John 3.16: Simple Gospel truth and profound theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is a lot of verses to this effect. such as who sent the Holy Spirit? the Father or the Son? and it was not both of them.

PICJAG.
Jesus indicated that the Holy Spirit came from the Father, but also indicated that all things that were the Father’s are His so that He would send the Holy Spirit.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;"
John 14:16

Hi 101,
Seems to me that it is the Father who sent His own Holy Spirit to dwell with us until the job is done! :)
. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine; this is why I said that He takes from Mine and will disclose it to you. John 16:15

27 All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son determines to reveal Him. Matthew 11:27

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have been deceived friend.

the Greek word for universal or world is where we get the word catholic!

See the lesson here?

Major covenants!

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Greek word for universal or world is where we get the word catholic!

See the lesson here?

Major covenants!

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)
I know what the greek word for world is.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is written to Believers, John when writing to Believers in His epistle 1 Jn 4:9-11 wrote:

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us[Believers], because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we[Believers] might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we[Believers] loved God, but that he loved us[Believers], and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our[believers] sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us[Believers], we ought also to love one another[Believers].

1 Jn 3:16

16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us[Believers]: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren[Believers].

These scriptures from John, the same one who wrote Jn 3:16, should help us understand who exactly God so Loved in Jn 3:16. It surely wasnt for every individual without exception was this love of God demonstrated, but uniquely for Believers, His Sheep, the Body of Christ see Eph 5:25 !

TahitiRun

Feb 28, 2022
AtlanticCoast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is written to Believers......
Yes, and all are/will be believers:

Luk 12:2 But there is nothing covered up, that shall not be revealed, and hid, that shall not be known.

1Ti 2:4 who would have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth.

Php 2:10 that in the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of things in heaven and things on earth and things under the earth,
Php 2:11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Rom 10:9 because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is written to Believers, John when writing to Believers in His epistle 1 Jn 4:9-11 wrote:

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us[Believers], because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we[Believers] might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we[Believers] loved God, but that he loved us[Believers], and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our[believers] sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us[Believers], we ought also to love one another[Believers].

1 Jn 3:16

16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us[Believers]: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren[Believers].

These scriptures from John, the same one who wrote Jn 3:16, should help us understand who exactly God so Loved in Jn 3:16. It surely wasnt for every individual without exception was this love of God demonstrated, but uniquely for Believers, His Sheep, the Body of Christ see Eph 5:25 !

Jn 3:16 says world all
Lk 2:10-11 all people

Christ redeemed all Jn 1:29

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The world of John 3:16, the word world kosmos from which comes our english word cosmos meaning:

means "universe". But the word is generally used to suggest an orderly or harmonious universe,

The greek word means:

kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world.

in Greek writings from Homer down, an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order

This denotes Gods Creation in the very beginning but became disrupted by the entrance of sin and causing all the elect to enter the world as sinners as the non elect, however the elect being the most important part. They are the world of people Chosen in Christ Jesus before the foundation Eph 1:4 !

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The world of John 3:16, the word world kosmos from which comes our english word cosmos meaning:

means "universe". But the word is generally used to suggest an orderly or harmonious universe,

The greek word means:

kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world.

in Greek writings from Homer down, an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order

This denotes Gods Creation in the very beginning but became disrupted by the entrance of sin and causing all the elect to enter the world as sinners as the non elect, however the elect being the most important part. They are the world of people Chosen in Christ Jesus before the foundation Eph 1:4 !

Preach it brightfame52
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
GINOLJC to all,
First thanks for the reply, second, our Lord Jesus the Son is not the, "shaliah" for God. he is God himself. this is a false theory of the Unitarian. the Son is God's own "RIGHT ARM". meaning God himself "diversified" in flesh. supportive scripture, Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me."

God's OWN ARM is he himself in flesh. so he's no "shaliah" or any agent for God, but is God. supportive scripture, Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you." and there is ONLY "ONE" God, and that one God came.

PICJAG.
there is ONLY "ONE" God, and that one God came.

בראשית היה הדבר והדבר היה את האלהים ואלהים היה הדבר׃

Bereshis (in the Beginning) was the Dvar Hashem [YESHAYAH 55:11; BERESHIS 1:1], and the Dvar Hashem was agav (along with)God with God... Hashem [MISHLE 8:30; 30:4], and the Dvar Hashem was nothing less, by nature, than Elohim! [Psa 56:11(10); Yn 17:5; Rev. 19:13]
OJB

Rev 19:13 And He is robed in a kaftan dipped in dahm, and His Name is called, “The DVAR HASHEM.” [YESHAYAH 63:2,3]
OJB

J.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word world in Jn 3:16 has been abused by the religious world, to make it mean everyone without exception. The word cannot be given a meaning that ultimately contradicts truth of other scripture. One of the ways the word world kosmos is used in scripture, and it doesnt mean all without exception, and far from it, Jn 12:19

19 The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world is gone after him.

Now do the Pharisees here mean the whole world[every human being] without exception ? Of course not, it would be ridiculous to think that. Now they do mean a large number of people, but even then its within the confines of the palestine region

Corresponding the World of Gods own Elect/Sheep is a large number of people out of many different regions Rev 5:9

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Rev 7:9-10

9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should know by scriptural comparison, that the World in Jn 3:16 that God so Loved isn't the world of men without exception, because Jesus Himself refused to pray for the whole world without exception, note Jn 17:9

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

With this in mind, He didn't die for the world as it is so erroneously stated by the religions of man. If Christ would have loved and died for all the world without exception, He would have prayed for the same Rom 8:33-34

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

and we cannot envisage that Christ should evade to advocate for any, whom he loved so strongly as to give His Blood and Life for ! Eph 5:25-26

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,4

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we go by Jn 17:9 we can understand who Jn 3:16 is, its the world of all those God gave to the Son in Eternal Election, note Jn 17:9

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

The same as spoken of in Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

And this isn't restricted to His then disciples, though it included them outrightly, yet not exclusively, but also those who would believe on Christ through their apostolic testimony, for they were given to Christ as well Jn 17:20

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

This is the World of Jn 3:16 Christ so loved and gave Himself for. Not all without exception !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and Gods Love in Jn 3:16 is no further than to them that believe on Him or who shall believe on Him, for it is those whom He Prays for and no others Jn 17:9,20

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The World of Jn 3:16 isnt all without exception, but its that world of people that He specifically gave His Life for, the World of His Sheep. Notice about His Sheep He says Jn 10:11

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for[hyper] the sheep.

Again Jn 10:15

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for[hyper] the sheep.

The word for hyper means:

in behalf of, for the sake of

Now Jesus says of the World He so loved this Jn 6:51

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for[hyper] the life of the world.

And notice this World that He gives His Life for, Life is applied to it Jn 6:33

For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

His Death applies Life unto the World He died for.

The same is said of the Sheep He died for Jn :10-11,28

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they[Sheep] might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

And I give unto them[Sheep] eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Do you see the correlation between the World and Sheep ? He gives His Life for the World Jn 6 same as for the Sheep Jn 10 and it results in Life Jn 6 for the world, as does for the Sheep in Jn 10

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word world kosmos oft times in the scripture doesnt mean everyone without exception, so its very important to understand the biblical context in which the word world is used before being careless with it. In Jn 12:19 the word is used and most certainly doesnt mean everyone without exception:

19 The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world is gone after him.

Here it can only mean a large amount of the people, it didn't mean here everyone of mankind is gone after Him. I doubt that everyone without exception in that particular land is meant, for even the pharisees among them were excluded from them[the world]that has gone after Him.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@brightfame52
I have never met anyone as sold out to Calvinism as you, not a compliment ! It is a distorted twisted heresy !

There is ignorance and there is willful blindness which equates to just plain lost.

Knowing the scriptures and NOT KNOWING THE WORD, Jesus has already stated equals nothing!