John 6:66 - Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if taking Communion somehow saved a person, Protestants do Communion too. So this is really a meaningless argument.
Very true. The website is not about apostolic succession which is supported by the Bible. It's just about the Bread of Life Discourse.

Would God allow anybody to turn bread and wine into his body and blood? Were there priest in the old testament that were only allowed to perform the sacfrices? - Yes. Those would be the some of the question for succession.

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...who gets the credit for God's Word?? Does He get the credit or man? Sounds like you're giving man the credit.

It's a fact that God used men to write and collate the Bible, but it is of God--HIS WORD! And it's really a miracle that He could use sinful man for this. But this shows His omnipotence and sovereignty, don't you think??

The Church was given binding and losing authority in Matt 16 by Jesus. God works through his Church which are sinful men and women. All credit goes to God of course.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church was given binding and losing authority in Matt 16 by Jesus. God works through his Church which are sinful men and women. All credit goes to God of course.

By "Church," I assume you're referring to the Catholic Church. That is the Catholic Church's interpretation of what Jesus said to the disciples. I believe that His words apply to ALL believers.

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the Catholic Church's interpretation of what Jesus said to the disciples. I believe that His words apply to ALL believers.
So God gives everyone binding and losing authority? So the Methodist church that believes it's okay to have gay sex and fornicate has binding and losing authority? Or the Nontrinitarian christian churches that study the Bible just like you that believe Jesus was not divine? -- have binding and losing authority?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God gives everyone binding and losing authority? So the Methodist church that believes it's okay to have gay sex and fornicate has binding and losing authority? Or the Nontrinitarian christian churches that study the Bible just like you that believe Jesus was not divine? -- have binding and losing authority?
Did I say the Methodist Church??? No, I said BELIEVERS!

I have no doubt that there are plenty of people--leaders and lay--who are not true believers in the Methodist and Catholic churches, and every other denomination, for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would the greatest teacher ever to walk the earth allow his very own disciples to leave him based on a misunderstanding? It makes no sense for him to do this. They understood him correctly but lacked in faith.
He allowed it because they were not really his disciples in that they did not really believe in him (that's what the passage says).

He was weeding out the unbelievers. And he did that by stating something that he knew unbelievers would only be able to understand as literal and would be offended by, which they were. And so it worked. They left.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would God allow anybody to turn bread and wine into his body and blood?
Assuming the elements are changed into the actual blood and body of Christ (which they obviously are not) where do you get from the Bible that this change can only be affected by a priest? Why does it have to be affected by anyone? Can God not do that on his own whenever the wine and the bread are set aside for Communion? Such stupid, meaningless theologies! That's why I despise the Catholic Church. It's just a bunch of cold, dead, meaningless liturgy. I don't even like that when Protestant churches are like that.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I say the Methodist Church??? No, I said BELIEVERS!

I have no doubt that there are plenty of people--leaders and lay--who are not true believers in the Methodist and Catholic churches, and every other denomination, for that matter.
When I got born again and received the Spirit I realized none of the main line churches represent God's true church. The true church is not contained in or by a denomination. When you get born again and you meet with fellow born again believers you realize this. Going to a mainline church is going back to the world. I can never do that again. I will never do that again.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I got born again and received the Spirit I realized none of the main line churches represent God's true church. The true church is not contained in or by a denomination. When you get born again and you meet with fellow born again believers you realize this. Going to a mainline church is going back to the world. I can never do that again. I will never do that again.
Yes, the Spirit in us recognizes the Spirit in others! There is instant fellowship. :)

After being on this forum, I've become completely ANTI-denominational! I have been involved in various denominations over the years, but I would have a hard time with them now. We really need the whole counsel of God's Word, not just pieces of it!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, just wow..
If you had ever been in a Spirit filled meeting of the saints you'd know just how dead the Catholic, and Methodist, and Presbyterian, and so on, liturgy is. Paul's description of a church meeting in 1 Corinthians 14 does not even remotely resemble what we call 'church'. Born again people who have the Spirit of God in them find this out when they start meeting with other born again people in non-denominational meetings who know what real church is like.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had ever been in a Spirit filled meeting of the saints you'd know just how dead the Catholic, and Methodist, and Presbyterian, and so on, liturgy is. Paul's description of a church meeting in 1 Corinthians 14 does not even remotely resemble what we call 'church'. Born again people who have the Spirit of God in them find this out when they start meeting with other born again people in non-denominational meetings who know what real church is like.
I have been in a few churches that actually allowed me to use my main spiritual gift, which is prophecy. Most churches I've attended do NOT allow this gift even though Paul said that it's a gift to be especially desired.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I would not say what you said about any Christian liturgy, however structured...

Who are you to call our worship of our Almighty Father, through Jesus Christ His Son, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,, cold dead and meaningless..

To Whom do you offer sacrifice?

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been in a few churches that actually allowed me to use my main spiritual gift, which is prophecy. Most churches I've attended do NOT allow this gift even though Paul said that it's a gift to be especially desired.
It's even harder now to find a Spirit filled church since even those have been taken over by fakes and lunatics. We are in desperate times now. But I think it's because we are very close to the end.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would not say what you said about any Christian liturgy, however structured...

Who are you to call our worship of our Almighty Father, through Jesus Christ His Son, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,, cold dead and meaningless..

To Whom do you offer sacrifice?

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Look, I don't want to dissuade you from worshipping the way you do. But I know that the liturgy of our so-called churches is not what God had in mind for a meeting of the saints. You can't bring me back over to your way. But there is hope you can be brought over to the true way the people of God meet.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone appreciates the shaking process. Some people object if we are not nice. I do try to be civil.
You can be abrupt and to the point and be civil too.

It's amazing he had the gall to call out Methodist gays with the 2x4 of the Catholic gay, pedophile priests in his own denominational eye. That's civil, but it's also to the point. Sometimes you just don't mince words. But you always remain polite and civil.