Is drinking sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does the Bible use the word 'wine' meaning alcohol in some instances while also meaning unfermented grape juice in other passages?

Yes or no?

An expert of your caliber would surely know.

The Bible distinguishes between the two such in the Nazirite rules;

“he shall abstain from wine and strong drink; he shall consume no vinegar, whether made from wine or strong drink, nor shall he drink any grape juice nor eat fresh or dried grapes.” Num 6:3

Reactions: dev553344

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible distinguishes between the two such in the Nazirite rules;

“he shall abstain from wine and strong drink; he shall consume no vinegar, whether made from wine or strong drink, nor shall he drink any grape juice nor eat fresh or dried grapes.” Num 6:3
So your answer undeniably implies that your response is 'NO', the Bible does NOT use the word 'wine' to mean alcohol AND grape juice.

To which you would be wrong.

Speaking of little children starving in the streets and crying to their mothers, Lamentations presents us with this passage.
"They say to their mothers, Where is corn and wine? when they swooned as the wounded in the streets of the city, when their soul was poured out into their mothers' bosom."
Lamentations 2:11-12

Verse 19 confirms they were starving. They were not craving alcoholic beverages.
Lamentations 2:19

Wine only becomes red through the fermentation process. You should know this well. Grape juice is clear when it is fresh squeezed. It must either ferment in the red/purple skins for a time to dye it a red/purple color or have artificial food coloring added to it - which they do with grape juice.

Proverbs 23:31 speaks negatively of this product of grape juice being fermented.
"Look not upon the wine (grape juice) when it is red (from sitting too long in the grape skins), when it sparkles in the cup (carbonation formed from gases resulting from the digestion process of the yeast consuming the sugars = fermentation), when it goes down smooth (the tangy taste of grape juice disappears once the sugars have been digested and the grape cells have died making it alcoholic and giving it a very smooth, dry taste)."

Again, we see the redness as a negative sign of grape juice. "... in the hand of the Lord there is a cup, and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; ... the dregs ... of the earth shall ... drink "
Psalms 75:8

"Wine is a mocker (makes a fool of you), strong drink is (causes) raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." Proverbs 20:1

"It is not for kings, O Lemuel, ... to drink wine, not for princes strong drink:"
Proverbs 31:4

"Do not drink wine nor strong drink, ... that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean; "
Leviticus 10:9-10

What was it you said again exactly?
Stan B said:
"unbridled ignorance" ... "only a total idiot would figure"
How's that foot taste?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, as you said, even Jesus drank wine. Drinking alcohol is not a sin. Drunkeness, however, is.
Sin or not, Jesus Christ (God Almighty) did not ingest a substance of dead rotting grape flesh.

There are multiple verses within Scripture that prove the word 'wine' was used to mean alcohol AND grape juice.

Jesus was 100% perfect, 100% pure when He went to the Cross. Never once did He introduce impurities into His Holy vessel or He would not have accomplished upon the Cross what He did accomplish.

There is nothing spiritually pure about alcoholic beverages that cause nothing but sin.

Wine, as we know it, is a drink of death, containing dead and rotting fruit cells, etc. It's made of death and it causes death; killing vital cells within the human body when ingested - regardless of whether the person considers themselves drunk or not.

Wine KILLS living cells upon contact; wine KILLS life. Be it one sip, or a gallon.

Grape juice, on the other hand, is very pure, physically AND spiritually - just like Christ. It nurtures and provides vital nutrients, giving LIFE to cells.

Jesus would never have consumed alcohol. A substance used as an antiseptic specifically for its nature of KILLING germs and bacteria, microorganisms, etc.

It does exactly the same thing within the human body killing even living cells and tissues.

Alcohol KILLS. Physically AND spiritually.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin or not, Jesus Christ (God Almighty) did not ingest a substance of dead rotting grape flesh.

There are multiple verses within Scripture that prove the word 'wine' was used to mean alcohol AND grape juice.

Jesus was 100% perfect, 100% pure when He went to the Cross. Never once did He introduce impurities into His Holy vessel or He would not have accomplished upon the Cross what He did accomplish.

There is nothing spiritually pure about alcoholic beverages that cause nothing but sin.

Wine, as we know it, is a drink of death, containing dead and rotting fruit cells, etc. It's made of death and it causes death; killing vital cells within the human body when ingested - regardless of whether the person considers themselves drunk or not.

Wine KILLS living cells upon contact; wine KILLS life. Be it one sip, or a gallon.

Grape juice, on the other hand, is very pure, physically AND spiritually - just like Christ. It nurtures and provides vital nutrients, giving LIFE to cells.

Jesus would never have consumed alcohol. A substance used as an antiseptic specifically for its nature of KILLING germs and bacteria, microorganisms, etc.

It does exactly the same thing within the human body killing even living cells and tissues.

Alcohol KILLS. Physically AND spiritually.
This post is just ignorant of historical information and biblical information. Show one verse, just one, that "proves" Jesus did not drink alcohol.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This post is just ignorant of historical information and biblical information. Show one verse, just one, that "proves" Jesus did not drink alcohol.
Show one verse, just one, that "proves" Jesus did drink alcohol.

He was accused of being a 'winebibber', but we know that He wasn't a drunk and the Bible makes clear that 'winebibbers' are bad. Is Jesus bad in any way shape or form?
Proverbs 23:20

John the baptist was also accused of having a demon. We know that also wasn't true.

And exactly where is that post wrong historically and Biblically?

Last edited:

Mugre Pinzon

Oct 4, 2019
Fairbanks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had read the account you would note that the servants were needed to fill the jugs The person who asked Jesus to make the wine, knew from experience knew this was something Jesus was goof at.

Nobody actually asked Jesus to make the wine. His mom expected Him to, and He knew she expected Him to. He was an obedient son.

Reactions: Stan B

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He was accused of being a 'winebibber', but we know that He wasn't a drunk and the Bible clearly states that 'winebibbers' are bad. Is Jesus bad in any way shape or form?

John the baptist was also accused of having a demon. We know that also wasn't true.

Drunkards is not the same thing as just drinking alcohol. I have drank alcohol but I have NEVER been drunk. So your point of winebibbers is ridiculous.

What does John the Baptist have to do with this? Nothing.

As far as drinking wine, we know that Jesus partook of the passover meal. They drank WINE at the passover meal. Not grape juice.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

He was accused of being a 'winebibber', but we know that He wasn't a drunk and the Bible clearly states that 'winebibbers' are bad. Is Jesus bad in any way shape or form?

You seem to embrace wine as a source of misery, and if that provides some sort of satisfaction then go for it, and enjoy your misery.

I take a different path. Wine is a gift to mankind as a symbol of joy and gladness:

"Wine to gladden the heart of man" Psalm 104.

"Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works." Ecclesiastes 9:7

I have chosen to gladden my heart and rejoice in what God has given me.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to embrace wine as a source of misery, and if that provides some sort of satisfaction then go for it, and enjoy your misery.

I take a different path. Wine is a gift to mankind as a symbol of joy and gladness:

"Wine to gladden the heart of man" Psalm 104.

"Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works." Ecclesiastes 9:7

I wonder how he handles 1 Timothy 5:23...

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder how he handles 1 Timothy 5:23...

Wine is the Biblical medicine for a whole lot of ailments. Timothy's dosage information was ld to take a little wine, but for severe ailments, the dosage is significantly increased:

Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to him whose life is bitter.
Let him drink and forget his poverty
And remember his trouble no more. Proverbs 31

We are talking about booze a pretty large dosage is prescribed to enable them to forget and remember their sorrow and trouble no more!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I find it hard to believe that the Lord Jesus did not really turn the water into wine after all at Cana. (The extreme Fundamentalists who want to read Prohibition into the Scriptures would likely provoke a reaction from liberals to the effect: "Oh, so you don't believe in the miracle after all..."

Abuse of alcohol is of course very bad.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is drinking sin than why Lord Jesus first miracle was turning water into wine.?

didn't read all posts. some were right but very vague!

Drinking is not a sin but getting drunk is!

also as Paul said do not use your liberty to drink if it causes a brother to stumble! You r drinking is not the sin, but causing a brother to stumble is.

Reactions: reformed1689

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does every single person who has ever arrested for being drunk say to the arresting officer?
I have drank alcohol but I have NEVER been drunk.
Bingo.

Had to laugh a little at that one.
They drank WINE at the passover meal. Not grape juice.
There's no way to prove that since I demonstrated that the Bible uses the word 'wine' when referring to alcohol AND grape juice.

If you're not a regular 'bibber' of alcohol, you have no dog in this fight to prove that it's ok for Christians to drink alcohol.

Give it up.

Let those who are invested hash it out.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus

In the OT there are many examples of people who did partake of alcoholic beverages, but consider this one where the Rechabites would not:

"And I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabites pots full of wine, and cups, and I said unto them, Drink ye wine.
But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons for ever:" Jerem 35:5-6

They were not of the natural children of Jacob/Israel!

Why was that important?

"And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he hath commanded you:
Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for ever" Jerem 35:18-19

Your post makes me think of “gall and wormwood” from Deuteronomy 29:18-19 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turns away this day from the Lord our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that bears gall and wormwood; [19] And it come to pass, when he hears the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:

is “gall and wormwood” linked to adding drunkenness to thirst? Psalm 69:12-21 They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards. [13] But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O Lord, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of your mercy hear me, in the truth of your salvation. [14] Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. [15] Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me. [16] Hear me, O Lord ; for Your lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of Your tender mercies. [17] And hide not your face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. [18] Draw near unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of my enemies. [19] You have known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: My adversaries are all before you. [20] Reproach has broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. [21] They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

“reproach has broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness” “I look for some to take pity” which the verse concerning strong drink belongs to those heavy in heart…let him drink and remember his poverty and misery no more? From Job knowing the end that the Lord is full of pity and of tender mercy?

What you posted about keeping the precepts and not drinking …makes me think of His Tasting thereof, but he would not drink? What does that mean Amadeus? When he prayed not to drink from the cup and for the cup to pass but submitting to “Father, Your will be done?”
Matthew 27:34-37 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink. [35] And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots. [36] And sitting down they watched him there; [37] And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol is a source of great misery for hundreds of MILLIONS of people all over the world.

It impacts individuals personally, as well as children of alcoholics, siblings, parents, friends, neighbors and even complete strangers who suffer the fall out, and collateral damage, of alcoholism in every corner of the world.

There's nothing to embrace but the Truth of the matter - alcohol KILLS, STEALS AND DESTROYS.

If you refuse to believe, or cannot accept, that, you are deceived and unwise.
Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a gift to mankind as a symbol of joy and gladness:
Grape juice is, no doubt. It has many healthful benefits.

Alcohol does not. It is a bane of all society.
Yes, you're a user of alcohol, we get it, and that is how you justify it to yourself.

I have friends, and family members, who are also snared by long-term alcohol addiction.

They say the exact same things.

Those who are deceived by alcohol are unwise and walk in spiritual darkness.
Proverbs 20:1
Psalms 82:5

ETA: And, for the record, I battled my way out of it by the grace of God as well. Alcohol has no place in the life of a Christian.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your post makes me think of “gall and wormwood” from Deuteronomy 29:18-19 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turns away this day from the Lord our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that bears gall and wormwood; [19] And it come to pass, when he hears the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:

is “gall and wormwood” linked to adding drunkenness to thirst? Psalm 69:12-21 They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards. [13] But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O Lord, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of your mercy hear me, in the truth of your salvation. [14] Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. [15] Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me. [16] Hear me, O Lord ; for Your lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of Your tender mercies. [17] And hide not your face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. [18] Draw near unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of my enemies. [19] You have known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: My adversaries are all before you. [20] Reproach has broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. [21] They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

“reproach has broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness” “I look for some to take pity” which the verse concerning strong drink belongs to those heavy in heart…let him drink and remember his poverty and misery no more? From Job knowing the end that the Lord is full of pity and of tender mercy?

What you posted about keeping the precepts and not drinking …makes me think of His Tasting thereof, but he would not drink? What does that mean Amadeus? When he prayed not to drink from the cup and for the cup to pass but submitting to “Father, Your will be done?”
Matthew 27:34-37 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink. [35] And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots. [36] And sitting down they watched him there; [37] And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Matthew 27:34 Lexicon: they gave Him wine to drink mixed with gall; and after tasting it, He was unwilling to drink.