Let's All Thread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say He, Jesus, is not just a generic name. So Who is He?

Was, and is, Jesus God? Was He both God and man, the God/Man?
Well this is a big subject :) Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World. The only Begotten Son of God. 100% divine and 100% man. He created the Earth, was born of the virgin Mary, lived 30 years, and then spent three years teaching. He was tried and sentenced to death to die on a cross. He took upon Him the sins of the entire world. On the third day He rose again. He is the only way to salvation-- faith in Him and His grace.
Do Mormons consider themselves 'Christian'?
100%.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well this is a big subject :) Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World. The only Begotten Son of God. 100% divine and 100% man. He created the Earth, was born of the virgin Mary, lived 30 years, and then spent three years teaching. He was tried and sentenced to death to die on a cross. He took upon Him the sins of the entire world. On the third day He rose again. He is the only way to salvation-- faith in Him and His grace.

100%.

But did Jesus Christ exist as God the Son with God, prior to the virgin birth?

Stranger

Reactions: Mayflower

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the One Who died on the Cross, was God the Son
Yep and yep.
, distinct from God the Father, and Holy Spirit, who forsake Him in the end?
If what you're asking here is "are the Father and Son two different persons", the answer is yes. LDS aren't modalists. And the Father did forsake the Son in that moment (see Matt 27:45-50).

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep and yep.

If what you're asking here is "are the Father and Son two different persons", the answer is yes. LDS aren't modalists. And the Father did forsake the Son in that moment (see Matt 27:45-50).

What I asked, ' was the One Who died on the Cross, God the Son, distinct from God the Father, and Holy Spirit Who forsake Him in the end?'

Stranger

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I asked, ' was the One Who died on the Cross, God the Son, distinct from God the Father, and Holy Spirit Who forsake Him in the end?'

Stranger
The Father, Son, and Spirit are all three different persons. Christ doesn't pray to Himself, He prays to the Father. The Father forsake Christ on the cross (Christ didn't forsake himself... not even sure how that would make sense). When the Holy Spirit descends like a dove at Christ's baptism, that's a different person. And it's a different person (the Father) saying how well pleased He is with the Son.

And yet they are all ONE God.

(If that doesn't fully address your question, then I must be misunderstanding what you're meaning to ask and you have my apologies for that. Perhaps a rephrase or elaboration would be helpful).

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father, Son, and Spirit are all three different persons. Christ doesn't pray to Himself, He prays to the Father. The Father forsake Christ on the cross (Christ didn't forsake himself... not even sure how that would make sense). When the Holy Spirit descends like a dove at Christ's baptism, that's a different person. And it's a different person (the Father) saying how well pleased He is with the Son.

And yet they are all ONE God.

(If that doesn't fully address your question, then I must be misunderstanding what you're meaning to ask and you have my apologies for that. Perhaps a rephrase or elaboration would be helpful).

No, it does address what was asking.

But, you know that I do not trust you.

You are Mormon, as opposed to Christian, though you are willing to call yourself Christian. Why?

What is it that you see that distinguishes you as a Mormon and not a Christian?

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a rephrase then, so I can more fully understand what you are asking?
You are Mormon, as opposed to Christian, though you are willing to call yourself Christian. Why?

All Mormons are Christians.
All Baptists are Christians.
All Catholics are Christians.
All Orthodox are Christians.
These are different subgroups within the larger umbrella. The core that makes us all Christian is being disciples of Christ and accepting Him as the Son of God and Savior. That's the core and most important part. Secondary things that differentiate groups include stuff like sola scriptura vs not (LDS are not), Calvinism vs Armenism (LDS are Armenians), whether you find the Lord's Supper to be literally blood or symbolic (LDS are symbolic) whether or not you believe the Lord has a physical repressive on the Earth (LDS do), etc. If you want I'd be happy to elaborate on any more similarities or differences.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a rephrase then, so I can more fully understand what you are asking?

All Mormons are Christians.
All Baptists are Christians.
All Catholics are Christians.
All Orthodox are Christians.
These are different subgroups within the larger umbrella. The core that makes us all Christian is being disciples of Christ and accepting Him as the Son of God and Savior. That's the core and most important part. Secondary things that differentiate groups include stuff like sola scriptura vs not (LDS are not), Calvinism vs Armenism (LDS are Armenians), whether you find the Lord's Supper to be literally blood or symbolic (LDS are symbolic) whether or not you believe the Lord has a physical repressive on the Earth (LDS do), etc. If you want I'd be happy to elaborate on any more similarities or differences.

I wouldn't say 'all' of any group you listed are Christians. But you do list groups of the Christian faith. As to the Mormon church being 'Christian' is the question. That you want to identify it as Christian, yes I can see that. But I and Christianity have rejected that based on Mormon's beliefs.

You say the core is our being disciples of Christ and accepting Him as the Son of God and Saviour. Which is true, as described in the Bible. But it is important to be accepting the true Jesus Christ, wouldn't you say? When one comes to God and worships God, it is important that he worships the God as described in the Bible, correct?

Are there not differences in the way Mormons and Christians view God and Christ? And arn't these differences serious enough for Christianity to reject Mormonism as a 'Christian' faith?

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't say 'all' of any group you listed are Christians. But you do list groups of the Christian faith. As to the Mormon church being 'Christian' is the question. That you want to identify it as Christian, yes I can see that. But I and Christianity have rejected that based on Mormon's beliefs.

You say the core is our being disciples of Christ and accepting Him as the Son of God and Saviour. Which is true, as described in the Bible. But it is important to be accepting the true Jesus Christ, wouldn't you say? When one comes to God and worships God, it is important that he worships the God as described in the Bible, correct?

Are there not differences in the way Mormons and Christians view God and Christ? And arn't these differences serious enough for Christianity to reject Mormonism as a 'Christian' faith?

Stranger
There are a TON of misconceptions about the LDS faith out there. If you have any questions about any in particular and honestly want to hear the answers, feel free to just come out and ask me over the board or via PM (PM would probably be better actually- more personal).

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You seem somewhat confused!!

You don't seem to be able to make the difference between The Son in His glory and the Son when He chose to come here to earth as a man..

Phil 2 "....but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men."

He gave up His essential attributes of Deity when He became a human. In other words, Jesus was a human by choice when He was on the earth.

Scripture shows that
Jesus was always conscious of the fact that He was God. Those who say that Jesus ceased being God when He came to earth attempt to make Him into a fallible human being with limitations just like the rest of us. Yet He was both...He identified with those of the first Adam and He identified with the nature of the Father. ( "If you have seen Me you have seen The Father. ")
If He was just human His knowledge of divine mysteries would have been no better than any other human of His day. If this were the case, then His testimony would carry no real weight. He would not have been competent to speak about any issue with absolute authority.

The Bible does not say that God changed into a human being but rather than God became a human being without ceasing to be God. The Bible says that Jesus does not change.

There is ONE God, with three expression ...

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem somewhat confused!!

You don't seem to be able to make the difference between The Son in His glory and the Son when He chose to come here to earth as a man..

Phil 2 "....but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men."

He gave up His essential attributes of Deity when He became a human. In other words, Jesus was a human by choice when He was on the earth.

Scripture shows that
Jesus was always conscious of the fact that He was God. Those who say that Jesus ceased being God when He came to earth attempt to make Him into a fallible human being with limitations just like the rest of us. Yet He was both...He identified with those of the first Adam and He identified with the nature of the Father. ( "If you have seen Me you have seen The Father. ")
If He was just human His knowledge of divine mysteries would have been no better than any other human of His day. If this were the case, then His testimony would carry no real weight. He would not have been competent to speak about any issue with absolute authority.

The Bible does not say that God changed into a human being but rather than God became a human being without ceasing to be God. The Bible says that Jesus does not change.

There is ONE God, with three expression ...
For a point of clarification: I never said that Jesus ceased to be 100% divine God during His time on Earth and very much believe the opposite.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

But, you know that I do not trust you.

Stranger

Agree with you there.
It's very subtle ...

~.~ 1lg147amen.gif

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Again, if you have any questions feel free to ask directly over the board or (better) via PM. I am very experienced addressing concerns for people who want to listen.

If you wish to push the Mormon religion then do so in a new thread , that is what these boards are for.

Although I have to agree with @Stranger Mormons are not " Christians".
Christians follow Christ. Mormons follow the teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young . ..QUOTE:- "The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood---was begotten of his Father as we were of our fathers. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" ... :rolleyes:

Yep, been there done that study long ago.
But...this is not the correct thread for all this Mormon stuff...we are all off topic. @Rollo Tamasi by the way Rollo , what IS the Topic? :D :D

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the only thing you missed out on wasAnd the Most Important of All- After finding Salvation, you realize how much time you wasted not expressing to others About the Wonderful Love Of God, and living with the Regrets from your PAST!!!! GOD FORGIVES but as long as we live we will always remember the rock that we crawled out from under, and then we were able to Stand on THE ROCK, What a Blessing !- Being addicted which allowed you to make a fool of yourself with other fools.
spending valuable time searching for the Stuff you would be Addicted to.
Becoming Paranoid about every one! and then harming them with outbreaks of Anger!
Fits of Rage!
destroying relationships.

And the Most Important of All- After finding Salvation, you realize how much time you wasted not expressing to others About the Wonderful Love Of God, and living with the Regrets from your PAST!!!! GOD FORGIVES but as long as we live we will always remember the rock that we crawled out from under, and then we were able to Stand on THE ROCK, What a Blessing !

Oh how true is this! I spent most of my life under that rock...and how I always wished I was born into a Christian-believing family. I would not have a very interesting testimony, I imagine, lol! And that would be just fine with me! ♥

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you wish to push the Mormon religion then do so in a new thread , that is what these boards are for.
That is not my purpose here at all (I consider such pushing by anyone to be tacky at best, more commonly far worse). My offer was just that if you wanted me to explain any thing (misconceptions abound), I'd be happy to answer.

I'm here to celebrate Christ with other folks that love Christ. :) Thus far I have been very happy with Christ-loving threads here-- it's been a welcomed thing.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a TON of misconceptions about the LDS faith out there. If you have any questions about any in particular and honestly want to hear the answers, feel free to just come out and ask me over the board or via PM (PM would probably be better actually- more personal).

As ByGrace said, the forum is the place for the discussion. You have said you are very experienced in answering questions about Mormonism, as I knew you were. And yet you disregard the questions I have asked in post #30. You only tell me there are misconceptions.

Yet, you, as experienced in Mormon beliefs and doctrine, know full well the reasons why Christianity has rejected Mormonism though you do not believe they should. And do you agree that Mormonism has been rejected by Christiainty?

You will tell me, just ask a question. Ok. Why is Mormonism a cult?

Stranger

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh how true is this! I spent most of my life under that rock...and how I always wished I was born into a Christian-believing family. I would not have a very interesting testimony, I imagine, lol! And that would be just fine with me! ♥

Being born into a Christian Family?????????? It can be Great, and It can be Destructive. My Wife came from a family of believers, everyone believed her brother was called to be a pastor, after loosing his first son, all he did was drink himself to death! My Wife's sister had her time sowing her wild Oat's, then became the Extreme Judge, If she thought you were out of Line, She would Interrogate you, and she was relentless! still is! Her Parent's were soft, kind Heart-ed, and over protective, I must admit I Love them.

I have had the pleasure of knowing a few families that were very close, with their Faith being the mortar, they were Great Folk's!
I think we just had to live as we were, so that when the Divine Appointment occurred, we knew to grab a hold, I know that I was drawn, and likewise so were you, as there are many out there that recognized the Love that the Spirit presented to US! I will never forget that Day!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy