''Keep'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The major flaw in this idea is that the Sabbath was originally the day of God's rest. Therefore Christ (who is the Creator) RESTED on the Sabbath after His crucifixion, and rose again on the "morrow after the Sabbath" to fulfil the Feast of First Fruits. The first day of Creation corresponded to the first day of the New Creation.
You aren't being very clear here. Are you saying "the Sabbath was originally the day of God's rest" is wrong?

What I know is that when I read the Gospels, Jesus "appeared" to the women early the first day of the week. Close to sunrise. It is not called the Lord's Day. It does not say Jesus was resurrected on the first day of the week. You are speculating to justify following the Catholic tradition.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
This is the assurance I rest in(His resurrection) for me this is everyday.

For you then; why should we know? Because <this>, Colossians 2, is written "of Sabbath's Feast of Christ" ASSEMBLIES for which they endure the "condemnation" / "judgement" of the world-- verse 16a BECAUSE of their "eating and drinking of Christ THE SUBSTANCE .. and Nourishment ministered on .. Sabbaths"-- take it as the truth or reject God's Written Word for private gain and self-justification. The arrogance of fiddling with the Authority of the Almighty in his Written Word!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The major flaw in this idea is that the Sabbath was originally the day of God's rest. Therefore Christ (who is the Creator) RESTED on the Sabbath

The major strength in this Truth is that God's Sabbath WORK is his REST He "finished, hallowed and blessed ON THE SEVENTH DAY" .. "GOD THUS CONCERNING SPAKE" by means of his Word, JESUS THE CHRIST and by means of Him the Christ, IN RESURRECTION from the dead Q~on the Sabbath~Q.

the Sabbath after His crucifixion

Wrong! Show that with verse and text! And I can tell you before you have tried, how you're going to wangle, juggle and strangle the Word of God to say what you say and not God.

rose again on the "morrow after the Sabbath" to fulfil the Feast of First Fruits.

You are the one who differ with and contradict yourself here. So while you don't see it, how do you want to defend what you don't even see and cannot explain? Yes, "Our Passover" <rose again on the "morrow after the Sabbath" (Friday Abib 15 "the Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath"), to fulfil the Feast of First Fruits>, "on the (weekly) Sabbath" - 'Sabbatohn' - "Feast of Sabbath" Colossians 2:16.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You aren't being very clear here. Are you saying "the Sabbath was originally the day of God's rest" is wrong?

What I know is that when I read the Gospels, Jesus "appeared" to the women early the first day of the week. Close to sunrise. It is not called the Lord's Day. It does not say Jesus was resurrected on the first day of the week. You are speculating to justify following the Catholic tradition.

Lift high the banner of God's Truth! God bless you

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.'
(Exodus 20:8)

Hello there.

The word 'keep' (H6942), used in Exodus 20:8 (above) is defined as :-

H6942 ( קָדַשׁ ) - qâdash
A primitive root; 'to be'
(causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally)
Scriptural usage: - appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow,
(be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X wholly.)

* In this case the word 'keep' is used in regard to the consecration of a day, dedicating it, setting it apart for the Lord, isn't it?

* Not as in the case of Ephesians 4:3, 'Endeavouring to keep (G5033) the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.' which has the meaning of 'holding fast' as a trust. Though it is used of keeping the commandments in Matthew 19:17,

* The other Greek words translated 'keep' are: G4160; G1314; G2722; G5442;
G4912; G1301; G4238; G1858; G4601; G5432; G5083. There are probably similar variants in the Hebrew language, which can be looked up, and added to the list. However, this like all of the words used in Scripture are worth following through, to see how the Holy Spirit has used them, and in what other ways they are translated.

Thank you Gerhard. :)
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

This is like the [opposite] use of the word "sin", an archery term meaning "miss the mark."

All things of God have their meaning in the timeless "I am" nature of "keep", while the variables are all relative to time.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is like the [opposite] use of the word "sin", an archery term meaning "miss the mark."

All things of God have their meaning in the timeless "I am" nature of "keep", while the variables are all relative to time.
' ... For all have sinned,
and come short
of the glory of God..'

( Romans 3:23 )
Hello @ScottA,

Thank you for addressing the OP. :)

Yes, SIN is falling short, or of missing the mark.

Your last paragraph, I do not understand, I'm afraid. However, I find that I am failing to understand much that is said in this thread so far.

We live within the confines of time, don't we? and God seeks to enable us to understand the infinite, by using words with their various shades of meaning, that will best express His truth: so that we may not lean to our own understanding and thereby fall into error.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For you then; why should we know? Because <this>, Colossians 2, is written "of Sabbath's Feast of Christ" ASSEMBLIES for which they endure the "condemnation" / "judgement" of the world-- verse 16a BECAUSE of their "eating and drinking of Christ THE SUBSTANCE .. and Nourishment ministered on .. Sabbaths"-- take it as the truth or reject God's Written Word for private gain and self-justification. The arrogance of fiddling with the Authority of the Almighty in his Written Word!
'Let no man therefore judge you
In meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday,
Or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days.'

(Colossians 2:16)

Hello there, @GerhardEbersoehn,

As it was I who quoted the verse above from Colossians, I feel I should respond to what you have said: For my understanding of this passage of Scripture, in Colossians, differs from what you have expressed in your post .

* The words, 'Sabbath days', is not referring only to the seventh day, but to all the many 'Sabbaths' which it was incumbent upon Israel to keep, as the feasts of the Lord.

* These Jewish Sabbaths, along with the pagan holydays celebrated within the cultural framewark in which the Colossian believers lived (such as that of, ' the new moon'); were not to be a matter upon which they were to be judged: For, in Christ Jesus, believers were, 'dead', to all of these things, religious or secular: for all the fulness of the Godhead (bodily) dwelt in Christ Jesus, their living Lord, and they were complete in Him (Colossians 2:20-23).

* We, as the Colossian believers before us, though living IN the world, are not OF it: and we like they, are 'complete', in Him!!

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Note:
Christmas day, Easter celebrations, etc., all come into this catagory of the keeping of days, I feel: we aught not to be judged in regard to the keeping of them either.

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Let no man therefore judge you
In meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday,
Or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days.'

(Colossians 2:16)

Hello there, @GerhardEbersoehn,

As I quoted the verse above, I feel I should respond to this post (quoted above): For my understanding of this passage of Scripture, in Colossians, differs from what you have expressed in your post .

The words, 'Sabbath days', is not referring only to the seventh day in the Hebrew calendar: but to all the many 'Sabbaths' which it was incumbent upon Israel to keep, as the feasts of the Lord. These Sabbaths, along with the pagan holydays celebrated within the cultural framewark in which the Colossian believers lived (such as that of, ' the new moon'), were not to be a matter upon which they were to be judged. For in Christ Jesus they were, 'dead', to all of these things, for all the fulness of the Godhead dwelt in Christ Jesus, their living Lord (bodily).(Colossians 2:20-23).

* We, as the Colossians believers before us, though living IN the world, are not OF it.
* For they were, and we are, - 'complete', in Him!!

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Note:
Christmas day, Easter celebrations, etc., all come into this catagory of the keeping of days, I feel: we aught not to be judged in regard to them.
As referring to the Colossians, We must realize that Paul was expressing the Passage Above! Colossians 2:16 in reference to that they had come out of Pagan forms of worship, So do not Let the people that are still involved in the Pagan Cult's Judge You!!!! Judge you in the Sabbath's - weekly, Passover, Unleavened Bread, Feast of Weeks [Pentecost] , Day of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, And Feast of Tabernacles! All to which are not only written in Scripture, but were Commanded to [KEEP ] as the OP of this thread!! Keep!

The Traditional Holidays you have expressed at the end of your post, are just traditions of Man that Make the word of God to no Effect!
And through Diligent search you will find that they are just watered down Pagan Rituals we were instructed not to utilize and claim them as Worship to the Most High!
Respectfully Truth!

Reactions: rstrats

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As referring to the Colossians, We must realize that Paul was expressing the Passage Above! Colossians 2:16 in reference to that they had come out of Pagan forms of worship, So do not Let the people that are still involved in the Pagan Cult's Judge You!!!! Judge you in the Sabbath's - weekly, Passover, Unleavened Bread, Feast of Weeks [Pentecost] , Day of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, And Feast of Tabernacles! All to which are not only written in Scripture, but were Commanded to [KEEP ] as the OP of this thread!! Keep!

The Traditional Holidays you have expressed at the end of your post, are just traditions of Man that Make the word of God to no Effect!
And through Diligent search you will find that they are just watered down Pagan Rituals we were instructed not to utilize and claim them as Worship to the Most High!
Respectfully Truth!
What? "No man" means only pagans? You got to be kidding.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Respectfully Truth!
Hello @Truth,

With respect, the context of Colossians 2, does not support your reasoning.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Or Paul is saying that they shouldn't let anyone but the Body of Christ, which is the Church, judge them with regard to how they were observing the things mentioned in verse 16.

Reactions: Truth

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Or Paul is saying that they shouldn't let anyone but the Body of Christ, which is the Church, judge them with regard to how they were observing the things mentioned in verse 16.
Hello @rstrats,

The Word of God is the judge, by which we are to measure our actions. God has told us to let no man judge us about these things (Colossians 2:16). That is all that we need.

In Christ Jesus.
Chris

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
charity,
re: "The Word of God is the judge..."

But as far as Colossians 2:17 is concerned - which is a continuation of verse 16 - Paul could very well be saying that the Body of Christ, i.e., the church, is to do any judging with regard to the practices of the Colossians. The phrase 'Body of Christ' is used by Paul on at least 3 other occasions (Eph 4:12, 1Cor 10:16, 1Cor 12:27) to refer to the Church and alludes to it in Colossians 1:18 and 24.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
charity,
re: "The Word of God is the judge..."

But as far as Colossians 2:17 is concerned - which is a continuation of verse 16 - Paul could very well be saying that the Body of Christ, i.e., the church, is to do any judging with regard to the practices of the Colossians. The phrase 'Body of Christ' is used by Paul on at least 3 other occasions (Eph 4:12, 1Cor 10:16, 1Cor 12:27) to refer to the Church and alludes to it in Colossians 1:18 and 24.
Hello @rstrats,

Yet it is to their Head that the members cleave, the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is the Word in Colossians that I am concerned with, for it, like Ephesians and Philippians was written following the Divine revelation given to Paul concerning the Chuch which is His Body, which is the fullness of Him that filleth all in all. It was not known at the time of the writing of Corinthians 1 & 2., For it was hid in God (Ephesians 3:9).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your last paragraph, I do not understand, I'm afraid. However, I find that I am failing to understand much that is said in this thread so far.

We live within the confines of time, don't we? and God seeks to enable us to understand the infinite, by using words with their various shades of meaning, that will best express His truth: so that we may not lean to our own understanding and thereby fall into error.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
It is our "old man" who lived/lives within the confines of time...but not so our "new man." This is what Jesus referred to as "entering in" to the kingdom of God where all is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." That "new man" is born of the spirit of God, as opposed to the flesh, that "man of sin revealed." 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Thus, we are counseled to walk rather in the spirit, even in the world.

You see, if we are with God and Him with us in that "I am" spirit, time has no hold on us. But if and when we remain in the world where time is the rule, we continue in decline until the end. We walk in "the valley of the shadow of death", but also in the kingdom of lights. The amazing thing (as Paul wrote) is, "those of us who are alive (in the spirit) and remain"...can experience both, which God has provided for His service until this fold of the gentiles is fulfilled.

So, you see, time is of the world, and thus "off the mark" of His holiness.

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What? "No man" means only pagans? You got to be kidding.

Well, Paul is writing to the Colossians who were turning to the Faith, so it stands to reason that He was instructing them not to be drawn back through Judgmental criticisms from former fellow worshipers, from pagan way's! And that judgement should be through the Body of believer's, not men outside of the Faith!

Reactions: Nancy