JESUS, MIGHTY GOD (EL GIBBOR/GIBHOR)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
JESUS, MIGHTY GOD (EL GIBBOR/GIBHOR) - Are you growing weary and losing heart? (cf Heb 12:3b+, Gal 6:9+) Are you facing some seemingly insurmountable "mountain" of difficulty? Is there some "impossible situation" in a relationship with your spouse, a family member, a friend, a co-worker, etc? I am facing such a situation even as I write these words!

Whenever God allows us to experience circumstances we think are too difficult, we need to fix our eyes on Jesus the Author and Perfecter of our faith, choosing to consider Him Who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that we may not grow weary and lose heart. (Heb 12:2-3+) The Greek word for "fixing" (aphorao in Heb 12:2+) literally means to turn our eyes away from those things which are nearby (e.g., our difficulties) and instead to steadfastly fix them on something else, in this case SOMEONE else!

And one of the best ways to fix our eyes on Jesus is by meditating on the manifold truths inherent in Messiah's many majestic Names. As Jeremiah testified "No one is like You, O LORD. You are great, and Your Name is MIGHTY in power." (Jer 10:6NIV+) May our Father enable us by His "Spirit of grace" (Heb 10:29b+) to turn our eyes away from our difficulty and instead to focus steadfastly on Messiah's great Name MIGHTY GOD. Amen. Indeed, this great Name, EL GIBBOR, is for all of us in great need - He is now and forever our MIGHTY GOD, the One Who is eternally "MIGHTY TO SAVE" (see Zeph 3:17ESV+ below).

In one of most familiar Messianic Prophecies, Isaiah writes "a Child will be born to us, a Son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His Name will be called Wonderful Counselor, MIGHTY GOD (EL GIBBOR), Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." (Isa 9:6+) Isaiah describes Messiah as the One Who has the wisdom to counsel (govern) and the MIGHT to carry it out.

Isaiah follows in the next chapter with a prophecy alluding to the future restoration of Israel when "A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob (Jews who believe in Messiah), to the MIGHTY GOD (EL GIBBOR)." (Isa 10:21+). This Mighty God is Jesus, Who in His first advent came in meekness "to proclaim the favorable year of the LORD," (Isaiah 61:2a+, Lk 4:19+) but Who will return in majesty, as MIGHTY GOD, in "the day of vengeance of our God." (Isaiah 61:2b+)

He is the MIGHTY GOD, the divine Warrior Who conquers every foe, including our mortal enemies, sin (Ro 6:10-11-note, Ro 8:3+), death (1Cor 15:55-57+) and the devil (Heb 2:14,15+).

Yeshua, our MIGHTY GOD will return (SOON AND VERY SOON) as victorious Warrior Who will avenge all wrongs (you can rest in that truth beloved! Read Ro 12:17,18,19+, cf Rev 6:10+), "clothed with a robe dipped in blood and His Name is called The Word of God.

And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him (EL GIBBOR) on white horses (this is YOU dear saint, read Rev 17:14+ = "those who are with Him [when He returns to wage war] are the called and chosen and faithful!"). And from His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may smite the nations; and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the winepress of the fierce wrath of God, the ALMIGHTY (Rev 1:8+ = Jesus). And on His robe and on His thigh He has a Name written, "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." (Rev 19:13-16+) "All hail the pow’r of Jesus' Name (Mighty God)! Let angels prostate fall; Bring forth the royal diadem, And crown Him Lord of all. Bring forth the royal diadem, And crown Him Lord of all!"

Adrian Rogers recalls a story from Robert Louis Stevenson about passengers who were on a ship in a severe storm and in imminent danger of sinking. The passengers were whispering "Are we going down? Are we safe?" One passenger said, "I've got to find out," so he made his way topside across the heaving decks, to the pilot house, where the pilot of the ship had his hand firmly on the wheel.

The pilot turned and saw the fear in the passenger's face and just smiled at him, not even speaking a word. On arriving below the once fearful passenger exclaimed "We're going be all right. I've seen the face of the pilot, and he smiled at me." What we need to do when we are crippled by fear caused by difficult circumstances is look away from the "stormy waves" and into the serene face of our Jesus, our MIGHTY GOD, the One Who is always mighty to save.

We need to see the reassuring smile of our Savior Who alone is able to calm the storms simply by speaking these words to our heart - "Peace, be still!" (Mk 4:39KJV+) But remember that while our MIGHTY GOD may calm the storm around us, more often He will calm the storm within us! Rogers went on to conclude "And I can tell you, friend, that He has sailed rougher seas than the one that you're in right now!" Corrie ten Boom said "Look at the world—you'll be distressed. Look within—you'll be depressed. Look at Christ—you'll be at rest." God grant us grace to sing and pray this great old hymn - "Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah, Pilgrim through this barren land. I am weak, but Thou art MIGHTY; Hold me with Thy powerful hand… Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer, Be Thou still my Strength and Shield."