One is that being freed from sin, we are in fact that, freed from sin. There is no sin that has any power over us to make us commit it.

Correct. A genuine experience of being born again breaks the power of demons off of us, to where one has to want to return to sin to continue committing it. Unfortunately many still do, but that's where fully consecrating one's life unto God comes in.
If we have awareness of sin in our lives, that should not become a stumbling block into legalism as we imagine that God now pushes us away until we get clean again, so now we must start minding our behavior.

No, no. Not at all. I believe that thinking we must mind our behavior to again walk with God would be the absolute WORST thing we could do. In reality, I'm a 100% total scuzball in my own eyes, LoL. It is a given, yesterday, today and forever. My only hope is that Christ abide in me, so I set my mind only on how much I am abiding in Him.
Simply returning our thoughts onto Jesus, and His care for us, and His life in us, and His love, is sufficient to conquer all sins, all temptations, and to restore us to that wonderful feeling of peace, because we have peace with God.

Here I would slightly disagree. Being mindful of all these things continually restores me to a feeling of peace that I am forgiven. But only obedience gives me a feeling of peace that I am moving on to bigger and better things than simply being forgiven : )

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH wrote: Well yes, I think there are some that can react like this. And I think the Lord takes special care with such people that they don't misunderstand what issuing said. But for me the power to live godly is not emotion-based. Rather it is His actual Presence. Only through His Presence do we have His power, and it is not something that we simply believe we experience "by faith."

I think this might illustrate a difference in our church backgrounds, marks. I was a Baptist for awhile, but most of my church life was spent around Pentecostal churches. Thus, when I am referring to being in His Presence, I am talking largely about Pentecostal experiences; i.e. being caught up in the Spirit. For instance, there were times during services I was involved in that the Spirit of God fell so strongly upon the congregation that no one, not a single soul, said a word or even moved from their seats or places for upwards of 15 minutes. The Presence of God was so strong that one dared not disturb the sacredness of it. There are a number of other experiences I have had with the Presence of God, but I'm not referring to simply knowing that He is with me. I am referring to quote literally feeling His manifest Presence. I have also felt His Spirit descend upon me tangibly a great many times. These are the kinds of things I am talking about when I refer to abiding in His Presence.

You've said the power to live godly is found in his Presence, which then you describe as those certain times when you and groups have felt "overwhelmed" if you will, with God's Spirit.

Do you believe that you can only live faithfully in those times?

Church backgrounds? I don't know about that.

What if I were to tell you that the times between being caught up in God's presence, having the life experience of being with God, could become that 15 minute exception? Or a 5 minute exception? Or that you never notice when you blink for a moment?

I'm not just talking about knowing by faith that God is here. Yes, it is by faith that we know God is here, but through that faith we find the Way to fullness of joy, fullness of power, the fullness of love, because He actually IS here. He actually IS speaking to me, guiding my life, empowering me to be strong in my infirmities.

He actually HAS reconciled me to Himself, fully, completely, permanently. You can't join "partly holy" to "absolutely holy". We are one with Him.

There are the wonderful feelings of God's presence when He gives us a fresh filling of His Spirit.

To walk daily in that Spirit is equally wonderful, and no less supernatural! Transcendant.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. I would put it that I am aware of sin, but it is just sort of a mild nuisance that I don't think about for very long. I'm too conscious of continuing to walk with God, so consciousness of sin is constantly being put behind me as I press on towards the mark.
I love this mindset!

I can't help but remember . . . in years past, being conscious of sins, and watching as these are addressed, only to become conscious of other sins, sins that weren't on my radar before. So I wonder . . . what's not on my radar now, that God isn't addressing at the moment, but that He will in the time to come, when I will realize, that too was sin?

But truly this is the answer, that we keep our minds on the Lord, and keep moving ahead.

One is that being freed from sin, we are in fact that, freed from sin. There is no sin that has any power over us to make us commit it.

Correct. A genuine experience of being born again breaks the power of demons off of us, to where one has to want to return to sin to continue committing it. Unfortunately many still do, but that's where fully consecrating one's life unto God comes in.

I would say rather that being crucifed to the flesh means we aren't it anymore, therefore don't have to do what it wants. Being in Christ does free us from evil powers, but I believe sinfulness is from the corruption of the flesh rather than unclean spirits.

Here I would slightly disagree. Being mindful of all these things continually restores me to a feeling of peace that I am forgiven. But only obedience gives me a feeling of peace that I am moving on to bigger and better things than simply being forgiven : )

OK then!

I would say that living at peace with God is obedience. Simply being forgiven, that's just the beginning. Reconciled and reborn. An entirely new and clean life spent growing in grace and truth and love, that is obedience. Remaining true to our nature means no lost time as God creates us pleasing to Him.

Living at peace with God my spirit fully goes after Him. Nothing to stop my heart from having what it wants, my new heart, the new mind, which desires God.

I think that when we see obedience in our lives we can feel encouraged because we see results, but that result was never in question to God. But our reconcilation to God was never based on our behavior, has only been based on the work of Christ.

For so many years I was putting the cart before the horse. Much better this way!

Much love!

B

brakelite

There is not a single example of one being justified BEFORE obeying the will of God
If being born again is the very moment one is justified (and I believe it is, both biblically and experientially) from whence does the carnal (not born again) person find either the will or the strength to obey? And to obey what? Who?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've said the power to live godly is found in his Presence, which then you describe as those certain times when you and groups have felt "overwhelmed" if you will, with God's Spirit.

Do you believe that you can only live faithfully in those times?

Well, this is going all the way back to the statement that you made of, "people get focused on their performance, and lose their joy in their salvation. And likewise find they lack the power to live godly, because they are trying to reform their flesh, not following a walk in faith and rest."

The key word here is the power to lead a godly life, and whenever you speak of power you generally need to distinguish between the power of the flesh and the power of the Spirit. And ultimately the power of God is found in His Presence. But there are certainly differing degrees. On Pentecost, His Spirit fell so strongly that tongues of fire were seen visibly upon the apostles. To a far lesser degree I experience His Presence when He is revealing something to me from His word, and though not to be compared to the experience described in Acts Chapter 2, such times nevertheless do empower me to live a godly life. I also experience His Presence during worship, and sometimes during prayer, and when I reach places where I am experiencing His Presence through none of these things, this is where the empowerment to live a godly life starts to wain significantly.

So yes, in effect, the Presence of God does need to be there in at least some form, or the empowerment will begin to wain away to nothing.
I'm not just talking about knowing by faith that God is here. Yes, it is by faith that we know God is here, but through that faith we find the Way to fullness of joy, fullness of power, the fullness of love, because He actually IS here. He actually IS speaking to me, guiding my life, empowering me to be strong in my infirmities.

There are the wonderful feelings of God's presence when He gives us a fresh filling of His Spirit.

To walk daily in that Spirit is equally wonderful, and no less supernatural! Transcendant.

I'm largely in agreement with you here, only I have reached a place in life where I'm desiring more than just the power to walk daily in the Spirit. I'm now to the point of desiring to walk in the powers of the age to come and in greater supernatural gifts. I guess that's more of what I was referring to by referencing "the godly life," so maybe I was redefining the expression beyond the way it is normally taken. My fault for confusing things, so I apologize for that. I had to go back and find where this particular interaction started, cuz I quite honestly got a little lost, LoL.
I can't help but remember . . . in years past, being conscious of sins, and watching as these are addressed, only to become conscious of other sins, sins that weren't on my radar before. So I wonder . . . what's not on my radar now, that God isn't addressing at the moment, but that He will in the time to come, when I will realize, that too was sin?

Yes. See, I have come to the place of quite honestly feeling that anything is sin that is not fully manifesting Christ in all His power. That is NOT the way I view others, mind you. It is how I view myself. Anything short of manifesting Christ in all His power and glory is imperfection, and since the NT teaching is to abide in Him, to whatever extent that I do not, to this extent I view myself as the worthless individual that I am. I am nothing in myself, and this is brought back to me every moment of every day. But through the promises of God, I can enter increasingly into the One who has been given all power and authority both in Heaven and on earth. But it is a high calling for all of us, and all of us are on different places on the path to fulfilling this. Some are still in the place of not really believing it possible, but this I believe is simply a matter of not yet having powerfully tasted of His Presence in any substantive way yet.
I would say that living at peace with God is obedience. Simply being forgiven, that's just the beginning. Reconciled and reborn. An entirely new and clean life spent growing in grace and truth and love, that is obedience.

I agree : )
I think that when we see obedience in our lives we can feel encouraged because we see results, but that result was never in question to God. But our reconcilation to God was never based on our behavior, has only been based on the work of Christ.

For so many years I was putting the cart before the horse. Much better this way!

I think God trusts us to walk in obedience, yes. That is what is meant by how our faith is accounted unto us as righteousness. He trusts that because we believe Him we will begin doing what He says. So we are reconciled from the start through faith, and it is entirely His work as you say.

I honestly never put the cart before the horse as you had. I always understood I belonged to Him by grace. I suppose coming to Him out of satanist heavy metal will do that to a person, LoL. But I have now come to the place (after 30 years) where I want a lot more horses in front of the cart, if you will. I want far more of Christ, and far less of me. This comes off as a works-based message to some, but for me it is simply the next thing I am being called to in my walk with God, and not doing so is to begin walking in disobedience. There is a saying, "To whom much is given, much is expected," and this is why Paul said "Woe be unto me if I do not preach the gospel." He had been entrusted with the gospel, with great power, and also with great responsibility. And I believe we are all on that road. The longer we walk with Him, the more we grow, and the more is entrusted to us. And the more that is entrusted to us, the more we bear a responsibility to God to walk in obedience.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm largely in agreement with you here, only I have reached a place in life where I'm desiring more than just the power to walk daily in the Spirit. I'm now to the point of desiring to walk in the powers of the age to come and in greater supernatural gifts.

I'm curious . . . what makes you to think I mean anything different?

Walking in Christ is walking in His power. The power to not sin, but also the power to do righteousness, and whatever kind God wants. No matter what gifts are required, we have His power.

Yes! Walk in it!

What I'm trying to express is that I believe this is all yours in believing.

I honestly never put the cart before the horse as you had. I always understood I belonged to Him by grace.

And yet you believe that you can become lost to God by sufficiently bad behavior? Isn't that the cart before the horse? Well, that's what we disagree on I suppose.

Some are still in the place of not really believing it possible, but this I believe is simply a matter of not yet having powerfully tasted of His Presence in any substantive way yet.

Our walk is by believing and not by seeing. Even if you don't taste it yet, believe it.

By faith we have access into the grace in which we stand. What will it take before we believe? Can we believe the Words of the Book? Or will we only believe when we see lights in the sky? Or something?

It seems as though you see this as analog, and I see it as binery. You can become more "in Christ", while I see us either in Christ or not.

I don't see where our intimacy with God need have any lapse or gaps, but constancy in faith. I believe God's presence is constant in our lives, the power to live godly is constant, and the giftings by which He works through us our constant, according to whatever He wants to do.

I simply expect that God will guide, and provide all that is needed, whether time, resources, supernatural ability, whatever it is. And He does, if you only believe.

Much love!

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Walking in Christ is walking in His power. The power to not sin, but also the power to do righteousness, and whatever kind God wants. No matter what gifts are required, we have His power.

Yeah, but here is where we actually disagree. I have Pentecostal friends who take this position as well, that the supernatural gifts are "already ours" in Christ and all we have to do is just appropriate them by faith. But I do NOT agree with it, LoL. The power of God is not simply appropriated by faith. It is only entrusted to those whom the Lord deems fit not to fall back into sin, pride, abuse of the body of Christ, etc. Power corrupts people, and it is no different when it comes to the power of God. A great many good men have been corrupted by Satan because they could not handle the temptations that came with greater supernatural gifts and empowerment.
What I'm trying to express is that I believe this is all yours in believing.

Yeah, like I said, here we strongly disagree. You don't give a Maserati to a ten year old, or worse yet a top fuel dragster. He will do harm to himself and others. God always has the individual in mind when He gives out powerful gifts, and not all are of the age yet spiritually where they can handle them. Please note: I include myself here, though I am becoming more responsible about how I treat other believers with every passing day.
You can become more "in Christ", while I see us either in Christ or not.

Yes, here is our difference. I believe there are differing extents to how much one "abides in Christ," and differing extents to how much Christ manifests Himself within the lives of different believers.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, but here is where we actually disagree. I have Pentecostal friends who take this position as well, that the supernatural gifts are "already ours" in Christ and all we have to do is just appropriate them by faith. But I do NOT agree with it, LoL. The power of God is not simply appropriated by faith. It is only entrusted to those whom the Lord deems fit not to fall back into sin, pride, abuse of the body of Christ, etc. Power corrupts people, and it is no different when it comes to the power of God. A great many good men have been corrupted by Satan because they could not handle the temptations that came with greater supernatural gifts and empowerment.

Yeah, like I said, here we strongly disagree. You don't give a Maserati to a ten year old, or worse yet a top fuel dragster. He will do harm to himself and others. God always has the individual in mind when He gives out powerful gifts, and not all are of the age yet spiritually where they can handle them. Please note: I include myself here, though I am becoming more responsible about how I treat other believers with every passing day.

Yes, here is our difference. I believe there are differing extents to how much one "abides in Christ," and differing extents to how much Christ manifests Himself within the lives of different believers.
Hi HIH,

We remain in the "parent/child" relationship. I'm the child, He's the Parent, stay close to Him, and He'll take care of everything. We don't decide who gets what when.

I don't have to worry about that, God knows what He wants me to do and how He wants it done. All I need be concerned with is keeping my mind anchored on God. What comes, comes moment by moment. And in my weakness is His strength.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi HIH,

We remain in the "parent/child" relationship. I'm the child, He's the Parent, stay close to Him, and He'll take care of everything. We don't decide who gets what when.

That's correct. And there are things that factor into His decisions.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing about this . . . I do not believe that the power of God corrupts us.

People are tempted to sin because they are enticed by lusts.

Is it the new creation that is enticed by sin? Or the old?

The charisma of God, His grace which is our power, is ours in Christ. This doesn't mean we can do whatever we want. Because that would be what We want, not submitted in humility to God.

I believe true submission is the direct result of true humility, as we realize how nothing we are, and have come to lean on God for the successful completion of each moment of life.

In saying that God only entrusts His power to those whom He deems fit, because some have been corrupted because they couldn't handle it, you are saying that God "deems fit" some who will prove "they could not handle the temptations" that came with it?

God knows the outcome of everything, and every step of the way. He has His program for me. Sometimes it includes amazing experiences, and sometimes not. At all times it is to be a walk of faith. And I know that God has prepared these works for me, and that He will give to me a full self-sufficiency for every good work.

When we talk about the 'charisma' that is from God, I think we are talking about the power that is from God out of His goodness towards us, that is the power for this creation to exist, the power for us to be reborn, power to walk daily in holiness, power to do works of righteousness, power to transcend the natural order of things in special gifts and works and revelation.

I think this power is central to being a new creation, and living as such. And I think that if it's either me or God who is holding me back from attaining to more, it's got to be me!

Much love!