Judgment...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
So, I read through so many of these topics, and in nearly every one of them there is a good dose of Christians judging others. Why is that?

We have Christians attacking other Christians based on denominations. There seems to be an all out war against Catholicism that a few here are intent on waging. I don't know a single devout Catholic that doesn't believe that Jesus is the Way to the Father. All of Catholicims practices are meant to venerate the Father. Even if you do not agree with how that is done, it doesn't mean you are the judge and jury of whether their hearts are after God or not.

We have people who judge others here by their political views, and by who votes for who, or if you even vote at all.

There are arguments going on about the validity of the idea of the Trinity...
There are judgments being made against people and their understanding of morals...
There are people here judging others by "fruit", even though most people here have never even had the opportunity to see the people they are judging in action!

I am seeing a very large community of talk, because lets face it, that's what you do on a forum... But in that talk, there is a very great deal of judgment. It is really easy to face a computer monitor, and feel like you have the 'big picture'... It isn't so easy to realize that what you are looking at on the screen is barely part of a pixel in the whole picture of the person you are judging.

Why are so many people so hung up on doctrine here? Do we believe in God or a Book? It seems to me that the Bible has become an idol, replacing words inspired by God for the real thing.

There is allot a Christian community can do on a forum, and I think condemnation should be the least of them. There are real issues that can be discussed and solutions be found here... It is refreshing to see the prayer and support, but it was a few days of being here before I even saw activity in them...

Wouldn't it be a least a bit better if there was more effort to promote ministry and help to those who are not Christian, than it is to continue pointing at who is right and who is wrong?

Reactions: Shirley

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. Ironic as it is, the less a person knows about the focus of their judgment, the more harsh and condemning they judgment tends to be. I like the idea of promoting ministry - I like the thread you started, which addresses this issue.

I have noticed and pointed out in the past that people seem to be more attracted to controversial topics or nuances in doctrine, rather than topics that reflect love and the social gospel. In fact, as hard as it is for me to imagine, the topic of love is routinely mocked and ignored on this board.

So, all I can suggest is that like-minded people might want to contribute and support positive topics even if they are not presented as a dialectic.

Reactions: Shirley and Eltanin

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
Thank you aspen2... That is what I am hoping for... That the positive minded individuals step up and show real action and be an example of what good fruit looks like, not just debate in theory what it is supposed to look like.

Just because a forum is for conversation does not mean that we cannot set real action into motion through a forum. :D

Reactions: aspen

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Judge not" is what Jesus said. Paul said wait to judge. Isaiah said:

13 The Lord arises to contend,
And stands to judge the people.
14 The Lord enters into judgment with the elders and princes of His people,
“It is you who have devoured the vineyard;
The plunder of the poor is in your houses.
15 “What do you mean by crushing My people
And grinding the face of the poor?”
Declares the Lord God of hosts.

In manners of judgment, mercy is always the best prayer to example what was given by Jesus on the cross. Luke 23:34

Knowledge puffs up, pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before stumbling. Arrogance and pride are two evils God deals with swiftly. Judgmental so called christians showcase these evils with the best of them. To judge the fruit one bears is to understand which spirit they exemplify.

Colossians 3:12

12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.

I am thankful for this forum and this thread.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps some of us don't want to go the ecumenical route which ends up compromising truth for the sake of unity.
I will agree though what is wrong is personal attacks rather than doctrinal or ecclesiastical..

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
So, I read through so many of these topics, and in nearly every one of them there is a good dose of Christians judging others. Why is that?

We have Christians attacking other Christians based on denominations. There seems to be an all out war against Catholicism that a few here are intent on waging. I don't know a single devout Catholic that doesn't believe that Jesus is the Way to the Father. All of Catholicims practices are meant to venerate the Father. Even if you do not agree with how that is done, it doesn't mean you are the judge and jury of whether their hearts are after God or not.

We have people who judge others here by their political views, and by who votes for who, or if you even vote at all.

There are judgments being made against people and their understanding of morals...
There are people here judging others by "fruit", even though most people here have never even had the opportunity to see the people they are judging in action!

I am seeing a very large community of talk, because lets face it, that's what you do on a forum... But in that talk, there is a very great deal of judgment. It is really easy to face a computer monitor, and feel like you have the 'big picture'... It isn't so easy to realize that what you are looking at on the screen is barely part of a pixel in the whole picture of the person you are judging.

Why are so many people so hung up on doctrine here? Do we believe in God or a Book? It seems to me that the Bible has become an idol, replacing words inspired by God for the real thing.

There is allot a Christian community can do on a forum, and I think condemnation should be the least of them. There are real issues that can be discussed and solutions be found here... It is refreshing to see the prayer and support, but it was a few days of being here before I even saw activity in them...

Wouldn't it be a least a bit better if there was more effort to promote ministry and help to those who are not Christian, than it is to continue pointing at who is right and who is wrong?

Hi Eltanin. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of that going around! I don't approve of it, but I must confess, much of it I understand.

The heart of the matter comes down to a person's belief or faith....which lets face it, regardless what it is, it's intensely personal and foundational...we see this in the violent reactions of Muslims.

So, when it comes to topics of truth and God people tend to want to defend their beliefs like the world depends on it...because it does....their world and how they see everything...how they live, behave, treat others...everything, depends on their faith.

As Christians we should behave differently from others...we have a reason for love, compassion and acceptance that any other religion...we have a God who loves us so much he died for and then rose..giving us the exact same hope for us...life.

The big problem for Christians comes in many forms! First, we're still human...so we tend to suck. Second, we take verses like "contend for the faith" and take it beyond defence into attack. And third, we confuse open handed doctrines with closed handed ones. We forget that 'speaking in tongues' is not an issue we go to war over and part ways with others over...it's something we can discuss and disagree but maintain friendship and fellowship over.

There are some lines that must be drawn....allowing closed handed doctrines to slide will see a Church move away from the basic truths God has given to us in scripture. Doctrines are important because without them people inject their own thoughts and feelings into what God is telling us....doctrines allow us to let the bible tell us what the bible saying, which is essential.

But I think the main issue is this: Christians can and must stand their grounds by holding to the central truths of the gospel....and that's not by being nasty and detrimental to others...no matter what they believe. It's completely possible to disagree with people...even strongly, but show them love. If we cannot show them what Jesus came to give us, then what on earth is the point in sticking to the truth??

Reactions: Shirley

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
Hi! Everyone
I've been reading this Thread with much enjoyment.
Thank you all for your refreshing thoughts about hasty judgement and subsequent arguing and quarrels.
I dunno' 'bout the rest of you, but it seems to me that most of us have played the selfish superior card at one point or another. But the more we mature in our Christian walk, the more compassionate and understanding and merciful we become. We no longer speak as a child ... no longer throw doctrinal tantrums an' the like.
Yes, it's a fact that discovering and obtaining the truth for ourselves is nothing to be scoffed at. And we should at all times be eager to share our discoveries with others.
I think the problem arises when we begin to take things much too personally. When we start believing that God requires us to protect Him and His Word. Well, God needs no one to protect Him ... DEFEND the truth, yes ... but to protect Him? No.
But defending the truth doesn't mean that we have a godly license to be offensive or rude.
The Word of God was never intended to be used as a flashlight; it was never meant to be used as a carnal weapon to somehow chase the darkness. No. The Word of God is intended to EXPOSE the darkness so that the person can perceive it and triumph over it.
We have to learn how to be gentle with people's hearts and minds. There's enough pain and wounds in our world without our contributing to them.
Funny thing, I often used to say there was none so intolerant as a former smoker.
But the truth is: there is none so intolerant as a former sinner.
I noticed Catholics who participate in these Forums. Years ago, I would have pounced on them in all indignation. But today I view them as fellow travellers on the Christian journey. Yes. it remains true that I can hardly agree with their doctrinal stance (even though I was once a Catholic). But I must determine to have the faith of God for them and believe that God will lead them to additional truths just as He has led me ... God does not favor persons.
To be honest, I know that my own Posts here could easily be deemed heretical by a lot of people in here. What I appreciate most is that those who don't agree with the sentiment of my Post, just ignore them. That's just fine with me. I'd rather they do that then yell and accuse me and disrupt the entire Thread..
You see? I'm not here to convert anyone to what I myself believe. I come here only to share. I don't claim to know the truth and nothing but the truth. All I can hope for is that even a little bit of what I may have Posted might be of some help in one way or another.
Keep Smiling!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Error has no dignity except as a possible motivator to lead us to truth. But if we are not confronted in our error, how can we be motivated to move toward truth?
St. Paul instructs us to judge:
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus who is to judge the living and the dead,… preach the word, be urgent in season and out of season, convince, rebuke, and exhort, be unfailing in patience and in teaching. For a time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths. —2 Timothy 4:2-4

We are to judge the teaching of teachers, the opinions of people, the attitudes and behaviors of people. If we don’t, then we allow sin and Satan to exploit the weak and ignorant and vulnerable with his lies. We are to preach the Truth and rebuke those who assert error—not in an attitude of rock throwing or some sort of controlling self-righteousness, but in a loving attitude of helping the person return to God (2 Timothy 4:2). We are our brothers’ keepers (ref., Mark 12:31; Luke 10:25-37; Matthew 7:12; 18:23-35; Luke 6:31). We have a responsibility to warn and admonish our brethren in the faith, just as we have a responsibility to our blood-brothers to warn them when they go astray because we love them.

St. Paul to the Romans exhorted us to instruct one another (Romans 15:14). To instruct someone necessarily means to evaluate (another word for judge) the one to whom instruction is given.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states (No 1868): “… we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them: by (among several actions on our part) not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so.”

We cannot “disclose” a sin without first assessing (yet another word for judging) that the sin is in fact there in the first place.
In addition, one of the traditional seven Spiritual Works of Mercy is to “Admonish the sinner.”
Again, we cannot admonish that which we refuse to recognize in the sinner. We must make an assessment (judgment) that the person is sinning and thus “needs” admonishment.
All of this sometimes requires “tough love”.

Our model in this tough love is no less that Jesus Himself (who, contrary to popular opinion was not a 60’s flower child with flowers in his hair repeating a mantra of peace and love). Jesus preached a demanding love, a love so demanding that in some cases it would rip apart families:
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law – a man's enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.”
—Matthew 10:34-38

Truth cannot be compromised—even if it makes enemies of our relatives. Some people will not accept the truth and will hate those who preach it. Truth demands judgment; that is, truth demands we see things truthfully and to call things what they are. If we see sin or error, we must call it for what it is.
The Bible is filled with passages talking about how we are to judge others. Before listing some of those, first let us look at the kind of judgment we are not to do.
The most famous of the several “do not judge” passages:

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own…” —Matthew 7:1-3

In this passage we see three kinds of judgment we are not to do:

1. Judgment of Condemnation:
Judgment in this passage is referring to condemning (“pronouncing” judgment on a person’s soul). We are not the “Judge” to pronounce condemnation on anyone (not even ourselves). Only God can do that. The Church, for example, never pronounces “anyone” in hell. And even in the assessment of a person declared a saint, it is done by special dispensation granted to the Church by her authority of the “keys”. But even with this authority, we need to note that it is never applied to judging a person in hell. If the Church, who has the authority of the keys will not judge a person to condemnation, how can we? We are never to judge a person’s state of soul. Jesus tells us that we will receive ourselves the judgment of soul that we place on others if we attempt this usurpation of God’s sovereignty.

2. Judgment from Double–Standards:
When we use double–standards for judgment, apply one measure to others and a different measure to ourselves we commit a sin. Jesus says that we will not get by with that (a form of hypocrisy). The standards we apply to others will be applied to us as well.

3. Judgment from Self-Righteousness:
The last sentence of the passage quoted refers to seeing sins in others but not in oneself. This is self-righteousness (another form of hypocrisy).
In this passage, Jesus does not say that we cannot judge. He says that we are not to judge in the manner of presuming condemnation on another or to make judgments borne from hypocrisy (double-standard & self-righteousness).In verse 5 Jesus continues: You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.”

Taking the speck out of our brother’s eye is not condemned in itself. Hypocritical judgment is what Jesus condemns.
We can immediately see this is the meaning of these passages by going on to the very next verse:
Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under foot and turn to attack you.
Dogs? Swine? How are we to know who is a dog or a swine? We cannot take Jesus’ advice, which is advice for self-protection (e.g. when Jesus said the swine will “turn to attack you”), if we do not judge a person, that is, to identify a person as a metaphorical “dog” or “swine.”
Who are the dogs and swine? Verse 15 gives us one clue when it talks about false prophets who come in sheep’s clothing. Verse 21 Jesus talks about people calling to him, “Lord, Lord” yet some of these will not enter heaven. They will not enter heaven because despite their calling upon the name of the Lord, they are people who refuse to do God’s will.

Verse 26 tells us more about these people. They are people who do not just fail to follow God’s will, but who actively disobey the teachings of Jesus and thus they build their house on sand (and that includes disobeying the Church, who has been given authority to speak infallibly and definitively in Jesus’ name to the faithful—when the Church speaks, Jesus speaks).
Throughout Scripture we are given examples of these dogs and swine and are repeatedly told to shun them, to avoid them, and even to kick them out of our community as to give them up to Satan. In Matthew 10:13-14 Jesus tells the disciples to shake the very dust off their clothes of any city that refuses to listen to them. That requires a judgment.

St. Paul in Titus 3:9-11 tells us to warn a heretic (divisive person) twice and then have nothing more to do with him because such a person is “perverted and sinful; he is self-condemned.” We don’t condemn him, he condemns himself, but we do judge him to be divisive beyond tolerance because we tried to admonish him (judge his behavior and warn him of his sin) twice but he would not repent.

St. Paul commands us in 1 Corinthians 5:9-13 to not associate with people calling themselves Christians who are “guilty of immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or robber—not even to eat with such a one.”
Then Paul actually says and confirms in black and white language in verse 12 without any shades of gray that we are to judge our fellow Christians (but interestingly to not to judge those outside of the church): “Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside.”
We are our brother’s keeper and if we love, we will admonish a brother in sin or error.

St. Paul also tells us in 2 Timothy 3:1-9 that we are to avoid people who are “holding to a form of religion but denying the power of it” (e.g., liberals who strip our Church of its sacramental power). Other we are to avoid include those who are “Lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, fierce, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God…”.
And finally, St. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 5:1-5 that some people must be excommunicated—completely removed from fellowship and handed over to Satan. Paul specifically says, “I have already pronounced judgment in the name of the Lord Jesus on the man who has done such a thing… you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.”

This form of judgment (excommunication), by the way, is one reserved to the Church and is not a personal judgment exacted by the faithful.
Jesus, Himself, calls for this formal judgment on the part of the Church in Matthew 18:15-18.
As we have seen, the idea we are not to judge is a lie.

We cannot judge a person’s state of soul, of course. We cannot condemn him. We are also not to judge out of hypocrisy.
But we are to make proper judgments, borne out of love, to admonish a sinner in order to encourage him to repentance. That is the goal, to save the sinner’s soul, to lead him to repentance. We are to make judgments of behavior, attitudes, and ideas in order to protect our loved-ones and ourselves from danger. People who practice such dangerous and sinful behaviors, or have such dangerous attitudes and ideas, we are to avoid. We cannot avoid them until and unless a judgment has been made that such people are of the type the Bible tells us to avoid.
The idea we are not to judge is a doctrine of demons.

Satan would love us to avoid making judgments. If he can convince us of this, sin can abound without criticism and we could continue in our sin without accountability and the philosophies of Satan can contaminate all of us with impunity unchecked and unchallenged.
Oh, how Satan loves those who think we are not to judge and those who think Jesus was a love-freak hippie from the 60’s.

Three Secret Strategies of Satan

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
We are warnungs of Judgment in the Bible are meant for us as Christians... We are to judge our own actions, and in our actions show fruit... People will be convicted by our ACTIONS, not our words and arguments...

I am sure everyone has had that tinge of guilty when they are in the prescence of someone who is doing right, or doing more, than we are... That is the effective conviction of the Holy Spirit allowing you to judge your own actions by the Word.

The Word was never meant as a tool to comdemn someone else. It was given to us to inspire and direct the reader. Judgment is God's right, not ours.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008

Jesus didn't say not to judge... He said, when you judge... judge in righteousness.
John 7:24 says,

24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with
righteous judgment."

We must learn how to judge before we judge anyone or anything. God judges our
judgment by looking in our hearts to see what our motive is. If we judge someone
incorrectly, God will judge us by our same motive in order to correct us. We will see
how bad judgment feels and we will stop doing it to others.

If we are judging someone to help them overcome something that has them bound,
you should speak it to them IN LOVE... everything should be done with a LOVE
MOTIVE. God knows our intentions because He judges our heart.

Logabe

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can correct someone without judging them.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't say not to judge... He said, when you judge... judge in righteousness.
John 7:24 says,

24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with
righteous judgment."

We must learn how to judge before we judge anyone or anything. God judges our
judgment by looking in our hearts to see what our motive is. If we judge someone
incorrectly, God will judge us by our same motive in order to correct us. We will see
how bad judgment feels and we will stop doing it to others.

If we are judging someone to help them overcome something that has them bound,
you should speak it to them IN LOVE... everything should be done with a LOVE
MOTIVE. God knows our intentions because He judges our heart.

Logabe

Matthew 7:1

1Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
2 “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Here Jesus is suggesting to not judge at all. Don't you think it prudent to take His suggestions.

1Cor 4:5

5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God.

Here again Paul tells us not to judge. Notice the last part of this exhortation, it is God who does the judging. Ultimately God does the judging, but as presented earlier we are to judge the words and actions of others in the church. Yet this is an endeavor that must be tread with love being the driving force. You can judge without judging the person.

1Cor 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Reactions: aspen

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Shouldn't confuse the idea of 'judgment' with 'discernment, discrimination', for they are two different things. The Bible translators at times confused the different meanings for 'judge' too. We are to 'judge' sin among ourselves and among the brethren. That does not mean to condemn one to perish at The Judgment.

Rev 3:19
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
(KJV)

Titus 2:13-15
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
(KJV)

Titus 1:10-13
10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:
11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, 'The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.'
13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
(KJV)

Note Paul says there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, especially among the Jews ("circumcision"), and their mouths must be stopped, so rebuke them 'sharply' (apotomos - abruptly), that they may be 'sound' in the Faith.

So because the rebellious don't like to be rebuked, that means they shouldn't have to suffer rebuke for their unruly, vain and deceiving talking?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Nice post Veteran...agreed. But I still believe that despite the need to do just that, we can and should do so in patience and love. I think too often people think that because we're "loving" that we're push overs. Love does not bend...it is sturdy and sure...it's just not rude and mean, that's all. :)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course we are called to be discerning - but only about things that concern ourselves or our families; unless we are called to be pastors or teachers. Jesus told us not to judge others - he didn't say anything about judging ourselves.

Reactions: Eltanin

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*Of course we continually make judgements, that's how decisions are formed.
*It is the duty of the Church to pass judgment (hopefully with an eye on repentance) on the erring believer.
*For the unbeliever, he is already judged as guilty and in bondage to sin...ours is to tell him of the Deliverer.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Matthew 7:1

1Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
2 “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Here Jesus is suggesting to not judge at all. Don't you think it prudent to take His suggestions.

1Cor 4:5

5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God.

Here again Paul tells us not to judge. Notice the last part of this exhortation, it is God who does the judging. Ultimately God does the judging, but as presented earlier we are to judge the words and actions of others in the church. Yet this is an endeavor that must be tread with love being the driving force. You can judge without judging the person.

1Cor 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

If a christian isn't mature enough to judge a matter, I suggest he waits
until the Lord has given him wisdom in this area. Gal. 6:1 says,

1 Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass,
you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of
gentleness ; each one looking to yourself, so that you
too will not be tempted.

If you truly love your brother, give him the benefit of the doubt. We
should find it hard to believe that he has sinned against us, and if
he has, he must have been driven to it under some trying and
terrible situations. Show mercy... and he will see Jesus in you and
repent, isn't that the purpose of judgment.

Do we assume guilt, or do we assume he is innocent. Matt. 7:1-2,

1 "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged ;
and by your standard of measure, it will be
measured to you.

Jesus was referring to Deut. 25:13-16, where he was explaining to
us how to judge. He was warning us to use the same weight to judge
others as we use to judge ourselves. We shouldn't have a heavy weight
to hide the light of our sins and a lighter weight to expose our brother.
Our weights should be the same according to the Divine Law.

God has called us to be a deliverer (judge), but we must judge all matters
according to the Law of God. 1st Cor. 6:2,

1 Does any one of you, when he has a case against
his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous
and not before the saints ?
2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the
world ? If the world is judged by you, are you not
competent to constitute the smallest law courts ?

Logabe

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

Christ taught us that "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks". So all anyone has to do is open their mouth and begin to speak and you know what they are based on.

Lets take you for instance. It is apparent that you don't know about all of the scriptures that tells us to judge and all of the others that tell us how and what to judge. You must not know about the one that says that the saints will judge the world and angels. It goes like this.

2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
The judgement talked about in the bible is that which attempts to determine the eternal destiny of another which is futile when you consider it's not our decision to make,if we are not to judge right from wrong based on the bible then the bible is pointless and should have never been written,church discipline is useless and should have never been included...it doesn't exist today but that's beside the point....also those who squeal the most about judging do the most of it since their goal is not a lack of judgement but to not have what they approve or are guilty of or both questioned by anyone.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is very simple - we are called to obey by loving God and others - judging other's behavior towards God is not loving them. The Bible was not written as a book of judgments towards our neighbor! It was given to us for many reasons - as a cautionary tale for human behavior apart from God; a testimony of Christ's love for us; and God's plan for our reconciliation and redemption.

Dehumanizing others by exalting ourselves over our neighbor is antichrist. In fact, we are called to resist such behavior by bringing shame on those who dehumanize us by turning the other cheek, giving up our shirt, and walking the extra mile.

Reactions: Eltanin