Is your Faith in the Bible or is it in God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wrangler , when you come to a point in the faith where you can no longer sit and read the Bible and just listen to it’s simple instructions without over thinking things, something(s) has taken you off the good path. Examine what caused this to happen and get rid of that thing(s).

There are multitudes of “trees of knowledge” out there (study “tools”) that are tempting and desirable to make one wise, but what ends up happening by over studying the simplicity of scripture is:

“…neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?” (Ecclesiastes 7:16)

Reactions: BarneyFife

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you prefer the narrowest possible interpretation of what this commandment prohibits

The narrowest is correct.

“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The narrowest is correct.

“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14)

Don’t you realize your error? The narrowest interpretation of a prohibition = wide and broad gate leading to destruction.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t you love fighting and bickering?

It’s a waste of time.

Sometimes people don’t change.

Only God can truly change and individual. No one really converts anyone but God by the participation of the individual.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend, you are the one complicating it.

Really?

I have several Bible translations. CEV, NLT, I have read cover to cover. NRSV and CJB, I’m 80% done in devotional reading. The VOICE and ESV, I read as the Spirit leads me.

All these different version don’t complicate the matter for you? How many different ways do you need to be told to cease from evil and learn to do well? How many different ways can the word be translated before it gets polluted?

A man with many translations is not proficient and expert in any of them.

I have been reading without ceasing ONE translation for many years and can search the scriptures with ease and proficiency with just a few key words in any Bible passage that the Holy Spirit brings to my mind when attacking heresies.

If had been reading multiple Bible versions I’d likely be less proficient in this area.

And those versions are faulty, infected with modem, faithless, critical thinking.

But I guess that stuff is appealing to you.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really?

All these different version don’t complicate the matter for you? How many different ways do you need to be told to cease from evil and learn to do well? How many different ways can the word be translated before it gets polluted?

A man with many translations is not proficient and expert in any of them.

I have been reading without ceasing ONE translation for many years and can search the scriptures with ease and proficiency with just a few key words in any Bible passage that the Holy Spirit brings to my mind when attacking heresies.

If had been reading multiple Bible versions I’d likely be less proficient in this area.

And those versions are faulty, infected with modem, faithless, critical thinking.

But I guess that stuff is appealing to you.

Clearly you should be reading a different translation! The version that you're reading is faulty, infected with old, faithless thinking, but I guess that stuff is appealing to you, even if it leads you into all kinds of error.

You think you understand Scripture, but you're confused!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t you love fighting and bickering?

No, I don’t like it.

Neither did Jeremiah:

“O LORD… I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me. For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.” (Jeremiah 20:7-8)

Reactions: ChristisGod

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly you should be reading a different translation! The version that you're reading is faulty, infected with old, faithless thinking, but I guess that stuff is appealing to you, even if it leads you into all kinds of error.

You think you understand Scripture, but you're confused!

Hi @Jim B

How are you?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Amen, thank you.

Regarding spiritual breathing...maybe you were quoting someone else and didn't notice that part of it..? It's in your post #676 on page 34 of this thread, here is the part near the end of your post that mentioned spiritual breathing...crossed my mind whether it might have something to do with kabbalah actually:

CAN ANYTHING KEEP US FROM HEARING GOD?
Wrong attitudes, resentment, or unconfessed sins can create distance in our relationship with God. When this happens, confession and repentance will bring us back into a close relationship where we can hear from God again. Spiritual breathing is an excellent practice that will help keep the lines of communication open.

Guess you have a "hotline" to the Father, bypassing the Christ and the Holy Spirit.
J."
Very astute Lizbeth
I will come back to you tomorrow, late here.
Shalom LaCheim
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Amen, thank you.

Regarding spiritual breathing...maybe you were quoting someone else and didn't notice that part of it..? It's in your post #676 on page 34 of this thread, here is the part near the end of your post that mentioned spiritual breathing...crossed my mind whether it might have something to do with kabbalah actually:

CAN ANYTHING KEEP US FROM HEARING GOD?
Wrong attitudes, resentment, or unconfessed sins can create distance in our relationship with God. When this happens, confession and repentance will bring us back into a close relationship where we can hear from God again. Spiritual breathing is an excellent practice that will help keep the lines of communication open.

Guess you have a "hotline" to the Father, bypassing the Christ and the Holy Spirit.
J."
How Does God Speak to Us? Six Ways He Speaks
I quoted from this site

As to spiritual breathing..

The Spirit-Filled Life

Kabballah is nothing short of Jewish mysticism, including the Halakah, Midrash, Mishnah etc.

Enjoy.
J.

Reactions: Lizbeth

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup I figured you lied when you said you could lol...
Funny... your reply doesn't match the statement. Again, I don't know what the "it" is you are referring to.

Saying I am a liar about something I am unaware of. That's amusing! Don't you have a windmill to tilt?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did not teach anyone from the Bible he read the Prophecy only... Good try though...
LOL!!!

Matthew 4:4 KJV
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 4:7 KJV
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Matthew 4:10 KJV
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Here is three times Jesus schooled Satan with the Bible! They weren't prophesies either, and the Devil left. But you still don't see? Even Satan saw.. But you don't?

Funny!

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL!!!

Matthew 4:4 KJV
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 4:7 KJV
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Matthew 4:10 KJV
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Here is three times Jesus schooled Satan with the Bible! They weren't prophesies either, and the Devil left. But you still don't see? Even Satan saw.. But you don't?

Funny!
I don't think TF can reply to you anymore FHII. I believe that his fingers have been separated from his keyboard, 'cut off' since this morning I presume for offending folks like you, I reckon.

He was so dangerous and divisive, that maybe, he might have caused a few folks here to actually think about what they really have faith in, their Creator and his Spirit, or their religious aspects and dogma infused into their version of scripture -a tainted view and understanding of scripture!

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think TF can reply to you anymore FHII. I believe that his fingers have been separated from his keyboard, 'cut off' since this morning I presume for offending folks like you, I reckon.

He was so dangerous and divisive, that maybe, he might have caused a few folks here to actually think about what they really have faith in, their Creator and his Spirit, or their religious aspects and dogma infused into their version of scripture -a tainted view and understanding of scripture!
Interesting observation, APAK.

He doesn't offend me. When you have Truth (and I am not saying I have all truth, but that spirit is in me), you are not going to be offended. Psalms 119:165.

He is dangerous and divisive, but I think he underestimates people here. I disagree with so many, but one thing I cannot say is that they are not informed. I may say they are misinformed (with love), but I can't deny that folks here read the Bible and know what it says.

This fella has a serious problem. He has been led by a delusion. He believes it. He is at least sincere. He has left many bread crumbs so its easy to see his problem. I am almost sure of it, but not quite yet. Heck, I am pretty sure if I read every post of this long, yet young thread, I could produce evidence.

For now, let me just say that the Bible is the Word of God. I state my case on that and any man or spirit who says otherwise is false and not of God. Yes, God can talk to you directly (it's a lot rarer Tham people believe), but when he does he is not going to contradict the Bible or cause you not to follow it.

God said we can try the spirits, try Apostles and prophets, and God even said we can try him. But God never said we can try his Word.

Yeah, that is a bit of a curiosity. God did say we could try him but not his word, but he is the word. I get the confusion. I will explain it another time.

But in any sense, this fella... my goodness! I hope no one is falling for him.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting observation, APAK.

He doesn't offend me. When you have Truth (and I am not saying I have all truth, but that spirit is in me), you are not going to be offended. Psalms 119:165.

He is dangerous and divisive, but I think he underestimates people here. I disagree with so many, but one thing I cannot say is that they are not informed. I may say they are misinformed (with love), but I can't deny that folks here read the Bible and know what it says.

This fella has a serious problem. He has been led by a delusion. He believes it. He is at least sincere. He has left many bread crumbs so its easy to see his problem. I am almost sure of it, but not quite yet. Heck, I am pretty sure if I read every post of this long, yet young thread, I could produce evidence.

For now, let me just say that the Bible is the Word of God. I state my case on that and any man or spirit who says otherwise is false and not of God. Yes, God can talk to you directly (it's a lot rarer Tham people believe), but when he does he is not going to contradict the Bible or cause you not to follow it.

God said we can try the spirits, try Apostles and prophets, and God even said we can try him. But God never said we can try his Word.

Yeah, that is a bit of a curiosity. God did say we could try him but not his word, but he is the word. I get the confusion. I will explain it another time.

But in any sense, this fella... my goodness! I hope no one is falling for him.
Peace be with you FHII.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For me I would need to know what the OP is specifically addressing, what the history behind it is. I believe I've seen people idolizing the bible in a way, in the past, but can't recall the specific incidences right now. I think it was already mentioned how the Pharisees and religious leaders of Jesus' day thought that in the scriptures they would have eternal life, but wouldn't come to Jesus Himself to be saved. Well that alone is a kind of idolatry. In Rabbinic Judaism the Torah scroll is paraded around and people reach out to touch it and kiss it. Well, I sometimes kiss my bible out of love for God when He is blessing and speaking to me out of it. I think maybe revering the bible apart from the Speaker and Author of it could sometimes be taken to be idolatry, and maybe that is the point the OP wants to make. Just my two cents.

Reactions: ScottA and APAK

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without a doubt the most important question you will ever be asked in your Christian Life...

Is your faith in the Bible or is it in God?

If you have to use the Bible to validate your faith, then your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you Believe that the Bible supports a Triune God, your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you believe Jesus was God Himself, your faith is in the Bible and not in God.
If you believe that God will not talk to you, then your faith is in the Bible and not God.

When you post comments and quote them, please post the entire post and not just bits and pieces.
I know hardly any of you will do that because cherry picking is your way of hiding from the truth...

Seems rather antagonistic. You appear to be generally challenging and criticizing. Hope you don't expect too much positive feedback with such an attitude. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.