Is your Faith in the Bible or is it in God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without a doubt the most important question you will ever be asked in your Christian Life...

Is your faith in the Bible or is it in God?

If you have to use the Bible to validate your faith, then your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you Believe that the Bible supports a Triune God, your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you believe Jesus was God Himself, your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you believe that God will not talk to you, then your faith is in the Bible and not God.

When you post comments and quote them, please post the entire post and not just bits and pieces.
I know hardly any of you will do that because cherry picking is your way of hiding from the truth...
You can't separate God from the Bible.
Faith comes by the WORD.
It is God's supernatural message system to us. We couldn't know God otherwise. As many civilizations worshipped false gods as with Greek gods and Roman gods or the American Indians Eagle in the sky.
So which god do you worship? If you give me any description that looks like the God of the Bible, then you lost your own argument.
So go ahead. You can't use scriptures to describe God ... whatcha got?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You come out strong with assumptions of how members will respond.
It takes faith to accept the gospel of salvation...that message comes from scriptures in the Bible.
The scrolls that were translated into English that gave us the KJV Bible were all written documents of true events. Jesus taught from the scrolls because there wasn't a Bible back then.
A lot of scriptures in the OT are quoted in the NT by Jesus and by the apostles.
The Bible in its physical composition without any writing is nothing that a man should worship. But when the scrolls are copied onto it the whole book becomes the most important spiritual guide to knowing God and His Will that we could ever be in possession of.
Before the KJV or any printed Bible the scrolls were kept in a vault in the Vatican. No church member had access to those scrolls at that time.
The priest would open a scroll and read it to the congregation then roll it back up and return it to the library.
You're putting too much emphasis on what material the Bible is made of rather than what is written on the pages of the Bible.
Faith Comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
@Heart2Soul Great quote from Romans 10.17 there........"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the OP... it is "bait". The premise is that your faith is in the Bible or it is in God. That is a false dichotomy.

The Bible is the written word of God. I don't know a single person who worships the Bible or prays to the Bible. However, one can have faith that it is God's message to people. His own words, spoken through the Bible authors.

God is the author of the Bible. He was, is, and always will be God, and He had His words delivered to us in written form. Our faith is obviously in Him.

Reactions: BarneyFife

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine a hypothetical person/society that has no concept of language, neither written nor spoken. How would God express himself towards such people?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine a hypothetical person/society that has no concept of language, neither written nor spoken. How would God express himself towards such people?

That certainly is hypothetical! Every society communicates in some fashion: written, spoken, gestures, etc. Even animals comunicate via "language".

God however, has another method that is uniquely His own: by His Spirit.

John 16:13, "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come."

Ephesians 3:4-5, "When reading this, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ (which was not disclosed to people in former generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit)."

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That certainly is hypothetical! Every society communicates in some fashion: written, spoken, gestures, etc. Even animals comunicate via "language".

True. At its core, language is communication in any form. It need not be spoken. However, modern language is spoken and we have come to think of spoken language as simply language.

I write this because it came to me recently that God cannot be accessed via thought alone. Thinking and words just aren't enough. As long as we try to think our way to God, we'll miss the mark. At some point we need to let go of our words and embrace our feelings, not that we don't already do this to varying degrees.

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I write this because it came to me recently that God cannot be accessed via thought alone.

What got me on this train of thought was the realization that bronze and iron age Israel was not the same as 21st century information age peoples. We place much stock in thinking. We consider ourselves rational and we make the mistake of thinking this is universal when it is not.

Just something to ponder.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hypothetical is correct! There has never been a person or society that has no concept of language! Your question is moot.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What got me on this train of thought was the realization that bronze and iron age Israel was not the same as 21st century information age peoples. We place much stock in thinking. We consider ourselves rational and we make the mistake of thinking this is universal when it is not.

Just something to ponder.

Are you saying that irrationality exists in certain cultures? Every culture has its systems of thought and knowledge.

You are correct when you write that bronze and iron age Israel was not the same as 21st century information age peoples. They produced the Old Testament, we did not.

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that irrationality exists in certain cultures? Every culture has its systems of thought and knowledge.

I'm saying that bronze age peoples had a different sense of rationality. For example, bronze age peoples may attribute a storm to the anger of a god or gods whereas modern peoples attribute a storm to neutral weather patterns. Bronze age peoples may attribute a sickness to a curse from a demon or other evil spirit whereas modern peoples attribute sickness to bacteria or viruses. This means that two people, bronze age and modern, can see the same thing but interpret it in opposite ways. As regards the Bible, if a modern person could go back in time, so to speak, and witness the events described would we continue to see them the same way they are written in scripture or would our modern understanding give us a different point of view? Obviously I don't have the answer but I think it's worth pondering the question.

Philologos

Jul 19, 2022
Jacksonville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without a doubt the most important question you will ever be asked in your Christian Life...

Is your faith in the Bible or is it in God?

If you have to use the Bible to validate your faith, then your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you Believe that the Bible supports a Triune God, your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you believe Jesus was God Himself, your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you believe that God will not talk to you, then your faith is in the Bible and not God.

When you post comments and quote them, please post the entire post and not just bits and pieces.
I know hardly any of you will do that because cherry picking is your way of hiding from the truth...

Good question. It really made me stop and think. This is what I came up with…

My faith is in the Word of God; whether that be Christ Himself or His Written Word.
if neither is interpreted to me by men, they are one and the same.
If either is interpreted to me by men, it is no longer the Word of God, it is dogma and idolatry.

Reactions: Jim B

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good question. It really made me stop and think. This is what I came up with…

My faith is in the Word of God; whether that be Christ Himself or His Written Word.
if neither is interpreted to me by men, they are one and the same.
If either is interpreted to me by men, it is no longer the Word of God, it is dogma and idolatry.

Philologos,

Is it possible for you to read the Word of God without interpretation of it?

Oz

Reactions: APAK
Status
Not open for further replies.