*Just a chatting place *

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

Butterfly

I have only heard random differences , like pants over here is underwear, but over there they are trousers.
Jello is a dessert here, but I believe it's what we call jam
I know sweets ( confectionary ) has a different word
Your potato chips, well we call them crisps
Our chips, you call fries
Your soda, we call fizzy
I think our custard you call gravy - gravy is something we put on dinner , not pudding.
It could get complicate ordering a meal !!!
Rita

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I felt a bit guilty today because I was on a thread and @pia and I were chattering!
Something I find very easy to do...you may have notice ;)
But I do know some people don't like it and find it distracting, and I totally understand.
Apologies to @Angelina for hijacking her weather thread this morning.:oops:
I just like to know members "as people" and not just as avatars . And, on the flip side, many I know like to stay private and hidden, ( probably why they choose avatars to hide behind..cheers to @ScottA who is one of the brave ones. :D)

Anyway , because some of us are born chatter boxes , I wanted to start this thread for those who do like Fellowship ( @Miss Hepburn there's 'that word' again :) ) ...as well as enjoying good arguments and debates...and those who are maybe interested in each other... Here we have a little quiet place to share what we like...and it won't annoy anyone too much.. @Butterfly On this thread " anything goes". ;)
Many blessings...H
We got a zillion years X 10^infinity to chat under the Tree of Life or over a fresh sweet strawberry from my orchard, but now we got people like Dead Bread and his false ideas undermining the faith and causing little ones in the faith to stumble. But, alas, I guess even Jesus took time to "pass a good time down on da bayou, cher" LOL

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have only heard random differences , like pants over here is underwear, but over there they are trousers.
Jello is a dessert here, but I believe it's what we call jam
I know sweets ( confectionary ) has a different word
Your potato chips, well we call them crisps
Our chips, you call fries
Your soda, we call fizzy
I think our custard you call gravy - gravy is something we put on dinner , not pudding.
It could get complicate ordering a meal !!!
Rita
Pull up, is another one.

North America: = move forward.

British Isles: = stop!

:)

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember ' groovy ' and ' alright '
My children grew up with ' cool ' ' wicked ( which meant good not bad !!! ) ' sick ' ( that also meant it was good )
Now, I haven't got a clue what my grand daughter is talking about !!
Mind you there is also the different use of words in countries, they say we speak the same language in the US and UK , well we don't at times !! Lol
Rita

Ha! No, we do not call some things the same such as "Call Box" for
Phone Booth" or, the "Loo" for the bathroom or, as some call it, "the john". Bumbershoot for umbrella? I know there are others, just cannot remember them right now so... Now, you have a right nice evening, enjoy a spot of tea and a scone perhaps (that was in a British accent) :D

B

Butterfly

Bumbershoot- seriously , I have never heard that one - next time it's raining I will ask someone for one!!
They are not called phone booths, they are telephone boxes - we don't have too many of those now !
Pillerboxes are what you call mail boxes
Oh I love a scone and cuppa , buts it's actually 12:30 in the morning , so I really should be getting some sleep, I came to bed ages ago !
My son went to Devon and chose to have a cream tea ( scone, jam, cream and a cup of tea ) because it was called. ' cream tea ' he proceeded to put the clotted cream in the tea - then wondered why everyone was staring at him, and why the cream didn't dessolve !!! ( it should have been spread on the scone with the jam !!! )
Rita

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bumbershoot- seriously , I have never heard that one - next time it's raining I will ask someone for one!!
They are not called phone booths, they are telephone boxes - we don't have too many of those now !
Pillerboxes are what you call mail boxes
Oh I love a scone and cuppa , buts it's actually 12:30 in the morning , so I really should be getting some sleep, I came to bed ages ago !
My son went to Devon and chose to have a cream tea ( scone, jam, cream and a cup of tea ) because it was called. ' cream tea ' he proceeded to put the clotted cream in the tea - then wondered why everyone was staring at him, and why the cream didn't dessolve !!! ( it should have been spread on the scone with the jam !!! )
Rita

Lol...so, the clotted cream ruined his tea! We have bagels with cream cheese n chives, or I sometimes like to put blackberry jam over the plain cream cheese...yum! Yes, get to sleep Missy! You work long hours!
I had read somewhere where someone in London used the term "Call Box" for phone booth...I guess Bumbershoot is an old one, eh? Lol...sleep well Rita!

B

Butterfly

Ha! No, we do not call some things the same such as "Call Box" for
Phone Booth" or, the "Loo" for the bathroom or, as some call it, "the john". Bumbershoot for umbrella? I know there are others, just cannot remember them right now so... Now, you have a right nice evening, enjoy a spot of tea and a scone perhaps (that was in a British accent) :D
remember to raise your little finger slightly when drinking a cup of tea - you can be posh then , and definately use a saucer and cup -not a mug, which is what I use- I ain't posh !! Lol

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
remember to raise your little finger slightly when drinking a cup of tea - you can be posh then , and definately use a saucer and cup -not a mug, which is what I use- I ain't posh !! Lol

Hahaha...I am far from posh...and also use a mug :D I only lift the pinkie when playing a Brit with friends...lol.

Reactions: Butterfly
B

Butterfly

Lol...so, the clotted cream ruined his tea! We have bagels with cream cheese n chives, or I sometimes like to put blackberry jam over the plain cream cheese...yum! Yes, get to sleep Missy! You work long hours!
I had read somewhere where someone in London used the term "Call Box" for phone booth...I guess Bumbershoot is an old one, eh? Lol...sleep well Rita!
We have bagels now , but not sure about the jam and cheese together, that just sounds weird ! ( but they do tend to mix sweet and savoury together more now - so it would be interesting to try.
Maybe Londoners called it a call box- must admit I had never heard that, but things can change from area to area,
Yes, I have a ten hour shift today - I need to get up in five hours !!!
Right better go..... Xx

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We have bagels now , but not sure about the jam and cheese together, that just sounds weird ! ( but they do tend to mix sweet and savoury together more now - so it would be interesting to try.
Maybe Londoners called it a call box- must admit I had never heard that, but things can change from area to area,
Right better go..... Xx
A lot of Jewish restaurants and bakeries in our area specialize in bagels...

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ByGrace, clhiming in late.

Happy Birthday.

Many Blessings,
Taken

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right better go..... Xx

Sleep well!

Reactions: Butterfly and Taken

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh gosh Helen! I did not know it was your Birth Day! Well, Happiest of Birthdays and many more to come! ♥♥♥ I hope Dave is taking you for a nice meal out?? ♥

Thank you. x
Dave didn't take me out for a meal...but he cooked me a lovely big breakfast which he brought to me in bed :D
Jane popped by with a really nice birthday cake with 77 on it..and a $100 gift card for Amazon. :)
One of my weaknesses is British or Australian DVD's our faves lol
I also had some phone calls and FaceTime calls too..
Fun day.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you. x
Dave didn't take me out for a meal...but he cooked me a lovely big breakfast which he brought to me in bed :D
Jane popped by with a really nice birthday cake with 77 on it..and a $100 gift card for Amazon. :)
One of my weaknesses is British or Australian DVD's our faves lol
I also had some phone calls and FaceTime calls too..
Fun day.
Glad you had a good day!

So do you like old Laurel and Hardy episodes? :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Glad you had a good day!

So do you like old Laurel and Hardy episodes? :)

I do, but that has been many many years ago since I saw one.
We like shows like Foyle War, Rosemary & Thyme, Endeavour etc etc..
Rita will probably know of these , even if she doesn't watch them herself.
@Butterfly