Jesus and Commands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Does God require the minimum? Only to schoolchildren. And it was only temporary UNTIL Christ. Why?

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

You are only seeing the 10C as Law, but not as Covenant. It was under the OLD Covenant. We are under the NEW Covenant which is not the same as the old in that it has higher standards, and the true meaning of the Sabbath is revealed. Not kept in the old way of the letter - just on the 7th day, but the full meaning of God's rest. What is that called?
you are so busy contradicting yourself now that it is no longer even possible for me to read your monologues, ok, i would post some of the many vv that assure us we must keep the whole law but they would be glossed too, so before i get to sounding too superior i'm just going to leave now, and i wish you the best. If you think following Christ's 2 Commandments would ever cause you to come into conflict with the Decalogue then we have a passage for that too, ok?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you are so busy contradicting yourself now that it is no longer even possible for me to read your monologues, ok, i would post some of the many vv that assure us we must keep the whole law but they would be glossed too, so before i get to sounding too superior i'm just going to leave now, and i wish you the best. If you think following Christ's 2 Commandments would ever cause you to come into conflict with the Decalogue then we have a passage for that too, ok?

That would be best for me, but not for you. But you do what you want.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If you think following Christ's 2 Commandments would ever cause you to come into conflict with the Decalogue then we have a passage for that too, ok?
That would be best for me, but not for you.
so iow we are not having a conversation now, nor were we ever i guess.
Do you know what an oracle is? Do you have a contemporary analogue for the concept "oracle," i mean?

or i mean can you explain how your reply matches my post that you quoted, bc wadr i am not seeing it.

and since i know you won't reply to this post anyway i may as well be perfectly clear, so at least there is no excuse; "that would be best for me" makes absolutely no sense as an answer to "we have a passage for that" in the manner that you mean it, except in your mind, ok? ask someone whose opinion you respect and see. Pls come and tell me if i am wrong

But whatever you do don't pursue how you might be contradicting yourself ok,
no one will blame you for that i guess

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so iow we are not having a conversation now, nor were we ever i guess.
Do you know what an oracle is? Do you have a contemporary analogue for the concept "oracle," i mean?

or i mean can you explain how your reply matches my post that you quoted, bc wadr i am not seeing it.

and since i know you won't reply to this post anyway i may as well be perfectly clear, so at least there is no excuse; "that would be best for me" makes absolutely no sense as an answer to "we have a passage for that" in the manner that you mean it, except in your mind, ok? ask someone whose opinion you respect and see

Sorry, I'm not getting your point if there is one.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Sorry, I'm not getting your point if there is one.
that's why i went to some lengths to make it perfectly clear, yes
go ask someone you respect, and see if you want to see
or, there is a Q in there too, 3 of them, you don't need to get any points to answer a Q right

fwiw i find no judgement for beliefs anyway, and i hope you understand that i am not interested in converting you to my beliefs, ok, your beliefs are strictly your business imo

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"
To ensure the effectiveness of his own pending dictatorship, Octavian had swiftly declared the deceased Julius a divinity, and evenly swiftly, his supporters began to subsequently address him as Son of God, King of Kings, Savior of the World, all that. Next, as Augustus, he ordered the empire-wide worship of both Julius and the empire itself, and adorned the entire realm with mass-produced effigies of himself as a dashing young man. Augustus ruled for decades, but we have no images of Augustus as an older man. To us and everybody in the empire, Augustus would always be that Glorious One, Son of God and Savior of the World of say, roughly 33 years old..." The amazing name Philippi: meaning and etymology

and of course we have the same dictatorship today with Jesus as Nehushtan, right down to the dictators and the other particulars, i mean you cannot find one that does not line up perfectly i guess

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"
...For many centuries, historians have told us that the Roman Empire was a wonderful thing, but it wasn't and many people knew it. One of Augustus' achievements was the hallowed Pax Romana, the Peace of Rome, but Roman peace was the terrified quietness of a housewife whose husband had beaten her so much that she had simply given up living. The Romans deserve no laudation; their so-called wonderful inventions would have been made anyway by others, such as the Celts, the Greeks or the Phoenicians. But in stead of the products of these wonderful societies, humanity got stuck until today with the horror of Rome.

Long before Rome rose to prominence, the prophet Jeremiah wrote, "They say: 'Peace, peace,' but there is no peace" (Jeremiah 8:11), and even the first century Roman historian Tacitus bravely recorded the lament of a Caledonian commander named Galgacus, who called the Romans, "Robbers of the world, exhausting the earth with their world-wide plunder [...]. Robbery, slaughter and plunder they lyingly call empire. They create a wasteland, and call it peace" (Agricola.1.30)..." ibid
should be ringing some bells too i guess

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that's why i went to some lengths to make it perfectly clear, yes
go ask someone you respect, and see if you want to see
or, there is a Q in there too, 3 of them, you don't need to get any points to answer a Q right

fwiw i find no judgement for beliefs anyway, and i hope you understand that i am not interested in converting you to my beliefs, ok, your beliefs are strictly your business imo

Curious - are you Seventh-day Adventist? I don't know.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Curious - are you Seventh-day Adventist? I don't know.
nope, they are just Romans by another name to me too
they pretty much all believe Jesus is returning, and that they are going to be immortals in Valhalla too i guess
prolly exceptions there too though, but seems to me they have bought into this "day of worship" thing, which i agree with you there

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nope, they are just Romans by another name to me

Just curious because I absolutely love Seventh-day Adventists. They might not understand the New Covenant, and I want them to grow in the baptism of the Holy Spirit and know the New Covenant, but it is a fact that God honors their convictions, just as He still honors national Israel even though they don't know Christ...yet. I love them too.

cc: @BobRyan

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009 I asked you a question you didn't answer.

"You are only seeing the 10C as Law, but not as Covenant. It was under the OLD Covenant. We are under the NEW Covenant which is not the same as the old in that it has higher standards, and the true meaning of the Sabbath is revealed. Not kept in the old way of the letter - just on the 7th day, but the full meaning of God's rest. What is that called?"

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious because I absolutely love Seventh-day Adventists. They might not understand the New Covenant,

Understanding the New Covenant begins by letting go of "creative writing" and embracing the actual text of the New Covenant as we find it stated in both Jeremiah 31:31-33 and Hebrews 8:6-12 where we find it is unchanged in the New Testament from its Old Testament form. This step of actually reading the text instead of inserting one's preferences is a key one and is often skipped by those with strong preference over what is found in the text.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
another great point that should be considered imo, this belief in some covenant that is new, when nothing has changed, Love Your Neighbor is right there in the Decalogue, and we are all exackly as whacked as the Hebrews in Jesus' day i guess
@bbyrd009 I asked you a question you didn't answer.

"You are only seeing the 10C as Law, but not as Covenant. It was under the OLD Covenant. We are under the NEW Covenant which is not the same as the old in that it has higher standards, and the true meaning of the Sabbath is revealed. Not kept in the old way of the letter - just on the 7th day, but the full meaning of God's rest. What is that called?"
i've asked you a bunch of Qs you have not answered lol, and if you want to not take Saturday off from work then don't take it off 1stC, i understand the justification, it just doesn't work for me, the subject has been changed in there imo, so now you can literally work seven days a week and claim you are in Christ's spiritual rest too if you want

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understanding the New Covenant begins by letting go of "creative writing" and embracing the actual text of the New Covenant as we find it stated in both Jeremiah 31:31-33 and Hebrews 8:6-12 where we find it is unchanged in the New Testament from its Old Testament form. This step of actually reading the text instead of inserting one's preferences is a key one and is often skipped by those with strong preference over what is found in the text.

Your mistake is not recognizing what commandments are written on the heart. That is called tunnel vision to assume they are the old covenant commandments that could not make anyone righteous.

Reactions: Helen

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
another great point that should be considered imo, this belief in some covenant that is new, when nothing has changed, Love Your Neighbor is right there in the Decalogue, and we are all exackly as whacked as the Hebrews in Jesus' day i guess

i've asked you a bunch of Qs you have not answered lol, and if you want to not take Saturday off from work then don't take it off 1stC, i understand the justification, it just doesn't work for me, the subject has been changed in there imo, so now you can literally work seven days a week and claim you are in Christ's spiritual rest too if you want

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Is it because you don't know that you are avoiding the question? What does entering into God's rest mean? In Hebrews 4

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
meaning that the Decalogue is the minimum standard, not that it should be ignored or negated

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Rom 12:1

The minimum is found perhaps in the impossibility of even "reasonable service":

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wow. I guess you just have it all down pat. You even seem to know the mind of God, I am sorry that you feel you have to be so presumptuous to prove yourself right and everybody else wrong. So, you know my heart? "Encouraging" one another is now a burden?? "Cheap grace", Whaaaa? "Cheap grace" is something you should be on your FACE thanking Him for everyday! And, it was anything BUT cheap! "Sloppy Agape"?? Okay, so, now God's sacrificial love is "sloppy". I do not imagine it is anything you yourself have ever walked in, as per your tone. Check out my signature.
You keep pounding your chest there Mr. Phoneyman, and let the "knowledge" that YOU will be "Great in the Kingdom of God" and I will be "called the least" Such judgement.
I am so over modern day pharisees. I will pray that God send someone to help you down from that pedestal you have perched yourself upon before you fall down and hurt yourself.

Nancy , take a leaf out of my book ...just step over Phoneman777 posts. They will drag you down. He is the most harsh unchristian christian.

Bless you...Helen.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This thread has brought me to tears. It's very bad how you speak with each other.

Haha!! Welcome to the Site my new friend...
You will soon know who's posts to read and who's posts to 'sidestep'..
Just go with those who with whom you sense the Spirit of the Lord.

Hugs...Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
@bbyrd009 I'm glad you like this post, but can you answer the question?
the problem imo is that you are Quoting Paul, and Paul has an interesting way of being misunderstood when you use his words to justify a premise, a conclusion that you have already reached first iow. If you could Quote where Paul said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" i could maybe illustrate, maybe not, but the point is that when you read Paul without premises the interpretation changes.

Imo you have accepted a perfectly logical conclusion, and you were given some Scripture to back it up, only Paul is not speaking logically, and we even have a passage that no one understands or Quotes where he discusses this i guess

Last edited: