Jesus and Commands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Some are being very obtuse. The gospel is not this hard to understand as some would make it out to be by going backwards to preaching needing to be under the old laws..
What are the old laws?
You mean the 613?
Do you know anybody who keeps the old laws?

Aren't we here on this forum on the same page even to that understanding??

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is circular. If we have to keep the old law, we have to keep the seventh-day Sabbath. But if we believe in Jesus, we keep the Spirit of the Sabbath - trust in Him.

If you want to be under the law, you don't need the Holy Spirit, but you've fallen from grace.

So which will it be?
I didn't speak about any laws...
I asked if it's necessary to obey God.

It's a yes or no answer.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The blood removes sin when we ask for forgiveness.
What does practicing righteousness mean?
What does righteous mean?

I already showed you in #269

16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

Righteousness is doing good, whatever that may be day after day. Do you really need a list?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is circular. If we have to keep the old law, we have to keep the seventh-day Sabbath. But if we believe in Jesus, we keep the Spirit of the Sabbath - trust in Him.

If you want to be under the law, you don't need the Holy Spirit, but you've fallen from grace.

So which will it be?
What exactly does it mean to be under the law?
Can you name someone on this forum who believes he's under the law?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

Righteousness is doing good, whatever that may be day after day. Do you really need a list?
YOU seem to make everything difficult and complicated, as many others do also.

Righteousness does not mean doing good.

Righteousness: Doing what is good in the eyes of God.
Righteous: Being right with God.

See. It's EASY!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the old laws?
You mean the 613?
Do you know anybody who keeps the old laws?

Aren't we here on this forum on the same page even to that understanding??

The ones engraved on stone. Sound familiar? 2 Corinthians 3:7. Romans 8:2.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

P.S.

Where did I ask for a list?

Keep it simple.....

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The ones engraved on stone. Sound familiar? 2 Corinthians 3:7. Romans 8:2. How many times do we need to repeat the same verses to you? Are you reading whole posts, letting them sink in, or just speed reading and not obtaining anything?
You're becoming personal.
What do you mean "how many times do we have to repeat versus to you".

I have NOTHING to learn from you 1st century lady.
You could take that to the bank.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're becoming personal.
What do you mean "how many times do we have to repeat versus to you".

I have NOTHING to learn from you 1st century lady.
You could take that to the bank.

I find you unteachable anyway. Good bye. Go to Bob Ryan if you want to be under the law.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes, you.
This shows you know nothing of the New Testament which also means the New Covenant.

I guess it's OK to say that since YOU also have said some personal things.

End.
moving-clipart-goodbye-7.jpg

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is in bible study because answers should be biblically based and I'd like to avoid personal comments since they add nothing to a discussion.

I hear many say that Jesus has come to abolish the law because we are no longer under the law. This comes from
Mathew 5:17

It seems to me that Jesus plainly states that He did NOT come to abolish the law.

So, the law is a set of commands that God has given us.
Did Jesus give us any commands that we are to follow?
If so, what are they?
If not, why not.

John 14:15 says:
"If you love Me, you will keep my commandments". (NASB)

WHAT COMMANDMENTS??
Which ones do you think?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is in bible study because answers should be biblically based and I'd like to avoid personal comments since they add nothing to a discussion.

I hear many say that Jesus has come to abolish the law because we are no longer under the law. This comes from
Mathew 5:17

It seems to me that Jesus plainly states that He did NOT come to abolish the law.

So, the law is a set of commands that God has given us.
Did Jesus give us any commands that we are to follow?
If so, what are they?
If not, why not.

John 14:15 says:
"If you love Me, you will keep my commandments". (NASB)

WHAT COMMANDMENTS??
Paul says what God wrote on stone is now written on the heart, so that would mean the Ten Commandments?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Which ones do you think?
This thread is not for me.
It's for discussion for others.
I believe we're to obey all of the New Covenant commands.
Which are all the commandments Jesus gave us when He was teaching...
for instance, the beatitudes are commands...
Mathew chapters 5 to 7.

Mathew 5:3-10 were not SUGGESTIONS,
this is how God wants us to be if we're to be in His Kingdom here.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Paul says what God wrote on stone is now written on the heart, so that would mean the Ten Commandments?
Yes. But then we have the problem with the Sabbath.
I'm not sure about what I believe concerning that.
It IS one of the commandments and it seems to me that Jesus said they were not abolished... I'm just not sure either way.

If we love, there will be more than the 10,,,but love covers all.
For instance, if we love others, we will also be adhering to Mathew 5:3-10 which I brought up before.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But that doesn't mean that we are still full of sin and unrighteousness inside the tank as some believe who think the blood of Jesus merely covers our sin, not takes it away entirely. I don't think you mean that.

We cannot sin inside the tank...as the environment will not permit it. We need to forsake sin in order to enter into His shelter.

1 John 3:8-9 He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Our righteousness before Christ is as filthy rags, but not when we have been born of the Spirit. Then we are actually righteous when we practice righteousness.

We practice righteousness because we are IN Him. We are talking here of an eternal kind of righteousness...whereby we do things that were prepared in advance.....perfectly. They are His perfect works.

So then our righteousness is...doing the right thing with what we have been given. It is in a human capacity. So then if we have money....and we give it away to someone in need...we have done a good thing. Anybody can do this. Think of the widow's 2 mites.

But His righteousness is Christ working His ways through us. It never becomes ours. It is always His. We are just the vessels that contain His holiness. No one can do things on that level...unless Christ is behind it. These are the impossible works that originate from heaven. How did Peter slay Ananias and Sapphira? Did he use a human means? No! It was the righteousness of a holy God ON Peter that did the work.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Could he have quit? As you say he has been around for a long time. I have wrangled a bit with him on a half dozen or more forums prior to this one over the years. Hopefully, he is OK.
Let's pray for him.

No, I don't think he would ever quit.
He is still a member on SiT2 yet he hasn't been there for about three years.

I must say I did wonder how on earth his Profile page has gone...even though his name is still here on the forum and can be searched.
I have found when a person just chooses the option of not allowing anyone to look at their profile info ,and so do that....
It says this members profile is not available...
But when I am pretty sure a member has been suspended for a while or banned, it says -
( this is twinc's as you can see in the link )
https://www.christianityboard.com/members/twinc.3763/

I'm very sad. :(