Is this statement true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys can believe what you want....that why it is called a belief but....
The letter "J" did not exist in any language until 1400 years after Christ.
The Greek and Latin names mean nothing because Christ's name was Hebrew and can be spelled in English, and it actually sounds like His name. Yeshua or Yahshua kinda like Ed and Edward.

Some believe that there is power in God's name.
Some believe that there is only one name that can be called upon for salvation.
It is an historical fact that "Jesus" was never a word or name until the 1500's, it never appeared in history before that.

Well when you can quote me a verse that shows Jesus will condemn a person tot he Lake of fire because they did not pronounce HIs name exacly right. Iwill start listening to you. But teh God of the Bible is a whole lot more merciful and generous than you are portraying Him here.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well once you are done straining out all teh gnats, just remember we englishspeakers have been calling HIm Jesus for that is how it translates out for us!

Afrikaans Jesus
Albanian Jezui
Arabic `Isà عيسى‎ (Islamic or classical arabic) / Yasū` يسوع‎ (Christian or latter Arabic)
Amharic ኢየሱስ
Aragonese Chesús
Aramaic/Syriac ܝܫܘܥ (Isho)
Arberesh Isuthi
Armenian Հիսուս (Eastern Armenian) Յիսուս (Western Armenian) (Hisus)
Azerbaijani İsa
Belarusian Ісус (Isus) (Orthodox) / Езус (Yezus) (Catholic)
Bengali যীশু (Jeeshu/Zeeshu) (Christian) 'ঈসা ('Eesa) (General)
Breton Jezuz
Bulgarian Исус (Isus)
Catalan Jesús
Chinese simplified Chinese: 耶稣; traditional Chinese: 耶穌; pinyin: Yēsū
Coptic Ⲓⲏⲥⲟⲩⲥ
Cornish Yesu
Croatian Isus
Czech Ježíš
Dutch Jezus
Estonian Jeesus
Filipino Jesús (Christian and secular) / Hesús or Hesukristo (religious)
Fijian Jisu
Finnish Jeesus
French Jésus
Galician Xesús
Garo Jisu
Georgian იესო (Ieso)
Ghanaian Yesu
Greek Ιησούς (Iisús modern Greek pronunciation)
Haitian Creole Jezi
Hausa Yesu
Hawaiian Jesu
Hebrew Yeshua/Y'shua יֵשׁוּעַ‎
Hindustani ईसा / عيسى (īsā)
Hmong Daw Yexus
Hungarian Jézus
Icelandic Jesús
Igbo Jisos
Indonesia Yesus (Christian) / Isa (Islamic)
Irish Íosa
Italian Gesù
Japanese イエス (Iesu)/イエズス (Iezusu)(Catholic)/ゼス(zesu) ゼズス(zezusu)(Kirishitan)イイスス(Iisusu)(Eastern Orthodox)
Jinghpaw Yesu
Kannada ಯೇಸು (Yesu)
Kazakh Иса (Isa)
Khasi Jisu
Khmer យេស៑ូវ (Yesu)

In all these languages.Jesus knows His name!
Valid point, what is in a name? Does the name of God the Father and God the Son matter? Should the names of God the Father and God the Son be in the Bible? If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you? This all involves beliefs and so then the sky is the limit for what people believe. Does it matter what we call God the Father and God the Son...Hey all in one...Right! You can call Christ George as far as I am concerned. But wouldn't be good to know the truth? It does not matter to me what you do, think, or believe. What matters to me is that I let the truth be known. Then if someone wants to pick it up from there and verity and dig deeper, I have set them on the right path.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well when you can quote me a verse that shows Jesus will condemn a person tot he Lake of fire because they did not pronounce HIs name exacly right. Iwill start listening to you. But teh God of the Bible is a whole lot more merciful and generous than you are portraying Him here.

Ya know, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
What we are talking about here is souls and eternity.....Many people understand Christianity like an apple...only skin deep...skim the surface. Is it important enough to dig deeper?....is a deeper understanding worth it? Does it matter to God if a person thinks it is important enough to take the time and effort to--try--to find the truth and a deeper understanding.

Does salvation count on it? I would think not, because the plan, the mission, the ministry of Christ and the Apostles were directed to a lot of people that could not read and had limited understanding. All they needed to know was believe in the messiah and repent and be baptized. God the Father's Son was crucified to save us....if His Son had to be crucified to get this done, then odds are good that the plan would have a high success rate.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya know, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
What we are talking about here is souls and eternity.....Many people understand Christianity like an apple...only skin deep...skim the surface. Is it important enough to dig deeper?....is a deeper understanding worth it? Does it matter to God if a person thinks it is important enough to take the time and effort to--try--to find the truth and a deeper understanding.

Does salvation count on it? I would think not, because the plan, the mission, the ministry of Christ and the Apostles were directed to a lot of people that could not read and had limited understanding. All they needed to know was believe in the messiah and repent and be baptized. God the Father's Son was crucified to save us....if His Son had to be crucified to get this done, then odds are good that the plan would have a high success rate.

So how is pronouncing Jesus name as correct as you seem to demand have anything to do with souls? You think God can't figure out who they are talking about? I want people to get things right being a teacher, but you are really straining at gnats here.

Jesus is the anglecized form of Hi sname-like it or not. Unless you have some secret info that linguistic experts haven't known for centuries.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Valid point, what is in a name? Does the name of God the Father and God the Son matter? Should the names of God the Father and God the Son be in the Bible? If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you? This all involves beliefs and so then the sky is the limit for what people believe. Does it matter what we call God the Father and God the Son...Hey all in one...Right! You can call Christ George as far as I am concerned. But wouldn't be good to know the truth? It does not matter to me what you do, think, or believe. What matters to me is that I let the truth be known. Then if someone wants to pick it up from there and verity and dig deeper, I have set them on the right path.

Well when we go from one language to teh next- pronunciations change. If you can't deal with that, then you shall be unhappy for a long long time!

If I was speaking Hebrew, then Yes Yeshua is what I would be Saying. In chinese it is something else. In English it is Jesus. Jesus knows all the languages.

Yitzak in Hebrew Is Isaac in English!

I do know th e truth! and a ssoon as I start speaking Hebrew as my main language, I will say Jesus name in proper Hebrew! But Jesus=Yeshua! If you don't believe it-prove it!

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Well once you are done straining out all teh gnats, just remember we englishspeakers have been calling HIm Jesus for that is how it translates out for us!

Afrikaans Jesus
Albanian Jezui
Arabic `Isà عيسى‎ (Islamic or classical arabic) / Yasū` يسوع‎ (Christian or latter Arabic)
Amharic ኢየሱስ
Aragonese Chesús
Aramaic/Syriac ܝܫܘܥ (Isho)
Arberesh Isuthi
Armenian Հիսուս (Eastern Armenian) Յիսուս (Western Armenian) (Hisus)
Azerbaijani İsa
Belarusian Ісус (Isus) (Orthodox) / Езус (Yezus) (Catholic)
Bengali যীশু (Jeeshu/Zeeshu) (Christian) 'ঈসা ('Eesa) (General)
Breton Jezuz
Bulgarian Исус (Isus)
Catalan Jesús
Chinese simplified Chinese: 耶稣; traditional Chinese: 耶穌; pinyin: Yēsū
Coptic Ⲓⲏⲥⲟⲩⲥ
Cornish Yesu
Croatian Isus
Czech Ježíš
Dutch Jezus
Estonian Jeesus
Filipino Jesús (Christian and secular) / Hesús or Hesukristo (religious)
Fijian Jisu
Finnish Jeesus
French Jésus
Galician Xesús
Garo Jisu
Georgian იესო (Ieso)
Ghanaian Yesu
Greek Ιησούς (Iisús modern Greek pronunciation)
Haitian Creole Jezi
Hausa Yesu
Hawaiian Jesu
Hebrew Yeshua/Y'shua יֵשׁוּעַ‎
Hindustani ईसा / عيسى (īsā)
Hmong Daw Yexus
Hungarian Jézus
Icelandic Jesús
Igbo Jisos
Indonesia Yesus (Christian) / Isa (Islamic)
Irish Íosa
Italian Gesù
Japanese イエス (Iesu)/イエズス (Iezusu)(Catholic)/ゼス(zesu) ゼズス(zezusu)(Kirishitan)イイスス(Iisusu)(Eastern Orthodox)
Jinghpaw Yesu
Kannada ಯೇಸು (Yesu)
Kazakh Иса (Isa)
Khasi Jisu
Khmer យេស៑ូវ (Yesu)

In all these languages.Jesus knows His name!
What is the translated English name of Yoshua?
It is not about the pronunciation but about the origin of the name. Jesus Christ is a pagan name, and according to the Old Testament the names of the pagans should not be spoken.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh gee, another self professed Greek expert who knows more than those who translated our English Bibles. I wonder what credentials he/she has.

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Oh gee, another self professed Greek expert who knows more than those who translated our English Bibles. I wonder what credentials he/she has.
Are you talking about me or about George Campbell?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well when we go from one language to teh next- pronunciations change. If you can't deal with that, then you shall be unhappy for a long long time!

If I was speaking Hebrew, then Yes Yeshua is what I would be Saying. In chinese it is something else. In English it is Jesus. Jesus knows all the languages.

Yitzak in Hebrew Is Isaac in English!

I do know th e truth! and a ssoon as I start speaking Hebrew as my main language, I will say Jesus name in proper Hebrew! But Jesus=Yeshua! If you don't believe it-prove it!
lol I have already proven that Jesus does not equal Yeshua. lol
Is God's actual name important or not? lol
Is the e and h transposed on your keyboard?
Understand this, about three quarters of what I post is not for anybody here.
Its for people that care enough to check it out.
And the Chinese thing is so funny..you really do not have a clue.
Now when a China-man says tree in his language....it is something we never heard.
But when a China-man says Mississippi, he says Mississippi the best he can.
Now...you tell me why?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol I have already proven that Jesus does not equal Yeshua. lol
Is God's actual name important or not? lol
Is the e and h transposed on your keyboard?
Understand this, about three quarters of what I post is not for anybody here.
Its for people that care enough to check it out.
And the Chinese thing is so funny..you really do not have a clue.
Now when a China-man says tree in his language....it is something we never heard.
But when a China-man says Mississippi, he says Mississippi the best he can.
Now...you tell me why?
Jesus isn't Yeshua? Just when you think you've heard it all.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how is pronouncing Jesus name as correct as you seem to demand have anything to do with souls? You think God can't figure out who they are talking about? I want people to get things right being a teacher, but you are really straining at gnats here.

Jesus is the anglecized form of Hi sname-like it or not. Unless you have some secret info that linguistic experts haven't known for centuries.
What is amazing to me is how many wrongs things in just a few words!!!

So how is pronouncing Jesus name as correct as you seem to demand have anything to do with souls?

So you cannot read simple sentences and grasp the meaning....and you are telling me you are a teacher!!!

I have not demanded anything!!

And I explained that not knowing Christ's name does not prevent salvation!!!

You think God can't figure out who they are talking about?
I am hoping so, but if your wife and Kids called you George all the time, would it be irritating. The names of God the Father and God the Son are important. Show a little respect! Who would want their names removed from the scriptures?

I want people to get things right being a teacher, but you are really straining at gnats here.
God's name is not a gnat. And you are no teacher, you want to make people believe what you believe. Probably because it would help your have confidence in what you believe. I do not care if people believe me....this topic is easy to validate if you had a "gnats" worth of interest in Christianity and the truth.

Jesus is the anglecized form of Hi sname-like it or not.

Jesus was not a word or name until the 1500's, like it or not. It It is not a translation it is an invention of a name. Even the King James Version did not use the name Jesus in its early prints.

Unless you have some secret info that linguistic experts haven't known for centuries.

This is not a secret! And linguistic experts know this. People just do not care enough to look into their own religion. I have some very expensive linguistic books, they are for deep study. You do not need that for this. You can get the actual pronunciation of Hebrew words very easily if you cared. If you find yourself in Jerusalem sometime, ask them how to say the name of their city in Hebrew, you will learn that it starts with a Y. Look in the Strong's and see how few words it has that start with Y. That is because they changed all of the Y's to J's, because there is no such thing as a J in the biblical era.

It is not matter if it is true, it is a matter if you care enough.

You see what I mean. I have to break up every one of your sentences because you say so many wrong things. It is like homework.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Greek practice of changing personal names, of removing the abbreviated forms of rival deities by exchanging them with the abbreviated forms of their main god Zeus, can already be seen in the changes in the Hebrew prophets. The Greek approach was simple. They simply replaced those words that referred to the Hebrew Almighty with names or letters that referred to their supreme deity - Zeus. The name Jesus was thus formed from two words: "Ie" and "Sous". Now there was a God in the Trinity of Babylon whose name was "Ie" (God of Salvation). Zeus was both the supreme god and the Greek saviour. "Ie" coupled with "Sous" (the final part of Zeus) gives the Greek form of Iesous "the reconciling Zeus", now called Jesus in English."
George Campbell, The four Gospels, Translated from the Greek with Preliminary Dissertations, and Notes Critical and Explanatory, Bd. 1, London 1834, S. 166
Jesus is derived from Middle English (ca. A.D. 1066) and then is derived from Old English and then is taken from Late Latin (A.D. 300-700) and then is taken from Greek and then is taken from Hebrew, 'Yeshua,' 'Yehoshua'. the 4th century, scribes who no longer knew or cared about the Nazarene use of the Name expanded the devices into normal Greek. This then got translated into Late Latin as 'Iesu,' and then into Old English as 'Jesus,' but the 'J' was still pronounced like the German 'J,' i.e. it had a 'Y' sound as 'J' still has in German to this day. The terminal 's' owes its existence to the final 's' of the nominative case in Greek. The removal of the 'sh' sound from the second syllable of Yeshua is due to the fact that Greek does not have an 'sh' sound. The waw sound 'oo' in the second syllable was impacted by the French Normans who invaded England in 1066 c.e. So also the 'J' sound, which after 1066, began to be hardened to the French 'J' which is the origin of the Modern English 'J'. The end result is a word 'Jesus' which cannot be recognized as 'Yeshua.'

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is derived from Middle English (ca. A.D. 1066) and then is derived from Old English and then is taken from Late Latin (A.D. 300-700) and then is taken from Greek and then is taken from Hebrew, 'Yeshua,' 'Yehoshua'. the 4th century, scribes who no longer knew or cared about the Nazarene use of the Name expanded the devices into normal Greek. This then got translated into Late Latin as 'Iesu,' and then into Old English as 'Jesus,' but the 'J' was still pronounced like the German 'J,' i.e. it had a 'Y' sound as 'J' still has in German to this day. The terminal 's' owes its existence to the final 's' of the nominative case in Greek. The removal of the 'sh' sound from the second syllable of Yeshua is due to the fact that Greek does not have an 'sh' sound. The waw sound 'oo' in the second syllable was impacted by the French Normans who invaded England in 1066 c.e. So also the 'J' sound, which after 1066, began to be hardened to the French 'J' which is the origin of the Modern English 'J'. The end result is a word 'Jesus' which cannot be recognized as 'Yeshua.'

Modern English Jesus derives from Early Middle English Iesu (attested from the 12th century). The name participated in the Great Vowel Shift in late Middle English (15th century).

Iesu is not Jesus. Like I said bibles did not use the word Jesus until the 1500's
If it was used in the 1400's I would need an example in writing. Not that it would completely surprise me because the letter J did come out in the 1400's
Like I said the word Jesus came from nowhere.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE CODEX SINATICUS (Σιναϊτικός Κώδικας, 'the Sinai Book') is said to be the earliest complete codex (book) of the Christian Bible, though of course there are thousands of earlier extant manuscipt fragments, some of which date as early as the 1st century AD

Thanks for posting this, sister! I've favored Sinaticus for several years, though I wasn't aware it was the earliest complete codex of scripture : )

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said the word Jesus came from nowhere.
Lol...It had to come from somewhere!!!
Or it came from Middle English (ca. A.D. 1066) and then is derived from Old English and then is taken from Late Latin (A.D. 300-700) and then is taken from Greek and then is taken from Hebrew, 'Yeshua,' 'Yehoshua'. o_O

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that the error here is to ascribe a Greek pagan source to the name Iesous, when it was used by the ancient Hebrews.

"Ie" coupled with "Sous" (the final part of Zeus)

It's a fallacy. The origin of the name Zeus is itself pagan, arising from the old Indo-European god Dyeus. Both are predated by the God of creation by thousands of years, who was one of only two present in the garden when it was just אֱלֹהִים (Elohim) and the serpent, and the serpent was not being worshipped yet. In reality, Zeus was a manifestation of the evil god of this world, not the Son of the True and Living God of creation.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol...It had to come from somewhere!!!
Or it came from Middle English (ca. A.D. 1066) and then is derived from Old English and then is taken from Late Latin (A.D. 300-700) and then is taken from Greek and then is taken from Hebrew, 'Yeshua,' 'Yehoshua'. o_O

Keep digging, the explanations vary. Best I can tell you that His mother could have used Yeshua or Yehoshua when she called him to dinner. But the only way she could have heard the name Jesus is if someone sneezed!

Some people call it the vowel shift....I call it the J slam, because it affected nearly every word in the OT and NT that started with a "Y." You can check this out yourself. Names of person and places...Joshua, Job, Jeremiah, Joseph, Jame, John. All these names are pronounced with a Y, but it can be pronounced and spelled in English. So why not. The most significant thing that the J slam accomplished was the removal of God the Father's and God the Son's name from the OT and NT. We can get into the Tetragrammaton, and that is a different story, in most cases the Tetragrammaaton was removed completely and replaced with the words God or Lord.

This was systematic and it took a lot of effort, the question is what self-respecting Jew or Christian would want to remove God the Father's name and God the Son's name from the Bible. It cannot be one person, because it occurs over a few millenniums. It is not one event.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep digging, the explanations vary. Best I can tell you that His mother could have used Yeshua or Yehoshua when she called him to dinner. But the only way she could have heard the name Jesus is if someone sneezed!

Some people call it the vowel shift....I call it the J slam, because it affected nearly every word in the OT and NT that started with a "Y." You can check this out yourself. Names of person and places...Joshua, Job, Jeremiah, Joseph, Jame, John. All these names are pronounced with a Y, but it can be pronounced and spelled in English. So why not. The most significant thing that the J slam accomplished was the removal of God the Father's and God the Son's name from the OT and NT. We can get into the Tetragrammaton, and that is a different story, in most cases the Tetragrammaaton was removed completely and replaced with the word God or Lord.

This was systematic and it took a lot of effort, the question is what self-respecting Jew or Christian would want to remove God the Father's name and God the Son's name from the Bible. It cannot be one person, because it occurs over a few millenniums. It is not one event.
I agree....the explanations vary!!!