Its not what you know

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not what you know, its who you know, or more importantly in this case who knows you.

Exo_6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Exo_33:12 And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So does the Lord God know you by your name?

granted, one can claim God knows everything without being in error, but the devil knows that two. thing is Jesus says He doesn't know certain people who claim Him as Lord.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Its not what you know, its who you know, or more importantly in this case who knows you.

Exo_6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Exo_33:12 And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

granted, one can claim God knows everything without being in error, but the devil knows that two. thing is Jesus says He doesn't know certain people who claim Him as Lord.

It's actually what you DO with what you have been given. God is NOT a respecter of persons. Many will try the ploy of trying to call out Lord, Lord.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 8:1, Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
1Co 8:2, And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
1Co 8:3, But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

Reactions: marks

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen.
Good reminder.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's actually what you DO with what you have been given. God is NOT a respecter of persons. Many will try the ploy of trying to call out Lord, Lord.

its still who you know and who knows you. a loving child seeks who's approval? surly its a loving father in this case. and just how does the father make the child aware of his approval?

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
its still who you know and who knows you. a loving child seeks who's approval? surly its a loving father in this case. and just how does the father make the child aware of his approval?

In God's case...translation into Zion. Think Enoch!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How will I know?
Do you know if God knows you by name, outside of your own speculation or conjecture?
I believe that I know God from reading his Word, as everyone on this site will make the same claim. But how am i suppose to know if the same is known about me, without sounding self-righteous or entitled?
Unless of course, he's spoken to me and told me so. Has that happened to anyone here?
To me, salvation is a mystery, for we constantly strive to both increase and retain our faith, to become edified and sanctified, and to remain humble and sincere and in love, our entire lives up to death. For, to me, anything less is a failure to attain salvation.
But who will assert that God has their name written in the Book of Life (outside of some Calvinists), which is tantamount to God knowing them, isn't it?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord has indeed spoken to me and told me, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; and therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you unto Me."

But then, I am considered to have a mental illness because I can hear His voice.

Nevertheless, the scripture teaches and Jesus said:

Jhn 10:27, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How will I know?
Do you know if God knows you by name, outside of your own speculation or conjecture?
I believe that I know God from reading his Word, as everyone on this site will make the same claim. But how am i suppose to know if the same is known about me, without sounding self-righteous or entitled?
Unless of course, he's spoken to me and told me so. Has that happened to anyone here?
To me, salvation is a mystery, for we constantly strive to both increase and retain our faith, to become edified and sanctified, and to remain humble and sincere and in love, our entire lives up to death. For, to me, anything less is a failure to attain salvation.
But who will assert that God has their name written in the Book of Life (outside of some Calvinists), which is tantamount to God knowing them, isn't it?

As you say you don’t know, and that would seem its because your salvation is according to your own judgement. But salvation is according to God’s judgement isn’t it? It’s not about what’s for you in your own judgement of what is good and evil, it’s about what’s for God in His Judgement of what is good and evil, isn’t it?

As far as reading the bible sure its better than not reading it but the devil is more familiar with the text then you will ever be. Jesus said:

Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Therefore, Satan knows who God is, and has seen the face of God, and has heard the Word of God and knows it forwards and backwards for his purposes. The bible isn’t your salvation friend, the message there of is in the scriptures but what saves your soul isn’t. I tell you to eat this food its good for you, but it’s the food that sustains the life not the message.

If you don’t know the Life of Christ then you have no salvation. no act on your part, or faith that is good in your own judgement will save you. Many people are faithful to many things they do, believing it will save them but that doesn’t mean it’s the Truth of God, does it?

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Jesus states:

Joh 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Hence only Jesus could ascend because He is not only from but while in the flesh was still in Heaven.

If you haven’t received the Life of Christ (which is from Heaven) via born again (born of the Holy Spirit) then you don’t know, but if one has, then one should know the Life one lives because the Life of Christ is, Son of God that He has given to the faithful in His Father's Judgement. Of which Jesus says one has the power to become a son of God.

therefore you would know like Jesus knows, because you would have the same Life.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As you say you don’t know, and that would seem its because your salvation is according to your own judgement. But salvation is according to God’s judgement isn’t it? It’s not about what’s for you in your own judgement of what is good and evil, it’s about what’s for God in His Judgement of what is good and evil, isn’t it?

As far as reading the bible sure its better than not reading it but the devil is more familiar with the text then you will ever be. Jesus said:

Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Therefore, Satan knows who God is, and has seen the face of God, and has heard the Word of God and knows it forwards and backwards for his purposes. The bible isn’t your salvation friend, the message there of is in the scriptures but what saves your soul isn’t. I tell you to eat this food its good for you, but it’s the food that sustains the life not the message.

If you don’t know the Life of Christ then you have no salvation. no act on your part, or faith that is good in your own judgement will save you. Many people are faithful to many things they do, believing it will save them but that doesn’t mean it’s the Truth of God, does it?

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Jesus states:

Joh 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Hence only Jesus could ascend because He is not only from but while in the flesh was still in Heaven.

If you haven’t received the Life of Christ (which is from Heaven) via born again (born of the Holy Spirit) then you don’t know, but if one has, then one should know the Life one lives because the Life of Christ is, Son of God that He has given to the faithful in His Father's Judgement. Of which Jesus says one has the power to become a son of God.

therefore you would know like Jesus knows, because you would have the same Life.
Yes, you're right, I should've explained my position more.
I believe that Jesus is the first-born of creation, and the first-born from the dead. That he is the alpha and omega of God's Word, and is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and thus, the one and only Way to salvation.
But, will I affirm that God knows me and that my name is written in the Book of Life, I hope so, but I haven't made it to the finish line yet, so, I can't make assumptions.

Philippians 3:8-14
3:8. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9. and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10. that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11. in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12. Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14. I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How will I know?
We are told to make our calling and election sure. How do we do that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and has heard the Word of God and knows it forwards and backwards for his purposes.
While I imagine that yes, Satan is aware of the contents of the Bible, just the same, the Holy Spirit reveals it to you. Does the Holy Spirit reveal the Bible to Satan?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are told to make our calling and election sure. How do we do that?
We follow the precepts of God, diligently and faithfully. Understanding on what grounds our salvation rests - faith in Christ - and knowing that there is a need to spread the Gospel, both in truth and sincerity. This then, will be a very good guideline. And, the more that the truth of God's Word penetrates one's mind and heart, his actions and wisdom will eventually become more in line with God's will - edified.
But, that's an overall expectation and barometer to use when deciding one's standing with God, so that I'm not sure if there is any assurance or permanency in these issues. I think not, but if one periodically checks on himself in regard to what I stated above, then I would say yes, for the moment, that person is saved. Provided that he retains that disposition before either he dies, or Christ comes back.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While I imagine that yes, Satan is aware of the contents of the Bible, just the same, the Holy Spirit reveals it to you. Does the Holy Spirit reveal the Bible to Satan?
I'm not sure that the Holy Spirit reveals God's Word in that sense. Any fool can read the literature and understand the logistics and principles conveyed in the Word. Atheists do it all the time when debating Christians. The difference being, the atheist does not accept it as truth, whereas the Christian does. Thus, Satan would be fully aware of the Bible and it's contents, if not solely for once being in the council of God. But also, because he has a real vested interest in doing so, and has been around long enough to obtain it.
The Holy Spirit guides in discerning and comprehending the depth of the message.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

what are you asking me for. what's the matter the point isn't sufficient for you? the point is in case you don't get it, since I wasn't talking to you is, Satan knows enough to fool anyone that isn't faithful, he can and will deceive the world. its not the knowledge of the bible that saves you, its the knowledge of God, in this case through Jesus Christ. and revelation is to know.

what's up, you doing a word search on this site for satan and seek to make it the subject wherever you can?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you're right, I should've explained my position more.
I believe that Jesus is the first-born of creation, and the first-born from the dead. That he is the alpha and omega of God's Word, and is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and thus, the one and only Way to salvation.
But, will I affirm that God knows me and that my name is written in the Book of Life, I hope so, but I haven't made it to the finish line yet, so, I can't make assumptions.

again:

of which you did not attest. knowing that Jesus is Son of God isn't enough, even devil know who the Son of God is:

Mat 8:28  And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. 
Mat 8:29  And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? 

so again salvation is according to the Savior not those who could be saved.

A little something else you might look at too:

Act 7:54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

Act 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
Act 7:56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
Act 7:57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
Act 7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

how did the writer know this "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost" happened unless Steven said so? or that the writer knew that revelation comes this way, and he could only know this through experience. and if it isn't revealed to you the Presence of God (the Holy Spirit) then as you say, you don't know.

but telling people how humble you are and unassuming in this case is like the guy that states. if it wasn't for my modesty I'd be perfect.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure that the Holy Spirit reveals God's Word in that sense. Any fool can read the literature and understand the logistics and principles conveyed in the Word. Atheists do it all the time when debating Christians. The difference being, the atheist does not accept it as truth, whereas the Christian does. Thus, Satan would be fully aware of the Bible and it's contents, if not solely for once being in the council of God. But also, because he has a real vested interest in doing so, and has been around long enough to obtain it.
The Holy Spirit guides in discerning and comprehending the depth of the message.
I'm thinking that we are given understanding of the Bible in ways Satan will never have.

Just like the athiests, actually, there is no such thing, they may know the words it says, but not what it means.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so that I'm not sure if there is any assurance or permanency in these issues.
This is why I ak the question, how are we to make our calling and election sure, that is, a certainty?

Much love!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
again:

of which you did not attest. knowing that Jesus is Son of God isn't enough, even devil know who the Son of God is:

Mat 8:28  And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. 
Mat 8:29  And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? 

so again salvation is according to the Savior not those who could be saved.

A little something else you might look at too:

Act 7:54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

Act 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
Act 7:56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
Act 7:57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
Act 7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

how did the writer know this "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost" happened unless Steven said so? or that the writer knew that revelation comes this way, and he could only know this through experience. and if it isn't revealed to you the Presence of God (the Holy Spirit) then as you say, you don't know.

but telling people how humble you are and unassuming in this case is like the guy that states. if it wasn't for my modesty I'd be perfect.
The Holy Spirit has not revealed anything to me, but I do believe that I'm born again for the convictions that I stated above.
You are in communication with the Holy Spirit, or just your own personal thoughts guided by what you've read in the Bible?