Jesus Wept

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would be curious to know how you arrive at that conclusion. Remember, He was fully human and experienced the very same emotions as everyone else.
He also knew He was going to raise him up. That's why He waited for him to die. No need to cry.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read the passage. After the two sisters came to him and said what they did he groaned within his spirit. Why because they still didn’t understand. He wept for that reason. Not because the death.

Reactions: Jlentz

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear sermons how Christ cried because Lazarus died. Jesus Wept because of the people's unbelief.

I would be curious to know how you arrive at that conclusion. Remember, He was fully human and experienced the very same emotions as everyone else.
So why did Jesus advise these women to change the focus of their weeping?

"And there followed him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented him.
But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.
Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us." Luke 23:27-30

When Jesus wept [John 11:35], was he not weeping as he advised those women to weep?

Don't cry for Jesus because of his suffering and his resultant death. Rather weep because too many people really do not care about what Jesus did for them and for their children. That they do not is seen when we look around us and our corrupted society which many want to call Christian. Is it full of the Life of God or the death that men chose beginning and Adam and Eve and continue to choose today? Death more abundantly as @byrrd009 would call it!

Remember what Jesus said here?

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die..." John 11:25-26

Martha did not understand!
Do we?

Last edited:

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He also knew He was going to raise him up. That's why He waited for him to die. No need to cry.

Then answer me this. Why do we cry when a saved loved one dies? We know they're going to Heaven and we know that we're going to see them again, so does that mean we shouldn't still mourn and weep from the loss? Also, He was probably weeping for Lazarus' sisters as well.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

He obviously knew Lazarus would be raised, but the fact of the matter remains that Lazarus' life ended. That would still cause anyone to be upset, even if Lazarus was to be raised again. I don't see why it would necessarily change how He felt.

Reactions: April_Rose

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear sermons how Christ cried because Lazarus died. Jesus Wept because of the people's unbelief.

Obviously Jesus knew that his friend would be brought back to life, as he was going there to wake him up. No doubt, the doubt among Jesus' friends would trouble him, but the sadness of those who lost Lazarus had to play on a loving man's heart. It is like crying during a sad movie, seeing the pain of those suffering loss, brings any loving person to tears.

That is one of the downfalls of being a person of love, it really hurts to see the suffering of any other live being, the more loving an individual is, the more hurtful I would venture to say.