Is Obedience a Condition of Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the inspired word of God; and as such it is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16).
It still has to do with the physical nation of israel under the old covenant. Has nothing to do salvation.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "working out" here, in the Greek, has to do with like working out of a math problem; so that Philippians 2:12 is reiterated quite nicely in 2 Peter 1:10.

1Jo 3:8, He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Doesn't sound like a real believer to me...
lol, a believer still sins everyday, and they arent of the devil !

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It still has to do with the physical nation of israel under the old covenant. Has nothing to do salvation.
It has everything to do with salvation.

But obviously, you have a vested interest in it not being so.

Because if it is not so, then the claim that God is making on your life through that passage is null and void.

So, believe what you want to believe. Your blood is no longer on my head.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is your position? We are all sinners, whether born again or not? BTW, King David went through great agony over his willful sin, and God forgave him because of His great mercy. Did King David continue in sin? No, he repented.
No

that’s the truth

you said saints do not so , I proved they did and do, and this is your response?

gods requirement is perfection.

you will not meet that standard until you get to heaven

so instead of being a pharisee and pumping my chest of how great I am, and am going to do what is commanded of me and seek after the things of the spirit, and learn to love others as god loved me

if you can look at yourself and think you are ok, then something is seriously wrong

to me, every day I wake up and I am not in Hell, where I deserve to be, that is a good day

Reactions: Nancy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you know that surrendering to sin equals death?

James 1
[14] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
[15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
I have not surrendered to sin

I have surrendered to loving others

but I do not think i am perfect at it, so I continue to run the race to get better at it

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You once again add the word habitually.

He said he cannot commit sin.

1 John 3:9 KJV
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
The term there means a habitual act, present ongoing sin

John did not contradict himself

he did not say we are deceived if we claim (present tense) to be without sinl then tell us we can co fess that sin, then tell us we can’t sin.

you have John contradicting himself

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has everything to do with salvation.

But obviously, you have a vested interest in it not being so.

Because if it is not so, then the claim that God is making on your life through that passage is null and void.

So, believe what you want to believe. Your blood is no longer on my head.
Has nothing to do with salvation, and it was particular to the nation of israel

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:8 KJV
[8] He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

If a believer continues to sin then this scripture would be made void because we would not be able to discern between the children of God and the children of the devil.

1 John 3:9-10 KJV
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. [10] In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
Nope

Habitual sin,

you forget peter got called out for sin by Paul long into his mission, if what you say is true, peter was not saved

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
peter got called out for sin by Paul long into his mission

Galatians 2:14 KJV
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter was called out for not walking uprightly according to the truth of gospel, not because he was sinning against the law.

By the law is the knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20). What law was Peter breaking? None.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A believer habitually sins everyday, hes carnal sold under sin Rom 7

Not so.

If a man continues in the flesh he will do the evil he does not want do. But believers who are in the Spirit will not struggle with sin.

Romans 8:8-9 KJV
[8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We are told that those who are truly saved have crucified the flesh with its desires:

Galatians 5:24 KJV
[24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so.

If a man continues in the flesh he will do the evil he does not want do. But believers who are in the Spirit will not struggle with sin.

Romans 8:8-9 KJV
[8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We are told that those who are truly saved have crucified the flesh with its desires:

Galatians 5:24 KJV
[24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Yes so. Christ instructed His followers to pray thusly Matt 6:11-12

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those Christ died for are sanctified by His Death once and for all Heb 10:10

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

They still sin wilfully everyday.
No, sanctification is not impractical.

Just as righteousness is not impractical (1 John 3:7, Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6).

Status
Not open for further replies.