It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By faith, I believe God breathed the Scriptures.
Is faith the name of the person that wrote it down? ;)

Seriously....Who did God breath it into? Who put it on paper?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No man knows any part of truth but any part which God has given him.
Hi,

When God gives absolute truth, like he has given to us in scripture, how do we know it is from Him?

Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said:
"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" II Cor 6:14

Was Hosea not a prophet of God who heard from God? Has God changed? Why was it that Hosea went ahead and married a prostitute?"

Maybe she was a believer.
You had best read the book of Hosea and decide for yourself.

While you are reading it and contemplating any answer you might consider also why is it God did not let David receive the punishment which he deserved for murdering Uriah and committing adultery with the man's wife?

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

There is no need for it to be another subject. Just a quick answer from you would suffice. I believe you know which church I have chosen:

Which have you chosen?

You have left me with the impression that you believe each person can have their own interpretation of scripture and be right.

Curious Mary
None of the ones included in those listed in the yellow pages in any city. Rather the community of believers consisting of the ones so elected by God. How could I a mere human be more specific than that?

I do not believe that each person can have their own interpretation of scripture and be right. A person's heart must be acceptable to God to be saved. Does that mean such a person is always right? Perhaps not. Since I do not know the heart of every person, how could I know?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

When God gives absolute truth, like he has given to us in scripture, how do we know it is from Him?

Mary
The evidence, if there is evidence, is in the heart of the person who received it. Probably not admissible in any court of men, but that is the way that it is.

Reactions: Helen and Pisteuo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The evidence, if there is evidence, is in the heart of the person who received it.
the fruit will be plain, and there will be witnesses, wouldn't you say?

Similar to when one seeks truth in Scripture, iow; the answer will always be "it depends," as we can witness when any two believers discuss any one doctrine; but the judgement should be made based upon the fruit nonetheless, at least imo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
first you must find an absolute truth, imo this seems rather self-evident, yes? And when you cannot, what will you do then? Denial is quite pop there, but will you be any closer to knowing what you want?

How can God be free to define Absolute Truth, if you insist upon a definition first?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the fruit will be plain, and there will be witnesses, wouldn't you say?

Similar to when one seeks truth in Scripture, iow; the answer will always be "it depends," as we can witness when any two believers discuss any one doctrine; but the judgement should be made based upon the fruit nonetheless, at least imo

The important things should be found according to this verse, no?

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:20

Then must come the explanation for any who do not understand what it means to be "in my [Jesus'] name"...

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then according to you there is no way of knowing black from white. All we have are personal and fallible opinions.

That's a strawman fallacy. It's erroneous reasoning. I did not say that and do not believe that. Why on earth do you invent my beliefs and make them into falsehoods?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-8_7-22-35.png
    upload_2017-12-8_7-22-35.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 0

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is more dangerous is when anyone who serves God goes along his own pathway rather than God's. Using all of these other sources, resources and calling on advisers who know more about some of the specifics can be a good thing, but having done that, or NOT, each person, be he a leader or teacher, or NOT, must still and more importantly hold to the unchanging hand of God. Let us both remember what is written even if we did not or could not read it in the language in which it was first written by a man:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

We, each of us must have a Director that is above every human resource or we will fail in the eyes of God no matter what else we do.

As I have said before, I am not against using such resources. It is simply a matter of first things first:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

I have a small library [my wife would call it a large library] of books that I use as well as, of course, the Internet, which are available and used at times, but I learned along time ago that if I were to immerse myself into the studies of all of those other books I could not accomplish God's purpose in my life. Many years ago after having read the Bible only a few times, I thought to learn all of those things so well that when I spoke it would always be God speaking through my mouth. I learned the hard way that that will not work. Anyone who really believes that it will is deluded.

My result from those efforts from quitting everything including Bible reading for nearly 10 years. When I had bottomed out God spoke to my heart. In about 2002 I began the long slow journey back holding that same unchanging hand of God. The journey then resumed and although too often I have turn my eyes away from Him, I have never quit repenting and seeking His face.

Give God the glory!

Should, is of course the key word in what you are saying. They should do it all better. So should we all, but the reason that we do not is not because we do not study enough, but because we do not lean as heavily on Him as we should.

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

Yes, worth his salt...

"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." Matt 5:13

Each teacher or preacher or other minister truly called by God should be doing it all God's Way according to the called person' own individual gifts, which are NOT the same in each person, are they?

Regardless of culture or IQ or education or other personal factors each believer must use what he has, in spite of what he does not have, to accomplish God's purpose for him. The problem too often found in people who are "smart" according men is that they also are "smart" according to themselves. They have not learned how little they really know and how little power they really have when they are all alone or only in the company of other similarly unenlightened men... when it comes to the things of God.

Among men working in secular vocations we of course expect to see the smartest men who have learned to work hard come out on top. Pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps may not be an evil thing, but it is not the way to God no matter how useful it may be even in serving God.

We should all remember these words from Jesus:

"When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:8-11

How about from the Holy Ghost within me? Isn't that the best answer if it is the truth?

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

I have no problem with teaching people rules so long as they do not preclude listening to God when He wants to intervene and overrule what we thought was a hard and fast unbreakable rule. Consider Hosea's situation with regard to what the Apostle Paul wrote here:

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" II Cor 6:14

Was Hosea not a prophet of God who heard from God? Has God changed? Why was it that Hosea went ahead and married a prostitute? We can follow the black and white rules until God speaks something that seems to conflict with one or more of those unbreakable rules:

"And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." Acts 10:13-15

My bad, I guess. I just presumed since I was responding that there must have been a question.

You still are not dealing with the issues I raised. You're imposing your view.

This is how WRONG you are in representing my view. I wrote: 'In my understanding, there is only one way to decide black from white. That is by using the absolutes of Scripture. No human being can do it'.

What a joke that you could turn that statement into: 'What is more dangerous is when anyone who serves God goes along his own pathway rather than God's'.

upload_2017-12-8_7-27-48.jpeg

Last edited:

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You had best read the book of Hosea and decide for yourself.

While you are reading it and contemplating any answer you might consider also why is it God did not let David receive the punishment which he deserved for murdering Uriah and committing adultery with the man's wife?

Regarding King David: why? Because he was saved. And it looks like God wanted to keep using David for His purposes.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
HI Oz,

In Acts 15 it is written "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us....". Did that abilbity to decide what seems good to the Holy Spirit end when the last Apostle died?

Matthew 18 says
whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Did that authority also end when the last apostle died?

IHS...Mary

Mary,

Let's read the Acts 15 passage in context. Here, you have cherry picked only a portion of one verse:

24We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. 25So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— 26men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. 28It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things (Acts 15:24-29 NIV).​

This was written to the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia (v. 23). There were specific circumstances that Judas and Silas had to deal with and they depended on the Holy Spirit to direct them with the information in v. 29. I fully support the Holy Spirit's ability to prompt believers in certain circumstances to deal with specific action, based on the context of what was happening in the lives of these Gentiles.

However, that message will not conflict with the God-breathed Scripture.

As for the meaning of binding and loosing in Matt 18:18-19, what is your interpretation of these scriptural verses? To what 'authority' do you refer?

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is faith the name of the person that wrote it down? ;)

Seriously....Who did God breath it into? Who put it on paper?

Mary

Mary,

You know your Bible. Surely you know the answer to that question! Are you raising it to cause a stir???

upload_2017-12-8_10-12-53.jpeg

'Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit' (2 Pet 1:20-21 NIV).​

That's HOW God did it. Human beings were carried along by the Holy Spirit and put it into writing.

WHAT did God do?

'16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work' (2 Tim 3:16-17 NIV).​

The HOW when applied to WHAT gives us the God-breathed Scripture that came via the writing of human beings.

Oz

'

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still are not dealing with the issues I raised. You're imposing your view.

This is how WRONG you are in representing my view. I wrote: 'In my understanding, there is only one way to decide black from white. That is by using the absolutes of Scripture. No human being can do it'.

What a joke that you could turn that statement into: 'What is more dangerous is when anyone who serves God goes along his own pathway rather than God's'.

View attachment 1413
I apologize for my errors here. I simply am what I am and often that is not so good. The good thing is that God is in the low places as well as the high ones. Please keep me in prayer. I wonder how twinc is today.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The OT is full of types and shadows of the reality of God. In the NT we see more of the reality of God, but there are also still many types and shadows.

amadeus,

I find these to be unhelpful statements as you give not one example of the OT types and shadows and the NT types and shadows.

I would find it advantageous for you to illustrate to what you refer.

Oz