*Just a chatting place *

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Buying a SET of dishes in the US...

For eons, buying a SET of dishes Obviously the Setting being of English influence...

The cups and saucers....who in the US, obviously big coffee drinkers, used those tiny cups with little finger loops and saucers?

Pretty much, No one....except if they were fancy dishes, maybe a cup and a saucer as a nic nac....

I have had hand-me-down sets, bought sets, and the cups n saucers are all perfect, no chips, cracks, stains....because they were never used! Didn't even put them in the cupboards, as space was reserved for the larger coffee mugs....and like Nancy said...
Coffee and Hot Chocolate.....yum, yum

If you now notice in the US. Dish sets have more options with the cups being larger, more mug like (ugh, often tapered at the bottom), and the latest rage being pushed for health benefits.....TEA...

LOL

Personally, I prefer Coffee, and prefer a restaurant style "mug" that is hefty for Coffee, but small, (almost suitable for Barbie) LOL....but keeps the refilling HOT...

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol... Di ya hear that @Taken ?

Ya. Ya....LOL

Brewing is one method, same we do with Coffee, of passing the water through the Tea/Coffee. (Dry ingredient).

Steeping is putting the dry ingredient (tea or coffee) into water until the water takes on the flavor of the tea or coffee.

In the US, tea is conveniently made by steeping.....instant, quick, one or two cups, with tea bags, rather than a brewed pot.

In the US, Coffee being more favored is typically Brew in a pot....(or ie Coffee maker).

Have brewed tea for others. I don't drink tea...not even the Southern states favorite of a BIG (HUGE) glasses of Iced tea...
That can be instant or brewed then cooled.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy
B

Butterfly

When visiting my grandma we had to use tiny fine china cups and saucers.
She grew up in the late 1800's so was Victorian in many of her ways. Also always wore black like Queen Victoria .

China cups frightened me as a kid, knowing they were expensive.
In the 50's we had cups and saucers at work and at home, but they weren't fine china..just cheap old white ones.

It was much later when saucers went out of fashion and mugs came into play.
I can't remember when... maybe Rita and Pat remember better than me, they are Brits too. :) @Butterfly . @Pearl
I can't remember, they just seemed to gradually take over - I dont think we had them in the 60's , but seem to remember ' here and now ' having snoopy ones ( it was a shop in Brighton - use to love it ) so perhaps the 70's .

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ya. Ya....LOL

Brewing is one method, same we do with Coffee, of passing the water through the Tea/Coffee. (Dry ingredient).

Steeping is putting the dry ingredient (tea or coffee) into water until the water takes on the flavor of the tea or coffee.

In the US, tea is conveniently made by steeping.....instant, quick, one or two cups, with tea bags, rather than a brewed pot.

In the US, Coffee being more favored is typically Brew in a pot....(or ie Coffee maker).

Have brewed tea for others. I don't drink tea...not even the Southern states favorite of a BIG (HUGE) glasses of Iced tea...
That can be instant or brewed then cooled.

God Bless,
Taken
Brewing here in the UK is putting a teabag or loose tea leaves into a cup, mug or teapot and pouring boiling water on it and letting it stand until it is brewed to the right colour to suit the individual taste. ;)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can't remember, they just seemed to gradually take over - I dont think we had them in the 60's , but seem to remember ' here and now ' having snoopy ones ( it was a shop in Brighton - use to love it ) so perhaps the 70's .

I started using mugs, which we called beakers back then, in 1962 when I got married.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy
B

Butterfly

I started using mugs, which we called beakers back then, in 1962 when I got married.
I don't remember mum and dad having them- I am pretty sure we had them in the bank when I started working in 1974- I guess it's like most things, they are in the shops but you don't always buy them straight away.
Rita

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't remember mum and dad having them- I am pretty sure we had them in the bank when I started working in 1974- I guess it's like most things, they are in the shops but you don't always buy them straight away.
Rita

My mum never used mugs either, but they only drank tea brewed in a teapot. I think mugs became popular for coffee before they started to be used for tea.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brewing here in the UK is putting a teabag or loose tea leaves into a cup, mug or teapot and pouring boiling water on it and letting it stand until it is brewed to the right colour to suit the individual taste. ;)

Brewing IS the mixing of the dry coffee ingredient or dry tea ingredient with hot water.

Steeping IS how long one allows the tea or coffee to continue to mix, as you said, to desired flavor.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Acolyte

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Brewing IS the mixing of the dry coffee ingredient or dry tea ingredient with hot water.

Steeping IS how long one allows the tea or coffee to continue to mix, as you said, to desired flavor.

God Bless,
Taken
Obviously the Brit meaning of to brew tea is different. When we ask if someone wants a tea or coffee we usually, 'Do you fancy a brew?' or, 'Do you want a cuppa?" We steep dried pulse like peas and beans in water overnight before cooking. Or we steep stained laundry before washing.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For what its worth, those names mean much to me. At age 10 I was quite the baseball historian. That ws 1979. I still appreciated baseball lore of the past. I never saw willie mays or ernie banks play... But they are my favorites.

I left following baseball in the 80's. Though I amstill glowing that my beloved Cubs finally made it!

"Boy the way glen miller played! Songs like that mafe the hit parade!"....

Thanks for the baseball memories... It was a golden age!

Wow, we are almost the same age.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously the Brit meaning of to brew tea is different. When we ask if someone wants a tea or coffee we usually, 'Do you fancy a brew?' or, 'Do you want a cuppa?" We steep dried pulse like peas and beans in water overnight before cooking. Or we steep stained laundry before washing.

Seems trivial to me. We steep food. We soak food. We soak dirty laundry.
Steep is typically to keep something in hot water for a period of time.
Soaking may begin in hot water but if left too long the water becomes cold, and the food or laundry or whatever is left with intent to become cold and soak.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I missed out on Jackie Robinson, but I do remember Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Ernie Banks, Stan Musial, Ted Williams and many more. It broke my heart when baseball somehow fell from being the top sport in this country. Now for my part I understand why it is not. But... that is another testimony.
Ty Cobb was the greatest ball player ever and it's to people like him that make the game what he claims it to be, problem is that holding hands with the other team etc has destroyed the real love of the game, one has to be red blooded as he said.
Cobb was not a nice man but he knew how to play the game giving it his all with love and dedication to such, I admire such as he stands way above all that the sport ever had and what a brilliant person he was, what a exceptional businessman what a ball player !

I have never liked football as I clashed with many in my early days, who were big mouths making out that they were tuff looking for fights to try and prove themselves.
I was sick of them type people who I did not even know, who were looking to try have a go. it had a dipstick culture and it was the same in boxing that I just could not stand, but in Ju Jitsu you don't get that type of drip because they will not cut it in the grade because one must have integrity.

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@"ByGrace" I knew because butterfly wished you happy birthday
:rolleyes:
I am in and out. Do alot of searches here. The time flies when I'm reading here, so sometimes I look at the clock and have to go. Lol
Recently I have been reading the books of the bible that were left out by the reformists. I'm not understanding why they were omitted. I also recall there are verses left out of a few chapters. Going to try and find them all.

Was wondering @bbyrd009 can you see the launches where you are? Been eagerly waiting for the Falconx launch, but it has been delayed again.

And bam, times up for now. It goes fast here.
Be back later. @farouk will get in to answer your posts.

Blessings! Good to meet you all:)

Last edited:
B

brakelite

Don't know about anywhere else, but in NZ we had enamel mugs the size of small airplanes we would use on hunting or camping trips. Somehow they made their way into smoko rooms in workplaces. Then the male members of the family would manage to smuggle them into the home. By that time of course much of the paint was missing, the odd bullet hole graced the more authentic examples, and the lady members of the household hated them every time they made an appearance. Needless to say they were not a standard addition to the china cabinets.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know about anywhere else, but in NZ we had enamel mugs the size of small airplanes we would use on hunting or camping trips. Somehow they made their way into smoko rooms in workplaces. Then the male members of the family would manage to smuggle them into the home. By that time of course much of the paint was missing, the odd bullet hole graced the more authentic examples, and the lady members of the household hated them every time they made an appearance. Needless to say they were not a standard addition to the china cabinets.

Ah ha, those giant size enamel mugs...
When they have passed their time for holding coffee, they make a better flower pot then putting them in a china cabinet. ;)

God Bless,
Taken