Jesus' Crucifixion and Death, and Burial, were on consecutive days

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, let us see, the pass over was on the Friday, so the day of preparation for the Passover was Thursday, which is also the day that Christ died.

What clue is given in the Gospels to confirm this? John 12:1 confirms this fact. Jesus arrives at Bethany 6 days before the Passover. He was in Jericho on the Friday having lunch at Zacchaeus before he sets off to walk up towards Jerusalem in the late afternoon and probably just before the sun set, heralding the start of the Sabbath Day, he arrived at Bethany. Six days after the Jesus arrived at Bethany, the Passover feast was to be celebrated on the Friday. This then make the Friday a High Sabbath day and a day of rest for the nation of Israel.

This then means that Jesus was crucified on the Thursday.

In the other thread on the Three days, I posted an attachment that arranges the gospel accounts into chronological order which I put together over 10 years ago to satisfy myself as to how the events leading up to the cross unfolded. The attachment might help this discussion as well.

Shalom

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So, then we agree that:
  • Jesus died on Nisan 14 (Preparation day aka "Friday"),
  • was buried before the Sabbath began and rested in the tomb throughout the Sabbath (Nisan 15 aka "Saturday") without His flesh seeing corruption,
  • and then arose the day following the Sabbath (Nisan 16 aka "Sunday"),
with His body miraculously preserved from corruption over the Sabbath hours, a NT "antitype" to the OT "type" which was the manna that was also miraculously preserved during the Sabbath hours as well, or have I missed something?

"On the Seventh Day the LORD RESTED and was REVIVED" - "refreshed" - "HAVING BEEN REVIVED."

Christ being '~preserved~', "his flesh having seen no corruption in death", means, equals, is, "Christ in the flesh came" from the grave Divine-perfect in LIFE, that is, RESURRECTED "without having seen corruption in death". It is not written 'On the FIRST Day the LORD rested and was revived'.

Jesus did not die '~on Nisan 14 (Preparation day aka "Friday")~'; His body was BURIED on it, "according to the Scriptures", "the first day ULB .. the fifteenth of the month .. ye shall EAT and that which REMAIN ye shall BURN with fire" i.e., "BURY according to the Law / Ethics / Custom of the Jews to BURY".

Jesus was not '~buried before the Sabbath began~' but before the passover-sabbath of '~Nisan 15~', the Sixth Day, began 'Thursday night'. During its night, Joseph and Nicodemus "prepared the body", and "mid-afternoon That Day the Preparation ... great day of sabbath of" the PASSOVER, "laid him in the sepulchre".

And then the day following the passover sabbath, "the morning which is after the Preparation the tomb was sealed and a watch was placed ... BUT LATE ON THE SABBATH being the Sabbath's mid-afternoon BEFORE the First Day of the week", Christ RESURRECTED
hours BEFORE sunset (6 p.m.) and
BEFORE "the Sabbath had gone through" Mark 16:1,
BEFORE the Marys "and Salome bought spices" Mark 16:1,
BEFORE "dusk on the First Day of the week" John 20:1,
9 hours BEFORE "deepest night's morning on the First Day the women came with their spices prepared to the grave" Luke 24:1,
12 hours BEFORE "very early before sunrise they again came and again looked" Mark 16:2,
15 HOURS BEFORE "Mary Magdalene had had stood after and saw Jesus for the gardener" John 20:11 and "The Risen Jesus first APPEARED to Mary Magdalene early on the First Day",
15 hours PLUS BEFORE He after sunrise on Sunday morning appeared to the other women Matthew 28:9.

So unfortunately this time we don't agree on anything.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well, let us see, the pass over was on the Friday, so the day of preparation for the Passover was Thursday, which is also the day that Christ died.

What clue is given in the Gospels to confirm this? John 12:1 confirms this fact. Jesus arrives at Bethany 6 days before the Passover. He was in Jericho on the Friday having lunch at Zacchaeus before he sets off to walk up towards Jerusalem in the late afternoon and probably just before the sun set, heralding the start of the Sabbath Day, he arrived at Bethany. Six days after the Jesus arrived at Bethany, the Passover feast was to be celebrated on the Friday. This then make the Friday a High Sabbath day and a day of rest for the nation of Israel.

This then means that Jesus was crucified on the Thursday.

In the other thread on the Three days, I posted an attachment that arranges the gospel accounts into chronological order which I put together over 10 years ago to satisfy myself as to how the events leading up to the cross unfolded. The attachment might help this discussion as well.

Please give us a link to your attachment?

Allow me to give you also http://www.biblestudents.co.za/book...aaste Lyding en Triomf van Jesus Christus.pdf where you will find the 'preamble' or 'lead-up' to Jesus' Last Passover.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The KJ English is in the bottom line under the Greek.

Sorry, I opened the document and did not get that far into it. I could not understand the table of contents and was not at all able to understand the purpose of the PDF file.

Last edited:

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Phoneman777,
re: "Jesus died on...Friday...and then arose...Sunday."

How do you account for the lack of a 3rd night?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What do you do with the fact that the Manna was preserved over the Sabbath, and Jesus' body was "preserved from corruption" over the Sabbath? He died and was buried before the Sabbath, slept the sleep of death in the tomb on Sabbath, and arose sometime after the sun went down and Sabbath became the first day of the week - probably just before dawn "as the day was dawning".

The manna was preserved over the Sixth Day and over the Sabbath.
Jesus' body was "preserved from corruption" through all his life but especially and specifically over and through THE LAST PASSOVER SUFFERING OF YAHWEH retrospectively over and through Jesus' last PASSOVER'S "three days and three nights over and during which "HIS FLESH SAW NO CORRUPTION" for two reasons: Jesus Suffered and Died and was Buried and Resurrected "THIS SAME JESUS YE CRUCIFIED"
1) while He was SINLESS, and where no sin is there cannot be corruption; and
2) while He was GOD, who by the "POWER I HAVE TO TAKE UP MY LIFE AGAIN", had "LAID IT DOWN" and "had made Sacrifice of Himself" -- Who was an "ODOUR OF LIFE", "ON THE SABBATH in its fullness" of fulfilment by "HIM the ALL in all fulfilling FULLNESS OF GOD" -- and "God raised Him from the dead Lord and Christ" --

NOT, as you allege wrongly (more likely falsely), <before the Sabbath>, BUT, "before / towards / against the First Day of the week" after He had <slept the sleep of death> OF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE in the tomb over the Sabbath, SO THAT "the LORD resting revived and reviving rested the day, The Seventh Day", Exodus 31:17, arising "when the angel of the lord spot on on time in the very mid-afternoon late being in the declining daylight of the Sabbath as it began to dawn towards the First Day of the week, CAST THE STONE FROM THE GRAVE" before the sun had set.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry I am a little late....reading through...I am trying to pick out what you have concluded here. Some questions...
1. Do you think you have come up with an answer for the period between the time Christ died and He resurrected...39 hours how does that correlate to three days and three nights? Christ's reference to the Temple....39 hours? Jonah in the belly of the whale 39 hours? That is all far less than two days. 40 days and 40 nights....is that 30? Should we use this math for all time keeping in the NT?

And how about the fact that they were having the Passover meal on Thursday? That one is not hard.

Why were the women at the tomb Sunday morning?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus was crucified on Friday, not Thursday.

We know that Jesus was crucified on a Friday because Scripture tells us that the Sabbath (Saturday) was approaching (e.g., Mt 27:62, Mk 15:42, Lk 23:54, Jn 19:31 – the “day of preparation” is Friday, the day before the Sabbath: Saturday, and the Sabbath was considered to begin on sundown on Friday, as with Jews to this day).

We also know from the biblical data that the discovery of His Resurrection was on a Sunday (e.g., Mk 16:1-2-,9, Mt 28:1, Lk 24:1, Jn 20:1). And we know that “three days and three nights” (Mt 12:40) is synonymous in the Hebrew mind and the Bible with “after three days” ((Mk 8:31) and “on the third day” (Mt 16:21, 1 Cor 15:4). Most references to the Resurrection say that it happened on the third day. In John 2:19-22, Jesus said that He would be raised up in three days (not on the fourth day).

It would be like saying, “This is the third day I’ve been working on painting this room.” I could have started painting late Friday and made this remark on early Sunday. If I complete the task on Sunday, then the chronology would be just as Jesus’ Resurrection was. The only difference is the Hebrew idiom “three days and three nights” which was not intended in the hyper-literal sense as YOU might mistakenly interpret it today.

In fact, to say that Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday or Thursday afternoon (apart from the biblical difficulties of this assertion) will not solve this problem for those who wish to interpret hyper-literally without taking into account idiomatic and non-literal, non-“scientific” expression. The only way to get three literal 24-hour days would be for Jesus to rise at the same time He was crucified, and then (technically) He would be rising at the beginning of a fourth 24-hour day, whereas the Bible says this happened on the “third” day.

But He died at about 3 PM (Mt 27:46, Lk 23:44-46: “the ninth hour” is 3 PM, because it was figured by the Jews from 6 AM). So a literal “three 24-hour day” interpretation of a Wednesday crucifixion would have Jesus rising at Saturday at 3 PM, and a Thursday crucifixion would have a Sunday, 3 PM Resurrection (or the discovery of same, at any rate). The Bible, however, has the disciples discovering that the Lord had risen early on Sunday morning (Lk 23:56: they rested on the Sabbath; Lk 24:1: at “early dawn, they went to the tomb”); so early, in Mary Magdalene’s case, that it was still dark (Jn 20:1).

The understanding of idiom explains all this. For both the ancient Jews (6 PM to 6 PM days) and Romans (who reckoned days from midnight to midnight), the way to refer to three separate 24-hour days (in whole or in part) was to say “days and nights.” We speak similarly in English idiom – just without adding the “nights” part. For example, we will say that we are off for a long weekend vacation, of “three days of fun” (Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday). But it is understood that this is not three full 24-hour days. Chances are we will depart part way through the first day and return before the third day ends. So for a Saturday through Monday vacation, if we leave at 8 AM on Saturday and return at 10 PM on Monday night, literally that is less than three full days (it would be two 24-hour days and 14 more hours: ten short of three full days).

Yet we speak of a “three-day vacation” and that we returned “after three days” or “on the third day.” A literal “three 24-hour day trip” would end at 8 AM on Tuesday. Such descriptions are understood, then, as non-literal. The ancient Jews and Romans simply added the clause “and nights” to such utterances, but understood them in the same way, as referring to any part of a whole 24-hour day.

Thus the “problem” or so-called “biblical contradiction” vanishes.

Well ... hell I never!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes and is difficult to read and understand still.

And yes I understand it is all your own work. I would be just as well off eating a can of bully beef from the Boer War for the good that the document will do me..

Read the foreword - the English there. You will not elsewhere find the four Gospels so exactly, precisely, Divinely synoptic. If you could find that much good the document might do you, I thank God.

It was the days I still was able to roam the Magaliesberg when I once - must have been three quarters of a century after - picked up bully beef cans and other relics from the time of the English - Boer war. About twenty years later I found more in the koppies at Twee Riviere nature reserve. I kept it for many years behind glass in my book shelves. I was very proud of my collection and regret I eventually threw it away.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Read the foreword - the English there. You will not elsewhere find the four Gospels so exactly, precisely, Divinely synoptic. If you could find that much good the document might do you, I thank God.

It was the days I still was able to roam the Magaliesberg when I once - must have been three quarters of a century after - picked up bully beef cans and other relics from the time of the English - Boer war. About twenty years later I found more in the koppies at Twee Riviere nature reserve. I kept it for many years behind glass in my book shelves. I was very proud of my collection and regret I eventually threw it away.

But you wisely chose not to eat the bully beef from those cans. That was the point that I was making about the linked PDF article.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Read the foreword - the English there. You will not elsewhere find the four Gospels so exactly, precisely, Divinely synoptic.

I have already done put the last weeks of Christ's life into the chronological order of the events as described in the Gospels, from an English translation that I can read and understand without going back hundreds of years to learn how to read the translation that you used in your article.

Now was I also not being Divinely synoptic, as well, when I did that?

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Scriptures teach that Jesus' body was taken down laid in a tomb on the preparation day - the sixth day of the week - and that the Sabbath was drawing close.

Exactly! The Scriptures Mark 15:42-47 Matthew 27:57-61 Luke 23:50-56a John 10:31-42 teach that Jesus' body was taken down and laid in a tomb "on The Preparation Day WHICH IS the Fore-Sabbath"-'Friday', Thursday night after sunset to Friday before sunset - <the sixth day of the week - and that the Sabbath [Seventh Day] was drawing close>, Luke 23:54.

But the Scriptures John 13:1,30; 18:28; 19:14 to 19:30 Luke 22:7-23:49 Mark 14:12-15:41 Matthew 26:17-27:56 teach that Jesus was delivered and led out to be crucified when "it was The Preparation Day OF THE PASSOVER", and that He was crucified and died "the ninth hour" 3 PM three hours before sunset on the Fifth Day of the week Thursday when "That Day great day of sabbath" OF THE PASSOVER, the Sixth Day of the week, was drawing <close> or was nearing.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I have already done put the last weeks of Christ's life into the chronological order of the events as described in the Gospels, from an English translation that I can read and understand without going back hundreds of years to learn how to read the translation that you used in your article.

Why, if you want to promote your synopsis, provide it!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Is this what you are talking about, https://www.christianityboard.com/d.../06/3268_e5492b308121ac2d15cc32d6617d3bd9.pdf

How can anyone give critique on your document seeing you have scarcely started with it, what, haven't finished with it yet? The columns you supplied do not reach up to Palm Sunday yet?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Since the sabbath was originally God's sabbath, and God's day of rest, there is absolutely no way that Christ arose on the day of His rest. And you are taking a Scripture out of context above.

Never "rested God" rested He not in and by and with and through "the exceeding greatness of his strength according to the energising / force / torque / acceleration / to the power / exponent of his might which He WROUGHT / WORKED / SUCCEEDED / FINISHED / ACCOMPLISHED IN CHRIST RAISING HIM FROM THE DEAD."

The physics of the Mystery of Godliness...
Rest = Force = Resurrection Exodus 31:17.

My 'physics', yes, of which I am not ashamed as I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So, then we agree that:
  • Jesus died on Nisan 14 (Preparation day aka "Friday"),
  • was buried before the Sabbath began and rested in the tomb throughout the Sabbath (Nisan 15 aka "Saturday") without His flesh seeing corruption,
  • and then arose the day following the Sabbath (Nisan 16 aka "Sunday"),
with His body miraculously preserved from corruption over the Sabbath hours, a NT "antitype" to the OT "type" which was the manna that was also miraculously preserved during the Sabbath hours as well, or have I missed something?

You have <missed> that we do not <agree that: Jesus died on Nisan 14 (Preparation day aka "Friday")>.
It is not known to you that the Gospels follow the Torah, that: Jesus died on Nisan 14 "Preparation Day OF THE PASSOVER" 2Chronicles 39 John 13:1,30; 28:18; 19:14-30 Mark 14:12-15:41 Matthew 26:17-27:56 Luke 22:7-23:49 1Corinthians 11:23.

You have <missed> that Jesus was Buried <without His flesh seeing corruption> AT ALL TIME of his Suffering Dying Death, Nisan 14.

You have <missed> Jesus was “Prepared for to be Buried” as well as buried "That Day great day of sabbath" of the passover John 19:31 aka Nisan 15;

You have <missed> that Jesus was FINISHED <buried before the Sabbath began>, "That Day the Preparation the Sabbath mid-afternoon approaching" Luke 23:54 John 19:42 aka Nisan 15;

And you have <missed> that Jesus <rested in the tomb> through the Sabbath until the angel cast the stone from the tomb "mid-afternoon on the Sabbath before the First Day", 3 hours before sunset, Nisan 16 aka "Saturday".

Last edited: