It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Jews, who rejected the whole NT, didn't have the authority to tell Christians what books belong in the Bible, and Martin Luther didn't have the authority to eject 7 books. No one ever claimed the early church fathers were inspired, you pulled that one out of your ear. If you like your skinny Bible, fine, but don't tell Catholics we are wrong for having the same consistent canon since the 4th century. What books will you guys throw out next? And how many times do you have to be corrected on your false definition of Tradition? 50? 100? Without Tradition you have no Bible. Get it?

kepha,

You are being pedantic. I was referring to the RCC Tradition. I agree that without oral tradition we would not have anything in writing that became the Bible. However, oral tradition does not equal Roman Catholic tradition.

I don't have a false doctrine of tradition. My doctrine comes from Scripture that is grammatically, historically and culturally interpreted in context.

There are only 15 books ejected (they are in my copy of the RSV Apocrypha) that are Deuterocanonical and do not belong in the canon of Scripture.

You say, 'don't tell Catholics we are wrong for having the same consistent canon since the 4th century'. The Jews has their canon for longer than that and they did not include the Apocrypha. Does that make the Jews wrong and the Catholics right? Your reasoning is not consistent.

See: Should Catholic tradition have equal or greater authority than the Bible?

Oz

Reactions: Abiding Grace

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
kepha,

You are being pedantic. I was referring to the RCC Tradition. I agree that without oral tradition we would not have anything in writing that became the Bible. However, oral tradition does not equal Roman Catholic tradition.
WRONG

I don't have a false doctrine of tradition. My doctrine comes from Scripture that is grammatically, historically and culturally interpreted in context.
WRONG. You have a stubborn false perception of Catholic Sacred Tradition, as shown by your anti-Catholic link below (known to cause brain damage). Without Catholic Sacred Tradition, we would have no Bible. The Authority of Scripture is a Tradition. The Anointing of the Sick is a Tradition, a sacrament, and found in James 5. The 3 fold episcopate (deacon, priest, bishop) is a Tradition found in scripture. Traditions are passed down from the Apostles either orally or in writing without changing the essence of the teaching. That would be impossible. Scripture and Tradition complement each other. Just because one mode of transmitting the word of God is different from the other does not mean the other mode of transmission is inferior.

There are only 15 books ejected (they are in my copy of the RSV Apocrypha) that are Deuterocanonical and do not belong in the canon of Scripture.
WRONG. 7 Deuterocanonical books were ejected from the canon as inspired, based on one mans' opinions. The other 8 Apocryphal books you mention were never in the canon in the first place.
15th century: Bible gets abridged.
397 AD canon finalize at the Council of Carthage
90 AD Jewish school of Jamnia (not a council) Hebrew scholar snobs who didn't like anything Greek.

Furthermore, the BEREANS were GREEK Pharisees who "searched" the GREEK Septuagint which included the GREEK Deuterocanonicals. They had been doing this 200 years before Christ.

You say, 'don't tell Catholics we are wrong for having the same consistent canon since the 4th century'. The Jews has their canon for longer than that and they did not include the Apocrypha.
WRONG. The Jews had no fixed canon until the 1st century. (school of Jamnia, 95 AD) They did not include the GREEK Septuagint despite Christians who were already using them as Scripture.
Does that make the Jews wrong and the Catholics right? Your reasoning is not consistent.
The same Jews rejected the entire New Testament. That makes them wrong. What was the other half of your question?
gotquestions.ook publishes lies about Catholic teaching. Next time use a source that doesn't use slander as a marketing tool.
If you were writing a paper on Black History, would you go the Ku Klux Klan for information?

divinerev.jpg
Bible, Tradition, Canon, & "Sola Scriptura" (Index Page)

www.catholic.com put a topic in the search

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marymog

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does Jesus build junk?
The Bible repeatedly teaches that the Church is indefectible; therefore, the hypothetical of rejecting the (one true, historic) Church, as supposedly going against the Bible, is impossible according to the Bible. It is not a situation that would ever come up, because of God’s promised protection. Not only are you going going against the Bible, you are claiming Jesus lied when He promised He would never leave us, no evidence the gates of Hades prevailed, just false assertions, scriptural denials and phony histories.
Hey Kepha I do believe you are getting it, you are so correct, yes His just is perfect its mans churches, ie yours and all teh others that are not His that are corrupt and faulty, See waht happesn when you listen.

You might get it yet.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
divinerev.jpg

How did Jesus put it,

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

You left Him out. the Holy Spirit that is

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

ph_4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

But then if you are not abidng in Him well you loose out. Mens doctrines do not replace Gods.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
divinerev.jpg

How did Jesus put it,

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

You left Him out. the Holy Spirit that is
He is mentioned in the diagram under "Sacred Tradition".

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

ph_4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

But then if you are not abidng in Him well you loose out. Mens doctrines do not replace Gods.
God does not drop doctrines from the sky. He guides "men" to formulate them like He used "men" to put the Bible together, like he guided "men" to defend the Trinity against heretics. The biblical rule of faith is explained in the diagram, there is no such thing as "men's doctrines" apart from that. There are no "traditions of men" in there either, that is a false Protestant mantra.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God does not drop doctrines from the sky. He guides "men" to formulate them like He used "men" to put the Bible together, like he guided "men" to defend the Trinity against heretics. The biblical rule of faith is explained in the diagram, there is no such thing as "men's doctrines" apart from that. There are no "traditions of men" in there either, that is a false Protestant mantra.
Yes Kepha we know you have a thing against the protestants. It was not God that gave your church its doctrines this bit,

Mar_7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

When a churches doctrines oppses that of God than it is "aanti Christ", because it oposses and repaces His doctrines

Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

God never gave any man permissin to buld any churches because simple we screwed it up over and over and over, but some prefer there church to teh one that Jesus has built.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes Kepha we know you have a thing against the protestants. It was not God that gave your church its doctrines this bit,

Mar_7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
It says"your tradition", the ones they made up to escape responsibility to their parents. There are good Traditions from the Apostles, and bad traditions we are to avoid. You think this verse and Col. 2:22 means that all traditions are bad. This attitude of yours is unbiblical. Without (good) Tradition you wouldn't have a Bible in the first place.

If the authors of the New Testament believed in Sola Scriptura, why did they sometimes draw on oral Tradition as authoritative and as God's Word (Matt 2:23; 23:2; 1 Cor 10:4; 1 Pet 3:19; Jude 9, 14, 15)?

When a churches doctrines oppses that of God than it is "aanti Christ", because it oposses and repaces His doctrines
It is IMPOSSIBLE for the Catholic Church to "oppose and replace" what she received from Jesus and the Apostles. It's never happened and never will.
Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
God never gave any man permissin to buld any churches because simple we screwed it up over and over and over, but some prefer there church to teh one that Jesus has built.
Protestants don’t have enough faith to believe that God could preserve an infallible Church, even though they can muster up even more faith than that, which is required to believe in an infallible Bible written by a bunch of sinners and hypocrites.

We simply have more faith than you guys do. It’s a supernatural gift. We believe that the authoritative Church is also a key part of God’s plan to save the souls of men. We follow the model of the Jerusalem Council, whereas you guys reject that or ignore it, because it doesn’t fit in with the man-made tradition of Protestantism and a supposedly non-infallible Church.

What is straying from God’s word is the very notion of denominationalism, which is always considered an outrage in the NT; the rejection of apostolic succession, and of, e.g., bishops (plainly present in the NT), or belief in a non-literal Eucharist, or a baptism that doesn’t regenerate, or sola Scriptura or faith alone (separation of justification and sanctification): all the host of unbiblical teachings that are in Protestantism. That’s why I left the system; wanting to follow biblical teachings more closely, traditional moral teachings, and the historic Christian Church.

The Bible teaches that the true Church is infallible and indefectible. That is a promise of God. One either accepts it in faith or not. That is the task: does one accept all of what the Bible teaches, or just selectively, with man-made traditions added to it?

There is such a thing as a false church and false gospel, that must be rejected, and there is also the one true Church that cannot fail doctrinally, based on God’s protection. You assert the first thing but reject the second, which is your difficulty (accepting one part of the Bible but not another). We accept both things and have no difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I'm glad you brought that up.

It is incorrect to regard St. Paul as some kind of spiritual “lone ranger,” on his own with no particular ecclesiastical allegiance, since he was commissioned by Jesus Himself as an Apostle.
well let's be honest, you do not know this, and it is disputed, this last bit. So you are just likely demonstrating that you know how to misinterpret Scripture, just like your indoctrinators.

But i did not portray Paul as any spiritual Lone Ranger anyway; he seeded many congregations. i just meant...well, what i said, lol, the response to the assertion that Paul toed some imaginary line that you seem to have in your head, and/or was tolerated or even accepted by any authorities. Shall i go dig the quote up?

Did i maybe misunderstand it? Paul was what you would surely describe as a desperado, with a price on his head, a complete Anarchist, who would surely not have been allowed in your present congregation.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Protestants don’t have enough faith to believe that God could preserve an infallible Church,
Well they are your brothers and sister, share the same corrupt Jenes.

Most christian do not have enough faith to walk in terh spirit, need people around them to feel safe, becasue Christ is not enough for them. All you are doing is carrying baggage that does nothing to add to ones salvation, as if it could.

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Only one way Jesus, not mens religions.

which is required to believe in an infallible Bible written by a bunch of sinners and hypocrites.
You whoe churches doctrines are filled with hypocrisy. you shouildnt be calling the pot black.

because it doesn’t fit in with the man-made tradition of Protestantism and a supposedly non-infallible Church.

Yor whole religion proves its not from Christ riddled wtih lies and deceipt it is corrupt and broken. Our Lords wonderfull "church" if that i was you must call it, Has Him at teh head and is not broken has only those who "walk in the spirirt" in it who only follow Him and not men and his traditions.

Col_1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

YEs Him not your pope.

There is such a thing as a false church and false gospel, that must be rejected, and there is also the one true Church that cannot fail doctrinally, based on God’s protection. You assert the first thing but reject the second, which is your difficulty (accepting one part of the Bible but not another). We accept both things and have no difficulty.

Isa_30:1 Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

Which is what you have done because you replaced Jesus with a falliable man. Faith, your faith is in you religion that cant save anyone.

1Sa_8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

Rejecting God and Jesus to have men rule over you.

Mat 20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

Rejecting teh doctrines of Jesus to keep your own traditions.

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Makes al God has done a waste of time.

Abiding Grace

Aug 24, 2009
Arizona
Faith
Country
United States
I suppose that I have no reason to expect a different outcome for these same ideas over and over and over.................

My two cents.

Catholics are fond of saying that doctrine develops.

When Protestants explain their doctrine was being developed, it all of a sudden becomes a problem.

One snarky post after another snarky posts does nothing to develop cogent conversation.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One snarky post after another snarky posts does nothing to develop cogent conversation.
Snarky.?/
There is truth and there is lie. Jesus is teh truth in Him there is no lie, anything that oposes Christ, replaces Christ, or mimicks Christ is anti Christ and is not teh truth. When truth stands against lie, it will always seem snarky to teh one who is not in teh truth.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God

Mat 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
Mat 15:13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

When the truth is heard by teh spirit it rejoices, but the carnal mind gets angry and so teh flesh is offended. That simple.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
well let's be honest, you do not know this, and it is disputed, this last bit. So you are just likely demonstrating that you know how to misinterpret Scripture, just like your indoctrinators.
There are no misinterpretations of scripture because I didn't do any interpreting. Chapter and verses are provided so anyone can compare the comments with the verse. All the verses are straight forward.
But i did not portray Paul as any spiritual Lone Ranger anyway; he seeded many congregations. i just meant...well, what i said, lol, the response to the assertion that Paul toed some imaginary line that you seem to have in your head, and/or was tolerated or even accepted by any authorities. Shall i go dig the quote up?
Yes, please, I have no idea what you are taking about.

Did i maybe misunderstand it? Paul was what you would surely describe as a desperado, with a price on his head, a complete Anarchist, who would surely not have been allowed in your present congregation.
He certainly was a scandal, and the Christian community may not have allowed him in their congregations (shortly after his conversion). He may have sanctioned the deaths of their relatives.Their reluctance to embrace Paul is understandable. Paul went to the Magisterium, Peter, James and John, so he could check with the Church's gospel to make sure his gospel was in line, not the other way around. Scripture never uses Paul's divine call against the Church.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
God never said Mary was to be a perpetual virgin.

Stranger

He did not need to as it was accepted - but He did for later at Matt.16:19 when it would tend to be rejected by some - twinc

Abiding Grace

Aug 24, 2009
Arizona
Faith
Country
United States
Snarky.?/
There is truth and there is lie. Jesus is teh truth in Him there is no lie, anything that oposes Christ, replaces Christ, or mimicks Christ is anti Christ and is not teh truth. When truth stands against lie, it will always seem snarky to teh one who is not in teh truth.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God

Mat 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
Mat 15:13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

When the truth is heard by teh spirit it rejoices, but the carnal mind gets angry and so teh flesh is offended. That simple.

I have read a good many replies in this thread.

It seems that there is more than disagreement, there are veiled insults. As Christians we aren't called to be bringing up strife and engaging in foolish controversies.

I do agree with your stand on the Marian doctrines. Mary is not God's mother and she most certainly is not the spouse of the Holy Spirit. The first time I heard that, I started to become physically sick. There is nothing in the scriptures that says we are to pray to God through Mary.

God Bless

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It seems that there is more than disagreement, there are veiled insults. As Christians we aren't called to be bringing up strife and engaging in foolish controversies.

I do agree with your stand on the Marian doctrines. Mary is not God's mother and she most certainly is not the spouse of the Holy Spirit. The first time I heard that, I started to become physically sick. There is nothing in the scriptures that says we are to pray to God through Mary.

God Bless
You must remember one thing, you cant change that what people hold onto, its like trying to remove a lolly out of teh mouth of a child, so teh best you can do is show the "lambs", what stands against Jesus and let them make an informed decision.

Abiding Grace

Aug 24, 2009
Arizona
Faith
Country
United States
You must remember one thing, you cant change that what people hold onto, its like trying to remove a lolly out of teh mouth of a child, so teh best you can do is show the "lambs", what stands against Jesus and let them make an informed decision.

I'm good with that. For me personally, I try to provide truth from the scriptures and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit. We know that they have very little in the way of scripture to support their errant beliefs.

Besides that we know that the Catholic Church is in the throes of a death rattle.

God Speed

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There are no misinterpretations of scripture because I didn't do any interpreting. Chapter and verses are provided so anyone can compare the comments with the verse. All the verses are straight forward.
ok a better way to put that is maybe that you are stating a commonly held position as if it were indisputable fact, and i certainly do not know, but just want to suggest that whether or not Paul actually even met Christ physically is disputed.
Yes, please, I have no idea what you are taking about.
i am only wanting to portray a view of "St Paul" that suggests that maybe he was not the hail fellow well met by the authorities of the day, nor was he likely considered even "respected" by...pretty much anyone i guess, lol; or at least almost surely not anyone in Jerusalem. Didn't Paul die alone, on some island, forgotten, an exile?
He certainly was a scandal, and the Christian community may not have allowed him in their congregations (shortly after his conversion). He may have sanctioned the deaths of their relatives.Their reluctance to embrace Paul is understandable. Paul went to the Magisterium, Peter, James and John, so he could check with the Church's gospel to make sure his gospel was in line, not the other way around. Scripture never uses Paul's divine call against the Church.
i don't mean to suggest that he did, so you are certainly right there imo. What i meant to say is that it is possible, speaking generally, for someone to adopt a definition of this "Church" to suit themselves, and then interpret the passages from that premise.

By which i mean i do this, too, even, but imo we should not be afraid to examine our definition of "Church," and the premises that this will cause say me to adopt, once i am able to include myself in this definition, which is of course the initial reason for anyone even trying to get a handle on, to define, such a...special? spiritual? ephemerous? word as "Church" anyway. Iow i...naturally also seek to define the word "Church" so that--initially anyway--i can discover how i might be included in that group.

So then, i am persuaded of some acceptable definition by some people that seem right to me, usually quoting out of the Book even; The Church looks like This, and does That, and does not do This, and so this over here is "in" the Church, while that over there--where you are perhaps--is not, and i can tell because see i have this verse, _______________, to prove it, so, sorry, but you are obviously out.

You are one of them, not one of us, because you call some other guy "father," let's say, and of course i am not interested in reading all of those verses about early church "fathers," or how that can be understood as just a term of respect for position which is likely earned and deserved, because you are--of course--interpreting those passages wrong. :)

And it is my premises where "Church" is concerned, basically, that have allowed me to believe i can confidently identify "us," so then i can just as confidently identify "them." (And--the pov ultimately goes--there are only like 4 of us k)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

at least as far as you and i are concerned, anyway. Ergo, we got us a pretty good bead on things, see; you and i understand God just fine. :D

so for anyone reading this, you can just come to me--primarily, of course, because i have not yet verified whether or not Abiding Grace agrees with me in some other particulars, which is of course required--or perhaps Abiding Grace (but really only if i am not around :)), if you need a good definition of "Church," and we can of course tell you how to read those other pesky passages, too.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'm good with that. For me personally, I try to provide truth from the scriptures and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit. We know that they have very little in the way of scripture to support their errant beliefs.

Besides that we know that the Catholic Church is in the throes of a death rattlle.
God Speed
funny though, if you are destitute and seeking help, you are almost surely gonna shortly be talking to some Catholics, and they are not going to turn you away. And the Pentecostal church will prolly not even be open when you knock. The RCC has been further down than this before, i think.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary,

It can become confusing, can't it? We know that the Deuterocanonical Books (Apocrypha) were not included in the OT Hebrew canon. But they were added to the Septuagint, Greek translation of OT. So the Apocrypha is not regarded as canonical by those who spoke Hebrew in the OT era.

That the Apocrypha was acknowledged and quoted by the church fathers is no indication that it was inspired. It was not included after the Reformation (even though in KJV of 1611) because it was not regarded as Scripture by those who wanted to get away from church tradition and back to the Bible.

Read the Apocryphal books, Tobit, and Bel and the Dragon, and you'll see how fanciful they can be. These 2 books remind me of some of the sentiments in Mark 16:18 (not content), which is in Mark 16:9-20, which I and many scholars do not regard as part of the NT.

Oz
Dear Sir,

I do not know from where you obtained your education or if you are self educated on the history of the scripture and how we obtained it but you are completely and utterly wrong. First off there was no common canon among the Jews at the time of Christ. Second off the Deuterocanonical were, in general, included in the OT for the first 1600 years of Christianity. How is getting rid of certain books and throwing away 1600 years of Christian history getting away from tradition and back to the bible?

JND Kelly sums up the history of the bible better than I can: "It should be observed that the Old Testament thus admitted as authoritative in the Church was somewhat bulkier and more comprehensive [than the Protestant Bible] . . . It always included, though with varying degrees of recognition, the so-called apocrypha or deuterocanonical books"