Jesus Is Our Truth, Reward, And Faithfulness So We Can Lie, Steal, and Fornicate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only read the post to which I responded. I did not read the rest of the thread which was not addressed to me. You should respond to individuals rather than to everyone as if everyone was the same. We are not.

It’s All good

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure how a text that testifies to the divinity and Sonship of Jesus erases the Ten Commandments or changes the Sabbath from the seventh day to the first.

The papacy takes credit for that, and to Sunday keeping "Protestants", the papacy says these "pay HOMAGE to the papacy, in spite of themselves". The Papacy absolutely calls out any "Protestant" who keeps Sunday as a child angry at his parent, a participant in a false rebellion, and a reverent subject to Papal authority...because though the Protestant claims "the Bible and the Bible alone", they proudly declare with absolute accuracy that there's no evidence for such a change in Scripture, and boast that they themselves are responsible for the change, which they are.

Christ and His church are one acts 9:4
If Christ has authority (Matt 28:18 all authority) to change the commandments Matt 5 then his church has authority too Jn 20:21-23 same as Christ who founded the one holy church on peter and the papacy Matt 16:18
Bible alone is not biblical
Acts 2:42 acts 8 1 Tim 3:15

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Christian obligated to keep the Ten Commandments or at liberty to break them?
There is no third option.
What happens if a Christian sins? (breaks one of the commandments)
(I am confused my your meaning of "obligated"; does he cease to be a Christian?)

obligated (transitive verb): to bind legally or morally; borrowed from Latin obligātus, past participle of obligāre "to tie up, restrain by tying, place under a legal or moral constraint"
  • are we "tied up" by the Ten Commandments?
  • I do not refrain from STEALING because I am LEGALLY CONSTRAINED from stealing. That implies that if God allowed me to steal, then I would happily steal all that I could without giving a thought for how it would impact "loving God and loving others".

"There is no third option." This is a logical fallacy from the "false presumption" group called the "False Dilemma fallacy".

This is sometimes referred to as the "Fallacy of the Excluded Middle" because it can occur as a misapplication of the Law of the Excluded Middle. This "law of logic" stipulates that with any proposition, it must be either true or false; a "middle" option is "excluded". When there are two propositions, and you can demonstrate that either one or the other must logically be true, then it is possible to argue that the falsehood of one logically entails the truth of the other.

That, however, is a tough standard to meet - it can be very difficult to demonstrate that among a given range of statements (whether two or more), one of them absolutely has to be correct. It certainly isn't something which can simply be taken for granted, but this is precisely what the False Dilemma Fallacy tends to do. - LINK

Stating "there is no third option" does not automatically make it true.
As soon as you clarify "OBLIGATED", I can respond to your original question.

"Is the Christian obligated to keep the Ten Commandments or at liberty to break them?"

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If he was talking about the same law, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...but if he was referring to TWO DIFFERENT LAWS -- the Ten Commandments WHICH HE WAS when he said "holy", but the Mosaic law of the priesthood when he said "carnal" -- then those references make perfect sense.
You need to reread Paul since you missed what he actually SAID about the Ten Commandments (like "Thou shall not covet").

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What happens if a Christian sins? (breaks one of the commandments)
(I am confused my your meaning of "obligated"; does he cease to be a Christian?)

obligated (transitive verb): to bind legally or morally; borrowed from Latin obligātus, past participle of obligāre "to tie up, restrain by tying, place under a legal or moral constraint"
  • are we "tied up" by the Ten Commandments?
  • I do not refrain from STEALING because I am LEGALLY CONSTRAINED from stealing. That implies that if God allowed me to steal, then I would happily steal all that I could without giving a thought for how it would impact "loving God and loving others".

"There is no third option." This is a logical fallacy from the "false presumption" group called the "False Dilemma fallacy".

This is sometimes referred to as the "Fallacy of the Excluded Middle" because it can occur as a misapplication of the Law of the Excluded Middle. This "law of logic" stipulates that with any proposition, it must be either true or false; a "middle" option is "excluded". When there are two propositions, and you can demonstrate that either one or the other must logically be true, then it is possible to argue that the falsehood of one logically entails the truth of the other.

That, however, is a tough standard to meet - it can be very difficult to demonstrate that among a given range of statements (whether two or more), one of them absolutely has to be correct. It certainly isn't something which can simply be taken for granted, but this is precisely what the False Dilemma Fallacy tends to do. - LINK

Stating "there is no third option" does not automatically make it true.
As soon as you clarify "OBLIGATED", I can respond to your original question.

"Is the Christian obligated to keep the Ten Commandments or at liberty to break them?"

you confess your sins to the apostles Jn 20:21-23

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you confess your sins to the apostles John 20:21-23
So close ... missed it by inches:

John 20:21-23 [NKJV]
21 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."​
  • The Apostles are dead (well, technically, they are alive, but they are not among us any longer).
  • Confess to God and your fellow saints.

James 5:13-18 [NKJV]
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess [your] trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.​

1 John 1:5-10 [NKJV]
5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.​

1 John 2:1-2 [NKJV]
1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
Revelation 3:19-21 [NKJV]
19 "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 "To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.​

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dead Works not faith and works in grace and Christ.

heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

21 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."​
  • The Apostles are dead (well, technically, they are alive, but they are not among us any longer).
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess [your] trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.​

5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.​

1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
19 "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 "To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.​

matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) until the end
No apostles no church no salvation

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have to remember, He thinks his church is perfect. they can do or say no wrong. So no matter what anyone tells him, he will blindly follow them.

No matter how much evidence he sees.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have to remember, He thinks his church is perfect. they can do or say no wrong. So no matter what anyone tells him, he will blindly follow them.

No matter how much evidence he sees.

1st I don’t have a church only Christ does, Christ and His church are one acts 9:4 so to attact the church is to attack Christ
If the church is not perfect then Christ is not perfect
From
MORTALIUM ANIMOS
ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS XI
ON RELIGIOUS UNITY
I suggest you read it, or hear it in you tube

...During the lapse of centuries, the mystical Spouse of Christ has never been contaminated, nor can she ever in the future be contaminated, as Cyprian bears witness: "The Bride of Christ cannot be made false to her Spouse: she is incorrupt and modest. She knows but one dwelling, she guards the sanctity of the nuptial chamber chastely and modestly."[20] The same holy Martyr with good reason marveled exceedingly that anyone could believe that "this unity in the Church which arises from a divine foundation, and which is knit together by heavenly sacraments, could be rent and torn asunder by the force of contrary wills."[21] For since the mystical body of Christ, in the same manner as His physical body, is one,[22] compacted and fitly joined together,[23] it were foolish and out of place to say that the mystical body is made up of members which are disunited and scattered abroad: whosoever therefore is not united with the body is no member of it, neither is he in communion with Christ its head.[24]

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15
I would look up all those verses ... but I already know that "and their successors" comes from TRADITION rather than SCRIPTURE.
There is really no point in reliving the Reformation and revisiting the 5 Solas. The RCC cleaned up the rampant political corruption that NECESSITATED a revolt, and we will have to wait to talk to Jesus before we agree on the relative importance of Scripture and Tradition (which is the rock upon which the modern split rests). You have a better chance of reconciling with the Orthodox Catholics that simply reject Petrine Overlord-ship among the Apostles.

For now, you should honor God by honoring your traditional leaders and I should honor God by honoring His word without "calling any man father" (Matthew 23:9) as I follow my "weaker faith" (Romans 14)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1st I don’t have a church only Christ does, Christ and His church are one acts 9:4 so to attact the church is to attack Christ
If the church is not perfect then Christ is not perfect
From
MORTALIUM ANIMOS
ON RELIGIOUS UNITY
I suggest you read it, or hear it in you tube

...During the lapse of centuries, the mystical Spouse of Christ has never been contaminated, nor can she ever in the future be contaminated, as Cyprian bears witness: "The Bride of Christ cannot be made false to her Spouse: she is incorrupt and modest. She knows but one dwelling, she guards the sanctity of the nuptial chamber chastely and modestly."[20] The same holy Martyr with good reason marveled exceedingly that anyone could believe that "this unity in the Church which arises from a divine foundation, and which is knit together by heavenly sacraments, could be rent and torn asunder by the force of contrary wills."[21] For since the mystical body of Christ, in the same manner as His physical body, is one,[22] compacted and fitly joined together,[23] it were foolish and out of place to say that the mystical body is made up of members which are disunited and scattered abroad: whosoever therefore is not united with the body is no member of it, neither is he in communion with Christ its head.[24]
I rest my case. Thank you for proving me right

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would look up all those verses ... but I already know that "and their successors" comes from TRADITION rather than SCRIPTURE.
There is really no point in reliving the Reformation and revisiting the 5 Solas. The RCC cleaned up the rampant political corruption that NECESSITATED a revolt, and we will have to wait to talk to Jesus before we agree on the relative importance of Scripture and Tradition (which is the rock upon which the modern split rests). You have a better chance of reconciling with the Orthodox Catholics that simply reject Petrine Overlord-ship among the Apostles.

For now, you should honor God by honoring your traditional leaders and I should honor God by honoring His word without "calling any man father" (Matthew 23:9) as I follow my "weaker faith" (Romans 14)

Successors of Moses!

Matt 23 why does Jesus say to obey the successors of Moses?

The successors of Moses sit in the chair of Moses having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Matt 23 and Jesus commanded them to be obeyed! Then the kingdom was taken from them matt 21:43 and given to Peter, Matt 16:18 the apostles, Matt 18:18 and their successors with the authority of the keys and the power to bind and lose!

Jesus said to obey the authority of the successors of Moses mt 23 authority of the keys and power to bind and loose and this power and authority was taken from them matt and given by Christ to Peter, the apostles and their successors, mt 16:18 18:18 this same authority and power must be obeyed!

mt 28:18-20 all authority is given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors requiring obedience, rom 1:5 obedience to the faith!
And Jesus say to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: behold I am with you even until the end of the world!!!
So the apostles have to remain until the end! Revelation 5:10
And hast made us unto our God kings and Priests: and we shall reign on the earth. Reign with kingdom authority (keys) power (bind loose) matt 16:18
The successors of Peter and the apostles have a valid jurisdictional authority (keys) and power (bind and loose) by Jesus Christ!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

apostolic succession!

explicit and implicit in scripture

Judas was an apostle
Acts 1:17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

acts 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Matthias succeeded him as apostle

acts 1: 26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

now if it applies to judas how much more to Peter and the other apostles

Matt 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus is with His church and His apostles until the end! So the apostles must remain until the end governing the church administering the kingdom

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: (jurisdictional authority of the universal church) and the power to bind and loose:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Isa 22 prime minister called father!
Holding the keys of the kingdom under the king Lk 1:32-33 in the line of david!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) in his church until the end

.... 10. So, Venerable Brethren, it is clear why this Apostolic See has never allowed its subjects to take part in the assemblies of non-Catholics: for the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it, for in the past they have unhappily left it. To the one true Church of Christ, we say, which is visible to all, and which is to remain, according to the will of its Author, exactly the same as He instituted it. During the lapse of centuries, the mystical Spouse of Christ has never been contaminated, nor can she ever in the future be contaminated, as Cyprian bears witness: "The Bride of Christ cannot be made false to her Spouse: she is incorrupt and modest. She knows but one dwelling, she guards the sanctity of the nuptial chamber chastely and modestly."[20] The same holy Martyr with good reason marveled exceedingly that anyone could believe that "this unity in the Church which arises from a divine foundation, and which is knit together by heavenly sacraments, could be rent and torn asunder by the force of contrary wills."[21] For since the mystical body of Christ, in the same manner as His physical body, is one,[22] compacted and fitly joined together,[23] it were foolish and out of place to say that the mystical body is made up of members which are disunited and scattered abroad: whosoever therefore is not united with the body is no member of it, neither is he in communion with Christ its head.[24]

MORTALIUM ANIMOS

ON RELIGIOUS UNITY

you should read the whole document with scripture reference

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Successors of Moses!

Matt 23 why does Jesus say to obey the successors of Moses?

The successors of Moses sit in the chair of Moses having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Matt 23 and Jesus commanded them to be obeyed! Then the kingdom was taken from them matt 21:43 and given to Peter, Matt 16:18 the apostles, Matt 18:18 and their successors with the authority of the keys and the power to bind and lose!

Jesus said to obey the authority of the successors of Moses mt 23 authority of the keys and power to bind and loose and this power and authority was taken from them matt and given by Christ to Peter, the apostles and their successors, mt 16:18 18:18 this same authority and power must be obeyed!

mt 28:18-20 all authority is given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors requiring obedience, rom 1:5 obedience to the faith!
And Jesus say to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: behold I am with you even until the end of the world!!!
So the apostles have to remain until the end! Revelation 5:10
And hast made us unto our God kings and Priests: and we shall reign on the earth. Reign with kingdom authority (keys) power (bind loose) matt 16:18
The successors of Peter and the apostles have a valid jurisdictional authority (keys) and power (bind and loose) by Jesus Christ!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

apostolic succession!

explicit and implicit in scripture

Judas was an apostle
Acts 1:17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

acts 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Matthias succeeded him as apostle

acts 1: 26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

now if it applies to judas how much more to Peter and the other apostles

Matt 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus is with His church and His apostles until the end! So the apostles must remain until the end governing the church administering the kingdom

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: (jurisdictional authority of the universal church) and the power to bind and loose:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Isa 22 prime minister called father!
Holding the keys of the kingdom under the king Lk 1:32-33 in the line of david!
SMH

the high priest who crucified Christ was the successor of Moses

open your mind man. I beg of you

Reactions: atpollard

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Ronald Nolette,

Though I understand your use of the figure of a physician: Paul himself was no physician, either physical or spiritual, but He was the Apostle of the risen Christ, and as such spoke with the Authority of God the Father and of Christ, by Whom He was chosen and equipped for the service he performed, he was only Their mouthpiece, doing Their will, by God's grace. He of all men knew that in his flesh there was no good thing: not where the things of God were concerned.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I know and agree. It was simply a metaphor to sho whow adept Paul was in Gods wisdom in giving the right spiritual answer to the spiritual problem he was facing in the churches he wrote and visited.

Reactions: charity