Is Sound Doctrine Essential for Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question, I think we must all endure to the end by following His steps, but what do you think?
well if no one has done it yet. why do we think we can.

I believe we should seek after the things of the spirit, and look to the law of love. But as far as me enduring.. Well if I could endure I would not need Christ or his Grace.

don't you agree?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well if no one has done it yet. why do we think we can.

I believe we should seek after the things of the spirit, and look to the law of love. But as far as me enduring.. Well if I could endure I would not need Christ or his Grace.

don't you agree?
I see, Yes and No, the reason for my answer is we must have the right mindset in order to follow Him because we were bought with a price.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So does looking at Gods creation, and believing he created it and seeking him in faith. God can write on the hearts and minds of those who follow him in faith. God can speak in a sense to believers by and through the Holy Spirit of God who comes to abide in this who believe.

The bible is great, but you dont need anything from the bible if one chooses to look to God in faith and let Him work on whoever it is.
One would think, from your description, that the Bible is even needed. Yet the faith that you allude to is by hearing (reading) the word of Christ. Where else but the Bible do you hear (read) that? Answer, nowhere else.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One would think, from your description, that the Bible is even needed. Yet the faith that you allude to is by hearing (reading) the word of Christ. Where else but the Bible do you hear (read) that? Answer, nowhere else.
Just replying to the OP. No you do not need sound doctrine, if a person is faithful towards God and loves him first, and love others as theirself.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is one faithful toward God if he hasn't the Bible for information and data about the God, Jesus and the Gospel?
They look towards the one who created all the things they see.
Have you ever heard the scripture about this?

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge

Can a person who doesn't read the bible have access to God? Yes in faith, they are able to call out to him, and they will even receive the holy spirit given from Jesus without ever knowing Jesus, however will find out it was him that did everything they could not do in order to be reconciled to God. Perhaps they may not know Jesus, however, they can have faith in Yahava, the living God, and he writes on their hearts and minds by his spirit.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They look towards the one who created all the things they see.
Have you ever heard the scripture about this?

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge

Can a person who doesn't read the bible have access to God? Yes in faith, they are able to call out to him, and they will even receive the holy spirit given from Jesus without ever knowing Jesus, however will find out it was him that did everything they could not do in order to be reconciled to God. Perhaps they may not know Jesus, however, they can have faith in Yahava, the living God, and he writes on their hearts and minds by his spirit.
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.

Yes the heavens declare the results of God's work and power; however, the heavens declare nothing about God, Himself, except as creator. There is nothing in the heavens that speak of the God's saving work, the sacrifice of Jesus for the sins of the world, or the person and work of the Holy Spirit. You cannot believe in, have faith in, something or someone that you know absolutely nothing about.

If what you claim is true, there would have been no need for God's special revelation, His written word, the Bible.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.

Yes the heavens declare the results of God's work and power; however, the heavens declare nothing about God, Himself, except as creator.
Does not matter when someone decides to be humble, and bow before a God that is unseen and call out to Him. He sees them as a person who has faith.
There is nothing in the heavens that speak of the God's saving work, the sacrifice of Jesus for the sins of the world, or the person and work of the Holy Spirit.
You may miss the point of “God writes his laws on the hearts and minds of those who are his,” God can lead a person to be guided by the spirit and in turn they as a willingly person do the will of God, by Christ through them, without ever even needing to use a bible, perhaps not even knowing who Jesus is or was. Some people are flabbergasted at the thought of this being a reality.
You cannot believe in, have faith in, something or someone that you know absolutely nothing about.
Sure you can. The heavens declare the glory of God, and if Jesus is the glory of the LORD who did everything for everyone, sure a person can believe, have hope, and call out to God.
If what you claim is true, there would have been no need for God's special revelation, His written word, the Bible.
That is why I said no to the topic, and said yes to Gods ability to work in and through people; even without the need of the Bible if they are looking to Him. There is nothing wrong with studying its great. However the Spirit is primary and those fruits from God are always good.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Paul disagrees with you,

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim);
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame."
Rom 10:12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.
Rom 10:13 For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Rom 10:14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?
Rom 10:15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!"
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?"

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Paul disagrees with you,

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim);
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame."
Rom 10:12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.
Rom 10:13 For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Rom 10:14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?
Rom 10:15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!"
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?"

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Doesnt matter to me, if decide to use what Paul wrote to believers in that day. It still doesnt stop Gods way of working by the spirit in faith; the new covenant in place which was shared earlier.

I dont care if you agree or disagree. I still will say, if a person has faith towards God, loves him first and loves others out there in whatever country they are from and its from the heart, he will give them the spirit to live by without…

Ever knowing the name Jesus.

• Sad
Reactions: amigo de christo

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesnt matter to me, if decide to use what Paul wrote to believers in that day. It still doesnt stop Gods way of working by the spirit in faith; the new covenant in place which was shared earlier.

I dont care if you agree or disagree. I still will say, if a person has faith towards God, loves him first and loves others out there in whatever country they are from and its from the heart, he will give them the spirit to live by without…

Ever knowing the name Jesus.
Whatever.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever.
JBO,

Many people like try and debate scripture. While a good discussion can be had between two people, and draw out their own conclusions between one another, at the end of the day, if there is a difference of opinions, it is not a cause for 'victory' in the sense that is why debates are done. Many siding with one person or the other, if I had to choose, my siding would be in God's ability to reach people, even without ever knowing the Son of God. Therefore the scripture that was shared, with you was an important one to me, because it shows, that God's glory can be seen, that while here on earth... one can decide that perhaps there is a God that created all these things, and look to him in faith. To me even nature itself which God had created by his Word, shows life, death, and resurrection just looking at how trees, change through seasons, and flowers go through their phases.

• Hebrews 1:3: "He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power."
Who is the radiance of the glory of God? To me that answer is The Word of God (Yeshua the Messiah the Son of God)

• Psalm 19:1 The heavens tell of the glory of God;
  • And their expanse declares the work of His hands.

Creation speaks of the Word of God, because the Word of God created, when God spoke, and showed forth his glory.

• Genesis
  • The Creation​

• 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 And the earth was a [a]formless and desolate emptiness, and darkness was over the [b]surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the [c]surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “[d]Let there be light”; and there was light.

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we all had to have sound doctrine to be saved then none of use would be.
At he same time there are many of us think we are saved but were nothing but bench sitters.

Reactions: Pearl

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John chapter 7 . Jesus was hated by fake religious leaders. He exposed thier traditions and false doctrine. These pharisees went to seminary schools and distorted God's word.
The religious leaders practiced hypercritical beliefs and were self righteous.

It's ok to give all your money to church and let your parent's starve. Jesus was always morally correct. Get the picture.

Corinthians chapter 5
Leaven bread is false doctrine.
Unleavened bread is sound doctrine.

Ephesians chapter 6
The gospel armour is sound doctrine. It's knowledge and wisdom of God's word. Those wimps banking on rapture, are involved in false doctrine.

I don't respect wimps. Satan as antichrist will come 6th trump. This is spirtual war. It's words, ideas and concepts. Christian people need gospel armour on.

We don't want wimps in the foxholes with us.

Revelation chapter 13. Satan as false messiah is coming near future. He will lead one world religious system. It's 5 month period. Those who are biblically illiterate will worship antichrist.

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we were required to have sound doctrine then no one would ever get saved!

That is legalism to the point we will never have unity of the faith. This year we now have over 40,000 denominations.
Each one wants to cut the other from the body of Christ. Shame shame Christian!
See Mark 9.38.39 and the same,story in the chapter in Luke 9.

Reactions: Pearl

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is Sound Doctrine Essential for Salvation?​

what about deaf people?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just replying to the OP. No you do not need sound doctrine, if a person is faithful towards God and loves him first, and love others as theirself.
Well, there were those who appeared 'faithful' and had set up a 'doctrine' but it wasnt sound as Jesus clearly showed...

Matthew 15:1-6
1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post.

There's always a nuts and bolts creedo. We have to do something else to be saved beyond what God said He did for us.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever.
Dont heed a word that man just said to you .
No man who has the SPIRIT can all JESUS accursed . EVERY OTHER RELIGOIN and ATHIEST DOES THAT . THEY DO NOT HAVE
the SPIRIT . boyscouts can do good , buddists can do good works , even atheists , BUT THEY DONT KNOW GOD
they dont have THE SPIRIT . inclusivism is taking over many minds now , its a lie from the dragon and its being
taught under the guise of love to many within even christendom itself .
BUT JOHN WAS RIGHT and inclusivists ARE WRONG .
JOHN wrote and said WHO IS A LIAR , but HE who DENIES JESUS IS THE CHRIST , this is ANTI CHRIST .
the inclusive mindset is coming from that spirit of anti christ . STICK to the original gospel my friend .
DONT HEED mathew . HE has greatly resisted these reminders too .