Looking For A Good Hardcover Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TaiidanMan

Jun 24, 2009
What is the most accurate translation? I'm kind of a stickler for hardcover books (of any kind).Any specific publisher and version I should look at for a big, thick, hardcover Bible?thanks

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Hello there!Oldé King James Version is the most accurate translation. To get the better of understanding God's Words. I prefer and recommend using the Oldé KJV with Strong's Concordance (to look at the words of Hebrew and Greek words and definition to see what English words are being translated from the Hebrew and Greek.
smile.gif
Blessings

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
We recommend KJV and a strong's concordance you can easily convert every word back to the original Hebrew or Greek the older versions are actually better because they put the translators added words are normally in parentheses so easy to spot some of the newer editions they are just integrated into the text ... I personally also enjoy the Companion Bible as it has the English on one side the Hebrew Greek translations on the other it also has a great Appendix at the back there is a condensed version on line you can look at ... but remember its condensed not the whole book http://www.companionbiblecondensed.com/here's a link to Appendix'sSorry Jordan seems we posted at same time as each other again:)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

gumby

May 29, 2009
The best translations for me would be american standard and the king james version. Be sure and get the old versions of both though not the new. For my prefrence i wouldent recomend buying an NIV either.

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
I still think the best bet is to get a KJV study bible. But I agree as far as which bible is the most accurate it is most definitely the KJV.

Semachiah

Apr 7, 2008
Shalom,If you really want to be accurate you must leave the traditional translations used by most Christians. The KJV has so many small errors that add up quickly (1) and is really nothing more than the Statement of Faith of The Church of England who translated it. You would do better to pick up a couple of different translations. For the Old Testament the most accurate available text is from the Mesoretic Text which is the most original scrolls still kept in Jerusalem. The only such book that I know of is the Stone Edition Tanach (SET).For the New Testament I reccomend the Power New Testament (PNT). It is not word-for-word accurate but rather is accurate to the spirit of The Word as it would have been seen and written by a Jew (the writers of the NT). Then I suggest you also get a Complete Jewish Bible as a concise overall view that is contained in one source.The author of the PNT is preparing to release a complete work as well but accuracy to the letter of The Word or the spirit of The Word is to be seen. I would hope that he would find a way to simply add the PNT to the SET. ******(1) The errors are so numerous that Dr. Robert Young of Scotland noted that he found over 2000 errors in the four Gospels that were merely omissions of dearly needed articles of speech. That is why he wrote what is named the Young's Literal Translation. It is a hard to read book however and thus is not the book of choice for most.The KJV is a beautiful read that is easy to memorize but it really not very accurate at all. An easy example of this fact comes from the book of Isaiah where we read...Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. - KJV ...BUT in the SET we see that it should read...Isa 9:5 For a child has been born to us, a son has been given to us, and the dominion will rest on his shoulder; the Wondrous Adviser, Mighty G_D, Eternal Father, called his name Sar-shalom {Prince of Peace]; - SETSurely I pray how you can see a major difference in these two versions?The KJV makes Y'SHUA out to be YHVH whereas the Masoetic Text shows that there was a difference.I would also suppliment your choice of a Bible with a copy of the NASB (New American Standard Bible)YHVH has told us to...2 Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - KJV...and because of the different interpretations of The Word that we possess this is truly the best course of action for us. We simply cannot trust just any one version but must examine as many as possible. The problem we find with most of the "popular" translation is that they are all working from the same base. The KJV started with The Textus Receptus (TR) but then "they" supplied the TR for everyone to use after that as well as the Concordance that everyone used. Thus it became a case of me telling you what the words say and then you putting them into your own words from what I had told you. Thus inaccuracy supplied and added to further inaccuracy. The PNT is the first New Testament book to at least use the Wescott and Hort Greek manuscript as well as all other available manuscripts and fragments to compile a more accurate version of the truth but not a literal word-for-word interpretation.Thus as I stated as the beginning of this post...If you really want to be accurate you must leave the traditional translations used by most Christians.Mar 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. - KJV