Is the Conscience Obeyed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some say we are to obey our conscience in all things.

Some things may sound good, but if it's not Scripture, then it's not so good, and can be destructive.

Scripture does not say: Thou shalt obey thy conscience. Not in any thing, much less in all things.

Scripture never even speaks of being guided by our conscience, which is more humanist ethics than doctrine of Christ.

The Galatians certainly were obeying their conscience with zeal, and falling from grace.

To obey something is to trust in something that commands obedience.

Obeying our conscience is leaning to our own understanding: without knowledge of the truth, we deceive ourselves and so obey a lie with sincere conscience.

The Galatians were believing and understanding as a matter of faith and conscience, that outward circumcision is necessary to have part in the body of Christ with the Jews.

The law of Christ is not written on our conscience, but in our heart and mind: a pure conscience is given by God to obey the truth of God, not to be obeyed as truth of God.

The truth of Scripture is, that we do not obey the conscience, which can be deceived, but rather the conscience obeys the truth: sincerity of conscience must be according to knowledge of the truth, that it may be pure in all things.

Purity of conscience is twofold: sincere conviction and knowledge of the truth.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Saul of Tarsus was obeying and going by his own conscience unto death: I don't seek someone sincerely obeying their ignorant conscience, much less want to follow them into a ditch.

Conscience alone without knowledge can be decieved, like faith alone is dead without works: neither should be trusted for salvation nor justification of God.