Is drinking sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's almost humorous to note that those verses pertain to those who are actively dying and those who desperately need to destroy the proper functioning of their brain because their life situation is so desolate.

Certainly something Christians need in their lives. :rolleyes:
Yes but it does happen sometimes. God lets me drink, but I usually don't, because I lost my family from my mental illness and I had a bad surgery that cost me them. My wife left and married someone else and took the kids to another state. I couldn't do anything to stop it because of my mental illness. So I landed back home with my family and got thrown out homeless. Needless to say while I was homeless I stayed drunk and it was much more pleasant. It's really cold being homeless, painful. I had to sleep in the woods.

But drinking doesn't solve anything and only adds to a persons problems. So like you said, if you're dying or at the end in someway then drinking isn't going to hurt anything. But if not then Christians don't drink in my opinion.

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Reactions: GEN2REV

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking can relax a stressed person, but often that stress leads to more drinking which can get out of control rapidly causing more problems for that person. I've heard that some people can drink responsibly. And I've met some of these people. That's not me. So I don't drink often. Cause when I do it gets out of control. And I need to be in control.

I-Dont-Always-Drink-Funny-Meme.jpg

Reactions: Lambano and GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard that some people can drink responsibly. And I've met some of these people. That's not me.
Everyone I've ever known who "drank responsibly" did so daily.

But they weren't alcoholics or anything.
...I don't drink often. Cause when I do it gets out of control. And I need to be in control.
Yes. All Christians do. We are to have temperance, or self-control.

Those who believe they are fully in control when they're drunk ... are walking in spiritual darkness.
That's a great meme.

Reactions: dev553344

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="GEN2REV, post: 1300661, member: 10533

There is much evidence that Jesus did not make wine, but pure grape juice. The words used for grape juice and wine, in the original language, are the same and thus the translation into english used one word for two very different things; wine and unfermented grape juice.
.[/QUOTE]

There is no such ‘evidence’ just unbridled ignorance of those who don’t have the slightest clue what they are talking about. Only a total idiot would figure that a Jewish wedding would be celebrated with grape juice. At the wedding, Jesus made 120 gallons of WINE!

These are the same group of dumb wits that declare that Jesus drank grape juice at the Last Supper. This would be absolutely impossible! As an experienced wine maker, I am quite familiar with the necessary parameters. The Last Supper took place in the Spring at Passover, SIX months after the grape harvest. Without refrigeration, the autumn grape harvest would start being reduced to wine, which would take another month. There is absolutely no way there would be any grape juice in existence at Passover.

There seems to be no limit people will go to twist Scripture into a lie to support their false religion.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No such thing as grapepresses....all winepresses! LOL Grapepress is not even a word, but you can write Grape press. LOL In the ancient world, after a couple days grape juice pretty much became lethal.

Not only is drinking wine not a sin, wine, grapevines, and vineyards and vineyard labors are definitely part of Christ's thinking. Symbolisms and analogies and then the bread and wine ritual, that is a requirement. Ultimately, no negatives expressed. The list goes on and on but no, drinking is not a sin and wine has strong Christian connections and meanings....as per Christ. LOL

Now does common sense apply?.......Over indulgence...? if you are thinking of drinking and driving....probably more considerate to walk a tightrope acrossed the Grand Canyon.

Carpet burns are better than road rashes.

If you have issues with alcohol, do not drink....if you have issues with shellfish, do not eat shellfish.

If you abstain from alcohol for religious reasons, kool! You can do the same thing with chocolate. I am serious the Catholics do that stuff for Lent.

No religious brownie points. Sometimes common sense applies? Yep!

But then there is a side of Christianity that has come up with a long list of "don't doers" accolades.

To tell you the truth Christians would be better off coming up with a list "doers" accolades.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such ‘evidence’ just unbridled ignorance of those who don’t have the slightest clue what they are talking about. Only a total idiot would figure that a Jewish wedding would be celebrated with grape juice. At the wedding, Jesus made 120 gallons of WINE!

These are the same group of dumb wits that declare that Jesus drank grape juice at the Last Supper. This would be absolutely impossible! As an experienced wine maker, I am quite familiar with the necessary parameters. The Last Supper took place in the Spring at Passover, SIX months after the grape harvest. Without refrigeration, the autumn grape harvest would start being reduced to wine, which would take another month. There is absolutely no way there would be any grape juice in existence at Passover.

There seems to be no limit people will go to twist Scripture into a lie to support their false religion.
Great point. We all know the story of Noah and how he got drunk and naked. And we all know the story of Lot and how he got drunk and was raped. And the Mormons told me that the wine Jesus drank was grape juice. But you really put that story to the test with this time period for grape fermentation.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stan B said:

Well, like I said, everybody I've ever known that "drinks responsibly" does so daily.

And everybody I've encountered that passionately rejects the information I presented, ... "drinks responsibly."

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, like I said, everybody I've ever known that "drinks responsibly" does so daily.

And everybody I've encountered that passionately rejects the information I presented, ... "drinks responsibly."
You made me laugh, that's a good one, but seriously, I guess I'm just in one of those 'funny' moods.:D

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great point. We all know the story of Noah and how he got drunk and naked. And we all know the story of Lot and how he got drunk and was raped. And the Mormons told me that the wine Jesus drank was grape juice. But you really put that story to the test with this time period for grape fermentation.
Nobody knows for certain the exact time periods, months of the year, etc., that anything in the Bible took place. The yearly months/calendar has been changed. We know the first of the year is somewhere around Mar-Apr, but that's about as close as we can come.

Regardless, no amount of knowledge of the fermentation process, or anything else, is a certain proof of what took place in that day involving grape juice or fermented wine. All we can do is look at the entirety of Scripture to answer questions that are left unclear in God's Word; and it is plain that Jesus would not serve 120-160 GALLONS of alcohol to a people who had already finished off what was expected to be enough for them.

Was He ignorant of the consequences of intoxication? Of course not.

You have to look at everything about God and Jesus in Scripture and decide what makes the most sense concerning this topic.

Does alcohol help the body in any way whatsoever? NO. It does not. The benefits that are lauded upon wine are present in grape juice.

Does alcohol damage the body? ABSOLUTELY. It destroys, KILLS, very important cells all throughout the body.

Can drinking grape juice lead to death? Never.
Can drinking alcohol lead to death? 100% certainty.

If God wants us to take care of our bodies so that the Holy Spirit can live within us as long, and with as much health, as possible, He would never be ok with us knowingly ingesting what is undebatably POISON into our systems.

Abstaining from alcohol may not be among the 10 Commandments, but let's look at what drinking leads to:

Lying = Sin
Lack of Temperance = Sin
Carousing = Sin
Adultery = Sin
Rage = Sin
Violence = Sin
Murder = Sin

Those with Wisdom will see a pattern here.

Last edited:

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is drinking sin than why Lord Jesus first miracle was turning water into wine.?

Drinking to excess leads to sinful actions (which you already know). There are occasions when drinking can be sinful (like in the company of a recovering alcoholic). Romans 14 rules - i.e. If you can't DO IT IN FAITH - then it's SIN for you.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nobody knows for certain the exact time periods, months of the year, etc., that anything in the Bible took place. The yearly months/calendar has been changed. We know the first of the year is somewhere around Mar-Apr, but that's about as close as we can come.

Regardless, no amount of knowledge of the fermentation process, or anything else, is a certain proof of what took place in that day involving grape juice or fermented wine. All we can do is look at the entirety of Scripture to answer questions that are left unclear in God's Word; and it is plain that Jesus would not serve 120-160 GALLONS of alcohol to a people who had already finished off what was expected to be enough for them.

Was He ignorant of the consequences of intoxication? Of course not.

You have to look at everything about God and Jesus in Scripture and decide what makes the most sense concerning this topic.

Does alcohol help the body in any way whatsoever? NO. It does not. The benefits that are lauded upon wine are present in grape juice.

Does alcohol damage the body? ABSOLUTELY. It destroys, KILLS, very important cells in the body all throughout the body.

Can drinking grape juice lead to death? Never.
Can drinking alcohol lead to death? 100% certainty.

If God wants us to take care of our bodies so that the Holy Spirit can live within us as long and as healthy as possible, He would never be ok with us knowingly ingesting what is undebatably POISON into our systems.

Abstaining from alcohol may not be among the 10 Commandments, but let's look at what drinking leads to.

Lying = Sin
Lack of Temperance = Sin
Carousing = Sin
Adultery = Sin
Rage = Sin
Violence = Sin
Murder = Sin

Those with Wisdom will see a pattern here.

The only thing you have demonstrated here is that you don’t know squat about the subject!

First of all tracking our calendar with the Hebrew calendar is something a child can do, This is 5782 in the Hebrew calendar.

As for the number of gallons Jesus made, was somewhere between 120 to 150 gallons. The size of the stone jugs are familiar to archeologists and historians. The stone jugs ran from 20 to 30 gallons each. If you had read the account you would note that the servants were needed to fill the jugs The person who asked Jesus to make the wine, knew from experience knew this was something Jesus was goof at.

Seems that you are unfamiliar with weddings of that era, when a wedding feast typically lasted for one to two weeks. In this situation, if you actually take the time to read the account, they ran out of wine after only three days.

And we know that the Marriage Supper of the Lamb features fine wine.

Wine in Scripture is a symbol of JOY.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I have known, and am persuaded, in the Lord Jesus, that nothing [is] unclean of itself, except to him who is reckoning anything to be unclean — to that one [it is] unclean;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14:14‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing you have demonstrated here is that you don’t know squat about the subject!

First of all tracking our calendar with the Hebrew calendar is something a child can do, This is 5782 in the Hebrew calendar.

As for the number of gallons Jesus made, was somewhere between 120 to 150 gallons. The size of the stone jugs are familiar to archeologists and historians. The stone jugs ran from 20 to 30 gallons each. If you had read the account you would note that the servants were needed to fill the jugs The person who asked Jesus to make the wine, knew from experience knew this was something Jesus was goof at.

Seems that you are unfamiliar with weddings of that era, when a wedding feast typically lasted for one to two weeks. In this situation, if you actually take the time to read the account, they ran out of wine after only three days.

And we know that the Marriage Supper of the Lamb features fine wine.

Wine in Scripture is a symbol of JOY.
Does the Bible use the word 'wine' meaning alcohol in some instances while also meaning unfermented grape juice in other passages?

Yes or no?

An expert of your caliber would surely know.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not a sin, but if a person feels that it is wrong, then they shouldn't drink. Drunkeness, on the other hand is a sin. A little wine is good for the heart.

It's also not advisable if you're of certain Baptist persuasions as the brethren will persecute you if you have a drink ;)

If you are going to take a Baptist fishing, make sure you take two. If there is only one, he'll drink all your beer.

Reactions: Mugre Pinzon

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 31:6-7

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

to me I really don’t buy this passage as God promoting getting hammered to forget poverty and misery …but more so let those heavy of heart, the poor in spirit “come, drink all you who thirst”
Proverbs 31:4-8 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: [5] Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted. [6] Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. [7] Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more. [8] Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.

one reason I don’t buy God is recommending getting hammered to forget your misery …is first the whole of Proverbs including the woman and also “open thy mouth for the dumb” or the Lexicon version “let the mute speak”. Jesus opened the mouths of mutes but what did His opening the mouths of the mute teach? What does give drink to those miserable and of heavy hearts teach? Revelation 3:17

Second reason I don’t buy God is promoting alcohol consumption as a way to forget misery and a heavy heart… that would be a lie (Imo) because alcohol consumed as an antidote for healing or health or wealth is deceptive. Life teaches (Imo) alcohol won’t fix the problems but only add to the already existing problems. Considering God promoting alcohol as a means to forget misery and a heavy heart reminds me of John 4:13-14. Considering grabbing a twelve pack or a couple bottles of wine yet immediately after those subside…there is a thirst for more twelve packs and more bottle of wine … a growing “thirst”, a growing yearning and “taste” for that alcohol…yet God (unless I’ve misunderstood) says what He gives to those heavy hearted “they will not thirst”

Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinks of this water shall thirst again: [14] But whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus
Is drinking sin than why Lord Jesus first miracle was turning water into wine.?
VictoryinJesus said:
for me Amadeus gave a great reply regarding
Amadeus said:
It could also be a sin if you have a personal conviction against drinking alcohol at all.

In the OT there are many examples of people who did partake of alcoholic beverages, but consider this one where the Rechabites would not:

"And I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabites pots full of wine, and cups, and I said unto them, Drink ye wine.
But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons for ever:" Jerem 35:5-6

They were not of the natural children of Jacob/Israel!

Why was that important?

"And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he hath commanded you:
Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for ever" Jerem 35:18-19