Is America a Christian or Post-Christian Nation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
A nation is considered to be Christianized when its society assumes Christian values and attitudes. It has never meant that no people sin. It has never meant that every person accepts Christ.

The U.S. was founded on faith and family. Religious pluralism was important to the founders, but their own faith was explicitly Christian. This is well documented. America prospered because faith was considered foundational to democracy. People without it are not trustworthy to keep a democracy functioning.

There has been a war of faith in the U.S. for the last 45 years at least. In '62 praying in schools was banned. In '63 the Supreme Court then found that reading the bible in public schools was unconstitutional. In 1980 they invalidated a state law requireing the 10 commandments to be displayed in classrooms. In 1985 they struck down a law requiring just a moment of silence for private prayer or meditation. In 1989 they found that displaying a nativity scene in a county courthouse vioalted the constitution. IN '92 religious figures were prohibited from offering prayer during public school graducations. In '93 the court ruled that it was unconstitutional for a Christian club to meet on the campus of a public school. In 2004 a student who earned a state scholarship to college was denied the right to use the funding to pursue a degree in theology. In '05 a display of the 10 commandments in two Kentucky courthouses was ruled unconstitutional.

In NJ, a 2nd grader was prohibited from singing "Awesome God" in an after-school talent show. In Texas, senior citizens meeting in a community senior center were prohibited from praying over their meals. In St. Louis an elementary student was caught praying over his lunch by a school oficial and was lifted from his seat, repremanded in front of the other students, and taken to the principal who ordered him to stop praying in school. In 2006 William and Mary College removed a cross from the Wren Chapel becuase it was an unwelcoming religious symbol. There's much much more I could list - all of these are documented in Newt Gingrich's book "A Nation Like No Other".

I believe in American exceptionalism, and I believe America has been exceptional because of its Christian character. I believe it is in extreme danger unless Christian people begin to nonviolently resist the assaults on our faith. Where are the pray-ins in public places? Why are we not marching? Why do we not insist that Christianity be treated as least as respectfully as other religions? Why are Christians silent? "America" is not a soul that will go to heaven or hell. It is just made up of people. If the Christian people don't take the country back to faith in God, who will?

Thanks to modern christianity many"christians" are as much a part of the problem as anyone else.