Intolerance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Is the intolerance for opposing opinions that is now so prevalent across western society, any different from the religious intolerance that so dominated society during the dark ages? Are not the results the same?
Could it be that the ideology behind such intolerance, in both ages, has a common source?

Good topic Backlit...

Iv thought about this myself and i tend to agree with the 20th century scientist Karl Popper.

"if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Karl Popper described it as the seemingly paradoxical idea that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must retain the right to be intolerant of intolerance."

Should we tolerate criminals and thieves? NO
Should we tolerate sin and the celebration of it? NO
Should we tolerate the attack on Gods Word? NO

Karl Poppers paradox of tolerance is well illustrated in this meme

poppers paradox.jpeg

"Popper contends that a society that tolerates intolerant ideas will succumb to the forces of the intolerant, which are inherently dangerous. Thus, the notion of a completely tolerant society is destroyed."

All this talk of being "tolerant" is just a cover. Another buzzword used by marxists to attract people. Words like "diversity", "inclusion", "equality"
Christ never told us to be tolerant of ungodly people, to be tolerant of people celebrating sin. We already tolerate too much behaviour which is contrary to Gods Word; adultery, abortion, transgenderism, homosexuality and the list goes on unitl we become a godless society without morals as its happened in the past and is happening now

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do that inside myself all the time.
There are still a lot of things I am not fully persuaded of.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

And so we make known to others of our doubts or persuasions. And everyone hath a psalm and a revelation...

Intolerance is when we flat out refuse to listen to what someone else believes, ponders, "rambles"
and begins to attack the person and not the thing which is put on the table for discussion.
We should be able to reasonably discuss things as rational adults.
If it's a gentle easy post, I try to be gentle and easy.
If it's a difficult post, sometimes I have to read it 3 or 4 times to understand what it is the poster is trying to say.
Because we don't all hear the same, some don't really read the post, they just pounce on it without considering the whole thing.
It takes a lot of patience. And patience takes time. And not many people take the time to have patience.

There are a lot of things in this world that I am on auto pilot to just discard. No discussion.
It's taken me a long time to at least willingly hear the other side, even if I don't agree. I try to show at least that much respect for the person who is taking the time to share their thoughts.

I may still come out and disagree, but at least I took the time to listen.
And there are still times I fall short on that too.

No, we're not perfect. We can strive to be the best that we can be with the Lord's help.
Humbleness... it always comes back to that, and Hospitality.
Charity.
It's fading in the world around us. We need to find a way to keep the candle burning, to keep the light alive.
But one has to be willing. And maybe that's the hardest battle of all.

Just rambing..
Much Love
Hugs
@Ziggy Romans 14 is indeed a searching chapter....

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good topic Backlit...

Iv thought about this myself and i tend to agree with the 20th century scientist Karl Popper.

"if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Karl Popper described it as the seemingly paradoxical idea that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must retain the right to be intolerant of intolerance."

Should we tolerate criminals and thieves? NO
Should we tolerate sin and the celebration of it? NO
Should we tolerate the attack on Gods Word? NO

Karl Poppers paradox of tolerance is well illustrated in this meme

View attachment 21556

"Popper contends that a society that tolerates intolerant ideas will succumb to the forces of the intolerant, which are inherently dangerous. Thus, the notion of a completely tolerant society is destroyed."

All this talk of being "tolerant" is just a cover. Another buzzword used by marxists to attract people. Words like "diversity", "inclusion", "equality"
Christ never told us to be tolerant of ungodly people, to be tolerant of people celebrating sin. We already tolerate too much behaviour which is contrary to Gods Word; adultery, abortion, transgenderism, homosexuality and the list goes on unitl we become a godless society without morals as its happened in the past and is happening now

What Popper speaks of is in similar vein to an English philosopher John Locke, who influenced such as James Madison and company in their thoughts on religious liberty and the formation of the constitution.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I know is that God has called us to live in peace and Paul said God would judge those on the outside - and as for living in a "pagan world" it is mentioned in 1 Peter 2 how to do so.

1 Peter 2: 11-12

Living Godly Lives in a Pagan Society
11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

All over the place it is saying things to the effect of "...so that they don't say anything bad about us" and "prove them wrong."

The world is the world; the world is dark. We could/should act as active lights to encourage others to come out of the dark.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Occasionally yes. Not as often as I would like. They are beautiful and tolerate human company... To a point. ;)

Yea the King parrot. I never seen one in Vic but I was blessed to see them in Canberra. They tolerated me watching them from a close distance. ;)
I find rosella's have a Nazi like intolerance of humans. They see you coming from high up on their perch and they'll take off without you even seeing them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The souls that God will hold him accountable for.
God holds us all accountable for telling the truth regarding the gospel, and giving men the choice. He most certainly will hold you accountable for the unnecessary and untimely deaths of those He desired to be saved but for the early intervention of over zealous religionists who had no mercy nor love for the sinner, but had much love for themselves and their own evil surmising as to what God wanted.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yea the King parrot. I never seen one in Vic but I was blessed to see them in Canberra. They tolerated me watching them from a close distance. ;)
I find rosella's have a Nazi like intolerance of humans. They see you coming from high up on their perch and they'll take off without you even seeing them. :rolleyes:
I watch the rosellas from my dining room window every day, but the moment I venture outside, they hightail it outa there. IMG20211002180259.jpg IMG20210809131236.jpg

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God holds us all accountable for telling the truth regarding the gospel, and giving men the choice. He most certainly will hold you accountable for the unnecessary and untimely deaths of those He desired to be saved but for the early intervention of over zealous religionists who had no mercy nor love for the sinner, but had much love for themselves and their own evil surmising as to what God wanted.
I see you have meditated on the defects of the Catholic Church. Well, you do need tools.

Are you thinking that shepherd's aren't held accountable if they neglect their flock?

Maybe they are obsolete?

I'm amazed at the lengths anti-catholics will go to.
I reckon that length is relative to the amount of Catholic error required to support your faith.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I see you have meditated on the defects of the Catholic Church. Well, you do need tools.

Are you thinking that shepherd's aren't held accountable if they neglect their flock?

Maybe they are obsolete?

I'm amazed at the lengths anti-catholics will go to.
I reckon that length is relative to the amount of Catholic error required to support your faith.
Lol. I'm not interested in your psycho babble. Sorry.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not the same. The religious intolerance of the dark ages was due to a Pastor's sense of accountability. Not that some similar motivations don't exist but the intolerance of today is all selfishness.
When has carnal man not been selfish? The only man who was always selfless was Jesus walking on planet Earth 2000 years ago.

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves" Phil 2:3

When is it that any man will like Him?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All I know is that God has called us to live in peace and Paul said God would judge those on the outside - and as for living in a "pagan world" it is mentioned in 1 Peter 2 how to do so.

1 Peter 2: 11-12

Living Godly Lives in a Pagan Society
11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

All over the place it is saying things to the effect of "...so that they don't say anything bad about us" and "prove them wrong."

The world is the world; the world is dark. We could/should act as active lights to encourage others to come out of the dark.
@FluffyYellowDuck Great thoughts; and John in his First Epistle speaks also of walking in the light.... :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When has carnal man not been selfish? The only man who was always selfless was Jesus walking on planet Earth 2000 years ago.

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves" Phil 2:3

When is it that any man will like Him?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2
Now that explains everything.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck As per your peace comment: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14.27)

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I watch the rosellas from my dining room window every day, but the moment I venture outside, they hightail it outa there. View attachment 21562 View attachment 21563

It looks like you had to sneak up to that Rosella to get that close a picture whereas the King parrot is looking straight at you, comfortable with your presence... That's what their like I found

At puffing Billy, crimson Rosella's come to your table while you eat, begging for some food. But usually they're very hard to spot as you mentioned. Iv been blessed to spot the eastern Rosella from NSW and the green Rosella from Tassie as well but usually in flight.

The Kind parrot I found after hearing its unusual call and hunting it down while I was up in Canberra recently. That was cool.

I spotted a wedge tailed eagle yesterday taking to the air as I passed by in my van. It was probably eating some roadkill. Their massive birds.