Lessons Learned from the Episcopals to the United Methodists Blog Article

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://timothytennent.com/2012/09/27/4-things-united-methodists-can-learn-from-the-episcopal-church/

Archbishop Duncan has effectively led this new movement by challenging his flock to be faithful to the gospel and to remember that the church is not about buildings, but about people and about reaching those who do not yet know Jesus Christ. “Courage begets courage” is one of the most important words of advice from the Archbishop to his flock. What he means by this is that if the people of God take a courageous stand, then it spreads and others are encouraged to take a stand. The result is a new Reformation. Because of their courage, Anglicanism in North America has been saved and is being transferred from one wineskin (Episcopalianism) to another wineskin (ACNA). More importantly, they have also sparked a new reformation within the church as a whole and provided a pathway for others to follow.

I'd submit that this is a lesson for all Christians - not just those in denominations.

The line "courage begets courage" really hit home for me. Our faith is a very social one - and the body functions the best when moving in accord. Things don't work so well if one hand goes one way and the other another.

Watering down, or however you choose to express it is not just a liberal versus conservative issue. It's very easy and tempting to withhold the difficult to understand verses, passages, and concepts. Yet recall that even the guy who healed everyone managed to chase away an entire crowd in his ministry (John 6) because he taught the truth.

Wanted to share this article with you folks. Any thoughts?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://timothytennen...iscopal-church/

I'd submit that this is a lesson for all Christians - not just those in denominations.

The line "courage begets courage" really hit home for me. Our faith is a very social one - and the body functions the best when moving in accord. Things don't work so well if one hand goes one way and the other another.

Watering down, or however you choose to express it is not just a liberal versus conservative issue. It's very easy and tempting to withhold the difficult to understand verses, passages, and concepts. Yet recall that even the guy who healed everyone managed to chase away an entire crowd in his ministry (John 6) because he taught the truth.

Wanted to share this article with you folks. Any thoughts?

John Wesley did not intend for a United Methodist Church. Such was the brainstorm of Dr. Coke and Francis Asbury. The Methodist were suppose to be a revived people within the church as a whole. Therefore you could be Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican... And still be Methodist. Wesley had a fear of the Methodist church loosing their uniqueness and becoming just like everyone else.

“My fear is not that our great movement, known as the Methodists, will eventually cease to exist or one day die from the earth. My fear is that our people will become content to live without the fire, the power, the excitement, the supernatural element that makes us great!” – John Wesley