*Just a chatting place *

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am (very much so) religiously preoccuppied all of the time, so any chatting that I do will probably be along the lines of Bible doctrine (my apologies to those who feel that chatting should be along more trivial lines; I know that the fact that it is Bible means it could turn into heated discussion; but I will try to stay away from topics like that).

Today my thoughts run along the lines of a key that I have found to obtaining victory over sin. I have made it a point to pray the Lord's prayer every day at least once; and in the same breath I ask the Lord to both enable me and to cause me to take hold of His strength (Isaiah 27:5) so that I might have the victory over the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life; even over the world, the flesh, and the devil. It seems to be working so far. I pray these things when I get up in the morning and any time that I feel tempted by my old man's inclinations.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been married to my wife for approximately twelve years. The first few years were quite rocky: the day we got married she threw an electrical appliance out the window of our car, and we had an encounter with the police. Things have gotten way better since then. For the first five years or so, she would use the "d" word quite often; but now things have smoothed out in that area for about the last 7 years or so.

I think that we just had to work out all the kinks and realize that we are two different people who are slowly becoming one.

B

brakelite

It's just what really posh people do - have no idea why !!! ( and I am sure it is not the case with everyone that's posh ) lol
Rita
I think I have the answer to that. The average tea cup in posh dainty households is very small. BY the time one puts his thumb over the top of the handle, one index finger through the handle, there's only room for two more fingers underneath...hence the need to lift the pinky up out of the way so it doesn't play havoc with the saucer.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am (very much so) religiously preoccuppied all of the time, so any chatting that I do will probably be along the lines of Bible doctrine (my apologies to those who feel that chatting should be along more trivial lines; I know that the fact that it is Bible means it could turn into heated discussion; but I will try to stay away from topics like that).

Today my thoughts run along the lines of a key that I have found to obtaining victory over sin. I gave made it a point to pray the Lord's prayer every day at least once; and in the same breath I ask the Lord to both enable me and to cause me to take hold of His strength (Isaiah 27:5) so that I might have the victory over the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life; even over the world, the flesh, and the devil. It seems to be working so far. I pray these things when I get up in the morning and any time that I feel tempted by my old man's inclinations.

The reality is that the closer we walk with the Lord the less the world will pull us in. It's about influence and momentum. I know that I have to go full tilt for the Lord or I get slack. I go to my own imagination when I am not fully engaged in my heart. I have to fight back. If I get a prompting of the Lord in the middle of the night...I get up and pray. I look forward to being in the word and getting new revelations every day. It keeps me sharp.

I think that the problem for many men is that they tend to live in their heads rather than their hearts.

I am a spiritual coach to a number of men...and it is a recurring theme this tendency towards living in the unreality of the imagination. It is a huge thing with men. Living from the heart puts us on a level where we can't get fooled by temptation so easily. Living through love keeps the devil away since he can't sneak up on a person. Living from the head keeps a person so busy he doesn't see the devil coming. He is preoccupied and not watching and praying.

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But many for some reason do not click which gender they are...
...which in THIS day and age I guess is now more and more PC... :(

In THIS day and age it is not about PC, but rather about Privacy. If you have ever been a victim of Theft due a Privacy Breech, you would then understand taking precautions.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I have the answer to that. The average tea cup in posh dainty households is very small. BY the time one puts his thumb over the top of the handle, one index finger through the handle, there's only room for two more fingers underneath...hence the need to lift the pinky up out of the way so it doesn't play havoc with the saucer.

Ooooh, so it is not an "uppity" thing, lol. THanks, always wondered if they thought they were being "proper". :D

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do people know it is my birthday?
Posts are all over my facebook page , but how do you guys know here?
Did I mention it? I know a few weeks ago I mention 'being 77 next month' but I didn't mention the day :D Interesting.

Helen
FB puts it out there if you gave your date of birth...you can go to settings and change that but, now we all know your date of birth, lol!

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tea Drinkers...

Do you think it is okay to steep together on a first date?

LOL

Reactions: Acolyte

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been married to my wife for approximately twelve years. The first few years were quite rocky: the day we got married she threw an electrical appliance out the window of our car, and we had an encounter with the police. Things have gotten way better since then. For the first five years or so, she would use the "d" word quite often; but now things have smoothed out in that area for about the last 7 years or so.

I think that we just had to work out all the kinks and realize that we are two different people who are slowly becoming one.

Brother, we've all had to work through the kinks. We still have a few after almost 50 years. But they aren't do noticeable and our love is stronger no than ever. Bless you.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
FB puts it out there if you gave your date of birth...you can go to settings and change that but, now we all know your date of birth, lol!

No, I haven't filled in my correct birthday on Facebook...I use my brothers and he uses mine :D

But all the family and friends posted all over my facebook page as the know when it really is LOL

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's just what really posh people do - have no idea why !!! ( and I am sure it is not the case with everyone that's posh ) lol
Rita

I read this it seems strange...
"Only the Medieval wealthy could afford to purchase salt and exotic spices, like nutmeg, at their tables.

While foods were eaten with one’s hands and a knife, both pinky fingers were extended.
They never touched food or gravy or sauce, being reserved as "spice fingers."

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@justbyfaith Glad that you joined us...and thank you for your good posts. :)
Enjoyed your remarks about 'the Lords prayer. ' ✟

Oh PS.. just so we don't get the gender thing wrong with our new friend Pearl, she is a she......but we are all a he in the Spirit and sons of God. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this it seems strange...
"Only the Medieval wealthy could afford to purchase salt and exotic spices, like nutmeg, at their tables.

While foods were eaten with one’s hands and a knife, both pinky fingers were extended.
They never touched food or gravy or sauce, being reserved as "spice fingers."

@brakelite posted a rational reason above a few posts for pinkie raising...made sense to me and your the Brit Helen! Did you use the tiny cups? :)

Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@justbyfaith Glad that you joined us...and thank you for your good posts. :)
Enjoyed your remarks about 'the Lords prayer. ' ✟

Oh PS.. just so we don't get the gender thing wrong with our new friend Pearl, she is a she......but we are all a he in the Spirit and sons of God. :)
I believe I called her sister...you can also click on a person's moniker and a screen will pop-up that reveals gender and other personal information.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@brakelite posted a rational reason above a few posts for pinkie raising...made sense to me and your the Brit Helen! Did you use the tiny cups? :)

When visiting my grandma we had to use tiny fine china cups and saucers.
She grew up in the late 1800's so was Victorian in many of her ways. Also always wore black like Queen Victoria .

China cups frightened me as a kid, knowing they were expensive.
In the 50's we had cups and saucers at work and at home, but they weren't fine china..just cheap old white ones.

It was much later when saucers went out of fashion and mugs came into play.
I can't remember when... maybe Rita and Pat remember better than me, they are Brits too. :) @Butterfly . @Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She grew up in the late 1800's so was Victorian in many of her ways. Also always wore black like Queen Victoria .

In the 50's we had cups and saucers at work and at home, but they weren't fine china..just cheap old white ones.

I can't remember when... maybe Rita and Pat remember better than me, they are Brits too. :) @Butterfly . @Pearl

When I think of a mug, I picture coffee or hot cocoa, not so much tea. In the Chinese restaurants around here, their tea cups are small without a handle at all!

Reactions: Acolyte and Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe I called her sister...you can also click on a person's moniker and a screen will pop-up that reveals gender and other personal information.

Huh, I know that some do reveal these things but many do not...so , they leave us guessing sometimes :D

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I seem to remember as a young married back in the early 60s that we wanted to be trendy and preferred to drink coffee rather than the tea our parents preferred and made it in mugs aka beakers and never used saucers. I think probably that mugs were mainly used for coffee and cups with saucers for tea back then but everything is in mugs today.