• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just confirmed my point: the Life Application Bible is NOT an academic commentary on the Epistle of James! What it says about intellectual assent is true, but irrelevant to the point of the rhetorical question in 2:14, which requires the answer No, faith without works cannot save you. That is simple grammar of which you are obvious.
What you mean is that it is not a Catholic commentary on the epistle of James.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you mean is that it is not a Catholic commentary on the epistle of James.

Duh, no, it is a Bible, not a Commentary entirely devoted to the Epistle of James. Academic commentaries just on James discuss the Greek nuance in detail. "Works"(Greek: "erga") never refers to mental calculation, but always to moral or physical effort. Period. You are the posterboy for how desperately one needs knowledge of Greek to argue these points at issue. Therefore, you are not worth debating.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoever posted the post in question containing the story about that "saint" deleted it.

I have tried the following words in the search engine, and it takes into account variations in the words:

healing, miracles, raped, and saint.

Nothing.

I think I know why it was deleted: because it puts the Catholic Church into disrepute and that was not the intention of the poster.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Duh, no, it is a Bible, not a Commentary entirely devoted to the Epistle of James. Academic commentaries just on James discuss the Greek nuance in detail. "Works"(Greek: "erga") never refers to mental calculation, but always to moral or physical effort. Period. You are the posterboy for how desperately one needs knowledge of Greek to argue these points at issue. Therefore, you are not worth debating.

Here is something from an "academic commentary"....Jon Courson's Application Commentary of the New Testament:

On James 2:14-26 Jon Courson writes:

"Arguing that faith without works is dead, the book of James so incensed Martin Luther that the reformer called it the "veritable straw Epistle that should be thrown into the Rhine River." yet James proves that faith without works is dead by pointing to the example of Abraham. It's not that Abraham was saved by taking Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice him in obedience to God. No, James says the work that saved Abraham took place years before when he simply believed in God (verse 23).

When was Abraham declared righteous? As James quotes Genesis 15:6, we understand that Abraham was declared righteous when he simply believed God would do what He said He would do when He told Abraham He would make his descendants more numerable than the sand on the seashore. Interestingly, Paul would also point to Abraham as proof that man is justified by faith apart from works (Romans 4:3).

James and Paul are in full agreement because they both maintain that the moment Abraham simply believed God was the moment God imputed righteousness to him.

It is not faith and works that save a man. It is not faith or works. It is faith that works. All Abraham was doing on Mount Moriah was showing the reality of what had taken place in his life years earlier when he simply believed God.

If your faith is real, it will show itself. How? By obeying the word of God and following the leading of the Lord, even though you may not understand where it will lead. At the time, Abraham could not have understood the significance of what he had done on Mount Moriah. But this side of Calvary, we see it as a perfect picture of what God the Father would do in sending His Son to that same mountain to die for the sins of the world.

You know you're truly born again when you find yourself obeying God. We're not saved by obedience. But obedience proves we're saved, for true faith works."

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics preach and believe a “ Perverted Gospel” because as the Book Of Galatians plainly reveals—- they ADD to Paul’s Gospel Of Grace Plus Nothing. Paul said in 1Cor.15:1-4 That If you since Believe that Jesus died for your Sins and rose from the Grave- you would be Saved . ALL of Him....NONE of us . It’s all about what God did for man- NOT what we do for God.
A False Gospel, a Perverted Gospel is one that tries to add human merit ( religion ) to what Jesus alone accomplished at the Cross.Paul makes clear in Galatians that if you try to be a “ Co-Savior” , maintaining that the Finished Work Of The Cross is not enough— you gotta do “ your” part also because the Blood Of Jesus was just not Adequate to get the Job Of Salvation done, you are “ Fallen From Grace”.Anybody that adds to the Gospel , as ALL that adhere to catholic Doctrine and also all the Protestants That say “ Jesus Saves— BUT!” are ALL Fallen From Grace and “ Severed from the Cross Of Christ. VERY Serious stuff !
Infant baptism , the taking of the Sacraments, confession of sins before fellow sinful priests ( probably MORE sinful than the one doing the cinfessing) ...... I believe there are about Seven “ hoops” the Confused Catholics make you jump through in order to be Saved......regardless, they are ALL false additions to Paul’s Gospel Of Grace and at best your Walk Of Faith is an insecure, Crippled Walk and at the worst , you May have forfeited Salvation itself. It all depends on who you listen to.
Please .....one of you Catholics out there.....please explain to me how you Believe one “ falls from Grace”..... and base it on what the Bible says....not your “ traditions of men”.......You May want to read Galatians first—- it was written for YOU....

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As soon as YOU stop whining about something - then claim you didn't whine about it . . .

Is it just you personally or your religious doctrine that promotes making up lies, attributing your lies to others?

You promoting anti catholicism seems to be succeeding!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, as I showed you - that Church was being called "The Catholic Church" by the ends of the FIRST century.

It is True, in early appointments of Bishops to the Churches, not all attendees to the Churches took on the Bishops teaching without Questions.
Apparently in Antioch, Appointed Bishop Ignatius, couldn't satisfy a great number of Church attendees with Answers...and thus Ignatius introduced the concept of A "monarchical Bishop"...
How handy!
Making his "word Absolute", Without Question, and "tagging ANYONE", in disagreement, a "Heretic"...
similar to your mode of operation...
In that: anyone who does not agree with you; is a "heretic", or as you prefer most often to name-call...an "anti-catholic".

That is a Slick set-up.
Except that...with such self-Appointed Authority, it is Blatenly obvious; the congregation is Pledging Allegience To a church, Headed by men over a course of centuries, that have MADE UP Doctrines, OUTSIDE the Scope of Scripture, and the congregants, are indoctrinated from the cradle, to adhere to the Doctrines of men, while waving their Banner, "that the Scripture just is NOT sufficient"!

Thanks for putting so much emphasis on the Early church of catholicism and Ignatius, and his failure to Convert men to Christianity, without establishing the position of Bishop, as a monarchical position.
The Catholic pope, Vatican, anti-Scripture only, the Umpteen Doctrines and teachings OUTSIDE of Scripture, indoctrination from the cradle, establishment of "catholic schools", requiring pledges of Allegience to the Catholic Church (and Its "holy father"), the insider secrets, the collecting of historical documents, the disappointments (monkey wrench) when the Public at Large learned to Read, and Bibles widely available, the Name-calling, to those who will not yield to the monarchy of men...is so much clearer!

UGH!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't remember the name of the "saint" in particular...but the story was related recently on these very boards...and I have better things to do than to search out the post where the story was related. I'm surprised that you are not aware of the actual story.

I will not "admit" that I'm "lying"...because I am not lying.

That is the bottom line.

Do you not yet know...if you do not Agree with BOL...you must be wrong and lying?
:rolleyes:

Eh, stick with the Truth who IS Jesus and let BOL stick with a man made monarchy.

Glory to God,
Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it just you personally or your religious doctrine that promotes making up lies, attributing your lies to others?

You promoting anti catholicism seems to be succeeding!
If my exposing your idiotic claims offends you - then don't make idiotic claims.
It's that simple . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is True, in early appointments of Bishops to the Churches, not all attendees to the Churches took on the Bishops teaching without Questions.
Apparently in Antioch, Appointed Bishop Ignatius, couldn't satisfy a great number of Church attendees with Answers...and thus Ignatius introduced the concept of A "monarchical Bishop"...

How handy!
Making his "word Absolute", Without Question, and "tagging ANYONE", in disagreement, a "Heretic"...
similar to your mode of operation...
In that: anyone who does not agree with you; is a "heretic", or as you prefer most often to name-call...an "anti-catholic".

That is a Slick set-up.
Except that...with such self-Appointed Authority, it is Blatenly obvious; the congregation is Pledging Allegience To a church, Headed by men over a course of centuries, that have MADE UP Doctrines, OUTSIDE the Scope of Scripture, and the congregants, are indoctrinated from the cradle, to adhere to the Doctrines of men, while waving their Banner, "that the Scripture just is NOT sufficient"!

Thanks for putting so much emphasis on the Early church of catholicism and Ignatius, and his failure to Convert men to Christianity, without establishing the position of Bishop, as a monarchical position.
The Catholic pope, Vatican, anti-Scripture only, the Umpteen Doctrines and teachings OUTSIDE of Scripture, indoctrination from the cradle, establishment of "catholic schools", requiring pledges of Allegience to the Catholic Church (and Its "holy father"), the insider secrets, the collecting of historical documents, the disappointments (monkey wrench) when the Public at Large learned to Read, and Bibles widely available, the Name-calling, to those who will not yield to the monarchy of men...is so much clearer!

UGH!
Well, you're right about ONE thing - the Early Church was an unruly atmosphere. There WERE those who didn't adhere to the Church's teachings, as we see in Paul's Letters to the Corinthians. However, your fairy tales about Ignatius of Antioch don't bolster your position . . .

As for what an "anti-Catholic is - it's NOT a person who simply "disagrees" with Catholic teaching. Anti-Catholics are people like YOU and others here who have to LIE to make your arguments instead of simply "disagreeing". There are several people here who don't fit that description like @amadeus, @Helen and others . They can disagree WITHOUT resorting to lies.

Finally - your knowledge of history is as pathetic as your knowledge of Scripture. The "public at large" didn't learn to read until the latter part of the 19th century. In fact - it wasn't until the 20th century that the majority of people were literate.
When are you finally going to do your homework??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you not yet know...if you do not Agree with BOL...you must be wrong and lying?

Eh, stick with the Truth who IS Jesus and let BOL stick with a man made monarchy.

Glory to God,
Taken
No - I only accuse those who LIE of lying . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not faith and works that save a man. It is not faith or works. It is faith that works.
Congratulations - you agree with the Catholic Church. There's hope for you yet.

Unfortunately, the rest of your post was full of holes - but this part is right on.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so...

The obvious source of these miracles is not the Holy Spirit but a connection with the realm of the dead.
This is PRECISELY what Jesus referred to as "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" that will NOT be forgiven (Matt. 12:31).
The Pharisees ALSO attributed His works to the Devil . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If my exposing your idiotic claims offends you - then don't make idiotic claims.
It's that simple . . .

You made the stupid claim, then disagreed with yourself...that's idoitic. <--- LOL.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - I only accuse those who LIE of lying . . .

Except, on a few occasions, you have accused people of lying who were not lying.

Congratulations - you agree with the Catholic Church.

Or, perhaps is is more accurate that the Catholic Church agrees with me...

But taking one of my statements out of the context of the rest of them and saying that the context of my statement is untrue while my statement is...means that you are not honestly assessing my statements.