Is this statement true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Ie" coupled with "Sous" (the final part of Zeus) gives the Greek form of Iesous "the reconciling Zeus", now called Jesus in English."
More nonsense from the enemies of the Gospel. Looks like you specialize in confusing others.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have already explained this but, one of the worst explanations of how the translators got the word Jesus is that they ran it through other languages. It is a lie because there is no reason to run the name Yeshua through the language mills. Because it can be translated straight into English. The Greeks did not have a word for Yeshua and they did not have a word that meant "Yahweh is my salvation" so they used a Greek word that meant save or rescue...ie Iēsous....Iēsous cannot be translated to the English word Jesus because the word Jesus did not exist in the English language and they are not phonically close.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol...It had to come from somewhere!!!
Or it came from Middle English (ca. A.D. 1066) and then is derived from Old English and then is taken from Late Latin (A.D. 300-700) and then is taken from Greek and then is taken from Hebrew, 'Yeshua,' 'Yehoshua'. o_O
The article I posted above gives a clear explanation, and it seems the author knows what he’s talking about. All I know for sure is that when I use the name Jesus, I know and He knows who I’m talking about. I think the demons know too, for that matter!

Reactions: Marymog

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The article I posted above gives a clear explanation, and it seems the author knows what he’s talking about. All I know for sure is that when I use the name Jesus, I know and He knows who I’m talking about. I think the demons know too, for that matter!
What is done is done. A lot of people know the names Yahweh and Yeshua and a lot of people know that you are not going to see these names in the Bible. Most do not know why. It does not bother a lot of people that the actual names of God the Father and God the Son have been removed from the Bible. Does it hurt to pray in the name of Jesus...no...heck call it a nickname.

Personally, I believe there is power in the actual names of the God the Father and God the Son...On the other hand I am not going to pretend to know what effect it has in the grand scheme of things. Put again, I do not think that Satan would not like a book with God the Father's name and God the Son name covering the entire planet with millions and millions of copies. What effect did it have removing their names from the Bible?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already explained this but, one of the worst explanations of how the translators got the word Jesus is that they ran it through other languages. It is a lie because there is no reason to run the name Yeshua through the language mills. Because it can be translated straight into English. The Greeks did not have a word for Yeshua and they did not have a word that meant "Yahweh is my salvation" so they used a Greek word that meant save or rescue...ie Iēsous....Iēsous cannot be translated to the English word Jesus because the word Jesus did not exist in the English language and they are not phonically close.
What are your qualifications for declaring our English Bibles to be wrong?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is done is done. A lot of people know the names Yahweh and Yeshua and a lot of people know that you are not going to see these names in the Bible. Most do not know why. It does not bother a lot of people that the actual names of God the Father and God the Son have been removed from the Bible. Does it hurt to pray in the name of Jesus...no...heck call it a nickname.

Personally, I believe there is power in the actual names of the God the Father and God the Son...On the other hand I am not going to pretend to know what effect it has in the grand scheme of things. Put again, I do not think that Satan would not like a book with God the Father's name and God the Son name covering the entire planet with millions and millions of copies. What effect did it have removing their names from the Bible?
My favorite warfare song:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the translated English name of Yoshua?

It is not about the pronunciation but about the origin of the name. Jesus Christ is a pagan name, and according to the Old Testament the names of the pagans should not be spoken.

Jesus is the anglicized pronunciation of Jeshua I showed you from a Hebrew English dictionary portion. You need to show why they are wrong! Christ is from the Greek Christos which is from the Hebrew Meschiach (Messiah.

And we are not Israel living in the theocracy of the OLD TEstament which was governed by the 613 commands of Torah.

We are the New covenant people. If you wish to call Jesus in Hebrew then it is Jeshua bare Jusef.

But Jesus Christ is simply the english Jesus is Messiah!

YOU made an accusation now show from other than you saying so- that Jesus is actually pagan.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol I have already proven that Jesus does not equal Yeshua. lol
Is God's actual name important or not? lol
Is the e and h transposed on your keyboard?
Understand this, about three quarters of what I post is not for anybody here.
Its for people that care enough to check it out.
And the Chinese thing is so funny..you really do not have a clue.
Now when a China-man says tree in his language....it is something we never heard.
But when a China-man says Mississippi, he says Mississippi the best he can.
Now...you tell me why?

Well put me on ignore if you cant deal with my poor spelling of the word the.

But Jesus is simply the English pronunciation of Jeshua which is also Joshua but Jesus is actually Jesus!

Here are some scholarly sites which debunk your conspiracy theory:

http://www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/spl_ChristOrMessiah.htm

Is the Name "Jesus" Pagan? - TorahResource

Does the Name ‘Jesus’ Actually Mean, ‘Hail, Zeus’?

Does 'Jesus' really mean 'Hail, Zeus'?

Which debunks what appears to be the site you reference:

Is Jesus Zeus

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is amazing to me is how many wrongs things in just a few words!!!

So how is pronouncing Jesus name as correct as you seem to demand have anything to do with souls?

So you cannot read simple sentences and grasp the meaning....and you are telling me you are a teacher!!!

I have not demanded anything!!

And I explained that not knowing Christ's name does not prevent salvation!!!

You think God can't figure out who they are talking about?
I am hoping so, but if your wife and Kids called you George all the time, would it be irritating. The names of God the Father and God the Son are important. Show a little respect! Who would want their names removed from the scriptures?

I want people to get things right being a teacher, but you are really straining at gnats here.
God's name is not a gnat. And you are no teacher, you want to make people believe what you believe. Probably because it would help your have confidence in what you believe. I do not care if people believe me....this topic is easy to validate if you had a "gnats" worth of interest in Christianity and the truth.

Jesus is the anglecized form of Hi sname-like it or not.

Jesus was not a word or name until the 1500's, like it or not. It It is not a translation it is an invention of a name. Even the King James Version did not use the name Jesus in its early prints.

Unless you have some secret info that linguistic experts haven't known for centuries.

This is not a secret! And linguistic experts know this. People just do not care enough to look into their own religion. I have some very expensive linguistic books, they are for deep study. You do not need that for this. You can get the actual pronunciation of Hebrew words very easily if you cared. If you find yourself in Jerusalem sometime, ask them how to say the name of their city in Hebrew, you will learn that it starts with a Y. Look in the Strong's and see how few words it has that start with Y. That is because they changed all of the Y's to J's, because there is no such thing as a J in the biblical era.

It is not matter if it is true, it is a matter if you care enough.

You see what I mean. I have to break up every one of your sentences because you say so many wrong things. It is like homework.

You break up every one of my sentences with allegations.

It bothers me not that you do not consider me a teacher. You are not one of my pastors or Bible teachers who have declared me a teacher! Nor the hundreds who have learned under my discipling. Making assumptions based on your own personal opinions is quite a sin! But it seems that is of little import to you.

YOu are great at making ex-cathedra declarations, but are very short at citing evidence to back up your allegations

So you cannot read simple sentences and grasp the meaning....and you are telling me you are a teacher!!!

I have not demanded anything!!

And I explained that not knowing Christ's name does not prevent salvation!!!

Well according to sites where you got your info- People are calling on Zeus not Jesus so how can they be saved!

YOur big problem is that you cannot recognize that language changes over time.., Just like Hebrew changed to Yiddish before they resurrected the original Hebrew again!

Y becoming a J in English is nothing!

I am hoping so, but if your wife and Kids called you George all the time, would it be irritating. The names of God the Father and God the Son are important. Show a little respect! Who would want their names removed from the scriptures?

You are hoping so??? You huff and puff about how important it is that you know better than us and you can't be sure here? Maybe you better call teh Messiah Joshua then!

Jesus is derived from the Greek derivation of the Hebrew Yeshua . It is not some conspiracy for people who wish to follow Jesus to secretly praise Zeus all this time!

And you know what? Knowing the mercy and graciousness of God as well as His holiness and righteousness- If Jesus name was changed to bugs Bunny 50 centuries from now and that is what people came to know the name of the one who died at Calvary- I am sure he would accept them just the same as you who think you sit on a superior position than your brothers and sisters.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the translated English name of Yoshua?

It is not about the pronunciation but about the origin of the name. Jesus Christ is a pagan name, and according to the Old Testament the names of the pagans should not be spoken.

Well: Jesus (IPA: /ˈdʒiːzəs/) is a masculine given name derived from the name Iēsous (Greek: Ἰησοῦς), the Greek form of the Hebrew name Yeshua or Y'shua (Hebrew: ישוע‎)

Jesus (name) - Wikipedia

And Jesus Christ is not even a formal name. It is a name with a title. IEOSUS is the greek Spelling for y'shua which is in English Jesus. Christ is the English of Christos which is the equivalent of the Hebrew Mesciach or Messiah!

If you wish to go back to Hebrew that is your privilege. But do not become a Judiazer in the process. I think after all the nearly 2 millenia and especially since the 1500's when the J replaced the Y in English, god would have had enough faithful linguists to keep alive Y'shua in English (tranliterating from one language to another) if it was His Will!

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Well: Jesus (IPA: /ˈdʒiːzəs/) is a masculine given name derived from the name Iēsous (Greek: Ἰησοῦς), the Greek form of the Hebrew name Yeshua or Y'shua (Hebrew: ישוע‎)

Jesus (name) - Wikipedia

And Jesus Christ is not even a formal name. It is a name with a title. IEOSUS is the greek Spelling for y'shua which is in English Jesus. Christ is the English of Christos which is the equivalent of the Hebrew Mesciach or Messiah!

If you wish to go back to Hebrew that is your privilege. But do not become a Judiazer in the process. I think after all the nearly 2 millenia and especially since the 1500's when the J replaced the Y in English, god would have had enough faithful linguists to keep alive Y'shua in English (tranliterating from one language to another) if it was His Will!
Can't you just answer my question? What is the English translated name of Yeshua?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But Jesus is simply the English pronunciation of Jeshua which is also Joshua but Jesus is actually Jesus!

Here are some scholarly sites which debunk your conspiracy theory:

http://www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/spl_ChristOrMessiah.htm

Is the Name "Jesus" Pagan? - TorahResource

Does the Name ‘Jesus’ Actually Mean, ‘Hail, Zeus’?

Does 'Jesus' really mean 'Hail, Zeus'?

Which debunks what appears to be the site you reference:

Is Jesus Zeus

No I was just wondering about the keys.

Again and again and again…Jeshua is not in the Bible because there are no “J’s” in the Bible, Old or New Testament. And then of course the name Jesus is not in the Bible, and Jesus could not be a word until the letter “J” was added to the English alphabet…in the 1400’s and the first time the name actually appeared was in the 1600’s. The predecessor to the King James Version….the Geneva Bible used the Greek name for Yeshua and then the earlier prints of the King James Version also used the Greek name for Yeshua…. Iēsous It was still early in the 1600’s that they started using the name Jesus.

And the Zeus thing is just laughable!

I not saying I will never talk to you, but I am done talking to you about this.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You break up every one of my sentences with allegations.

It bothers me not that you do not consider me a teacher. You are not one of my pastors or Bible teachers who have declared me a teacher! Nor the hundreds who have learned under my discipling. Making assumptions based on your own personal opinions is quite a sin! But it seems that is of little import to you.

YOu are great at making ex-cathedra declarations, but are very short at citing evidence to back up your allegations

Well according to sites where you got your info- People are calling on Zeus not Jesus so how can they be saved!

YOur big problem is that you cannot recognize that language changes over time.., Just like Hebrew changed to Yiddish before they resurrected the original Hebrew again!

Y becoming a J in English is nothing!

You are hoping so??? You huff and puff about how important it is that you know better than us and you can't be sure here? Maybe you better call teh Messiah Joshua then!

Jesus is derived from the Greek derivation of the Hebrew Yeshua . It is not some conspiracy for people who wish to follow Jesus to secretly praise Zeus all this time!

And you know what? Knowing the mercy and graciousness of God as well as His holiness and righteousness- If Jesus name was changed to bugs Bunny 50 centuries from now and that is what people came to know the name of the one who died at Calvary- I am sure he would accept them just the same as you who think you sit on a superior position than your brothers and sisters.

Not talking to you about this anymore.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
though different from the Joshua the son of Nun.
הוֹשֻׁ֣עַ
yə-hō-wō-šu-a‘

which is different from Jeshua the Messiah:

Yeshua (ישוע‎, with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ‎ – yēšūă‘ in Hebrew) was a common alternative form of the name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ‎ ("Yehoshua" – Joshua) in later books of the Hebrew Bible and among Jews of the Second Temple period. The name corresponds to the Greek spelling Iesous (Ἰησοῦς), from which, through the Latin Iesus, comes the English spelling Jesus.[1][2]

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good!

When asked for proof you scurry away.

You tempt me to dice you up.
Get off your tail, put some effort in it, and find out for yourself.
If you like to believe lies in your religion, that is your choice.
You want to teach lies to innocent Christians...sad.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You tempt me to dice you up.
Get off your tail, put some effort in it, and find out for yourself.
If you like to believe lies in your religion, that is your choice.
You want to teach lies to innocent Christians...sad.

And yet you use a word made up by pagans! Interesting.

Once again you huff and puff, and when asked to support your allegations and hypotheses- just ad-hominems and silence.

You do not even have the honor in th is discussion to even attempt to rebut the proofs I gave for why you are wrong!

YOU have been shown the etymological history of the name Jesus. It just rubs your pride the wrong way because it is an accurate history of how th ename developed over time in different languages.

YOu are free to use the Hebrew pronunciation. But to chastise those who use the English derivation? That is legalism and arrogance on your part!